Campaign folder release goals

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Campaign folder release goals

Post by Ronan »

IMO, Minimum:
  • Nothing built incorrectly.
  • Nothing overriding non-ABR resources, whether in haks or modules.
  • Nothing which will need to be renamed later.
  • Nothing which will need to be removed later.
Dealing with dependencies in NWN2 is hell. If you need to rename a resref, you need to grep everything that resref could be in. If its in some spawn points, its total hell to go through all the areas the grep turns up, then all the waypoints in those areas (part of the reason why I should've made all spawn points require global scripts, not local variables).

For the above reason, I don't think we need more than one of anything. One goblin humanoid 1. One MW longsword. One adult blue dragon. If we want to randomize anything about them we should do so via script.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Campaign folder release goals

Post by Zelknolf »

Might want to broaden to 'no duplicate resource names' -- which is a general goal for our module v. core content stuff anyway. If there's only one of any given thing, it's a whole mess easier to figure out what it's doing.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Ronan wrote:For the above reason, I don't think we need more than one of anything. One goblin humanoid 1. One MW longsword. One adult blue dragon. If we want to randomize anything about them we should do so via script.
Here, here.

Also, we need to figure out why the heck the campaign folder is 'randomly' deleted. I currently believe it may have something to do with some combination of file locking between the toolset, the player client, the DM client, and / or git.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

No duplicate file names would go along with not overriding module resources, though I edited and changed that to just not overriding any non-ABR resources. By definition the campaign folder is the latest version of the ABR, so we'd want it to override stuff.

Git doesn't lock when its not doing anything.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

What if I try to push or pull while the toolset, server, or player client is open?