Honing the Form

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Re: Honing the Form

Post by Wynna »

This is quite good! Logical progression and understandable motivations in an ecclesiastical fable. Also... *hands Vale a medium soft bristle toothbrush* For the cracks between the floor boards. Scrub carefully.
Enjoy the game
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

As the hour drew near to assualt Kringus of Yule Tide, Vale's thoughts returned to and explored the possible meanings of the prophecy Talmud Raladin Thunderbeard had provided.

One Snowflake becoming the storm.

One side of a Coin with two faces looking in opposite directions.

Vale Clearwaters walking alone beneath a frozen sky, slowly dieing.

It was accepted the Snowflake becoming the storm was a warning that in time their troubles would multiply and worsen.

The Faces upon the Coin were suspected to represent division.

The final image was that of what would come to pass without unity

One of the Coin's Two Faces approached Vale within the Adventurer's Guild Lounge and interrupted his silent contemplation.

With a nod and a smile, followed by a sigh, Kal announced.
"I have something to ask."

Unhurried Vale Clearwaters waited to hear the man out. While Kal had historically been a selfish man willing to murder and cheat others regardless of the consequences, he had claimed verbal commitment to a new path, one guided by the light of Selune. Vale would hear Kal out and would hear him well, for he did believe it possible that with enough time, dedication, and endurance, Kal could change who he was.

When Kal began, it was with her name.
"Sarenna and myself had a long heart to heart before the Rally. She has agreed to follow me Vale. To be less like her old self. So I would ask, for you and the others to try and be polite with her and I will ask her to do the same. She needs friends not enemies. And I have not been at my best in the past with you or some of the other members. So for that I apologize. As long as she is treated well I will not get angry.My anger is... well I tend to try and defend her against those seeking to treat her like a whore. to be blunt."

Vale believed Kal believed this to be true, and knew well it was not his place to try and explain otherwise to the man. Instead Vale simply shared the course he had already decided upon.
"Know that I have no intentions of provoking Sarenna's wrath....I though have no authority over the tongues of others. Sarenna has spoken with a cruel voice to many and more for sometime....."

Kal though was not finished.
"He seems to enjoy degrading her in front of others and the last time I threatened his life."

With his slow an unhurried paced Vale continued to speak.
"Do not be surprised or discouraged if it takes more then one turning for Sarenna's change of demeanor to resonate with those who Know only the way she was."

As did Kal.
"Something I am not proud of. I did apologize to him for it after. I just want something better for her and she wants it as well is all. That is pretty much it I guess."

Vale interpreted the slight smile Kal wore as punctuation, implying it was now his opportunity to reply.
"Meaningful change requires a commitment and endurance.....She may decide to change her ways today.....though it may take many days before others see the change she has made, and some may not see it at all."

Kal nodded in agreement and shared that Sarenna was aware of and ready to face the difficulties.
"I agree.. She knows the path is long and hard for she see's me struggle sometimes daily with it, but she has agreed to walk with me."

Vale made an effort to temper Kal's expectations.
"Know that my role within this Guild House is one of responsibility to set an example and to provide an education and opportunity to those that seek it.....I have no Authority over those here, to tell them what they can or can not say, or that they must be kind to Sarenna."

Kal interjected.
"But you can ask them. I am not asking you to tell them.. Just ask them to treat her with respect is all."

Vale continued along with the message he desired shared.
"Know that they will, only after she has earned it......that is not by my choice Kal.....simply the way of the Worlds and the truth of respect. I say this to you only so there is no confusion between us. I will encourage those here to treat Sarenna and all others with the respect and decorum they themselves would expect and desire they themselves be treated with..."

Before he could though, Kal once more rose to Sarenna's defense, shaking his head as he announced.
"Well if she has not earned their respect by brewing potions for them then she may never earn their respect. And if they are that shallow I feel sorry for them."

Then with a nod in response that which Vale said, Kal continued.
"I have asked as much from her as well. She did not take me asking that well but she agreed."

Did the man not know that his own behavior was erratic? That his demands and expectations were unrealistic?Perhaps Vale was not clear, and so he began again.
"Kal...I am sharing with you simple truths......there is no need to insult the members of this Guild by claiming they are shallow beings."

What Kal shared next, Vale was uncertain how to interpret.
"I meant it it not as an insult Vale."

Did he truely not intend to insult or did he simply regret being called out for such? Vale was confused and decided it was time to start asking questions to better understand where it was Kal was coming from.
"I am....confused as to why the brewing of potions should exempt Sarenna or anyone else from facing the consequences of their other choices and behaviors?"

Kal though was not finished defending himself and pressed on.
"I was just saying if they are shallow in that way I felt sorry for them. I was not stating that they were shallow.
I thought she was brewing potions for the Guild so you would protect me."

Vale realized he was not the only one here with misunderstandings and decided he would do what he could to see Kal's replaced with the truth as Vale knew it.
"Kal.....I have been making an effort to aid you in your own personal efforts towards refining and redeeming yourself, because I would rather see you succeed then fail. I am not....and have not been aiding you in exchange for potions."

With a slow nod Kal confessed.
"Well that was my assumption.. So why was Sarenna brewing potions for you?"

Describing the motives of others with his own words was not something Vale enjoyed, nor was he in the habit of doing.
"I had thought Sarenna was collecting the assembled ingredients and refining them because collectively, we face a common enemy, and are working to see It defeated together."

Kal thought to ask the same question, differently.
"No.. Before this Vale.. when she would come here and brew."

Vale suspected Sarenna had more reasons then Vale knew, but he spoke of her in the best light he could to Kal.
"I had thought that was also in effort to see the Guild as prepared as we can be against our common Enemies."

Kal nodded once.
"I see. Then I was mistaken. I had thought she was doing it to protect me."

Vale tried to explain to Kal that, he was in truth indifferent to why Sarenna was making the potions.
"If Sarenna was only here.....making Potions to hire me for a task I would have done regardless.....then that is a misunderstanding on her part....though a arrangement that is not.....unacceptable."

Once more Kal nodded.
"Like I said.. I had that thought.. but had not mentioned it to her."

Vale thought it best to make a suggestion, regardless of how obvious it was.
"What....Sarenna thinks and why.....is a question best asked of Sarenna.....I can only say with aurthority that I was not trying to aid you in exchange for Potions Kal."

Kal sounded, casual and sincere.
"Well thanks for the clarification Vale."

It was then the Second Face of the prophesied Coin entered like she owned the place. Vale slowly shifted his gaze from Kal to Sarenna as she approached. Her magnetism drew his eye, such was the power of her presence. Vale made a gesture of welcoming towards the fire and immediately after Kal waved Sarenna over as well.

She first addressed Kal, with warmth and curiosity.
"Hello Kal. What are you doing here?"

Kal's reply was minimalist and polite.
"Hello Sarenna. Talking with Vale."

Vale warned his hands near the fire, the nod Sarenna gave in his direction reminded him of a game hunter nodding farewell to their prey.

Kal wanting answers he already knew repeated to him, perhaps in an effort to stave off silence asked.
"And you?"

Vale returned Sarenna nod with an including of his own head her way, then fixed his gaze on the fire.

Sarenna with a voice that broke no compromise informed Kal.
"I wanted to see him."

Kal nodded along with her proclamation, Sarenna took a long look at her prey, and Vale braced himself for the inevitable while watching the fire dance.

Then she began.
"Is that all you've been up to, Vale? Staring into the fire?"

She was only toying with her prey. She was not yet prepared to strike, and so she took pause to look about for additional material she may us un her game.
"The floors look cleaner."

Perhaps Kal knew what would come next, or perhaps he feared what may come to pass and wished to be excused when he asked. Some men choose to be ignorant instead of facing the horror.
" Do I need to leave Sarenna?"

With the authority of a Matron dismissing house staff Sarenna noded but once.
"For the best I think."

Without a word more, Kal nodded and obediently took his leave, and afterwards she began probing for her opening.
" You aren't going to say anything?"

What Vale said next was known to both of them, but she insisted he speak and so he needlessly reminded her of the situation.
"You arrived here....to speak with me. I had thought to wait and hear your words...listen to your words....before I offered my own."

Sarenna's lips twisted into a menacing smile as she spoke.
"Maybe I just came to gloat. I like the idea of you in a cage. Even a gilded one, like this."

She had begun to bleed some of the venom out, though this was merely her salivating at the meal she was making ready to have. Sarenna had yet to take the bite that would let her teeth sink deep.
" So that's it then, Vale? Yer just going to live out yer days in here? While the city goes to shit all around you? What about yer precious guildies? Are you going to let them die fighting without their dear leader?"

This was yet another feint, she was baiting him. Unhurried he raised his gaze from the fire to Focus upon her. She in turn raised her eyebrows in a petulant gesture, returning his stare. Vale thought best to keep it simple and direct.
"I do not understand what makes you think any of those questions require asking. Sarenna.....why are you here?"

Now she prepared to strike true.
"Because I need to know something. One way or another, I need to know."

Vale could have asked what she desired to know, but thought better then to waste the words, and so he waited, unhurried.

"You were right about me, you know. Vale."
" You were right to send me away from here."
"About my being like Vansa."
" I'm just as evil as that bitch is."

Vale replied with silence and an unblinking stare. He did not need words to tell her this was already known.

" I would burn this place to the ground, if I had the chance, and take all yer people with it."

