Jumping and Climbing Guide

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

jmecha
Illithid

Jumping and Climbing Guide

Post by jmecha »

Thanks to Brokenbone for pointing me towards this gem!

Currently Waterdeep has active Jumping and Climbing scripts, and has had them since 2007 when Zelk created them.

If you right click on your character to open up the radial menu....
Go to Special Abilities...
Click on a Class Icon....
Click on Maneuvers....
Click on Fly, Jump, Climb

This will allow you to know target where you want to Jump to or climb to.
I suspect the Range is very limited to something within five feet of your character.

Jumping seems good for overcoming bad walk mesh issues and not much else, currently.
((This maybe because my current Character lacks an a high enough Jump Skill to do more then escape questionable walkmesh))
((In time SCIENCE will reveal more, and by Science I mean trail and error))

Climbing though can be used to ascend or descend vertical surfaces, so long as there is an appropriate walk mesh on the top of, or bottom of what you are trying to climb.

Currently the DC for Climbing is based upon the length of the climb and if the area is a Wilderness Area or a Civilized Area. It is easier to climb shorter distances then it is long distances and so it maybe best to find routes up that involve using tiers to shorten the distanced you have to climb in any one attempt. In addition to this it is easier to climb natural terrain then it is to climb the smoother surfaces of city or dungeon walls.

Climb Speed is determined by your Race, Armor Worn, Encumbrance, and Class.

With each successful Climb Check you either Ascend or Descend an appropriate number of feet.

If you Fail the DC by 5 or less, no Progress is made.

If you Fail the DC by 6 or more, you have a last chance effort to grab the Wall or Hill with a DC 40 Climb check and stop your descent.....

If you were climbing Up and you Fall, you return to the spot you started.
If you were climbing Down and you Fall, you go to the point you were climbing down towards.
In addition, you take 1d6 Bashing Damage per 10 feet fallen.
With a DC 15 Tumble Check you can negate 1d6 of Damage.
If you take Damage from Falling you will be knocked prone temporarily.

Dwarfs, Gnomes, and Hins have Climb rates slower then the Taller Races.
Dwarf Climb Speeds are not effected by Heavy Armor, but the Skill Penalty of Armor still effects their Climb Checks.
Barbarian Speed is factored into Climb speeds, as are the different tiers of Monk Speed.
Last but not least, the Monk Slowfall ability is baked into this system already....
4th level Monks take 20ft off the distance fallen before calculating Damage
6th level Monks take 30ft off the distance fallen before calculating Damage
8th level Monks take 50ft off the distance fallen before calculating Damage
18th level Monks always treat their Falling distance as 0 feet.
Last edited by jmecha on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Jumping and Climbing Guide

Post by jmecha »

Most of the City Walls around Waterdeep appear to be about 13 feet high.

The High Walls at South Gate's outer gate appear to be about 30 feet high.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Hi all, 100% credit goes to good old Zelknolf, who knows, she may drop back in some day just as many other people have.

Here is the very old thread with key notes on the "Spanking New Mobility" stuff:

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=36560

Since cross references from some of the 10 yr old threads I found were long dead, I will cut and paste at least two somethings from Zelknolf for posterity here, but it doesn't get into the granularity that jmecha gleaned from the well documented notes in the "alfa_mobility" script within the haks:

(1) Spanking New Radial Menu Option: Mobility Scripts

There is a new radial menu option added under class abilities: maneuvers, and four blank ones in the same spot. The currently-enabled option is a script to account for a PCs mobility in response to limitations of tiles.

Here's how it works:
You use the power on a piece of ground. (I would reccomend quickbar-ing the command, as right-clicking to a buried radial command is quite frustrating).
If your PC has the ability to fly (through, for example, a spell like fly), and he/she has room to (outdoors, or in an area with a waypoint tagged to mark the area as having enough room to fly in) he/she will fly to the new spot.
If your PC cannot fly for whatever reason, but it is within jumping range (determined by the PC's movement speed, current armor/encumberance, and ranks in jump) he/she will jump there.
If your PC cannot jump, but the difference on the Z axis is small and one could feasibly flop the distance onto the new ground, he/she will do so (gracelessly).
If your PC cannot jump and the difference on the Z axis is too large for a flopping, your PC will attempt to climb the distance, success determined by the PC's climb skill, and rate of travel by armor, encumberance, and movement speed.
If your PC cannot fly, jump, or climb the distance, you will be given a server message to the effect.

(2) In game, it's much simpler: quickslot the radial command, press the appropriate F-key, and click where you want to go. Your PC will try to use the appropriate skills/abilities to get there, and if he can't, it'll tell you. (but be careful! One "level" of height difference is 21', and the big grey cliffs are 42'. If you're an untrained climber without climbing gear, you've a 50/50 chance of failing/falling on that first check [with 1d6 damage/10' of fall, by 3.5 rules], a 1 in 4 chance of being frozen in place going "Holy crap I don't know how to climb and I can't find a foothold!" and about a 1 in 4 chance of actually making some progress... unless you're climbing in a city, in which case untrained climbers will fail to find good footholds if they get lucky, and fall if they don't.)

Back to my own voice, if you wear armor when climbing, expect to have a baaaaad time.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Bump
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

While Climbing, Characters suffer a Stunned Condition that makes them immobile and flat footed. Once the Climbing mechanic is engaged the Character will remain in this Stunned Condition until the Climb is completed or fails.

This means that if you use Climb during Combat, your character maybe locked into a Stunned Condition while you continue to roll to low to complete the climb and to high to fail the climb. Trapped in a state of climbing without progress for a few rounds.

I share this as a warning so that all are aware that Climbing during Combat is a gamble, with potentially fatal consequences.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Examples of Urban or Civilized Climbing DC's based upon height