Vampire Journal, Vansa

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
jmecha
Illithid

Vampire Journal, Vansa

Post by jmecha »

*Vale Clearwaters enters the Font of Knowledge near midday. After making arrangements for a small space to write and store his work, he set to documenting.*

Tarsakh 15th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

I am keeping this journal to document the threat that is the Vampire Vansa, and to record our lessons learned in the fight against such. As of the time of this writing, very little is known to us about the Vampire Vansa, and should we fail, may this journal serve those that come after us.

I have shared two conversations with the Vampire Vansa in which it was made clear that Vansa is looking to recruit someone capable enough to serve as Vansa's Second in Command.

Vansa shared that the previous Vampire to hold the position was slain by followers of Lathander near Beregost. In addition to this, and perhaps because of this Vansa has expressed a strong dislike and disdain for both the God Lathander and his followers.

It is also rumored that Vansa once served the Sharran Vanrak Moonstar, who is also an Undead entity. Vansa has alluded to their past as having been sensual and rather carnal.

As of the time of this writing it is unknown if Vansa now once more serves Vanrak Moonstar, or not. I suspect the reason Vansa seeks a strong and capable Second in Command maybe to have the strength required to exist within the region and do so in a position of power and influence potent enough that there will never be a need to serve Vanrak Moonstar or any other.

I am told that Vampires, and all Undead Entities exist in a state of arrested development in which they become fixated upon the achieving of a singular goal, willing to commit any act in service to seeing such achieved. From the time I have spent with Vansa, I suspect the driving goal maybe acquiring a sense of personal validation that Vansa intends to achieve through rising to the top of a hierarchy of power of Vansa's own design and subjugating others.

As of last evening the House of the Moon, the Waterhavian Temple to Selune, provided us information that some of Vansa's Vampiric minions were lairing beneath Blackwell Court and the Crypt of Chauntea. Those that would strike against such divided their numbers in half and moved to strike against the Vampires within both locations, meeting with minimal success. Several Vampires were encountered, though only one had proper stake driven through it's heart preventing it from escaping in a gaseous form.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Vampire Journal, Vansa

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 16th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

In regards to proper stakes, I report the following.

I have found that Stakes made of Necrovine soaked within the fluids of a Potion of Regeneration work effectively as a means of preventing Vampires from escaping in their gaseous form, if successfully placed within their heart.

The means of making such are not without an investment of time and effort.

First one needs to acquire Goblin Ears and a Vial of Wound Curing. If provided to a capable Alchemist, such ingredients can be combined to make a single potion of Lesser Restoration.

Secondly one needs to harvest Necrovine Roots and see them added to the vials of Lesser Restoration to fortify such into a far more potent potion of Restoration. Said Potions can be used to help repair the damage done to those who survive the life draining bite of Vampires.

Last and not least, if a stake of Necrovine Roots is then soaked within said Restoration Potions, the resulting finished product is an exceptionally durable wooden stake capable of piercing the chest and reaching the heart of a Vampire.

I am told that over whelming amounts of Divine or Positive Energy can also be used to destroy a Vampire preventing their escaping in a Gaseous Form. Research has also claimed that Sunlight and Running Water can be used to slay a Vampire. I though have seen with my own eyes that with a Restoration Potion treated Necrovine Stake through the heart of a Vampire, they are rendered helpless and become vulnerable to whatever means of destruction you may decide to serve them.

As for successfully delivering the proper stake to the heart of the Vampire, I suggest team work. From personal experience I have found it best to overwhelm the Vampire with numbers making use of more traditional weapons be they enchanted steel or combative magics as a means of leaving the Vampire disorientated and vulnerable to the efforts to see the Stake accurately placed within their heart.

Below I have provided an excerpt of Doctor Luther Von Mufflebop's research notes upon Vampires.
Rumple C wrote:Case Number 1392.7.01b
1 Flamerule, 1392dr

Species: Homo Nosferatu Vampiris

Sex: Male

Cause of death: Removal of negative energy sustaining unlife
due to
Introduction of positive energy into system
due to
Use of 2 cure light wounds wands in simultaneous use
due to
Being a Homo Nosferatu Vampiris

Examiner: Luther Von Wufflebop

Procedure: Autopsy

Reason for performing an Autopsy: For science

Summary of findings: The subject lost animation when the internal negative energy field providing unlife was compromised

Findings:

Height: 14 sandwiches, 2 knuckle
Arm span: 14 sandwiches
Skull measurements: Need for approbation indicated, similar to canine genus. High levels of veneration indicated.

