Base Mod Content Thread: Sounds

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Wynna
Dungeon Master

Base Mod Content Thread: Sounds

Post by Wynna »

This post will summarize all sound suggestions for the NWN2 ALFA Base Mod. General and specific suggestions welcome but please read the summary before suggesting new sounds or their specific details.

Thank you.

Summary last edit by OC March 06

* Instrument Sounds for PCs: Drums/Guitar/Lute/Violin/Harp/Flute/Piano/Harpsicord/Trumpet/Kazoo
* Instrument Sounds in toolset
* Generic sound trigger in the pallette(document in the comments section on how to add sounds to it)
* Generic sound invisible placeable in the toolset (document in the comments section how to add sounds to it.)
*Custom sounds
-The area that SFX covered in the original was too small. Running water can be heard from 50 metres away, not 10. So a set of environmental customised SFX with expanded ranges should be included.
- 'set' of SFX (Forest - Night, Forest - Day, Rural - Day etc..) in addition to the ambient SFX in area properties.
Last edited by Wynna on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy the game
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

There was a very good suggestion in the brainstorming forum regarding Bardic Music. At a minimum, this could include instrument sounds to supplement story telling.

Instrument Sounds:

Drums
Guitar/Lute
Violin
Harp
Flute
Piano/Harpsicord
Trumpet
Kazoo

Creating notes that can be individually played seems excessive, but I'll note it anyway in case it may be more feasible than I imagine.
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

Not sure if my suggestion is what Cipher means. I get the impression you mean sounds in game that a PC can choose to play. Mine is the same request for instrumental music, but as toolset objects. I'd love to have a piano piece playing where I place a piano, and a harp piece playing where I place a harp. And I'd like sounds to be available in game to the DM to place on the fly, but I think that's something Bioware would have to do.
Enjoy the game
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Placeable sounds are also playable sounds. We can associate those sounds to usable instruments for PCs to make it work that way. I guess the real difference is in how builders want to use them.

You're right about placing sounds on the fly, but what we could do is create invisible objects that loop the specific sounds in question.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

can we attach sounds to triggers.

Im speaking of the ones from the convo editor. There is such a variety there from flies buzzing to fireballs going off, wood creaking etc.....Would be great to utilize some of that..Say place a placeable of flies and actually have them sound like flies when you get near. Would make laying corpses much more interesting. :twisted:

Also will we be able to "export" our current music hak or will we have to create one from scratch?
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

All haks will be made redundant, but music is an easy hak to recreate, given no remodelling needs to be done.

Custom sounds need to go in the basemod. The area that SFX covered in the original was too small. Running water can be heard from 50 metres away, not 10. So a set of environmental customised SFX with expanded ranges should be included, plus 'set' of SFX (Forest - Night, Forest - Day, Rural - Day etc..) in addition to the ambient SFX in area properties.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

You can attach scripts to triggers (or anything for that matter) that play sounds.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Another useful feature would be the capacity to play sounds until a goal had been achieved, and then for those sounds to stop.

It was odd in NWN1 OC to have freed all the prisoners (or killed them) to to still have "ARGHHH!!!!" "Please help me!" etc etc playing every 10 seconds.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

Indio..does that require an OnEvent type thing ?

Anything else on sounds folks? Summaries have begun.