It was then her eyes began to gleam with moisture, and she reached into her pack to withdraw a stack of papers to set upon the table. She pointed at the papers as if additional dramatics were needed to draw Vale's attention to them.
"Read that"

it was then that Asher Vontio, Undead hunter and long time Journeymen of the Guild walked into the lounge.
"Hello you two."

Vale reached for the stack of papers and began to make a study of them while Sarenna replied wit Asher's greeting with all the kindness and grace Vale expected her to after Kal spoke of her deciding to reinvent herself.
"Fuck off, Asher. Private conversation here."

Asher Vontio simply nodded, before Vale addressed him.
" Asher.....I do not intent to put you out........though if you would....give us the room for a time....you would have my thanks good man."

Either out of respect for Vale, or desire to put distance between himself and Sarenna's radiant civility, Asher replied.
"Of course."

As Asher fled the scene, Vale began reading through the document Sarenna had provided. The language was a difficult to understand legal code that caused Vale's brow to furrow with the concentration deciphering the script demanded of him. For a moment longer Sarenna kept her focus upon Vale, before eventually looking to the fire and wiping a stray tear from her cheek.

The Document was written up by none other then the Professional Nipsy Peanut Esquire, A gnome Vale trusted to provide Professional Service for Professional Rates. While it was difficult for Vale to translate the legal script into terms he clearly understood, the purpose of the document was not lost upon Vale. These papers here were a contract that would legally bind Vale Clearwaters to exhile himself from the Adventurer's Guild for no less then two years time, in exchange for Sarenna and Kal's aid against the Demon Kringus of Yule Tide. According to the document, should Vale fail to sign in agreement, neither Kal nor Sarenna would lend their aid to the cause, nor would the warding potions and alchemical weapons Sarenna had created be made available. Vale and members of the Guild had risked their lives to gather the ingredients for those supplies, Tymor had died gathering such supplies.

Silently Vale lifted his gaze from the documents to once more face Sarenna, while she choked back a sob.
"I wanted you to suffer, Vale. I wanted you to know what it was like, for me. To be out in the cold. Unclaimed."

She hesitated just long enough to wipe her eyes before she continued.
"I need to know. Would you have done it? Would you have signed?"

While unhurried, his response was swift and certain.
"No."

Was it disbelief Vale sensed in her voice, or uncertainty?
"Not even to save all yer guildies? They'd all die down there, you know. Without me to save them."

Her statement gave him pause enough to think to ask.
"Is that.....your honest opinion? Do you honestly believe that without the presence of yourself and Kal, and without the potions you have made.....all those that did march against Kringus would be lost?"

She sniffed and shook her head before answering Vale's question, perhaps reaffirming her own beliefs.
" Of course they would."

Vale would not further pursue that line of questioning and simply nodded in acknowledgement to her answer, before she continued, and eventually held her hand out for the documents.
"I'd convinced myself you'd sign. Kal tried to tell me the truth, but I wouldn't listen."

Vale knew she did not understand, and so he made an effort to explain to her his understanding of the situation.
" I have a responsibility to those that came before me, to those here now, and those that are yet to come... If I were to.....allow myself to extorted my the likes of yourself......that would not set a very high standard."

She mulled this over for but a moment before she found her words once more.
" Thinking of the future.I never thought of that. I guess I don't know you as well as I thought, Vale. Give me the papers."

Without ceremony or pretense, Vale handed her the papers with an unhurried hand. No sooner did she have them then they were tossed within the fire, where she watched them burn. Only after the documents were beyond salvageable did she speak.
" You have Kal, to thank, you know."

Once more confused, Vale asked with sincerity.
"For what?"

Sarenna explained.
"For changing my mind. For trying to lead me out of the dark. Trying. He's a good man, Vale. You'd do well to honor that."

Then she turned to leave, waving a farewell gesture over her departing shoulder.
"Enjoy yer cage, Vale."

Vale returned his eyes to the fire and warmed his hands.
He Knew they were of a Divided Mind.

Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Vale had lost track of everyone in the fury of the fighting. He was alone beneath the frozen sky, running as fast as his legs could carry him through the deep snow and across the planes of ice. The Karach Blade gleamed white with blinding pain, rippling and briefly pulsating brighter with each bite of elven arrow that bite his flesh.

His companions, broken and lifeless in every direction. Their life stained the snow a vibrant red that stood out in stark contrast to the numbing colors of winter. Circular pools of crimson gore scattered across the frozen white, the punctuation at the end of a lost cause. The language of such failure was not unknown to Vale Clearwaters, he had seen such before and Knew well it's meaning.

It was overwhelming.
It was unacceptable.
This is where he would fall.
This is where he would fail those that had fallen.
Failed the uncounted that would fall to the Tide of Yule.

With fingers stiff from the cold he took hold of the fallen nearest to him. Vale's feet wanted to slip out from under him, and his lean muscles burned as he tried in vain to lift the fallen to his shoulder. Thier blood had mingled with the snow, left them embedded within crimson ice. The cold had claimed them and he could not break them free. The children of the Frost Maiden were only paces away when he abandoned the cause and launched himself across the ice and snow once more.

Faltering and stumbling with each new wound suffered and endured, Vale made his way to the next of his companions. Only to find each of them as claimed by the unyielding blood ice as the last. The Blade of Karach darkened becoming a morose color as the course was determined. Orientated towards the stairs carved of ice that lead out of the lair of Kringus, Vale staggered and suffered his way out of the inner sanctum of the Demon Kringus of Yule Tide. The battle had been lost.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Breathing ragged through the Illuskan balaclava, his heart racing Vale Clearwaters took the stairs three at a time. As he emerged from the tunnel to the chamber above he almost ran head long into Nipsy and Cornelius who had stood there waiting. The sight of them alone was stunning and left Vale's mind reeling. They were standing. They were breathing, They were alive.

They asked questions that Vale had no words to to answer.

Nipsy asked if Vale had anymore of the lighting bombs or the potions of lighting breath.
Silently, Vale gave the gnome all that he had, four of the lighting bombs Sarenna had made.

Cornelius asked what was to be done, what were they to do.
Silently, Vale gave him all that he had as well, though in this case it was nothing at all.

Having seen the horrors below...
Having failed to free the dead from the ice...
Having accepted the day was lost...

Vale did not Know what should be done...Vale did not Know what these three should do next.

Retreating seemed the only chance of surviving to rally once more and return for the Demon.
Three more lives lost to the Kringus of Yule Tide....served no one, it accomplished nothing.
Could Vale retreat now? Could he turn his back from this Battle in an effort to someday win the next?
To leave the fallen entrapped within ice of their own blood....to have lead so many to their death....and flee to see the three of them survive...the cause abandoned....Could Vale Endure such?

Vale's mind locked like a malfunctioning clockwork device, his stomach dropped away leaving him hollow.....cold...frozen...despondent unable answer the question.

Slowly he turned his head to face the man beside him, to look him in the eye as he worked to deliver an answer he did not have.

That is when the scent of charred wood reached his nose, and the sight of the lighting scared Demon of Yule Tide emerged from the stairs in all of his abysmal horror. It stood as tall as a giant, it's twist gnarled form that of a tree who had grown vile from thousands of years of soaking it's roots within Abyssal soil made wet from the blood and gore of unfathomable entities and forms. With the sound of wood groaning low it's crooked back straightened as it stood tall within the chamber and looked down upon the three of them. Almost ever inch of Kringus was charred and smoldering from the lighting Aglorus Stamaraster had wielded against the abysmal horror. Where the wooden flesh of the demon tree was most damaged, a black sap bleed slowly outward, acting as a salve upon the worse of the lighting damaged. Smoldering and still smoking, Kringus smelled of burnt cat hair and charred wood, of spoiled corpses and the foulest most fetid of ichor.

With a mouth filled with jagged wood that resembled fence posts snapped in half by a great storm, Kringus howled in rage and desire to see the three before him crushed beneath his limbs, and their flesh made ornamentation for his branches. The sights and sounds of such were that which no mortal mind was ever intended to witness. Three reasonable beings stood beneath the unreasonable. The minds of all three recoiled in primal instinctual fear demanding they flee that which should not be, that which had come from beyond their world to prey upon them.

There was no longer a choice to make.
There was no longer a decision to be made.
There was no longer a question awaiting an answer.

Two of the Three fled from their horror that was Kringus of Yule Tide. Vale launched himself forward at the demon with his blade in hand. There existed only the purity of the moment, an undivided commitment to the attack, void of second thought or doubt, the Blade of the Karach gleamed with focus and determination as it was wielded against that which was Kringus.

Fighting from a top the stairs, Vale stood almost eye to eye with the Demon. It raged with the unbridled passion and fury that only the abyss may breed, and Vale lithe frame was one of silent focus. Wounded, bathed in blood, they created a maelstrom of violence. The leafless branches of Kringus's limbs crashed down upon Vale's small frame with merciless fury while he in turn swung the Karach Blade in circular arcs one after another in an effort to cut his way through the demonic thickets to reach the black hearted trunk of the demon. The exchange lasted an eternity as the pair did everything in their power to see the other slain. Arms like trees battered Vale about the stairs, his screams of pain lost to the groaning wood of Kringus's form and the Blade of the Karach snapping through wooden limbs.

The Demon would not Die.
Kringus of Yule Tide would not be slain.

Vale retreated up the stairs to where his companions continued to struggle against the primordial fear tearing at their minds. With a fluid motion, The Karach was sheathed and Vale had his bow in hand. As Kringus's gnarled form lumbered towards him, Vale continued to retreat, letting arrows bathed in an aura of crackling lighting fly from his bow towards the Demon of Yule. His companions needed time to recover, time to rally their minds, and Vale did all he could to make such for them.

