Content Creation: Items

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I don't have that source book, but generally, if an item is rooted in canon and passes Standards inspection, then it can be included in a release.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

I'd suggest there's greater utility in low-magic generic wands, rings etc (both for PC and NPC use) than in book-based Wondrous Items. I think they ought certainly to be a higher priority right now than making an ALFA Robe of Vecna or whatever.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

ç i p h é r wrote:I got snagged on the 2DA updates myself. Notably the v1.05 changes which broke backward compatibility. Are you attempting to merge any of the 2DAs at the moment?
I only made significant headway on the appearance.2da, which I uploaded to the repository last night. (somewhat offtopic for ABR items, but is important re: item properties). I've seen some posting now that suggest that custom tlks and 2das are working, they just don't display properly in the toolset. If so, we may be able to properly add Nondetection and such, not sure when I'll have a chance to test this (maybe next week?)
ç i p h é r wrote:I'll exclude the wondrous items unless you're almost done. I've promised Standards the opportunity to review these prior to release.
Thanks- I'll probably try to pull Rusty or ATD's ear for a bit when I've got the Wonderous Items nearly done, as I can predict a few items that will definitely be in need of disscussion- best to vet the list somewhat before it goes to full review. I'll import what you've got to my OAS script testbed mod before then, and try to spot any convention changes you've made, so they can be preserved in the more "final" version.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Is there a list of what still needs to be done? I saw some old posts by Ronan that we can use a plugin to create potions and scrolls, etc.

I may have a look at creating armor, helms, and some of the low level magic items from the new Compendium sourcebook.

Anyways, just need some direction before I spend any time on them. Also, I'm assuming I would just select created items from an export function and throw my work into an erf?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

HEEGZ wrote:Is there a list of what still needs to be done? I saw some old posts by Ronan that we can use a plugin to create potions and scrolls, etc.
Not specific items but specific sourcebooks. Primarily the PHB and DMG. When creating items, be mindful of the item creation guidelines in the wiki.
Anyways, just need some direction before I spend any time on them. Also, I'm assuming I would just select created items from an export function and throw my work into an erf?
Correct. Then put your erf on the tech ftp. :)
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Make sure you read the Item Pricing Revision threads so you're getting the numbers right. ^^

cipher, concerning Ronan's Item creation plug-in, do you know if the no-save problem was ever fixed? If not, we need to either fix it or start making all the +1 skill, +2 skill, +1 magic, common potions, scrolls etc that we actually need for the PW rather than piles of Wondrous Items.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I linked the pricing standards to the item creation guidelines in the wiki so people don't have to go hunting around for that information.

I don't recall all the specifics of Ronan's plugins but they are several versions out of date, and as such, they're not usable atm. We'd need to recompile them for the latest version of the toolset and that requires a suitable windows compiler. But I agree. Having the standard fare of +1 to +5 magical items will be more important early on than high end magical items. So if you want to help make items but don't quite care what, please start with those.

Oh and if anyone's got Visual Studio or an equivalent windows compiler, please let me know. :)
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

A fully-working magic item generator plugin is about the single most useful thing in terms of item generation - I'll have revised pricing finalised by the end of this week - as making every potion, scroll, and mundane/minor magic item by hand is a task almost Sisyphean in nature. It's a damned shame Ronan's plugin is obsolete, although if he did previously get it fully operative there may just be an erf hanging around somewhere containing 1,000 man-hours of lewt.