The Daily Trumpet

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Electryc
Wyvern

The Daily Trumpet

Post by Electryc »

Medicine Bag Shortage.

With sickness on the rise, and pestilence in the air. The Dock Ward and the southerly part of the city is in chaos. It's only natural that the laymens way of healing namely so called, 'medicine bags' are in high demand. Store's are having a hard time trying to keep them in stock. Some customers have been observed hording them. As of this morning Essimeth's General Store in the Adventurer's Quarter was sold out and did not know when his next shipment would arrive. We all know how clerical healing comes at a cost. Those without coin suffer, while those that can cure count coins of the wealthy.

DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Re: The Daily Trumpet

Post by Electryc »

Adventurers Guild Lance a Gur Boil!

Two days ago, the Adventurer’s Guild took proactive action and raided a Gur settlement outside of the city. For too long has the city of Waterdeep had to deal with the petty thefts, garish clothing, foul language, and foreign ways of the Gur. While the more naïve and elite “citizens” of Waterdeep might throw around terms like “unprovoked slaughter of women and children” and “war crimes” and “ethnic cleansing” I want to correct them. The best way to describe this event is “LONG OVERDUE”. Who funded this excursion and tipped off the Adventurer’s Guild to the camps location is unknown but my sources tell me the Guild has a mysterious benefactor pulling their strings?
Could this be the work of the Masked Lords themselves? One thing is for sure – The Adventurer’s Guild have lanced the Gur Boil. Let’s just hope no more pop up.
- The Elf

DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

DOCK WARD SUSTAINS DAMAGE

Perhaps too many nips on the bottle. perhaps the squalid conditions of the southern part of the city? A riot erupted regardless amongst the poor and less fortunate. Looting and pillaging of course ensued. Anything that wasn't bolted down was stolen. Off-duty militia men tried to quell the protesters to no avail. Some on both sides lost their lives. Thankfully at daylight a patrol of our cities finest militia men took control of the situation and ended the brief insurrection. Our Lady of Silver Homeless Shelter, appears to a have taken most of the damage. The building was found empty, but the guard suggests that crimes may have been committed inside.
DM whana-be
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Adventurer's Guild, or Contagion Consortium?

The Guild's sordid history continues unabated, as several reports and eyewitness accounts have noted the members still continually store dead babies among their belongings. For what exact purpose remains unknown, however many suspect it to be related to dark necromancy or work with diseases. The guild has also been observed making frequent trips into the sewers without proper protective equipment and spells, and may have been directly related to the spread of disease in the poorer sections of the dock wards. It should be noted that the guild headquarters itself is less than a few hundred yards from the docks, which is the epicenter of the outbreak.

The new leader of the guild, Dorian, seems to be trying to fortify his standing using underworld connections and outside influence.

The suspected head of the plague rat gang, a halfling known as Maddoch "Maddy" Leatherfeather is known to frequently collude with the guild and has many underworld connections. He is a suspected Wererat, and may be a vector of spreading the disease.

Dorian also appears to have enlisted the help of mercenaries, possibly a Thayan Knight known as Xandos Klaxxan cloaked in their traditional red. Could this be a plot from the Thayans to further assert their will on the people of Waterdeep?

All citizens are cautioned to avoid this guild, and if they must enter, to use face masks to prevent infection.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Hometown Heroes Defend Inn from Itinerants!

The Yawning Portal Inn was a scene of violence and heroics yesterday. Tavern owner Durnan and associates defended their Waterdhavian liberties when itinerants attempted armed robbery inside the establishment.

Several eye-witnesses declined comment, clearly fearing retribution from the mobs. However, Portal regular Gaylon Steel, eagerly told the Trumpet what happened. "This homeless, penniless, and deformed crone tried to steal the very shirt off the back of Durnan! She grabbed his pocket and started pulling like she'd rip it from his frame. Durnan politely told her to stop but she insisted! He had to be firm with her and peacefully yet forcefully positioned her on the ground. Then, all of a sudden, another vagabond dressed from head-to-toe in black, clearly a criminal, rushed at Durnan and assaulted him. Fortunately, Larissa intercepted him, and swiftly neutralized his assault using non-lethal force. She had him pinned to the ground while he cried for his mommy!"

Larissa Neathal is an ex-courtesan now employed at the Yawning Portal.

It seemed the heroes would win the day, yet tragically, this was not to be.

According to sources, the crone then summoned an invisible servant, which emitted a foul odor and screamed with a shrill voice. Taking advantage of the temporary incapacitation caused by the stench, the two criminals were freed by this trickery. Finally showing the only decent judgment and sense they possessed, the cowardly destitutes ran for the door.

