The Maw of Greed - Raldin Thunderbeard's missives and musings

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Holy_Rage
Defender of Elven Values

The Maw of Greed - Raldin Thunderbeard's missives and musings

Post by Holy_Rage »

Uktar 7th, 1400 Dale Reckoning, The Year of Lost Ships

Let there be no doubt: where Need arises, Greed answers. And such an axiom I uphold proudly, a banner nontarnishable, pristine and glorious, untouched by the feeble ramblings of the rest of the Mordinsamman. For where the incursions of the Meaningless Frolickers of the Feywild seek to make of the Westwood a river of tainted, polluted magicks, the Grim Lord of the Mountains blesses us with a propitious insight: the mining, refining, smelting, forging and cleaving by means of Cold Iron gear. If we must lust after such a rare and precious boon fiercely, then cold and deadly shall be the path set towards it, much like Cold Iron is tempered by Frost and Fire in equal parts.

'Tis I, then, Raldin of Clan Thunderbeard, Thirdson of Clan Thunderbeard, Exalted Servant of the Mountain's Shadow, who brings word of such a terrible boon: "In the lands of the pallid Elves, where pry we shall a Diamond of Frost and Anguish from the still beating Heart of an Ice Fiend, Offered promptly such shall be to the Mountain's Grim Lord, so that his Hunger Gnawing be satiated and our paltry request be granted!"

Such is the Mountain's will; and broken, ruined and twisted all those who oppose its Lord Terrible and Uncaring; hearken to the words of his Exalted Servant and seek salvation in the ruin of the Frost Diabolical! And in such, we too shall be tempered by adversity, so that our sweat and blood rise to the Mountain's nostrils and match a mere figment of the Glitterhell's illustrious glory!

Current ALFA1 PC: Raldin Thunderbeard

Mourning the passing of:
ALFA NWN1: Tergrash Forgesnuffer, Duergar Lairdson (orc-savaged in Ammarindar), Dalia Kaeldan (Ilmateri), Nermeduk the Gray (Half-Orc wizard) and many others
Holy_Rage
Defender of Elven Values

Re: The Maw of Greed - Raldin Thunderbeard's missives and musings

Post by Holy_Rage »

Nightal 5th, 1400 Dale Reckoning, The Year of Lost Ships

Let there be no doubt: where Need arises, Greed answers. And such an axiom I uphold proudly, a banner nontarnishable, pristine and glorious, untouched by the feeble ramblings of the rest of the Mordinsamman. For where the Guiding Hand of the benevolent and ever ravenous Wyrm of Avarice guides his humble servant, I shall spare nor effort, nor blood toll to accomplish his will. A Hand Guiding led us, a worthy host of False Gold followers, unfaithful and blind to the wonders of the Trove Lord, in the Citadel of the Bloody Hand.

Thither, under the shadow of the Mount itself we toiled in halls ancient hewn by the hands and chisels of our Kin, long forgotten and having faded unto Lethe, or as the Humans would say, Oblivion. Their due met is fair: were they all tireless petitioners of the Glitterhell, their names would not lie forgotten, nor would their Halls be jotted down by history as thrice-sacked by vile Orc Hordes. Yet another proof that the Mordinsamman followers are feeble and weak, their meek gods PALING in comparison to Abbathor's prowess.

'Tis I, then, Raldin of Clan Thunderbeard, Thirdson of Clan Thunderbeard, Exalted Servant of the Mountain's Shadow, who brought the host led by the Lackey and Pawn of Fates Ignorant and Irrelevant Xandos and manned by the Half-Woman of Ignorance Absurd Calliope, the Arrogant Whelp Rako, the Twisted Mage Gnome Wyk and Blindbeard Galen in the said Citadel. Long have we toiled and much was vanquished. Throngs of Humanoids sought to rebuke us; vile storms of Unmagic sought to undo us; slimy goblins, full of wroth and filth, sought to defy us from shadow and ambush alike; and vile Sorceries were unleashed upon us, from the twisted maws of Ogre Magi, whose descent unto degeneration is untold.

We battled long and hard; of course, I alone shone, the Living Embodiment of the Jeweled Dagger's cruel bite.

Where the lesser ones failed, I encouraged and rallied them unto a semblance of efficiency. Where they sought to break our foes with blind charges, I tempered them with apt shows of tactical retreat. Where they exchanged words of tarrying, allowing our foes to muster and seek advantage against us, I recalled them to the truth of our purpose and herded their feeble minds unto a hammer strike furious to break them.

In the end we prevailed: and Abbathor the Magnaminous, the Ever-Providing, the Benevolent Giver, allowed me ONLY to be gifted with knowledge precious of the Dwarven Tunnels sought in the Sword Mountains, as copied below:

Such is the Mountain's will; and broken, ruined and twisted all those who oppose its Lord Terrible and Uncaring; hearken to the words of his Exalted Servant and seek salvation in the delving of the Sword Mountains, ancient as the land itself! And in such, we too shall be tempered by adversity, so that our sweat and blood rise to the Mountain's nostrils and match a mere figment of the Glitterhell's illustrious glory! To the Sword Mountains promptly, for the FEY BANE is nigh and my time of glory approaches! Let all bend knee and tremble at the sight of Abbathor's boons: for only the worthy shall bask in them!