Vale's fingers slick with blood, and stiff from the cold, drew arrows from his quiver, set them upon the bow string, pulled, aimed, and released, all while leaping and running to stay outside of Kringus's reach. The Demon was mindless in it's rage, and so long as Vale proved himself worthy of such ire, his companions would remain dismissed and ignored. Vale just needed to keep moving, keep letting arrows fly, keep Kringus engaged. There became a rhythm to the exchange, that abruptly ended when Vale's hand reached deep into his now empty quiver.

With his eyes narrowed and his gaze locked upon Kringus lumbering towards him, time slowed. The arc of the fist sized hardened clay orb was beautiful to behold as it sailed through the air. The impact against the side of the demonic tree shattered the clay orb, unleashed a blinding halo of sky fire that engulfed all of Kringus. For a moment Kringus appeared a giant blackened match stick silhouetted by white lighting.

Nipsy Peanut Esquire did not hesitate to hurl the second, third, or fourth orb of lighting upon the demon. Each finding it's mark, each erupting in a blinding storm of lighting that further charred the wooden body and boiled the black blood of this Demon of Winter.

Cornelius and Vale charged with hammer raised, and Blade ready.

Still reeling from the repeated lighting strikes, Kringus of Yule Tide was not prepared to ward away their blows as they came. In an effort of unison the three of them fell the leafless demon tree of winter, and it was with an ice shattering fall that the Demon of Yule Tide, Kringus fell dead at their feet.

While the warrior Cornelius and Vale Clearwaters themselves were staggered and disoriented from the effort, the Gnome Nipsy Peanut Esquire knew that their work was not done here. There remained one thing left to do, to make Kringus's defeat indisputably true.

With a well practiced hand, Nipsy Peanut removed a strongly worded legal writ from his robes and let the scroll unroll it's self with but a flicker of his wrist. With a sharpen steel tack, the legal script was pinned to what remained of the Demon Tree.

Kringus of Yule Tide, Servant of Auril, Source of the Spell Freeze, and Creator of Winter without End....had been Served.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

The evening streets were wet from day's defrosting, and Vale Clearwaters walked them with unhurried strides. The Winter and the troubles of the season were slowly fading away like so much melted run off trickling away into the city sewers. With each step across the slick cobble stones he was putting time between himself and the Winter that was, a Winter he would not forget.

It had been a season of unexpected trials and brutal tribulations. There was the loss of his friends and mentors, the Warrior Takashi and the good Doctor Von Mufflebop. Struggles to see a course and direction provided to the Adventurer's Guild in their absence. Constant conflicts and infighting amongst allies that needed to be navigated and negotiated. Unrelenting attacks upon his person by both the minions of the Yule Tide Cult and the slanderous writings of the Daily Trumpet. Multiple legal trials, fines, edicts, and one temporary death sentence. Three times the Spell Freeze crippled him and his allies in their efforts. Lives lost such as Tasma's that were sacrificed in efforts to see the tide turned. He had lost track of the battles fought and wounds suffered to himself and others. It was no Pillar of Silence, yet he could not help but draw comparisons to the Third of the Unbroken Circles.

Submerge the Will

Zerthimon labored many turnings for the illithid Arlathii Twice-Deceased and his partnership in the cavernous heavens of the False Worlds. His duties would have broken the backs of many others, but Zerthimon labored on, suffering torment and exhaustion.

It came to pass that the illithid Arlathii Twice-Deceased ordered Zerthimon before him in his many-veined galleria. He claimed that Zerthimon had committed slights of obstinance and cowardice against his partnership. The claim had no weight of truth, for Arlathii only wished to know if flames raged within Zerthimon's heart. He wished to know if Zerthimon's heart was one of a slave or of a rebel.

Zerthimon surrendered to the illithid punishment rather than reveal his new-found strength. He knew that were he to show the hatred in his heart, it would serve nothing, and it would harm others that felt as he. He chose to endure the punishment and was placed within the Pillars of Silence so he might suffer for a turning.

Lashed upon the Pillars, Zerthimon moved his mind to a place where pain could not reach, leaving his body behind. He lasted a turning, and when he was brought before Arlathii Twice-Deceased, he gave gratitude for his punishment to the illithid as was custom. In so doing, he proved himself a slave in the illithid eyes while his heart remained free.

By enduring and quenching the fires of his hatred, he allowed Arlathii Twice-Deceased to think him weak. When the time of the Rising came, Arlathii was the first of the illithid to know death by Zerthimon's hand and die a third death.

The lesson of the Third Circle was a simple one.
There are times in life in which one must Endure.
There are hardships and tragedies.
There are great pains and loss.
There are unexpected challenges and set backs.
One must remain focused upon what is important.

One must not allow themselves to become lost in the mire of pain and grief, self-pity and sorrow.

One must learn to bend as not to break.

One must Endure, and by Enduring grow Stronger.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Map making was an exercise in patience, and Vale Clearwater worked unhurried as he sorted through his field sketches and measurements. Doctor Luther Von Mufflebop had introduced him to the making of Maps, the importance continuity of scale, maintaining proper measurements and regularly and thoroughly reviewing your efforts to insure each piece added up to create a proper whole capable of clearly representing and presenting the map reader with the information they needed.

The assorted sketches, measurements taken, and field notes spread out beneath him took up the entire table. The time had come to organize his efforts and consolidate them into one united whole. Looking over the dozens of pages before him, each as important as the next, and none of them of use without refference to the others, Vale's mind turned to the lessons of the the Fourth of the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon.

Vilquar's Eye

Know that the Rising of the People against the illithid was a thing built upon many ten-turnings of labor. Many of the People were gathered and taught in secret the ways of defeating their illithid masters. They were taught to shield their minds, and use them as weapons. They were taught the scripture of steel, and most importantly, they were given the knowing of freedom.

Some of the People learned the nature of freedom and took it into their hearts. The knowing gave them strength. Others feared freedom and kept silent. But there were those that knew freedom and knew slavery, and it was their choice that the People remain chained. One of these was Vilquar.

Vilquar saw no freedom in the Rising, but opportunity. He saw that the illithid had spawned across many of the False Worlds. Their Worlds numbered so many that their vision was turned only outwards, to all they did not already touch. Vilquar's eye saw that much took place that the illithid did not see. To the Rising, the illithid were blinded.

Vilquar came before his master, the illithid Zhijitaris, with the knowing of the Rising. Vilquar added to his chains and offered to be their eyes against the Rising. In exchange, Vilquar asked that he be rewarded for his service. The illithid agreed to his contract.

At the bonding of the contract, a dark time occurred. Many were betrayals Vilquar committed and many were the People that the illithids fed upon to stem the Rising. It seemed that the Rising would die before it could occur, and the illithid were pleased with Vilquar's eye.

It was near the end of this dark time when Zerthimon came to know Vilquar's treacheries. In knowing Vilquar's eye, Zerthimon forced the Rising to silence itself, so that Vilquar might think at last his treacheries had succeeded, and the Rising had fallen. He knew that Vilquar eye was filled only with the reward he had been promised. He would see what he wished to see.

With greed beating in his heart, Vilquar came upon the illithid Zhijitaris and spoke to his master of his success. He said that the Rising had fallen, and the illithids were safe to turn their eyes outwards once more. He praised their wisdom in using Vilquar's eye, and he asked them for his reward.

In his greed-blindness, Vilquar had forgotten the *knowing* of why the People had sought freedom. He had lost the knowing of what slavery meant. He had forgotten what his illithid masters saw when they looked upon him. And so Vilquar's betrayal of the People was ended with another betrayal. Vilquar came to know that when Vilquar's eye has nothing left to see, Vilquar's eye is useless.

The illithid gave to Vilquar his reward, opening the cavity of his skull and devouring his brain. Vilquar's corpse was cast upon the Fields of Husks so its blood might water the poison-stemmed grasses.

Vale knew the Fourth Circle to teach many different lessons, depending upon the perspective from which one approached it.

Vale knew this was the most important lesson of the Fourth Circle.

Vale knew that People are the Choices they make.

Vale knew that Perspective guided those Choices.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Wren Bluefeather hummed softly within the hidden glade of the Westwood, and Vale Clearwaters took a seat. Vale had spent all of the Winter upon his feet, hounded and hunted by the teleporting minions of the Yule Tide Cult. Now that it was spring, he indulged himself and dared to rest easy upon a fallen log. He watched the sun light dance upon the water fall as Wren's musical humming turned to singing.

"turn your face to the sun, turn your smile to the sky and when the day is done smile and close your eyes."

"The river sings in her bed, a gently falling song , the flowers open petals spread, whispering along...."

Without warning the air before Vale was disturbed, the rift between realities was a vertical wound in existence that briefly bulged wider as the Githyanki sprung into Toril. The Silver Sword of the Astral denizen swung down into the fallen log where Vale was seated only a fraction of a second before.

The lessons of the long winter had not been forgotten and without hesitation Vale responded to the teleporting threat with well honed precision as he unleashed a barrage of close quarter body blows against his attacker. The impact of his elbows and knees against the Githyanki were absorbed by the density of the Astral Warrior's steel cord like muscles and bones denser then stone.

The unflinching Githyanki's movements were akin to a well muscled predatory cat as he stepped back two and a half strides to place Vale within the ideal striking range of his next attack. The Blade of the Karach shimmered like wet obsidian as it cleared it's scabbard and was poised to counter the blow to come. The violence of the moment disturbed the serenity of the peaceful glade with all the subtleties of Kalo closing a portal. Startled, Wren screamed out Vale's name as her hands moved to play the traditional instrument of elves during times of war, and an arrow was placed to bowstring.