Inn patrons stated if it were not for the Durnan's and Larissa's heroism, the Yawning Portal scene would have been blood bath.

Waterdeep social science experts stated the itinerants were most likely from the plague-ridden streets of the Docks Ward. They were attempting to escape their self-inflicted misery by metering violence upon innocent, hard-working citizens.
Last edited by Cleasor on Wed May 20, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

Strumming through the Daily Trumpet you find on page 7 another article about the Adventurer's Guild

OPEN DEBAUCHERY AND CHILD LABOR

Our Daily Trumpet Street Beat reporter Fiddlesbee Freemoth paid a visit to the Adventurers Guild and boy what did he find!

First off I am not in the business of regularly disparaging establishments but I must speak my peace. As I was trying to get a rebuttal and perhaps a fresh perspective after of our previously ran article on this organization. I found the scene of the Adventurer's Guild hall was horrific. Broken plates, broken furniture, and dried blood stains littered the floor. I thought I made a wrong turn and was at The Bloody Fist.

I was preparing to turn and abandon this article for fear of my life and good health. Before I could flee the filth, fleas, blood, and squalor that could be nothing less then the spawning pool of numerous plagues and illness, a young child entered the Guild with his eyes bright and dreams of becoming a hero. I could not call myself a journalist if I did not stay to report what I saw next.

The Adventurer's Guild most notorious Bjorn and the rodent like Pippen Tradeberry along with the Coin Lass they appeared to have been sharing the company of, pounced upon the child with their recruitment speech and indoctrination methods.

Appalled by the sheer audacity of these debauched representatives of the Adventurer's Guild as they preyed upon this innocent wide eyed babe in an effort to conscript him into serving as a child soldier or possibly something worst. I demanded with the aurthority of the press that I be allowed to speak to the Guild Leader immediately!

The larger man by the name of Bjorn said and I quote.
"You have no authority here! No one does."

Without missing a beat the smaller rodent like man named Pippen Tradeberry, whose breath smelled of what I can only describe as sewer scented ham, spoke up and said.

"The Leader? What leader? Keep asking pointed questions paper man and see where that leads."

He was obviously implying violence, and in an effort to insure this story was told, and to perhaps prevent future children from being swallowed by the chaotic predations of the Adventurer's Guild I escaped with my life to share these words with you good people of Waterdeep.

How this legion of miscreats are allowed in the City of Splendors is a mystery that needs to be solved for the good of our city!
DM whana-be
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Waterdeep Bard Sarenna - Drug Addicted, Diseased, and Dating a Violent Gangster!

Fame it seems, takes a heavy toll on even the famous bard of the City of Splendors, Sarenna Irithyl. It seems that she can't get enough of the "bad boy", and apparently went straight from her last known fling from the wrong side of the tracks to another, a member of the Plague Rats gang in the docks. Rumors were abound when her performances dropped off, and several fans in the city reported seeing her with boils and pox marks all over her skin, and seemingly flying into fits of rage when getting soup in the kitchens in the docks. The Trumpet, as always takes such rumors with a grain of salt, and went to verify her presence there in person. Our reporter was shocked to see the state she has descended to, and appears to have become destitute as a result of addiction to Dreammist. Sadly, she confirmed the veracity of the reports.

Whether the addiction and disease (notably confirmed as a throat infection) came from her Plague Rat Gang boyfriend or another source is as yet unknown, but the Trumpet is interested in any information you have on the story. She has been seen visiting him multiple times in his jail cell and reports are there were several screams and grunts heard from his cell. Any readers seeing prostitution services from the Plague Rats should be aware of the risk of the disease spreading to them.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

Murder in the Adventurers Guild!
There has been a murder in the Guild that went unreported! Body was even moved to a makeshift morgue and evidence tampered with. Who is to blame? Several point fingers at some random man finding a key on a dead Guild member and then being the luckiest man alive... Finds the exact Door it opens.. Rents a lady of the night and brings her there for a drugged and drunken good time.. Then kills her!

Coincidence? I say not! That is the lies this supposed Guild spreads.. And when We at the Trumpet try to find out the truth! They threaten me with Violence if I do not leave! Luckily Watch Wizard Sayra was there to set them straight! According to her.. There have been five murders as of late. A hin was seen chatting up with one and paying her coin in return for her services.. She was the Last one to go missing! We have found out their names.
Kalli
Maci
Burtrane
Miri
Jen

They were saints among their profession the rest of them claim. Doing honest work in desperate times. Never over priced I've been told. And now murdered. Kif ashes and broken bottles of whiskey found near all five. The Guild members were reluctant to answer questions when asked but chose to ask more questions in return. So the run around? Or Cover up? I'll let the populace decide!
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

ELF REBELS SEIZE WATERDEEP LAND!