Subject has no visible wounding.

Subject has enlarged superior canine teeth, located between the lateral incisor and the first premolar.

Attempts to incise into the abdominal cavity were resisted by steel scalpel. A magical short sword was used, resulting in an irregular incision. Subject has all normal humanoid organs.

Subject began to reanimate during procedure resulting heart palpitations in examiner. Regular heart rhythm of examiner restored after healing potion imbibed. Reanimation halted by insertion of wooden doorstop into chest cavity, aided by blunt force from mace.

Upon resumption of autopsy subject tissue showed no change in structure when subjected to cold or electrical stimulation.

Opinion:

Homo Nosferatu Vampiris are resistant to cold and electrical stimulation and regenerate tissue damage. They are vulnerable to positive energy and magical damage.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 20th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

According to those that are close to the lich Athalene Moonstar, Vansa is centuries older then Vanrak Moonstar and once offered Vanrak Moonstar the oppertunity to serve at Vansa's side as a Vampire. I am told that Vanrak Moonstar choose a different route into Undeath.

It is suspected Vansa may have preyed upon the region as a Vampire while the Dwarves of Clan Melairkyn inhabited the region. I though have no evidence to support such claims that Vansa is two thousand years old.

Regardless Vansa has taken to using Mind Effecting influences upon those that have banded together against her to cause division within the ranks. Such divisions and conflicts within the ranks have caused one of the most unstable of us to contemplate suicide and has lead others to their deaths fighting battles that did not need to be fought.

I advise those that may follow us to know Vansa is a capable and cunning predator who will prey upon weaknesses you did not know existed.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 21st, 1399 Dale Reckoning

A member of the effort against Vansa who had spent some years of their life living within Amn believes Vansa's physical appearance may carry the traits of a Calishite origin, or at a minimal someplace south of Amn.

If this is true, what originally motivated Vansa in Life or in Undeath to travel as far north as the Waterdeep region?
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 25th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

1130 DR, Selunites in pursuit of Vanrak Moonstar into Undermountain encountered the haven of several Vampires lead by Fiyr Ashenfield. The Vampire Fiyr Ashenfield was defeated and had it's existence properly ended, though several of Fiyr Ashenfield's lieutenants escaped.

In the coffin of one such lieutenant were personal effects that suggest the Vampire that laired within was ancient and hailed from a distant land. That coffin bore the mark of Vansa Khalun.

1195 DR, it has been noted that Vanrak Moonstar this year transformed from what he was, into what form Vanrak Moonstar currently has. It is suspected this transformation involved becoming Undead, though the exact manner and nature of which remains unknown. It is possible the House of the Moon has more answers.
Last edited by jmecha on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 26th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

In 1299 DR, a young Paladin of Lathander named Landar Chiontar served the region of Beregost.

In 1397 DR, Landar Chiontar was found to be the Master Vampire of a sizable brood that laired within an estate within the Wood of Sharp Teeth located between Beregost and Baldur's Gate. The Lathanderites who set the estate to the torch and saw the vampires within destroied had no reason at the time to suspect Ladar Chiontar served another.

The time line though does not conflict with Vansa Khalun's known locations and times.

Also a young male Paladin of Lathander maybe exactly the strong, capable, and attractive sort that Vansa Khalun appears to prefer to have as a Second.

1130 DR Master Vampire Fiyr Ashenfield is slain by Lathanderites and Selunites somewhere within Undermountain. Vansa Khalun escapes this purge.

Vansa Kahlun offers Vampirism to Vanrak Moonstar, and he turns down the offer.

1195 DR Vanrak Moonstar assumes a new form, presumed Undead.

1299 DR Vansa Khalun makes the Lathanderite Paladin Landar Chiontar a Vampire

1397 DR Lathanderites of Beregost discover the lair of the Vampire Landar Chiontar and destroy all the undead within.....Vansa Escapes.

The lathanderites who fought Landar Chiontar said that Landar Chiontar spoke very lowly of them and their God, a dislike for Lathander and Lathanderites that Vansa Khalun has displayed.
Last edited by jmecha on Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 28th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

I have been careful not to use the names of any allied against the Vampire Vansa Kalhun. I have done this as to safeguard this record from being used against them. I though should share with you that I am Vale Clearwaters, former Leader of the Adventurer's Guild of Waterdeep, and I have been selected by Vansa Khalun to become Vansa's second.

I share this with you because I am already a known entity to Vansa Khalun and so that you may understand who I was at the time of writing this should I fall to Vansa's manipulations and recruitment efforts. If you the reader find myself a Vampire, I warn you to show such no quarter or mercy.

