Using the crafting system as a shop interface?

Ideas and suggestions for game mechanics and rules.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Using the crafting system as a shop interface?

Post by t-ice »

Since we now have the shiny automated crafting in, maybe we could increase the milage of the code already created:

Hook up the crafting so that PCs can also buy items from NPC crafters "made to order". Instead of demanding the feat etc and costing xp, you just pay more gold - just like any item we do currently have in a shop. Use a markup for these "NPC crafters on demand" so as to not make all others shops pointless, say PCs paying something like 125% of base price (price should of course be a variable for the DM team(s) to set, like it is for shops).

All servers have large enough cities that all potions/scrolls/wands should ICly be at least as easily available on the market as they are to find the resources needed to craft. Restricting access to the "create item" interface for only those with the craft feats artificially increases the value of those feats. This makes every other PC wanting to be a crafter, not because of story and RP reasons or canon rules, but because only crafters have access to our DM-less item creation interface. Whereas by the rules every PC should be able to access pretty much the same - it's called the marketplace in this here major city.

What y'all think?
Keryn
Ogre

Re: Using the crafting system as a shop interface?

Post by Keryn »

Sounds like an idea. I think in MS I saw something like an option in an NPC shot to commission an item. Not sure if it does something though.
<Kest> "what am i running away from? i dont know but it sounds big and large!!"
---
<@Veilan> I like sausage.