The Githyanki though did not press his advantage and instead moved to a surefooted defensive posture and unleashed questions.

"What? You? Again?"

With Wren's arrow trained upon the Astral Warrior, Vale took a step back to provide space for words to be exchanged freely where a moment ago fatal wounds were to bloom. Uncertain of the Githyanki's puzzlement, Vale shared his own question with the silver sword wielder.

"Again?"

From across four sure footed strides distance, Sword and Blade poised at the ready, the pair of combatants made a silent study of each other. Each searching the other for motive, intent, strengths, weakness, and understanding. The Githyanki broke the silence.

"We have met before."

Vale's voice reached out with sincerity and concern in response.

"Where.....When?"

The Astral Warrior deflected Vale's question with a brief and effortless hand gesture towards the Karach Blade as he spoke.

"That is too dangerous for a heretic servant of the Illithid."

Wren's archer eyes blinked in response and the color of a cloud grey sky rippled across the length of the Karach Blade. The Githyanki who was studying Vale, pressed.

"Do you not recall?"

With unhurried hands, Vale returned the Karach Blade to it's scabbard, while Wren watched with her bow kept level and ready. Once more she called out to him, this time as a question.

"Vale?"

In response, to both, Vale calmly and honestly replied.

"I am Vale Clearwaters....and I do not recall. Who are you?"

"Perhaps then you found what you sought. My name is not meant to be spoken by your tongue.... but when last we spoke you gave me the Karach, and this stone."

In his extended hand, the Githyanki held a curved stone covered with engravings spelling out the sixth of the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon.

"You were a broken man, of mind and body. The truth, I think, broke you."

Confusion, concern, and curiosity prompted Vale to ask.

"Were....you and I.....Rrakkma? Why would....What is your understanding of Why i gave you such?"

The Githyanki snorted in response to the question, it may have been the closest to a laugh he had come in sometime.
"Rrakkma?"

Vale took one unhurried slow step forward, his hands open and away from his Karach Blade as the Githyanki once more spoke sternly.

"There Cannot Be Two Skies. The truth that Zerthimon was a slave servant of the Illithid was too much for your mind. Perhaps you need the reminder again......"

The Githyanki extended his left hand offering Vale the stone disk. The pair of them did not break eye contact as Vale slowly approached to collect what was offered.

"But you will return the Karach. Zerthimon was an illithid ploy to split our kind."

With the slightest shake of his head side to side, Vale replied honestly.
"I...do not Know that to be true."

The Githyanki continued with his claims.
"It is there in the circle.On the blasted plains, Zerthimon told Gith that there cannot be two skies. In the wake of his words, came war. It was as the Illithids intended. His Will was not submerged during his torture by the Illithids.... it was dominated."

Vale slowly nodded in acknowledgment if not agreement, while the Githyanki continued to speak.

"He was used as a bomb to divide our kind. Thereby, you too are a slave to the Illthid."

With his gaze unbroken, Vale nodded once more in an effort to keep this Githyanki speaking. There were questions to be asked and answers to be heard, and Vale did not want the tense exchange to devolve into violence.

"You gave me this, and said you wished to forget. We took the Karach into safe keeping, to keep it from the Illithid as you came to accept the truth of Zerth. Why did you steal it and reclaim it?"

"Who...were....we....to eachother?"

"As Gith and Zerth have always been, enemies."

The proclamation of two skies was not unknown to Vale Clearwaters. He had studied the teaching of Zerthimon, he had used the lessons of the Unbroken Circles as the foundation of which he had built his life. One choice at a time, one choice after another. Vale choose to step back outside of sword's reach.

"Until such time as Zerth accept that they are the Illithid slaves, they will always be so. It was the Illithids will that Zerthimon made the pronouncement of two skies. Any that are servants of the Illithid are enemies to the Gith"

There was a desire within Vale to argue, to take a stand for what he knew, to lash out at this Githyanki for his claims of the Zerth being servants of the Enemy. That though would at a minimal end the conversation, and quite possibly result in violence that would leave one or more of them slain, and so Vale instead communicated not that the Githyanki was wrong, only that Vale did not know him to be right.

"I do not Know that....I do not Know that Zerthimon was a servent of the Enemy."

This gentle and mild rebuking only inspired the Githyanki to snort once more with humor at Vale.

"Read then your stones again, you will find the truth there written in your own hands..... But you will drop the Karach."

Written by his own hands? What did he not Know of his own past? How similar to the life he remembered was the life he did not? In an effort to entice the Githyanki to elaborate, to keep him sharing, Vale began to speak of the Karach.

"The Karach......I was....lead to it...."

Not interested in explanations the Githyanki interupted.
"It cannot be in the hands of an Illithid slave like yourself."

With her bow unpowered and her arrow aimed at the Astral Warrior, Wren spoke true of her intent to see Vale Clearwaters defended.
" No way... you're not leaving him unarmed , I'll have an arrow in your hide before you take another step...."

Violence though in any form was the least desirable course for Vale in this scenerio. If the Githyanki was slain, then once more answers to his questions of the past would be lost...and if the battle ended differently Vale would no longer be in a position to ask questions of anyone.

"Wren...do not threaten....the Gith "

The Githyanki offered Wren only the briefest of glance, on that spoke clearly of his lack of concern from her quarter. Then as if done paying the interruption all the attention it was due, the Astral Warrior once more looked to Vale, and spoke.

"The flesh knows when it suffers, even when the mind does not."

Vale offered a defensive maneuver not wanting the conversation to end.

" I....do not Know you......it maybe true that once I did. I though now....in this moment do not....Know you."

The Githyanki was not deterred.
"You know, but refuse to accept"

Vale knew he needed to push back or be run down.
"Know....I am not going to hand a Karach Blade to someone Unknown to myself."

With great disdain dripping from his words the Githyanki verbally advanced.
"Your life is a lie and a slave to the Illithid. Shrak't'lor is no more."

As the questions compounded it became increasingly difficult to shape statements, and Vale retorted with what he could muster.

"That is....your opinion, Gith."

With his words still wet with disdain of previous remarks, the Githyanki, made his ultimatum clear.

"If I must sever your silver strand to retrieve it, I will."

Vale had been taking the measure of this Githyanki since his arrival from beyond. He appearwd honest and confused about
what Vale was doing, and almost fearful of the Karach. The Githyanki believed Vale to be a servant of the Illithid through his participation in the practices of the Zerth.

"Would you die to protect your Illithid masters?"

This was not his enemy, this was not the Enemy. Vale made an effort to explain once more how the Karach came to be in his hand.
" A cult of this world devouted to an unforgiving winter goddess...summoned a Demon to this world."

The effort was cut through without mercy by the Githyanki.
"Those are but nothing."

Wren remained at the ready with her arrow aimed, yet her voice betrayed her lack understanding as she spoke without understanding or confidence in Vale Clearwaters's defense.

"But he's not...."

Not concerned with her or her opinion the Githyanki continued.
"There is only the pursuit of the destruction of all Illithid."

The battle was lost, yet Vale continued his effort to draw it out.
"I sought a weapon that could.....defeat such......and rumors of this Karach's existence in the region lead me to it."

With a nod of understanding the Githyanki shared an opinion and concern of his own.
"Your flesh remembers your past, even if your mind does not. What became of you that your mind has forgotten so much?"

Staggered yet standing Vale confessed.
"I.....I do not Know...... Know only I am Vale Clearwaters......I do not Know.....what name you may have once Known me by."

The Githyanki's study of Vale shift from taking a measure of him, to a medical examination, particularly of his head.
"No signs that you have been fed on. But you are a slave to their will, as all Zerth are."

Vale was growing desprite and the Githyanki bolder. In an effort to see their continued existence further shared, Vale raised a flag of truce.

"That is your opinion....and perhaps it was once mine.....Know that currently it is not. The Past we shared.....I do not Know.....if you are willing to educate....I am willing to learn."

The truce was offered and terms were laid before Vale without compromise.
"I will speak no more of it until you surrender the karach"

Vale nodded slowly and in an effort to show the surrender was upon his own terms, made one final request before the armistice.
"I would hear the name of he who takes it."

All those touched by war suffer, often it is the population of the losing side that cries out the loudest in the end. Wren did just that.
"Vale..NO!

Without ceremony or ritual, Vale's hands worked slowly and surely to remove the Karach Blade and scabbard from his side and offered it to the Githyanki who looked relieved to see the weapon recovered.

"My name has no sounds in your tongue. You may call me as "One of Gith." You may keep the stone, you had asked to never see it again when last we spoke. But perhaps now you need it to remember the truth of who you are. And the deception of the most hated Illithid."

The Githyanki was calm, yet he spoke with a level of malice that indicated he wanted Vale to suffer as he had long ago in a time beyond the reach of his memory. It was a tyranny Vale would Endure in exchange for more of what the Githyanki may share.

" One of the Gith.....These stones.....the Karach......I did not seek them......yet they have appeared in my path as I traveled through this life."

The Astral Warrior addressed Vale's question as if he was being bothered to educate an unlearned child.
"The planes are connected by more than just mere matter..... the lies of the "Unbroken Circle" were once yours, and have found you again."

Vale new time was growing short from the Githyanki's tone. There would be time to process this and more later, for now he put forward questions as quickly as he could.

"How...did you find me here? Where....you seeking me?"