I am a capable scout and combatant well versed in small team tactics and methodical in my planning and approach. I am experinced in both training others as well as providing leadership to those that require such. It would be ideal if as a Vampire I used such to retreat into the underdark and lead a capable cabal of vampires against the Illithid, and I never preyed upon the good people of Toril, though the truth is, as a Vampire I would see all people as prey to be feasted upon or used to my own twisted vampiric aims. The Vampire is not a Person, it is Undeath. The Vampire maybe tragic and pitiful, it though is not a person, it is undeath and it will always work against the interests of the living, never forget such. It is because of such I warn you the reader to show no mercy nor quarter to Vampires.

Note that I take care to not reffer to the Undead with gender pronouns, this is intentional to remind myself and you that such Undead beings are not People, they are things.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Tarsakh 29th, 1399 Dale Reckoning

I have been informed that a Vampire Nest was discovered and destroyed near Serpentil Books & Folios.

The Vampires charmed a local merchant from the Whistling Blades Store and sent him into the, Adventurer's Lodge, with a story of concern that one of their members had gone missing. The merchant lead a band of concerned Lodge members to a building where the missing member was suspected to be. It was discovered that the merchant was under a mind influencing effect and the band gathered allies and awaited till dawn to enter the building.

Once inside they were confronted with Guardgoyles and discovered room after room of Vampires slumbering within coffins. I am told they advanced carefully and worked to see each room cleared, and the vampire within each coffin staked and slain.

At the end of their efforts the day had passed, and upon leaving the building Vansa Khalun awaited them i the street. I do not know what words were exchanged, though I am told that Vansa Khalun's eyes shined with hate and in the end Vansa invoked a magical Ice Storm upon the Vampire Hunters that slew one of their number, before fleeing into the night.

The slain was a Hin Enchantress and a member of the Adventurer's Lodge.
Her name was Daeges, and I am told she was a kind and loving soul who was known for standing strong against the evils of the world in an effort to see good people protected.

The death toll though was far larger then Daeges.
One can not measure the loss of the living and compare such to the number of Vampires destroyed.
Each of the Vampires was at one time a Person before they were consumed by Undeath, and each of them took uncounted lives during their time as Vampires before being destroyed.

This entire matter is a grim one and the loss of lives will be a rapidly growing number so long as Vansa Kahlun continues to spread Vampirism throughout the city.

One of the members of the Vampire Hunting Party that survived the encounter has shared with me that they suspect Vansa Khalun may have been a Bardic Performer in life, and may continue such practices in Undeath. This is based upon the manner in which Vansa Khalun called upon the weave to summon the Ice Storm. This suspension matches well my observed behavior of Vansa Khalun as I have seen Vansa take breaks from conversations to watch minstrels play and has offered opinions about the music being played as if familiar with such.

If Vansa Khalun was in truth a performance artist in life, and in undeath remains partial to such, we maybe able to use this to predict Vansa's behavior as well as design an event Vansa may feel compelled to participate in. Unfortunately, any musical competition large enough or prestigious enough to tempt Vansa Khalun to appear at, would also create a crowd large enough to endanger numerous innocent people. Said crowds of people would also provide cover in which the vampires could obfuscate their movements and numbers within. It would be as much a trap for Vansa Khalun, as it would be for the People attending, and us Vampire Hunters.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 4th, 1399

One of the faithful of Oghma was accused of necromatic practices by the Daily Trumpet. This lead to a mob of protesters gathering outside the Font of Knowledge. The Font of Knowledge in response to such invited some of the protesters inside to peaceful discuss the matter. One or more of those invited inside were Vampires and violence followed.

The conflict inside reached a temporary stalemate with the Vampires and other Undead trapped beneath the Temple. By the time we arrived to help against the Undead, the Font had already suffered great casualties. We ourselves suffered one as well while working to see the lowest levels of the Temple cleansed.

In the end the Font of Knowledge was cleansed of Undeath, as well as the Angel of Decay the Vampires had summoned within the lowest levels.

While reclaiming the Font of Knowledge is a victory, we remain reactive to Vansa Kalhun's forces instead of proactive. If we continue this course, and fail to find a means to effectively strike back at Vansa and the Vampires, it is only a matter of time before we fail.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 6th, 1399

A band of Vampire Hunters investigated rumors of undead animals south of the city and discovered the lair of a Vampire who had previously been a Druid of Ardeep in life. After the various animated animals and the Vampire were slain, the Hunters discovered a journal that had been kept by the Druid detailing their arrival to Waterdeep and the investigation into Vampiric activity that lead up to their conversion to undeath and Vampirism.