SIGNED IN HUNGER OF GOLD AND TOLL OF BLOOD ALIKE.
R.-

Mourning the passing of:
ALFA NWN1: Tergrash Forgesnuffer, Duergar Lairdson (orc-savaged in Ammarindar), Dalia Kaeldan (Ilmateri), Nermeduk the Gray (Half-Orc wizard) and many others
Holy_Rage
Defender of Elven Values

Re: The Maw of Greed - Raldin Thunderbeard's missives and musings

Post by Holy_Rage »

Hammer 29th, 1401 Dale Reckoning, The Year of the Sheltered Viper

To the Most Esteemed Master of Greed, Exalted Hoard-Monger, Unhallowed Despot of Misers, His Ever-Counting Watchfulness, Ghaeri Steelaxe,

My Father in Matters Spiritual,

'Tis with heavy heart that I must convene your attention to the following revelations. As you are fully aware, my quest for salvaging the rare and precious cold iron ore veins was nearing its end; for I have received Word directly from our MASTER, a generous revelation to my humble, yet capable self about the location of such a most succulent trove.

I will spare you the details of the fight, for the details are boring, the uninspired lackeys that I were leading were even less colorful than usual and their chaotic, primitive ways of fighting would only create ennui the likes of which I would never dare inflict upon you. Suffice to say that the usual motley crew of the Hall of Heroes, followers of a god whose muscles are bulging, but who is found lacking in ALL other aspects, were capable of downing our debased half-kin: I am speaking of derro, the half-crazed mongreldwarves of the Underdark, whose only interest lies in creating yet ever bigger contraptions making no sense and causing only great pain, least of not all to their very selves. Their maniacal histrionics echoed throughout the depths of the Sword Mountains, passage upon passage painted with their viscera and blood in a senseless display of violence, bearing little semblance of logic or bound towards profit. I watched in disdain as my companions of utility, not choice, mowed their ranks gleefully, burning through their host of precious supplies in their typically simple-minded attitude, whilst I kept "guard of the rear" and spared every single copper piece I could in this gluttonous feast of wasting.

Now, their joy at discovering the cold iron deposits was childish and I supplanted it fully, putting in a display of awe and exuberance! Like a spoiled brat I yelled and prodded them towards the recovery of the shining ore chunks, whilst the -true- treasure lied elsewhere. Indeed, once the derro ranks were thinned, I witnessed with my very eyes a full Gray-Dwarven hunting and mining party. The joyless slavers that they are, the Duergar proved to be much more organized and tenacious and I must blasphemously confide that a shred of dignity shone through their grey, hateful husks. It was there that I took the lead, for truly my brutish companions were fated to fall. Sharing with them a few well placed words of infinite wisdom, their utter blindness was partially lifted and they were able to adopt sound tactics, which ensured the Duergars' downfall.

The price for such a helpful stance was of course the TRUE TREASURE that lied hidden within the Duergar outpost. Of that, you will allow me to hold no description over this most luxurious of parchments, upon which I pen with the finest of inks. For I deign not to reveal that which may fall prey to avid eyes and hungry minds. Upon our next meeting, when we shall feast over Abbathor's Cage and a suitable sacrificial ritual, I shall speak more.

Suffice to say that the fools accompanying me served me well. And via their dedicated toil, I exploited their ignorance and I now relish in the revelations of the Duergar Outpost, which allows me, you, US, to serve our MASTER in ways much more appropriate, refined and efficient.

Keeping the ruse in place, for all Humans care about are flashy magicks and tall tales, I returned to my misbegotten hosts. O, how I hate their bright lights and lacquered, wooden halls. I yearn and lust after dark passages made of perfectly hewn and smooth stone, brass braziers sputtering and reeking with the stench of half-charred sacrifices and broken finery crunching satisfyingly under my steel boots. But endure I do, for the sake of our plan.

I must admit to you, Father, that in these times of wanton exile, even the mind-numbing company of the idiot named Kifeg Cragsbrow seems welcome at times. The axe-wielding ruffian had his own way with the world; his mind was blunt as a rusty pick abandoned for eons untold in the most barren of mines and his table manners were atrocious, in direct parallelism with his wood-elf poor vocabulary, consisting mostly of Human-like grunts and sneers. But many times have we shouted "DARE AND BEWARE" together, entering fray after fray whereupon my tactical genius earned us surprisingly easy victories.

Then I recall his senseless death and realize that his bones returning to the cold, uncaring earth are his only useful input in my endeavors.

The Humans stir anew those days, Father. It is back to the Sword Mountains that I must return with them, repaying the "favor" they did me. If only they knew... At least this time I find myself back in the Shadow of the Mountain, its frozen and wind-battered heights drowning their endless, useless banter in its raw power. Found they have a way to taint even our beloved homelands, ours by right unbreakable: I encountered a tribe of debased Human-like mammals, calling themselves the Sky Pony tribe. Considering myself amused by their antics, I now seek to assist and accomplish the primitive rites of passage of one of their members, a young, bright fool named Em, who is afraid of nothing but flaming axes and growling basilisks. Ha! I was even able to secure one of their loincloths, in a bizarre ceremony of acceptance to their ranks. I am certain that profit lies nearby; I wish to see what the Storm Mountains keep in tow for me while weaving my net of deception further.

Let the Humans toil and strive for what their petty minds order them to. Let them keep an eye ahead of our ranks, certain of their success in securing a most worthy ally such as myself.

Their deaths shall come from the Shadows behind them; the moment they prove themselves -expendable-.

Salutations of Greed and Wanton Hoarding,
Your Student Most Apt and Favored.
Raldin Thunderbeard.

Mourning the passing of: