Question on Ingots/Mining

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

bartleby
Brown Bear

Question on Ingots/Mining

Post by bartleby »

I've been mia for a bit so sorry if this is a dumb question :D

Gael has searched around a decent clip and cant find ingots for sale anywhere, which lead him to believe they must not be for sale in the city.

He heard about the mines to the north and went to check them out but (which wow bugs are violent) sadly though he can't hold a pick axe.

Not looking for ooc directions to the ingots but :) ... is it by design that PCs that would be most likely to craft magical items cant seem to get the required components to craft them?
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Question on Ingots/Mining

Post by jmecha »

Ingots use to be available for sale, but they have not been for sometime.

As for "Mining" it is for certain a Party Participation event. No one individual is going to be a very successful Miner, unless they are willing to expend alot of resources healing themselves.

A successful Mining Trip requires....

A Strong Character wielding a Pick Axe. Ideally someone with Power Attack, and even more ideally a Dwarf.

Secondly a capable Healer who can help tend to the Miner's damage which will certainly add up as is needed to keep the Miner in action.

Whatever Party is needed to access the Ore Nodes, which can vary wildly between crossing the Rat Hills to reach the Slime Caves, the Northern Mines, The Ice Caverns, or even Umberlee's Cache.

Mining takes a long time, there is nothing fast or easy about it, and I suspect that is intended to stop the market from being flooded with custom made magical items.

The flow chart towards making something looks kinda like...

A Party Invests Time and Resources Mining.

Eventually enough Ore is gathered to make Ingots.

Then you need a Crafter or Enchanter willing to make the thing.

Plus all the extra bells and whistle ingredients like Gems, Potions, which can require fund raising and saving gold, brewing, favor trading, and questing for ingredients, etc...

The best items I have seen ingame though have been made by Player Characters, and can be radical game changers. The best example that comes to mind was a Wizard named Alglorious who used Iron to make Charged Items allowing himself access to alot more Firepower on demand then any Wizard limited by daily spell slots could imagine possible. He use to run around with Magic Missle Assualt Canes, more or less unleashing Magic Missles like some sort of full auto crew served weapon. Another huge game changer was when during a Vampire's reign of terror a Ranger named Asher was capable of making Armor with extra AC bonuses against Undead.

Mining + Crafting or Enchanting is definitely an example of Ayergo's it takes a Villiage...I mean a Party, philosophy.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
bartleby
Brown Bear

Post by bartleby »

Yeah that definitely makes sense. I completely get needing to keep an eye on a possibly explosive wealth generator and trying to encourage intra pc cooperation. I'm just sad that no one but a fighter or martial char can swing a pick axe :( ...

I've always found nwns "omg thats a long sword and im a mage i cant touch it ick" ... attitude kind of immersion breaking anyone with the strength to pick up a blade can do so ... they'll just suck at it a ton.

Even more so with a pick axe ... i mean commoners by definition use them either as slaves or miners :/

*shakes fist at aurora engine*
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

Aglorus, Egomancer extraordinaire. (Thanks for that title Wynna!)
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

If you can't use a shovel, there is also the option of a shovel or light hammer.

If you are short and without martial weapon feat... sorry. No mining for you!
12.August.2015: Never forget.