According to the Druid's own writings the investigation consisted of examining fauna and speaking with the various animals of the city. In time the Druid came to believe their to be a potent concentration of Vampirism housed within or arising from the City of the Dead or very near to it. Unfortunately the Druid's investigation was cut short by being discovered by the Vampires, and ultimately being made into one.

I have heard it spoken that the Vampire Hunters united against Vansa intend to focus their efforts in and around the City of the Dead.

I do not know what their plan is, this though maybe our opportunity to move from reactive to proactive against Vansa Khalun and the other Vampires.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 7th, 1399

Vansa Khalun has sent a Vampire to the Adventurer's Guild to deliver the message that members will began to suffer if I do not accept the offer to become Vansa's Second.

With more time we may find where Vansa lairs and put an end to this matter.

I will make an effort to further stall Vansa Khalun, though with the recent successes against Vansa's Vampire Minions, I suspect Vansa has already grown impatient and is prepared to strike against the Adventurer's Guild in immediate response to any answer I provide short of acceptance.

I have warned the Majordomo of the Adventurer's Guild that I suspect Vansa will make a target of the Guild should I not comply.
I have warned that the members need to be prepared to flee for the lives if it come to such for the building is not worth their lives.
I have told myself that no matter what Vansa may do in immediate response to an unsatisfactory answer from myself, it pales in comparison to the atrocities I would commit as a Vampire across uncounted nights of Undeath.

I warn you the reader to not let the Vampire intimidate or coerce you through fear tactics and torture through attacks upon yourself or those you care for.

Pain and loss are as much a part of life, as anything else that separates the Living from the Undead.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 8th, 1399

Last evening Vansa Khalun approached me upon the the streets near the Plinth of All Faiths. Vansa appeared to have come alone to converse. In effort to buy the Vampire Hunters more time to discover her Lair, and to indulge my own curiosities, I obliged.

Vansa asked to be taken to my Home and provided an invitation inside. As an alternative, I guided the pair of us to the slopes of Mount Waterdeep where we could overlook the city while we spoke privately without fear of interruption. In response Vansa alluded to being capable of Scrying the location of my home.

We spoke of each other, to each other until the rising of Lathander. I learned that in life Vansa Khalun had arrived to the North with two other companions seeking a life of Adventure that may provide them wealth and renown. They referred to themselves as the Southern Three, and in time their Adventures lead them to a very Dark place, where Vansa claimed she found all she had ever wanted and more. While Vansa did not say it plainly, I suspect this Dark place is where Vansa's closest companions perished and Vansa was introduced to Vampirism.

I had originally suspected that Vansa knew more of my own past then I myself am away of due to missing memories. I had suspected that perhaps Vansa and I had met before and that it was because of who Vansa knew me to be during said times before that she desired to make me her Second now. I though learned otherwise last evening.

I learned that Vansa and I had no former relationship of each other, there was no secret past that we were bound by, nor does there appear to be some agenda in which she plots and schemes for me to serve in some capacity. In truth, it appeared that she genuinely was seeking a companion she may spend the passing years with, and that she had chosen me for no reason other then I appeared an interesting and entertaining challenge. Vansa went so far as to accuse me of being capable and possessing engaging wit, an accusation I am accustom to hearing.

The lure of spending an eternity with a beautiful and charming companion is not without it's merits. Even if realistically, in time we may grow bored with each other and grow apart. There would still remain endless nights to spend in other pursuits and indulgences. In time great libraries could be created, Cities built and sundered to be rebuilt again, Civilizations could rise and fall, and a myriad other things could be witnessed and experienced of the course of a Vampire's existence.

I was provided three days time to make a choice, before pressures will be applied to coerce. I strongly suspect the Adventurer's Lodge of Waterdeep, formely known as the Adventurer's Guild of Waterdeep where I found a home upon arriving to this city, was trained, and in time became a mentor and instructor to others will be where Vansa Khalun applies pressure in an effort to leverage me into agreeing to join her in undeath. I have warned the members of the Lodge previously and I will provide to them another warning after writing this entry. I must warn them because I intent to refuse Vansa's offer.

I intend to refuse Vansa's offer because despite her charms and the seductive offer of eternal nights to spend pursuing that which I would and enjoying what indulgences can be found or created within this World or others, I am unwilling to provide myself such at the cost of uncounted lives lost across the endless nights to maintain a Vampiric existence.