"The Karach, it bends the very planes around its existence. It is a piece of Limbo itself and could collapse this entire plane of existence. It will be kept with the other Zerth who have learned of their own mind enslavement, and rejected Zerthimon to join the Rakkma."

The news left Vale reeling and for a noticeable moment he hesitated.
"I would share words with them."

The Githyanki had won the day and claimed that which he came to claim, he drank his victory in as wine and the words flowed from him.

"Rest assured, the Illithid Cult of Zerthimon followers is nearly no more, their influence on our kind nearly gone. You have not come to know the truth yet, and you are not one of us. Your mind and body are not as one, the planes would rend them asunder."

Vale wanted his destination revealed.
"You leave this world then?"

The Astral Warrior was not so drunk with accomplishments to betray himself fully.
"Yes, I must remove this to safety. It must stay out of Illithid hands. Perhaps when you have healed and come to terms with your enslavement to Illithids, we will meet again."

Vale looked down to study the backs of his trembling hands, and the Githyanki left him to do so.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

The din of the crowd within the Unicorn Inn was a noticeable distraction, and Vale scowled into the campfire. It had been some days since his encounter with "One of Gith", and none of them had been particularly peaceful or productive. Vale needed time to sort things out, and the distractions of the city and it's population proved an obstacle to his efforts. The crowd within the Unicorn Inn was not much of an improvement.

With his head in his hands Vale stared blankly into the fire working to sort through what he knew and what he did not, what he might do to learn more, and what choices were before him, and what choices he had made before. The sheer number of revelations, implications, and possibilities though were staggering and with every effort he hit a mental wall of hopeless confusion and bewilderment. Even concerted efforts to start at the beginning and slowly progress through the history of things was met with the daunting realization he did not know where the beginning started. He ran the fingers of both hands through his hair, closed his eyes and lowered his head.

For the last thirty years he had used the lessons of the Unbroken Circle Circle of Zerthimon as the inspiration for his choices, and the foundation upon which he created his life.....and now...he Knew? it was not the first time? He knew he had walked a similar road once before, one that lead to madness? Was it all a lie?

Vale Clearwater sighed and lifted his head high and let it roll lazily back from shoulder to shoulder while his neck audibly cracked in several places. He was tense, and that was about the extent of what he did Know. He took a deep breath and slowly exhaled in an effort to let go of the distractions cluttering up his thoughts, and it was about as effective as asking the weather to change.

He abandoned the Guild to stand or fail upon it's own merit, he went to Mistress Gardner for a Medical exam only to learn she was not actually qualified to provide one, and the one peaceful meal he shared with Nipsy was interrupted with Vansa's empty promises and threats as thinly veiled as her cold and well curved flesh.

Focus, he said to himself with a mixture of disgust and disappointment at his inability to keep his mind in order.

He took another deep breath and slowly exhaled.

Vansa's thinly veiled cold curves were not where his mind should be.

He stood and began pacing around the edges of the campfire.
Sometimes there can be a stillness found in motion.

He took another overly deliberate deep breath and forced himself to slowly exhale.

With a nod of understanding the Githyanki shared an opinion and concern of his own.
"Your flesh remembers your past, even if your mind does not. What became of you that your mind has forgotten so much?"

One of Gith made the claim that Vale's flesh may remember what his mind had forgotten.....Mistress Gardner proved inept medical consultant, he would seek out Aglorus and Thethost next....their eyes might find what Vale himself had not, and their minds might provide insights his own would not.

With great disdain dripping from his words the Githyanki verbally advanced.
"Your life is a lie and a slave to the Illithid. Shrak't'lor is no more."

What became of Shrak't'lor?

"The Karach, it bends the very planes around its existence. It is a piece of Limbo itself and could collapse this entire plane of existence. It will be kept with the other Zerth who have learned of their own mind enslavement, and rejected Zerthimon to join the Rakkma."

How many other Zerth?
Where were they being kept?
Where did this Knowledge arrive from, and was it True?

"Rest assured, the Illithid Cult of Zerthimon followers is nearly no more, their influence on our kind nearly gone. You have not come to know the truth yet, and you are not one of us. Your mind and body are not as one, the planes would rend them asunder."

What was meant to claim my Mind and Body are not as One, and that the planes would rend them asunder?

Vale slowly shook his head as he completed another lap around the campfire where he had been speaking to himself in an effort to recall and vocalize parts of the conversation he had shared. The act of speaking the words out loud, the walking, they were aids in the effort to help his mind focus. Speaking the Words, hearing them spoke helped recreate the memory and allowed for examination, and the pacing was a means of working away the nervous energy and tension that filled him.

Those were all puzzle pieces missing from his effort to see the whole.
Vale though knew the truth.
Vale knew none of those pieces were as important as the choices he needed to make about the pieces he already held and refused to dare examine. He wanted to make the claim that he was reserving judgement until he knew more, but he knew that was a lie.

Vale was simply scared and overwhelmed with the possible implications that he had allowed a lie to guide his life choices a second time, and that this road may very well once more lead to madness.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Rest did not come easy, eventually though Vale entered Reverie. His mind turned to the recently shared meal within the Smiling Siren, what was there that this memory was the one his resting hours invested themselves in reviewing?

Vale looked over his shoulders before turning his gaze to Nipsy Peanut Esquire.

"The tale I would tell you......it is difficult for myself to follow and I have lived it. I trust you to not.....make what I share with you public knowledge."

Comfortable in his chair Nipsy nodded, and the gesture from the gnome he had learned to trust with his secrets and stood with against Kringus was all the prompting he needed to begin sharing the burden of his past.

"The Beginning as I knew it....was a false start. Roughly Thirty years ago.....Evereska.....the Fortress Home of the Elves who did not Retreat from the Mainland was attacked by a host of Pharimms from the Desert. Pharimms....are large......otherworldly looking magical beasts......Wind Sock shaped beings of flesh the size of Ogres....with maws similar to a Lampray...They were once the rivals of the Ancient Netherses......potent Arcanists and Psionic beings. Regardless...I....I was found wandering the wreckage of the battlefield....or so I was told. I was found naked and afraid.... near mindless and feral.......I was taken in as a wounded survivor by the Elves of Evereska."

"I had no memory of myself or my past...I was a relatively blank slate my friend...somethings though seemed to develop faster then others.....with very little time I recovered or learned mastery of language, both spoken and written..."

"Later when I was well enough to begin experimenting with more vigorous exercising then walking.....I displayed skill at arms that perhaps alluded to previous training....despite my inability to remember such."

"Amoungst the Elves of Evereska there exists a small enclave of potent and scholarly Psionics......who have worked to amass what maybe the largest trove of Psionic lore and Knowledge in all of Faerun. When the efforts of the Clergy failed....I was brought to the Psions of the Hall of the Kaliesh'erai...in hopes they may allow me to once more remember who I was."

"Their efforts met with failure....or perhaps so I was told...either way...I was forced to confront that I many never know who I was...from where it is I came...if I had Family or Friends...anyone or anything. It was a bitter tonic and reacted like a spoiled child to it at first...I refused on accounts it was unfair and distasteful."

I was inspired to smile at how insolent he once was, how entitled he believed himself to be. Nipsy's face in turn held a tight smile.

"It was during these years as a ward of the Hall of the Kailishari...I discovered the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon.....The texts written to tell the story of the the First People...the texts that share with the reader how it is they became slaves to the illithid. How they lost all that they were...their Gods, Culture, Sense of Self. Everything that made them a People.....as they instead came to become cattle.......and of how in time they once more came to Know themselves...How they cast off the shackles of the Illithid and made an effort to work towards becoming People once more despite all they had lost and all they were forced to overcome in the process. Finding this.....was inspirational to me in a way I may not have words to accurately describe my friend."

Nipsy who had remained an attentive and active listen encouraged Vale to continue. Either because Nipsy was concerned enough about Vale to learn his story, or concerned enough about him that he knew Vale needed someone to listen to him tell it.

"Please, go on. It's fascinating"

"I myself had lost all that I was and was struggling with such......and here I learned of an entire People who lost all that they were.....and how they in turn, endured their loss, and set to creating their future. The the next Twenty years or so.....I emerged myself in the teachings of such....I learned to stop concerning myself with Who I had been....and set to determining Who I Am."

With his face flushing with embarrassment Vale glanced over his shoulder to see if anyone other then Nipsy was paying him any mind. Once more his companion offered words of support, encouragement, and Vale confessed through a child like smile.

"I started practicing Githzerai Martial Arts......from what few scrolls and texts I had available to me."

It was almost laughable how embarrassing it was to share that he had started training based solely upon what written materials he could gather, there existed in him a level of shame for never having actual attended a proper Monastery or trained under the tutelage of a Zerth. It was a silly thing he worked to dismiss with a small shake of his head and a smile.

"The lessons of Zerhimon's Unbroken Circles...they became my inspiration and the foundation in which I built my life...or perhaps rebuilt it."

"Eventually I decided it was time for me to leave the safty of the Elven Enclave behind and explore the Realms...I came to Waterdeep seeking to challenge myself...to face the City of Splendor's head on...and perhaps become a defender of it. The time that I have spent here...it has been a journey all of it's own."

Vale paused for a moment, collected his thoughts and then began to share with his companion the recent encounter with One of Gith.

"A few days passed...while working to expand Wren's horizons and show here the dangers of the Westwood......we stopped within a hidden and peaceful glade. There......I was assaulted by a Githyanki Warrior.....are you fa miler with the Githyanki...or the Githzerai?"

