ALFA documentation wiki

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
Rumple C
Bard

ALFA documentation wiki

Post by Rumple C »

So...

Our documentation is way out of date/obsolete/inaccessible in many areas.

What say you to the idea of putting a wiki together, initially with rules and such. Perhaps expandable later on to include well known alfa history/server lore.

I would work upon such a thing, and have had the offer of help from another as well.

This way we can do away with the drupal mess.

*Edit - A great way to keep track of active dm's and player factions as well. Members can add or remove their names/groups as they live/die.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Re: ALFA documentation wiki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I couldn't agree more. Our current drupal system is not ideal for documentation. There is no edit history, isn't visually ideal, etc. It's also great for character bios, in-game information (for instance, ALFA-specific lore), and rules.

Hialmar, would you be willing to add an ALFA wiki?
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

matti did quite some work on it this summer/fall... ill poke him towards this thread
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Not again :(

I did it in the past (at least twice) and each time it finished empty because no-one wanted to copy over all the stuff we have in the actual documentation.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Maybe if folk commit to transitioning the documentation before the wiki goes in?

Of course I'll be on the list of those saying "Not it." -- but a signup list of people making specific promises, like "I will move [section of documentation] to the wiki within [timeline] of the wiki going live" could be a demonstration that this isn't another bit of whimsy and that people are willing to work on it.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Okay let's do it like that.

Even though I'm pretty sure the two last times some people actually said they would do it...

Let's just hope that the mediawiki/drupal integration module won't be as bugged as the phpBB3 / drupal one that I had to remove completely (people logging as other people is not what you want ;) ).

Edit: looks like the integration module was last updated in 2009 for drupal 6 :(
https://drupal.org/project/mediawikiauth
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Here is the last time I did it:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpBB3/view ... ki#p538589

Now if only I could find the installation again. The link I gave in the thread is no longer valid.
Edit: found it. I removed it when we got hacked. I should be able to find how I did it from there. Can't reuse it directly as it may include hacked php files.

A quick search for mediawiki in the forums also point to this:
MediaWiki is good indeed but I don't know how to make parts of a wiki private.

Edit: you can read this in detail and you'll see that it's not really adapted:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pr ... ific_pages
Is it okay to everyone that we won't have private sections for DMs and such as we have in drupal or the forums ?
So no PC Bios online for example.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

If the goal is just documentation, I imagine we could do quite well without any integrations?

I guess I'd ask the folk more likely to be using it more; chances are I'd just be converting release notes and then writing the new ones on the wiki, which has pretty low requirements (that is, anything with a text box that I can type into and provide some kind of formatting).
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

The integration works.

It is here:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/Wiki

If you are in the "Team - Documentation" usergroup in the forums you should be able to login using the link on the top right of the page.

Let's see if it will be more used than the old one ;)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Could we get tech on there as well? Presumably we'd be responsible for maintaining our own release notes.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I don't think we need any restriction other than "approved member". This isn't Drupal, we can see who edits pages and revert pages if they change in an undesired way. There's no need to be restricted, and by being less so, it opens the wiki for better maintaining. (For example, Wikipedia works so well because anyone can edit and monitor, not because it's maintained by a select few trained individuals.)

As another note, it isn't checking passwords correctly. Putting in a password with symbols in it failed to work. Had to change my password to something more basic to go from "invalid password" to a permission error.
thinkpig
Orc Champion

Post by thinkpig »

I am not useful in a tech capacity but I would be willing to offer proof reading, copy editing and writing to a wiki effort if it would be of use to anyone. I think a Wiki would be fantastic!
"So Mom, Dad... about that gold those guys brought me when I was a baby. You remember that GOLD, right?" - Jesus
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Probably also going to need some grunt work to just move information into the wiki, if you're up for it piggy. If we want to put the latest incarnation of the tool to good use, we'd want to spend some time making that conversion and turning the many/disparate/often-self-contradictory Drupal pages to links to the hopefully-easier-to-maintain Wiki pages.
thinkpig
Orc Champion

Post by thinkpig »

OK, you know where to find me.
"So Mom, Dad... about that gold those guys brought me when I was a baby. You remember that GOLD, right?" - Jesus
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

I can open access to all ALFA members but then we most probably need to moderate it.

Wikipedia works well because it is heavily moderated.

Anyway, let's try trusting our members and if it doesn't work I'll head back to only access to the documentation team.
Edit: it's done now. Every member can edit the wiki.

I'll look into the password hashing code and compare it to phpBB3. It should be straight forward so I don't see what the problem could be there.
Edit: the code looks a bit different. Maybe it evolved in phpBB3. I'll just use the one in phpBB3. I'll do that tomorrow if I can.