Elves have seized land outside Waterdeeps walls proclaiming illegal sovereignty over the land while they work to assert "THE ELVEN AGENDA". Dozens of highly trained and dangerous elves have banded together with their beady eyes and pointy ears turned south towards Waterdeep. Sources tell us that they will settle for nothing less than quoted, "TOTAL CONQUEST OF WATERDEEP and ENSLAVEMENT of its human residents". Slaves will be put to work tearing down our unparalleled architecture while planting flowers, weeds and trees everywhere!

While they did not start the plague, they have now become spreaders of it. Innocent demi-humans have been ensorcelled by the elves and can be seen within the city sending PLAGUE SPORES shooting from every orifice. BEWARE CITIZENS OF WATERDEEP – There are elves outside the city as well as ELVES WITHIN. The best way to avoid the ELVEN PLAGUE is to cross the other side of the street and call the watch. REPORT ALL ELVES, REPORT ALL PLAGUE SPORE SHOOTERS. Our health and our freedom have never been in greater peril, but by working together we can remain safe within our great city.

Breaking news! Sources report the adventurers guild has been burgled by the elves. DANGEROUS AND EXPERIMENTAL PLAGUE WEAPONS have been stolen and soon to be USED AGAINST WATERDEEP! - Street Beat Reporter Fiddlesbee Freemoth
DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

Lhuvenhead Trading Company, Vile Den of Debauchery

Recently we’ve been contacted by a disgruntled employee BURIED DEEP in the Lhuvenhead Trading Company. We can now reveal that the organization known as the LTC is in fact nothing, but a PLEASURE PALACE created for the SORDID INTER-RACIAL ORGIES directed by the mongrel folk owner KERYN TEOLJORA.

Now that the curtain has been pulled back, we can reveal what lays beneath the robe of this DANGEROUS WIZARD KERYN TEOLJORA. Magically disguised as an elf we can reveal that INCESTUOUS MAGICAL ORGIES have transformed her into a mongrel half dwarf half elf. Worse yet is that to keep up her magical elf illusion she regularly DRAINS AND KILLS ALL MALES WHO DARE LAY WITH HER. Notable adventurers such as Arryn Simple, Kalo Gatecrasher, Kal Armless, Murgen Stinkbox, and Korsan Blackmane have all been DRAINED OF THEIR LIFE-FORCE AT THE MOMENT OF CLIMAX.
Known to be INTIMATELY INVOLVED WITH THE ELVEN AGENDA and the FAILED ELF PLAGUE the evil wizard KERYN TEOLJORA is a threat too all good things in the city. We cannot let down our guard. GUARD YOUR MENFOLK from the INCESTUOUS MAGICAL ORGIES. Avoid all contact! Boycott Lhuvenhead Trading Company!, boycott Lantarh's Emporium and Moneychanger! - - Street Beat Reporter Fiddlesbee Freemoth

DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

You find this plastered on the front page of the Trumpet.

War on Poverty

The House of Heroes have declared war on poverty itself, and the Heroes appear to be winning!

High Sword of Tempus Turik Bloodhelm and Pawn Xandos Klaxxan of the Red Knight

While the Plague Rats attacked Waterdeep like a disease preying upon the lowest rungs of our society, the poor, the sick, the famished, and the desperate suffered. Many rallied to fight the Plague Rats in the streets and sewers, but the House of Heroes struck a winning blow against poverty itself! Through the creation of the Foundry a great siege tower of public works has been made for the common man to climb to glory! The once worthless wretches of Waterdeep's Dock Ward who would have at best been beggars and more likely violent criminals turning to gang violence and robbery to slate their hungers, have now been transmuted into productive waterhavian society through the benevolent efforts of our fine city's growing Military Industrial Complex!

The Foundry is currently employing dozens of orphans, street urchins, and others who may have previously had no choice but to resort to crime and indecency to see themselves and their family cared for. From the mouth of babes, here are their first hand accounts of how the Foundry has improved their lives and the lives of their loved ones.

Wrong Way Robbie
"I use to snatch purses till I tried to steal from the Pawn one day and he snagged my wrist proper! I thought I was gonna be dead or worst! Instead though he gave me coin enough to eat for a Ride and now I be learning to make fine knives for a livin!"

