What I Learned Today, by Steel Lewis

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

What I Learned Today, by Steel Lewis

Post by Cleasor »

*Lewis uses a quill, ink bottle, and a bound empty journal, to write the following*

I set forth today with Xandos Klaxxan to determine whether the King of Rats was involved with the current Plague. During our discussion of the operation and value of traps, Klaxxan confided he learned of such from his brief time whilst with the Swords of Cimbar, of Chessenta. According to Klaxxan, The Swords of Cimbar are the finest Mercenary Company to ever exist in all the Realms. Chessenta is a place of Education. The birth place of great thinkers, and the greatest Warriors. The lowest of the slaves are taught to read if they have the capacity. It is a place of great passions. High ideals and differences can be debated in forums or decided across battlefields.

I shall confirm these statements with an independent source.

Regarding the intriguing value of traps, I learned a properly laid trap can turn the tide of battle. The nests within the Rat Hills are a simple example. Adventurers, cocksure and arrogant, will blunder upon the garbage strewn about the nests. This disturbance will alarm the rats within, who clamour forth and surprise the fools. To avoid this, one must carefully and delibrately clear away the debris. Evidently, the same lesson applies to those who build and set traps. Tightly strung wires awating a tug, carefully and subtly drawn runic circles, pressure plates, are all examples of detonation devices.

The Adventurer Guild has a work bench with various delicate tools. I shall practice building a trap.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Re: What I Learned Today, by Steel Lewis

Post by Cleasor »

*On another page, the writing continues*

New Olamn College
I received advice from one of my patrons at the Hanged Man to seek the famed New Olamn College. This is located on the west side of Mount Waterdeep, a short walk through the Melody Mount Walk. I entered and spoke to Danilo Thann, a merchant, and Kelthul Majarra. What an impressive institution! The original College of Olamn was one of the seven elder bardic colleges, dating back to the legendary bard Falataer who established it as the final level of his bardic college. It had been created by Falataer to test and reward his students who achieved mastery of the Olamn level of skill. The Olamn harp, one of the Instruments of the Bards, was named after this college. Following this tradition, bards studying to obtain the rank of master bard attended all seven colleges, and Olamn was traditionally the last. However, this practice was abandoned once the original colleges declined, with Olamn falling out of use centuries before the mid-1300s DR.

I enthusiastically asked for membership. My gods the membership due is exhorbinant! Eight hundred gold coins to have the "priviledge" of learning. I knew artists were starving and prefered social systems where they leached off the talent of others, but this is ridiculous. Despite my inner misgivings and obvious folly, I paid the dues and received my key. I wonder whether any within this institution will know of a cure for the Plague in the Docks? And now, to read and learn more about the City of Splendors.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Steel gets up from his many hours of reading and writing within the New Olamn library. He stretches and seeks out the lavy. Under his arm is tucked his journal, and a piece of parchment. He walks the city streets until finding a coach, then rides the coach to the Adventurer's Quarter. Once inside the Guild, he posts the parchment on the cork bulletin board.

Talona and her followers are described as, "Let pain be as pleasure, for life and death are in balance, but death is the more powerful and should be paid proper homage and respect. Death is the true power, the great equalizer, and the lesson that waits for all. If it falls to you to drive home the point with the tip of a dagger, so be it. The Mother of All Plagues works upon you from within, and weakness and wasting is her strength. Talona's breath is forever and always with you, whomever you or the rest of the world believes in or serves. Let all living things learn respect from Talona and pay homage to her in goods and in fervent worship. If they do so, intercede for them so that Talona will not claim them—this time. Go and work in Talona's name and let your doings be subtle or spectacular, but make them known as the will of the Mistress of Disease."

There have been minor outbreaks of diseases within the city in the past. From comparing the infection and death rates to the past, the current outbreak seems worse, as if Talona herself has an eye on the City of Splendors due to some unknown reason. In the past, Kelemvor and Tyr followers helped track down those of Talona who were responsible, while devouts of Ilmater helped with cures. This time; however, seemingly no one or organization has come to assist.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

After many hours searching through the library for several tomes on smithing and alchemy, Steel settles onto a chair at a table. He then spends several more hours finding the information he seeks. He transcribes it to his journal.

Enhancing Smithing Skills
A good weapon smith, armorer, or even common blacksmith needs good hand-to-eye coordination, problem-solving skills, math skills for measuring and making precise cuts and calculations, and creative and design skills. These can be enhanced by various means. Certainly a spell or potion which focuses one's thinking and problem-solving is appropriate. Furthermore, blessings from certain priests will raise the fortitude of the smith, allowing them to work longer and with greater vigor. Never underestimate the power of a finely sung working song to inspire one's artistic and creative talents. Finally, alchemists have discovered that combining twelve fluid ounces of chemically neutralized acid with 4 grams of crushed coldstones, then percolating this mixture at one hundred and forty degrees for thirty minutes, will result in an elixier which enhances one's fine motor skills.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

It comes as somewhat of an embarrasment that I discovered I am good at dressing in drag.

While in the upper floors and chambers of the Guild with Dorian, inventorying what was stolen, I found some creams, powders, wigs, and other womanly beauty products. I assume these were left by Wren Bluefeather. As Gael, Maddy and I had just hatched a plan to infiltrate the Plague Rat network in disguise as their rival Xanathar, I collected these items. A trip to the clothier, an hour behind a locked door in the lavy applying beauty products and squeezing into a bodice, and I was a man mascuerading as a rather homely woman. Then, I performed a disguise enchantment I had learned at the College and bravo!, I was now a comely woman of the Xanathar. I wonder if this spell makes my adam's apple disappear or my voice sound seductive? Watch out Plague Rats, here comes Stella Louise.