ALFA documentation wiki

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Re: ALFA documentation wiki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Awesome. Thanks, Hialmar. Let us know when the permission change is live, and I'll get to some work on it.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

As will I
12.August.2015: Never forget.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Been working on adding some stuff to the wiki, just migration at the moment.

Could tech get permission to upload images? We have some visual tutorials on how to use the new tools and perform basic DM functions that could be migrated over.

- - - - -

Edit:

Another request: Could we get a couple of tweaks made to the MediaWiki install? Namely, I'd really like to credit and link other wikis nicely, as well as have a unifying section for some pages. For example, the manuals/guides would be very nice if they had what you see on Wikipedia some times: breakdowns at the bottoms, alerts at the top. To accomplish this we need support for preprocessors, such as #ifeq and #switch.

To use these we need the ParserFunctions extension.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

I think I have activated ParserFunctions.
Edit: it seems to work. I have tested with: {{#expr: 1/3 round 5 }}

I'm searching for a way to configure the rest.

If you know about this Foam, please do. I have set both of us as sysops for the Wiki.

Edit: I think I have added image upload now.
It works:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/Wiki/index.php/Hialmar_Test

For now everyone can upload images. I can restrict this to another group but I will have to add people from this group manually.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Awesome, thanks Hialmar. Everything seems to be working now. I've ported over our player manuals and DM manuals, working on tech now. A lot of stuff is woefully out of date. Need to start making it better organized and prettier too. But, not bad for the first day.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Okay I have further refined that.

Anonymous users cannot create pages or edit them.

Standard users (ie ALFA members) cannot upload images.

I have created a "tech" group which allows users to upload images.
I can create other such groups as required.

Foam and I are admins and can add people to those groups.

Edit: all the access rights by groups are listed here:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/Wiki/index. ... roupRights
If you see something that doesn't looks good I can modify those rights but only in a configuration file.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Nice that it is used.

When you think everything is ready, please tell me and I'll change the links at the top of the website to point to the wiki.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Actually, one more extension: Scribunto.

It will let us generate, among other things, those handy navigation panes found at the bottom of articles. So we'll need the module, Navbox (which uses Scribunto) which, in turn, might need the Navbar and HtmlBuilder modules.

May also require some tweaks to the CSS... Actually, eventually, would be nice to edit a lot of the CSS and theme the wiki to fit better with the website. Done that stuff before, it's just a bit tedious. I can do a private install of MediaWiki to work on that though, so shouldn't need FTP access (unless you get tired of adding those modules or updating CSS files to support them).

Granted, if I'm going to theme the wiki to match the website, should also consider if we're happy or not with the current website theme. Have heard several people comment on being jealous at other PW's sites, but I find ours to be plenty fine visually.

Looks like I'll be in documentation mode for the foreseeable future...
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

I have checked this and it is based on Lua and a ton of things so I will have to look at that with more time (I'm at work now).
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

It should be safe to use from what Google suggests. Wikipedia uses it, for both their bottom navigation bars, and their side info bars. May even use it for their message boxes, though we didn't have it when I made ours, so I just made my own.

Only critical thing is to make sure you restrict access to the module namespace so that only sysops can create or modify modules.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Wiki work is actually progressing quite nicely. For any interested in helping (be it contributions, edits, inaccurate information reports, or what have you), it's at: http://www.alandfaraway.org/Wiki/

Hialmar, could I get FTP access to the CSS files? Some design parts for various formatted information panes that would be a lot less tedious to work with if I could define commonly used style data.

In related news, any update on Scribunto?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Nice, thanks for spearheading this Foam. This might breathe new life into some aspects of things. Definitely have some things I've been wanting to add/tweak to documentation for a while.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Are you sure you can't do without Scribunto ?

I'm a bit worried with this thing as it is unfinished (and therefore may have security issues) and ties Lua with Php adding Lua's security issues to Php's ones and hence to the website.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Hialmar wrote:Are you sure you can't do without Scribunto ?

I'm a bit worried with this thing as it is unfinished (and therefore may have security issues) and ties Lua with Php adding Lua's security issues to Php's ones and hence to the website.
We can try it without, but it'd just mean a lot more work. Most people use that, including Wikipedia, so I'll have to try to make my own smarter templates using the preprocessor. What's really ideal at the moment is access to CSS, which I'll try doing now.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

The problem is that it requires PCRE >= 8.10 when debian only has 8.02.

Which means I will have to compile it from source and then tie it with the version of PHP that I have. I don't like to do this because it will cut me from the standard debian package and thus the debian updates won't work for it.

Let's try without and if you find it to be too much of a problem I'll install it and make sure not to forget to check for new versions from time to time.