ALFA 03--The Savage Frontier

For discussion and formation of server proposals and teams.
Overfilled Cup
Orc Champion

Post by Overfilled Cup »

I will commit to help build here. My focus thus far has been on the interiors for Cormanthor..including the areas, NPCs..stores convos and whatever else was needed. I have to beg borrow and steal and scripting i need done and has thus far been my biggest challenge.

I am well versed in the current toolset and and love making custom gear. I see no reason we should offer bioware gear in our stores unless its a discount palace.

OC
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Jaw-droppingly good news, OC.
Ludo
Shambling Zombie

Decision

Post by Ludo »

I will DM in Silverymoon if possible, otherwise play there.

I will build anywhere except Silverymoon and wherever I play. I don't know where I'll play because I only know Silverymoon. Can you folks help me be more specific?

I assure you of my genuine interest! I'd like to talk more by PM about how I can help best.
Ludo means "I play." Elm Terese, frozen in TSM - Granny Ludo, occasional OAS DM - occasional moderator
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

I think I've got it, Ludo. You'd like to sign on as a Live DM for Silvy? That's very cool news. I'll add you as a Live DM, but not as builder. Sound good?
Ludo
Shambling Zombie

I talked to the man.

Post by Ludo »

I said, "Indio, I'd also like to help out before we go live. I'm not hopeless as a builder and scripter. Are there other 'before we go live' jobs I might be suited for? My interest is in game design, so I'm almost more interested in before than after."

He said, "Wow. Now I get it." He asked me to explain the role I want, "as well as it can be explained."

According to the book A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster, I'm a natural-born game designer. I have both logical and empathic skills. My ultimate purpose is to design a game in my world, the one I've been playing with since the late eighties. NWN2 will provide a game engine that I can afford and can use without getting another MS in Computer Design. Mine predates PCs.

ALFA is the perfect place for me to learn to do that, because ALFA attracts many types of players, builders, DMs, etc. I want my game to appeal to many types, as it's about how many types of people can somehow, with drama and sometimes through violence, learn to get along. The ALFA discussions of issues, flames and all, are great data.

I don't know how I want to help with TSF because I don't know enough about the design/building/debugging process to predict where I'll fit in best. That's probably my big advantage to you folks. I'm not limited by knowing how it's been done before. In other contexts my ancient ignorance has been an advantage. Where most people see two sides to a question, I generally see nine. Where someone might see one way to do something, I generally see nine, six of which turn out not to work and two of which work better than the one way someone sees. If someone decides to keep talking, even if only to tell me what an idiot I am, someone and I generally come up with a tenth way that really works.

That makes me horrid at doing anything I have done before and anything that someone else who's available already knows exactly how to do. Luckily for me, lots of things don't fall in those categories.

So here I am, an ancient ignoramus on the threshold of chaos. I'm sure you'll figure out something to do with me.
Ludo means "I play." Elm Terese, frozen in TSM - Granny Ludo, occasional OAS DM - occasional moderator
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

I'll say that I'm a longshot. My personal life, career, and priorities just aren't in line with something that's this much work, and I'm the kind of person that likes to do my best if I'm going to make an effort. If I am able, it would likely be here.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Thank you Ludo and Duck. Such will be noted in the proposal.

Well, that's everyone whose put their names up. I'll PM you all our forum link soon where you can take a look at the proposal and we can discuss how to proceed.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Im in.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Outstanding news, Al.
yavanion
Shambling Zombie

Post by yavanion »

Indio...

Will High Forest be part of this Server ?... After doing some research im interested in doing some design/layout of the place...

/H
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Actually High Forest falls into the server below this one Yav. Maybe some of the extreme fringes will be in TSF, but not the majority. At this stage anyways. Sorry
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Indio is putting the finishing touches on the latest version of this proposal, which will no doubt be ready in the near future.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

I'd say around the end of July, and if the date gets pushed back, I'll probably continue work on it beyond then.