Second Street Sara
"I always wanted to be a Bard like Siren or Midnight, and instead of turning tricks to make the dragons I need to enter New Olmann, I am making Crossbows and aiming high for a brighter future then I ever imagined possible!"

Kitchen Chair Charlie and Nadia Knuckles
"Oi! last winter it was so cold we was breaking into homes not just for the bread, but simply to try and seek some shelter from the cold and warm our hands by the hearth. Now we be learning our letterings and numbers, getting fed proper, and making ballista bolts for the big navy ships!"

You have read it here folks! The War Drums of Industry have drowned out the Pipes of the Plague Rats!

Best of all each of you can do your part as citizens of the city of splendor by making sure you seek out the Foundry located next to the Fields of Triumph for all your military needs! Each coin you spend smelting rare ores for custom made arms or armor, each bulk order of spears or swords you desire to have your House Guards equipped with is not only an investment in your safety but in the safety and betterment of all Waterhavians! - - Street Beat Reporter Fiddlesbee Freemoth
DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

- A gnome warlock that goes by the name "Soosh" inspects his construct

Once again the Adventurers Guild is at it again. Not only does this cultist cabal trade in sin and sorrow, they also build fiendish constructs to terrorize innocent citizens. The main question is when will Waterdeep put an end to this organization of ill repute? How many lives lost, and damage of property must take place before the authorities take action? We at the Trumpet beg for this answer, and so should you. I Fiddlesbee Freemoth will do my best to uncover this diabolical den's dreadful plans.

*Fiddlesbee Freemoth is a veteran reporter for the Trumpet, a five time winner of the "Beacon of Truth" award. He enjoys spending time with his friends and helping out at animal shelters when not putting his life in danger alerting Waterdeep of corrupt organizations and other injustices ingrained in Waterdeep society.
DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

The Long Road Travel Guide on Local Customs and Beliefs

1. If you break a mirror you will be the happy beneficiary of 7 years of bad luck.

2. If you play with a knife, the aasimon will run away from you, and if you play with fire, you will pee in your bed.

3. A black cat crossing your path brings bad luck, and so does a cleric you meet on the road.

4. If your palm is itching, you will either receive money or you will get beaten.

5. Never tell a fisherman “good luck!”, as this will mean “bad luck”.

6. If it rains at your wedding, it means you will have a happy marriage.

7. Never give the last bit of tobacco from your pouch because this means giving away your wife.

8. If you stay in the corner of the table, you will never get married.

9. A pregnant woman should never tie a scarf on her neck, or the baby will be born with the umbilical cord around his neck.

10. Never get out of a house on another door except for the one you entered, as it will bring bad luck.

11. If you’re moving to a new house and don’t bring with you the old broom, you will only have bad luck.

12. If you spill water on the floor, never wash it with your foot.

13. If a painting falls from a wall, it means a close friend or a relative will die very soon.

14. If you start arranging the bed, never stop before finishing because it brings bad luck.

15. Never wash your hair on a Tuesday or else you will have bad luck.

16. If you leave leftovers on your plate, you will marry an ugly wife/husband.

17. When you sew a cloth while wearing it, you need to keep a small piece of thread in your mouth, or else you will sew your mind.

18. If you spill coffee, you will receive money.

19. Once you get out of the house, never look back, or else your entire day will go wrong.

20. Never leave your purse on the floor, or else you will lose money.

21. Crying at your wedding brings good luck.

22. If a cat washes her face and paws in the hallway, it means guests are coming. If the cat is washing on the threshold, you will be visited by a cleric.

23. Breaking a plate will banish bad luck.

24. On your wedding night, don’t change your slippers, or you will change your man.

25. Baby’s nails should never be cut until the age of one, or else he will become a thief.

26. Never beat animals during your pregnancy, or your baby will be born very hairy.

27. Never get married in the month of Flamerule, or else your marriage will be blown away like the leaves of the trees.

28. If you have your mouth opened while conceiving your baby, you will give birth to a girl.

29. If 13 people sit at a table, one of them will surely die before the end of the year.

30. If you keep a dry frog in your bag and wear it with you all time, it will keep disease away from you.

31. If you want to make a man fall in love with you, then make him eat a cake in which you’ve put a piece of your nail.

32. If you bite your tongue while eating, it’s because you’ve recently told a lie.

33. If guests at your wedding talk about marriage after the sunset, then the groom will cheat on his bride.

34. If you have an itchy right foot, you will leave on a journey.

35. If you drop an umbrella on the floor, then there will be a murder in that house.

36. When you hear the sound of a turtle-dove, stop, turn around three times, remove your left shoe, and inside you will find a hair just like the hair of your chosen one.

