Spell components required for significant spells

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Re: Spell components required for significant spells

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

t-ice wrote:
Zelknolf wrote:
By canon the duration is only 10 minutes / level after all
Why you folks talkin' bout Stoneskin's duration like it isn't currently 10 minutes/level?
It is, but it's also about as long as hour per level. Or a significant part of a game session. So it is clearly of more strategic utility than canon. PW comic book time realities, I know. But it compounds the cheapness of the buff making it an obvious staple wheteas by canon other options are more attractive.
That is a problem with how short hour/level spells are, not on 10 minute/level spells' duration.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

SwordSaintMusashi wrote:That is a problem with how short hour/level spells are, not on 10 minute/level spells' duration.
*goes back to campaigning for the 55 minute hour?*
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

Zelknolf wrote:
SwordSaintMusashi wrote:That is a problem with how short hour/level spells are, not on 10 minute/level spells' duration.
*goes back to campaigning for the 55 minute hour?*
Haha, not meant to be a campaign for any change to spell duration at the moment: just pointing out its a separate issue and not to let this become further derailed.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Brokenbone wrote:Some RP spells, you'll find players and DMs roll with expensive components, as part of call it the "accommodation" of odd RP spell tricks. Scry, may have a 1000gp mirror (arcane), 100gp font full of holy water (divine), or a puddle (druid divine). People crafting a bag of holding known to seek someone with a 5000gp reusable mini-chest model. Basically some RP spells, people do get together on the topic.

In engine spells though, yeah, it's really only Raise, Resurrection type stuff where you worry about thousands and thousands in gold. I've seen RP use of Reincarnate when a wandering Underdark druid was the only option take 1000gp components too (the poor man's Raise!)
Yea, I have spent 1000gp on reincarnation of Bu's first animal companion way back.

I'd also happily spend the money for Hallow (creates 'Holy Ground' where a "spell effect" lsts for 1 year within a small radius), and the spell effect don't need to be actually THERE but for the RP. This spell gets up in the thousands as well depending on the spell effect esired for the Hallow.

We all agree SS is P|-|4T. It's the freakin' bomb buff is what it is... but the conversation about the 250gp per casting was mulled over for a long time before, and not too many thought it was a good idea. I ain't gonna lie, me likka long time yo. But i'd be sooooome sick-n-tired researching EVERY other spell from 0-lvl to 9th-lvl, for all spellcasting classes - even bard, ranger and Pallies... to make sure every spell ever cast came with it's "due GP cost". /end-sarcasm.. .I love you!
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Too harsh an idea for our current playerbase.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

I believe material component cost is always deducted at casting-time, as adjusting the gp value of consumables is bug-ridden (the final value is sometimes not the base value + any additional value, which is why we had to rely on the 2das to price them). No idea where the raise dead code was moved to though, and I don't have access to the game currently.