"No. Are they a mercenary company?"

Vale shared with Nipsy the curved stone engraved with the Sixth Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon, the Proclamation of Two Skies. After Nipsy had made an examination of such, Vale continued to explain the schism of the Gith in his own words to his friend.

"Once....the First People.....had won their freedom......Gith desired to continue their fighting across all of the Planes of Existence and the Uncounted Worlds until all Illithid were slain, and other peoples defeated. Zerthimon though.....spoke against such and declared now was a time for the First People to stop Fighting....and instead determine Who they would become with the Freedom they had won.......The War that followed almost saw the First People removed from existence...The World they fought upon was reduced to a lifeless orb.....The Githyanki.....Gith's Children....retreated to the Astral Sea........The Githzerai, Those that Stood Against Gith, Retreated to the Plane of Limbo."

Nipsy nodded slowly in an expression of acknowledgement, if not an expression of understanding.

"While...within the Glade.....through the Planes a Githyanki lept into Toril and attacked...and ceased doing so shortly after with both an expression of recognition and confusion upon his face. I learned...that this Githyanki and I had met before...during what years predate the limited reach of my Memory."

At this Nipsy sat bit taller in his chair, leaned forward a bit more alert at what Vale may share next.

"I learned that I had been...a Zerth...Zerth is a title granted to Githzerai who cleave true to the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon...they are leaders, warriors, champions, and scholars amoungst the Githzerai. I suppose though....Zerth is a title...anyone who is a Zerth may earn...regardless of heritage...not unlike Sergeant Amar."

"I learned...I learned that I not only had I met this Githyanki previously....but we were enemies as the followers of Gith and the followers of Zerthimon are enemies...I learned that...The Karach I wielded against Kringus...was once my own... long ago. I learned that these Stones that I have been tripping across...I engraved with my own hands."

Nipsy interjected with words Vale did not disagree with.

"That sounds like more than a coincidence."

"I learned as well...that long ago in a time I do not remember...that I Knew Zerthimon to have been an agent of the Illithid.....and his Proclaiming Two Skies was an effort to divide the First People...to see them incapable of hunting the Illithid to extinction."

Having recently read the Proclamation of Two Skies and having followed story Vale was sharing, Nipsy inclined his head and confessed.

"Oh... yes, I can see that now."

"This...Knowing that Zerthimon was a servant to the Illithid...I am told it broke the man I was...I surrendered my Karach Blade to the Githyanki because I knew no slave of the Illithid should be trusted with such."

It was then that Vansa strolled up to their table with predatory grin and murderous mischief in her eyes.

Vale snapped from his Reverie to find himself inside a rustic room of the Unicorn Inn. He looked about then forced his eyes closed and worked to regulate his breathing. The act was not without effort.

With his eyes closed and his breathing rhythmic, Vale Clearwaters worked to make sense of what his Reverie had provided him....

"I was found wandering the wreckage of the battlefield....or so I was told."

How did I arrive there? Does that truly matter? Was I lied to by the Elves of Evereska? Does it matter in truth if I was?

"Their efforts met with failure....or perhaps so I was told."

Did the Kaliesh'erai work in earnest to see my lost memories restored, or were their efforts feigned? To what end were their motivations, and in truth do they even matter?

"I learned to stop concerning myself with Who I had been...and set to determining Who I Am."

I had no choice...No I had a choice.
I had the choice of struggling for what could not be had or struggling for what could be.

Now that the secrets of my past can be had...are they needed?
If the choices made define a person.
If perception is that which guides our choices.

Who would I be if I choose not to Know, now that learning and Knowing is an option?

Who might I be if I did Know?

"I Knew Zerthimon to have been an agent of the Illithid.....and his Proclaiming Two Skies was an effort to divide the First People...to see them incapable of hunting the Illithid to extinction."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

The need to make water was real, and Vale left the Unicorn Inn to find a tree of his choice to make it upon. The morning was crisp within the Westwood and when he sighed with relief steam was made. Aftermaking water, Vale worked to draw water from the stream that ran down from Sword mountain, through the Westwood and into the Sea of Swords. To breakfast he set the water to boil over the campfire to make tea. With his eyes watching the kettle, the passing of time slowed to a crawl and he entertained himself with returning to where his Reverie had left off.

Vansa sauntered up to the table dressed in rather revealing elegance, and Vale rose to his feet to meet her gaze. Nipsy went pale before Vale began introductions.

"Sergeant Amar Nipsy Peanut Esquire....allow me to Introduce...Vansa."

Vale gestured between the pair of them with an open hand, and Vansa provided a charming smile.

"Well....well....Do you two dashing fellows mind if I join you? of course you don't"

Not wanting to be argumentative but capable of being combative, Nipsy removed the pin from a Holy Hand Grenade and replied with civility.
"Right, well met."

Looking from his untouched meal to Vansa, with Nipsy holding a pin in one hand and a grenade in the other, Vale made an effort to set the tone.

"I trust there will not be a scene?"

In response Vansa moved to take a seat, crossing her legs in a manner that very much so created a scene. Nipsy's elevation or lack of spared him the dramatics of such, while Vale was left making an effort to remind himself she was an animated corpse. With expression of feigned hurt, Vansa spoke.

"Not unless you want one, Vale."

Vale returned to his seat and wrapped a piece of seasoned venison in leafy greens as Vansa continued.

"I have some friends here.....but the truth of it is that I'm here to see you."

In an effort to take proper stock of the scene, Sergeant Amar Nipsy Peanut Esquire, made a quick study of Vale.

"Vale, just for clarity here, are you under a magical compulsion right now?"

"This is what happens when I sit down."
Taking a bite of his venison wrap, Vale looked to Nipsy while chewing and shook his head in response to the inquire, before turning his gaze back to Vansa.

Vansa in a pretense of civility looked to Nipsy and gestured to his empty chair.
"Sergeant, please."

In a continued effort to see everyone's cards, Nipsy asked Vale another pertinent question.
" And you are aware she, ahem, this is a vampire?"

Not wanting to hurry his meal or talk while chewing, Vale looked back to Nipsy and nodded. In response Nipsy set his terms and avoided direct eye contact with Vansa.
"I'll stand, thankyou."

Vale finished chewing, Nipsy rummaged about his pack one handed till he had paper, quill and ink upon the table, and Vansa broke the silence to move things along with an inquiry.

"Vale? Is....are you under investigation?"

Nipsy began scribing away, slightly crouched as if using the table for cover while going near cross eyed to keep both her and his Quill strokes inside his sight.

Given the hand grenade still clutched in Nipsy hand, Vale decided Vansa's curiosity would have to wait, and he turned to address Nipsy.

"I suspect....she is here to exchange words.....and given the quality of the establishment....and the number of patrons present....Neither of us are much interested in causing property damage or instigating what might get others hurt."

Now for the Vampire in waiting, Vale slowly swiveled his gaze back to her, where it lingered as he spoke.

"I am.....in a sense......one of my own making. Regardless though....why do you seek me out?

Vansa's sultry brow arched with sensual tones of playful curiosity, and Vale made an effort to casually take another bite of his venison wrapped in leafy greens. Vansa briefly shifted her gaze to the scribing Sergeant, and Vale mentally worked to remind himself Vansa was an animated corpse while chewing.

"I was wondering if you would be willing to take a walk with me....talk a bit. If you worry about perceptions....your friend can come as well.."

In response Sergeant Amar Nipsy Peanut Esquire laid his quill down with silent authority, and in act of civic duty, slide the paper before him across the table to Vansa.

Current charges and accusations against one individual known as Vansa
Assault upon a priest
Magical assault
Assault with wounding
Assault against a citizen
Unlawful restraint
Slavery

With pride Vansa sat a little taller in her chair, arching her shoulders back and her chest forward as she reached out to slide the paper closer for inspection. While Vansa reviewed the document, Nipsy added.

"I suspect also unlawful entry into the flight space, but no witnesses to that"

Vansa wore a coy smile as she slide the paper back to Nipsy.

"My dear sergeant....you forgot....mmm....murder.....conspiracy to procreate undead....and very likely some other things."

Nipsy without hurry nor hesitation slide the paper and quill this time back to her.

"Feel free to sign a confession."

Having taken the time to carefully chew while watching the exchange, Vale decided it was time to make a suggestion.

"I would preffer.....we share words here......I can finish my meal...and perhaps the atmosphere of the establishment may serve to keep all parties entertained, and relaxed?"

Vansa replied by turning her attention to the stage and almost purring low.
"Mmmmm....do I love this song."

Perhaps out of a sincere appreciation for the music, or for dramatic effect, Vansa swayed slowly in her chair while watching the minstrel perform. Vale kept an eye on her, while tending to another bite of his meal. When Vansa decided it was time she rolled her attention back towards Vale.

"Vale....my dear, I hear you are out as the head of the guild."

Nipsy had the sweats...the combination of being within his element and the very real possibility of the conversation devolving into catastrophic violence had the gnome as excited as he was concerned. Vale took his time finishing what he was chewing and then addressed Vansa directly.

"I decided to indulge in some personal time."

Vale followed up with a plain to see forced smile lacking sincerity, and Nipsy reached with his grenade free hand for more paper. As Nipsy worked to document the conversation,Vansa added to it.

"During this personal foray.....have you considered further my offer? to be my second?"

This earned Vale a brief bit of glance from the Sergeant, who then returned to work as Vansa continued.

"I have another who is keenly interested.....but he is...less."

She made a face you would imagine a lemon making when someone bit into it, and she shook her head without enthusiasms.