37. It will grow a green melon in your stomach if you eat one of its seeds.

38. When cows raise their tails, it’ll soon start to rain.

39. If you dream of killing a bear, it’s a sign that you’re free of all tangles in your life.

40. Wear something new for the holiday Shieldmeet, and you’ll have good luck for the rest of the year.

41. If you write a paper with the same quill with which you have prepared yourself for the school exam, another quill will remember the answers.

42. If you were a bridesmaid three times, you will remain unmarried.

43. If you drop the scissors, it means your boyfriend/girlfriend has cheated you.

44. A spoon dropped it is a sign that your lover will come over.

45. If you wear a foot rabbit in your pocket, it will protect from evil spirits.

45. After you give birth, do not go over water (bridges) because you will run out of milk.

46. If a bee gets inside your house, you will soon have a guest. If you kill the bee, then the visit will be an unpleasant one and bad luck will haunt you all day.

47. Seeing an wagon with a corpse brings bad luck unless you pinch your nose right away or hold your breath until you see a brown or a black dog.

48. During spring, if you go to a party, take a sip of water. Don’t spit it, go back home walking backwards, go to your bed, and there spit the water out of your mouth; at night you will dream your chosen one bringing you a cup of water.

49. Count 100 white horses and you will marry the first unmarried man you’ll meet.

50. A swan feather introduced in your husband’s pillow will ensure your his fidelity.

51. If three people are painted in a painting together, the one in the middle will die first.

52. If you sing before morning, you will cry before noon.

53. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn, you will not be cold all winter.

54. At least one window should always be opened at a funeral to allow the spirit to leave.

55. If you dream of yourself wearing false teeth, you will have unexpected help for your problem.

56. Everyone with a dimpled chin was touched by Sune.

57. If a raven is near a sick person, then there is no chance of recovery for that person.

58. If you hit the net of a spider, you will meet a new friend.

59. Do not change the bedding on the fifthday of a tenday, or you will have a bad dream that night.

60. A cat sitting on someone’s grave means that person’s soul has arrived in the hells.

61. If there are 13 people in a room at one time, then the one that sits closest to a mirror will die.

62. If you’ve lost something important, put a pink kudzu upside down on the window sill, and you will find it.

63. It’s not good to give animals for free because you will carry them on your back on the other side.

64. If you’re dreaming mice, you are or you will be pregnant.

65. It’s a sign of bad luck if you throw the garbage after the sunset.

66. Never make payments on a firstday of a tenday, or else you will give money all tendays.

Lets face it, the residents on the Long Road are quite silly, now I was informed by a reader that a rule 67 is in play. If your milk spoils, Your pies are stolen cooling on your window sills. Laundry pilfered, Babies go missing from their cribs, and travelers disappearing that evil fey must be at work.

DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

A Plea For Help

page 7 of the Trumpet in the advertisement section.
My name is Commander Gheldam, I operate out of Rassalanter for the Waterdeep Militia.
I call for every good citizen and abled bodied person to help investigate the many incidences of missing children, slaughter of farm animals, and vandalism effecting the good folk of The Long Road. Not only Rassalanter has befallen upon these horrible occurrences. Amphail and Red Larch has well. A reward will be offered to find out who or what group is perpetrating these foul crimes, also a bounty as well will be offered for these individuals dead or alive.

(This quest will happen on a future update of the server)
DM whana-be
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

VICTIMS FOUND IN VIRGIN SQUARE!

Three victims,Ilareh Of Yartar (human-female age 27), Hubert Farbuck (halfling-male age 35), and Cishan Rinniafro (elf-male age 284). ImageImageImage
All were professional adventurers. Their guildmaster informed the Trumpet that the trio was investigating the lower sewers due to a contract issued by an unknown patron. The bodies were found strung up in a grizzly state up north of Virgin Square near a nearby sewer grate. I Fiddlesbee Freemoth overheard Examiners determine that one victim bore no wounds but was drained of blood. Watch Captain Igriar Paldott has refused to comment on this story, only warning good citizens to take extra guard at nighttime.

Vampiric activity has fallen greatly for almost a year. This may or maynot be the cause of death of the slain. We at the Trumpet will follow this story. The silence by the watch is irresponsible. Greater good is keeping our city informed so precautions can be made. If this was due to a vampire(s) we offer the following tips in dealing with them.

Top Five Weaknesses to Vampires
1.) Weakness to Sunlight
2.) A well placed stake in their heart
3.) Cleave it's head from the body, and stuff the head with garlic
4.) Trick it into running water
5.) Burn with Holy Fire

DM whana-be