Vansa claimed that the thieves guild of Waterdeep known as the Forsaken causes more damage to the People of the City then Vansa and her Vampires do, and that maybe true. It though for myself is not a measure of how much harm to others am I willing to do in exchange for self gratification and personal desires, it is a question of if I am willing to intentionally do so at all.

I am not.

There are many things I do not know about this world and others, and there are truths that I am ignorant of and questions I am not knowledgeable enough to know to ask. What I do Know is that treating People as cattle is wrong.

When one elevates them self and their desires above those of other people in such a way that other people are seen less as people and more so as commodities to be used to further one's own desires and agenda, the very act of doing such makes one's self less of a person.

By becoming less of a person, one becomes a thing, a tool which exists only to serve the desire that has consumed that which was once a person.

People have ideas, wants, and desires, such is the natural state of existence, we though must be wary to not allow our ideas, wants and desires to have us.

This is a truth I Know to be true, and because of such I will rebuke Vansa Khalun and her offer of eternal nights so that I may instead spend my limited days learning more of what it means to be a Person, instead of abandoning such for eternal nights as a thing.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 11th, 1399

The Adventurer's Lodge was well defended and survived multple Vampire attacks throughout the night without suffering a single casualty. The same can not be said for the neighbouring orphanage of Helm's Hall where Vansa Khalun sent Vampires to slaughter the occupants while the Vampire Hunters were gathered and occupied with defending the Adventurer's Lodge.

We found headmaster Kibler wounded and near death, two slain Knights of the Third Circle, several slaughtered children and babies, as well as one surviving baby who was clearly bitten by a Vampire upon their left shoulder. In addition, to the lives lost, a quick census revealed that twenty four of the orphans were missing from the orphanage. It is not suspected that they escaped. We believe them to have been taken by Vansa's Vampires.

In addition to all of this the Vampires used the blood of the slain to write across the floor of the Orphanage the following words.

"FOR DAEGES"

This was for a time a battle cry of some of the Vampire Hunters after Daeges's death. Now the words are a cruel taunt leveled at all those who would oppose Vansa Khalun.

As the Dawn broke we moved to investigate the only suspected lead we had on the location of Vansa Khalun's lair. What we found was an abandoned house filled with the dropping of rats, and a small access hole leading below that could be easily traversed by rats or a Vampire in a Gasous form.

Unable to precede directly, we instead visited a neighboring building that was once the secret lair of Zylai'a, a member of the Adventuring Community of Waterdeep who was secretly a practicing Sharran and worshiper of Velsharoon. Within this hidden lair Zylai'a animated dead Adventurers into a menagerie of undead. It seemed plausible that this old and abandoned lair of Necromancy might be where Vansa Khalun had decided to lair.

When we found the recently erected stone wall erected within the subterranean tunnel blocking our passage, it confirmed our suspensions that beyond would exist Vansa Kahuln's lair. We left to rally and reorganize.

We will return with the Mining equipment needed to breach the wall, and the means to see the Undeath beyond removed from existence. We will do this for Daegas, and for all of the others.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 22th, 1399

Vansa once more approached me with the offer of Undeath, and this time I rebuked her with violence.

Know that her flesh was more durable then Stone and warded against the elements.

Know that she can summon Darkness, cloak herself in invisablity, open dinensional doors, summon one powerful storm of ice after another, and unleash unerroring magical missles in great numbers.

Know also she is not invincible and can be defeated.

In response to my rebuke, and after our skirmish through the city streets near the Pilnth of All Faiths, Vansa Khalun sought out the Paladin Morgan Thane of Kevelmor and slew him.

His corpse was delievered to my feet with the message that so long as I refuse her offer, more such corpse would follow.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Mirtul 25th, 1399

We have learned that Vansa Khalun and her Vampires struck at the orphanage of Helm's Hall with motivations previously concealed from us. They were harvesting the hearts of children to use as reagents in an effort to make explosive devices that unleash potent waves of negative energy as a means of slaying the living that would stand against them. In addition to this they have developed methods of warding themselves from our holy water and stakes.

We divided ourselves into two separate groups in an effort to strike at two of the locations vital to the Vampire's child harvesting operation. One group traversed the City Sewers to see children freed from the Slaver of the Slimey Goblin Tribe, and the Second traversed City's Lower Sewer in effort to disrupt the arrival of slaves from Skull Port.

We have learned that dispite the Vampire's newly developed weapons and wardings, they can still be destroyed using holy stakes.