"I just thought with your...development...you might be thinking of a position with me."

What does she Know about his developments?

"I had previously decided to not accept the offer...though in recent days...I have found myself...in a position to reexamine everything I previous knew and all of which I had used as the foundation of my life choices......"

In total disregard for what taboos may exist for placing one's elbows upon a dinner table, Vansa did so while leaning in ever so closer to Vale. The look in her eye a blind man could see, and Vale could not help but want to feel the purse in her lips pressed against him.

"Perhaps...if...after some deep and sincere soul searching...I might find myself to be of a low enough quality of mettle as a person to consider your offer of a lifeless existence trapped within an unending meaningless loop of whim fulfillment....attractive."

The quill did not pause as Nipsy's eyes worked to warily take in the pair of them.

"Not quite there yet though."

Vale took another bite of his venison wrap, and Vansa lowered her gaze tot he table top.

"You wound me Vale"

Seeing how vansa had decided elbows upon the table top were fair game, Vale raised his left hand to conceal his mouth while he began speaking while chewing.

"I though have discussed the position with some others..."

The impish grin and following flattering, made it obvious Vansa enjoyed rule breakers.

"Recruiting for me? I am certain....few are as able as you."

Not wanting to overly encourage her, Vale worked to finish chewing before he continued.

"I was orginally thinking.....after having lost your second....maybe you retreated back to Waterdeep.....seeking comfort in old hunting grounds as it were. Now...I was thinking.....perhaps upon your return, Lord Moonstar saw swiftly to once more seeing you made an asset...which after your years of exploration and being the one to give the commands...no doubt was grating and an undesired humbling."

Nipsy licked his dry lips and as casually as he could fetched a drink from his pack. The beverage of choice for the City's Finest was served in a small vial, labeled courage. Vansa gave Nipsy a wink that might have injured lesser men.

"Enjoy it while it lasts, Sergeant."

In response Nipsy laid out a freash sheet of paper to continue his efforts. Vale having paused to watch the exchange, decided to continue.

"Now...here you are...making an effort to appear to be following his Orders...breaking Kal? Is that the task of excellence you have been given?"

Vansa's gaze found it's way back to Vale and she released a disappointed sigh.

"Vanrak is old news, Vale."

Short of an autopsy Vansa was difficult to read, and Vale decided to press to call her bluff.

"While in truth you are working to find a capable enough Second that together...maybe you could...find yourself no longer anyone's asset...but perhaps again giving all the orders?"

Without hesitation, and perhaps a bit to hurried the words came out of her...sounding defensive?
"I do not take orders from anyone."

Vale's goal was to keep her talking for as long as he could and commit to nothing. Now seemed an ideal oppertunity for a needlessly repetitive question.
"Truly?"

Vansa was perhaps prickled by the accusations and wanted to retaliate.
"More true than your own tale."

What did she Know of Vale's tale?
Before he could finish the thought, Vansa pressed on.

"Now...we should talk about something else. The reason I am considering you, Vale....is that you are strong."

Vale interrupted her offer.
"Before we do......I wanted to share...."

Vansa's response was rather nonnegotiable.
"No.....now you listen. you are strong."

As the conversation gained momentum, Nipsy's quill darted faster to keep pace, and Vale took another bite of his wrap. The Venison was well seasoned and it made for an enjoyable meal despite the company, truely it spoke volumes to capabilities of the kitchen staff.

"You are dedicated to the people of this city. the vast majority of which are far from strong certainly when compared to me and my friends. I am offering you a chance to pursue your goals with the added force and luxury of immortality behind you. Imagine....having forever to wage your war, imagine... having a mind like mine to protect you."

Vale remembered well Aglorus's words.
"Those who choose to willingly undergo the transformation to Unliving are beings of ultimate focus, the goals and aspirations were found to outweigh any attachments to this plane or an afterlife. They exist not as they were in life, but as a perversion of such forever locked within a static stasis of arrested development forever obsessed with whatever drive, drove them to the faulty logic of accepting Undeath as an alternative to living. Those who believe those Unliving not being capable of anything to achieve their goals top the list of fools."

In response to her urging to let his imagination run wild with the possibilities, Vale simply shook his head slowly and confessed that he already had.

"I have.....I have imagined it."

The truth was, Illithid are the Enemy of All People of All Worlds, and there did exist temptation in further weaponizing himself against them for all of eternity. Through Undeath, Vale could become Flesh they could not shape, and exist as an entity beyond the reach of their psionic influence. Vale wondered in truth if Ilithid Blood that ran as water, might be capable of slaking the theirs and meeting the dietary requirements of a Vampire.

What made the Illithid the Enemy of All People of All Worlds though was important to remember. They were so because they are that which removes from People that which separates them from cattle, Choice. Illithid though were not the only Enemy. There existed shackles of the mind other then those the Ilithid would wield, and to embrace Undeath would in it's self be a choice to forever shackle Vale's Mind to that static stasis of Undeath.

Through accepting Undeath, Vale would have all of eternity to pursue a Fight against the Illithid, in doing so though he himself would no longer be one who makes choices, and would inevitably be that which denies others the freedom of choice. Preying upon People as Cattle, not any different then the Illithid.

Ultimately it was the power of Choice that Vale was a champion of, and he would not sacrifice that which he fought to defend to see the threat against such removed.

With the grace of a well practiced courtesan and a shark's smile, Vansa gestured about the room indicating the various staff and patrons who went about their evening unaware of the predators within the room.

"All those centuries to Hunt down those foes, and all you need do to ensure that....is not let these weak ones suffer, and Suffer they Will.....starting very close to home."

With that Vansa shift her gaze to Nipsy long enough to insure the message was clear, before turning her eyes back to Vale. In response Sergeant Amar Nipsy Peanut Esquire of the Waterdeep City Watch stood tall and spoke out loud the words he scribed to the page.

"Threatening an Officer of the City."

It was almost tragically comic that immediately afterwards the effects of the previously imbibed potion of courage faded, as Nipsy's stature returned to partially crouched to use the table as some measure of cover.

"I am not....an expert in matters of the Undead.....it is in truth far a field from my studies.....I have been told though that Undeath is not.....a variation on Life.....only a variation on death.....and Undead in their lifeless existence...tend to fixate on things. I am told...Undead...in all their forms.....exist in a static state....incapable of true growth or change....forever locked into a form of arrested development based upon Who they were when made Undead."

The tone Vansa took was one of protest and disgust, perhaps fueled by self denial?
"Told....by whom? some Lathanderite who hopes his words will steel their followers against our strength?"

Our Strength? That was an interesting choice of phrase, who did she mean by Our? Was Vale already considered, one of Vansa's in her eyes? In an effort to keep her talking and not provoke her ire with an out right refusal to her offer, Vale shared with her some truths of his current state of affairs in hopes she may read into such what she wanted to see.

"Now.....bear with me in that I myself am experiencing a bit of a transitional period...though...in the past what made the Illithid my Enemy...was that they were the Enemy of All Peoples....because they stripped away Choice....Choice being that which makes People who they are."

Vansa's lack of interest was mad audible as she released an over exaggerated sigh.

Now.....if I was to accept your offer.....I would be.....in a sense making my final choice......the choice to no longer be a Person. It is rather anthem to all I have decided to be. As I have said though.....I am in a transitional period...perhaps in a Ride or Several I will feel radically different about the matter."

The chances were comparable to those of Kal and Sarenna sharing a happy ever after.

"You think choosing to be with me will deprive you of who you are,is that it?"

Vale slowly shook his head in an effort to make arguing semantics seem more important then it was.
"No.....it would deprive me from becoming who I could be......much as it has you."

The Vampire of unknown years, was unimpressed.
"Tomayto....Tomahto.....Think on this instead, choosing not to be with me....may deprive many you know of the chance to be who they could be."

That was rather on the nose and what little patience Vale had entered this discourse with was waning fast, best to send Vansa away with something to brood about for a time.

"If we are exchanging thought exercises.....what I wanted to share earlier was a theory I heard spoken....that Vanrak wants you to find a Second......because you have become unwieldy in your independence.....and he wants someone younger to take your place."

Vansa's response was to bare her fangs in a truly wicked grin as she stood from her seat and placed a hand upon the table as if claiming domain. Nipsy recoiled a fraction of an inch away, and Vale did his best to remain calm and collected as he rebuked her display with dismissive words.

"I am willing to provide you time to mull it over......I will likely be out of town for a time as it is."

It was the unyielding demand for the last word that made Vale suspect that perhaps what became Vansa's obsession in undeath was nothing other then the desire for attention.

"You.....Understand Nothing."

Vale was not going to argue with her as she stalked away through the crowd, and Nipsy carefully returned the pin to his grenade. There was little and less that Vale Knew, and when he looked down to his plate to decide his next bite, he found the leafy greens and remaining venison home to a host of maggots.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

The tea was stronger then he preferred, yet Vale endured. He set his cup aside and placed a hand over his heart and pressed the fabric of his robes tight to his chest to feel the engraving that was concealed upon their interior pressed to his flesh. Much like the Unbroken Circles, the Adventurer's Guild, or the face of a friend, there was no need to study such because he knew what was there. Yet there was comfort in revisiting the familiar, comfort in confirming the known. Vale pressed the engraving within his robes tighter to his chest and smiled.

"May your Years be Long,
Yer Woes Few and Distant,
Yer Wards secure,
and yer Spirit at Peace."

Vale's thoughts turned to the Mithal that his robes were laced with, and the journey the metal had taken in the time that he had known it. From within Chauntea Crypt a band of Adventurers recovered a full suit of Mithal Platemail, a prize that was claimed by the Necromancer Zylai'a. It was not public knowledge at the time Zylai'a was in truth a Necromancer and devout to Shar and Velsharoon, but after she passing the truth became known. In addition to her secrets becoming shared, Kal who had access to Zylai'a's personal effects looked to make a profit from such and in a trade sold to Doctor Luther Von Mufflebop, the Mithal Armor.

The good Doctor then further invested in having the Armor melted down. From his efforts a single solid bar of Mithal was preserved, and it was gifted to the Warrior Takashi so that he may use it to not only challenge his capabilities as a Swordmaker, but so that through his efforts he may produce a blade without peer.

The smile that Vale had been wearing had since faded as his thoughts turned to the passing of his former mentors and friends. After their passing the Bar of Mithal had lost purpose. The Mithal retained all of the potential it had, but without purpose, it lingered untouched for a season. On occasion Vale would remove the Mithal bar from storage and let his gaze linger upon the brilliant metal, and run his fingers across it's cool smooth surface. It was a reminder of his friends and mentors. Vale would indulge in the thought exercise of imagining what could have been if they had not passed when they had. What would have Takashi's Blade have been if he had lived long enough to see it forged?

As the Winter grew colder, and the confrontation against the Demon of Yule Tide approached, Vale withdrew the Mithal Bar from storage one last time. Silently he swore to his old friends that he would not see the potential of such squandered.

Through honest toil and dwarven skills that had been developed tirelessly over his many years, Talmund Raladin Thunderbeard forged the Mithal into a fine lattice work mesh and layered it carefully in between the layers of Vale's Robes. The task was done methodically and with meticulous precision. In the end the robes the Talmund provided Vale were without peer. Wearing them, Vale felt the pride of knowing he was the finest sword the Warrior Takashi had ever forged.

With an ideal smile upon his face Vale reached for his tea cup and lifted it to his lips only to find and remember it was empty. With a small shake of his head he tried to focus his thoughts to the matters at hand. Time to face the questions and concerns he had been actively finding excuses and distractions to keep them warded away.

There was no beginning in which to start from and so Vale turned his mind to instead working upon that which had disturbed him the most. The One of Gith's claim that Zerthimon was an Illithid weapon used to divide the First People and allow the Illithid to avoid extinction. Not only did the claim carry weight, but evidence suggested that in a time before Vale remembered he to Knew this to be true. The severity of the claim and the implications of such were enough to have shook Vale to his core. The foundation and framework from which he had built his perception of existence and the choices that made him who he was were perhaps guided by a most insidious Illithid lie.

"Better the heartfelt devotion of a free soul than the grudging obedience of a slave."

It was a common Githzeari saying, one that spoke of a culture truly devoted to individual freedoms. If seen through different lens, one which Knew Zerthimon as an agent of the Illithid, and that Illithid were capable of manipulations much farther reaching then psionic abilities. The argument could be made that the Proclamation of Two Skies was very much so an Illithid effort to forever hamstring the First People through division. The manipulations of the Illithid were not limited to the reach of their Psionics, in truth the true threat they posed to All People of All Worlds were their ability to alter and subvert Cultures and People, maneuvering them subtlety into cattle pens of their own making.

Vale slowly shook his head and busied his hands with setting another pot of water to boil. The potential was there, the math worked out, Vale could see how Zerthimon was an Illithid Agent used to divide the First People...it though did not feel right on an instinctual level. Was that just his bias working against the evidence he was presented with? Reading the Unbroken Circles, depending upon the lens in which they were studied could present near uncounted lessons and reveal numerous variations of Truth.

Perhaps it came down to the difference between Belief and Knowledge?

One could truly hold false beliefs.
Belief did not require evidence, verification, study, nor understanding.
What one believed worked to determine the way in which they interacted with the multiverse, but very rarely did one's beliefs govern how the multiverse would interact with the individual.

Knowledge though was different.
Knowledge was not determined by opinions or bias, it was not a matter of faith.
Knowledge was not how one imagined things to be, but from how things truly were.
Knowledge was knowing not only how one may interact with the multiverse, but how the multiverse would respond in turn.

It was a common mistake of the population of Waterdeep to speak of their opinions and beliefs as if they were Knowledge, it had been a bit of burr in Vale's heel since arriving to the City. Had his time here, and exposure to such facilitated his loosing sight of which is which?

He shook his head and removed the water from the fire to pour himself a cup for tea. He had allowed himself once more to wander off into the weeds instead of facing the concerns before him.

Was Zerthimon an Illithid Agent?

Vale did not Know.....Vale did not Know if Zerthimon was or was not. In truth, Vale did not Know if there ever was a Zerthimon. It was accepted widely amoungst those familiar with the history of the First People that Zerthimon very much so did exist and live during the time of the Rising, that though was not the same as Knowing. Upon deeper reflection Vale was uncertain if it truly mattered.

The Unbroken Circles were a Map, they were not the terrain.

They had served him as a guide through life when he had no other.

Through study and reflection upon such, he had learned that so long as life endures, life can be lived.

Through the Circles Vale had learned of great dangers, as well as means and methods of mitigating them as he maneuvered through life.

The Unbroken Circles, served Vale as not only a guide, but as inspiration to become independent, responsible, practical, and to strive to see things for what they are.

It was not a matter of belief, Vale Knew, the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon had served him well.

No different then the Mithal that was worn by a Necromancer, sold for profit by a Thief, Melted down by a Doctor, and reforged by a Friend.

Vale sprinkled some herbs into his cup. With a small circular motion of his hand he got the heated water swirling. It was not necessary to see the flavor of the herbs infused through out the water, but it was a means of working off the nervous energy he seemed to have an excessive amount of in recent days. He took a deep breath and set the cup aside, and placed his hands on his lap, and forced himself to be still.

Now, with his accepting that he does not Know the truth of the Githyanki's claims, and Knowing the Unbroken Circles have served him well regardless of them, Vale had choices before him that needed to be made.

Vanarak's Agent informed Vale of the Karach Blade's presence in the region.
Vansa spoke of Vale's Tale and it's untruth as if she knew it.

Who Vale decided to be, was not reliant upon Who Vale was....yet it would be irresponsible of him to remain willfully ignorant.

If anything Vale strongly suspect the missing years held horrors that his life would be easier lived without knowing.

Regardless though, Vale was making the conscious choice to live his life responsibly, and he Knew perception is that which guides our choices. The capability to make choices, and the the choice to accept responsablity for such or not are what separated People from Cattle.

It would be negligent of him to intentionally remain willfully ignorant of his past now that there existed opportunities to learn of it, regardless of how difficult the efforts maybe to learn of those years or what burden they may impose upon him. Which he realized was a selfish first concern.

The people of Waterdeep were being made the victims of Vansa, and of the Vampire legion that served Vansa. Even in his thoughts he took care to refer to Vansa by name and not to assign a gender, for Vansa was Undeath, no longer of the living, no longer a Person...Vansa was dead flesh made animated through Necrotic forces and driven by a single minded obsession. Why was it so important to remember that?

"Yet the flesh was new to the People and with it, the People came not to know themselves. The flesh gave rise to new thoughts. "
Reign of Anger
The First Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon

Vale took a drink of his tea, and nodded to himself as he swallowed. The Vampires and Vanrak were a blight upon the People, and they had Answers he would have.

It was time he returned to the City and made an effort to do what he could there for himself and others. While he was there perhaps Aglorus would indulge his curiosity and provide a through medical exam in search for that which his Flesh Remembers that his Mind has forgot.

Vale took another sip of tea, and then ran his tongue over his teeth. The thought of uncounted Zerths having turned away from the teachings of the Unbroken Circles of Zerthimon and joined themselves to the efforts of the Githyanki did not sit well inside of him. That though for now remained outside the reach of his influence, and in truth he was unsure what if anything he should do about such if he could.

The time to hesitate was through, he needed to knuckle down and focus on what he could do. He would return to the City and work with those he could to see the threat of Vansa removed, in doing so he would keep mindful of what evidence of his lost years maybe found.

Vale poured out what tea remained in his cup, and Knew Aglorus was going to say something needless cutting in the medical exam to come.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

The positioning of his arms was painful, and Vale endured. It was physically possible that he had himself placed the cryptic tattoo upon his own head. The process would have been extremely painful and perhaps that explained the quality of the work. He could not help but recall the opinion of the sailor who had seen it.

"That's the worst fucking tattoo I've ever seen. I'm going to guess it was done by a one-eyed drunk geriatric hooker. Were it me, that'd have been a cock on your forehead instead."

Vale lowered his arms from the awkward position and slowly rolled his shoulders to release the burning that had built up in his joints. Aglorus had suggested perhaps the Tattoo was meant to be a reminder. Aglorus also made the jest that he would have have chosen one less cryptic.

With that in mind, why would he have hidden a tattoo where it would be difficult to find and of such a cryptic manner? Perhaps the goal was for the Tattoo to not be discovered unless it was searched for? Perhaps, the tattoo once found was not intended to provide an answer, but to provoke thought and further questioning?

The Map is not the Terrain...Sometimes the Journey is the Destination?

What can change the Nature of a Man?

The very question lead Vale to ask, What is the Nature of a Man?

Nature implied the the wild and untamed, that which has not been cultivated or manipulated by the hands of Man. Vale listened to one opinion that the Nature of Man was made part of Man by the Gods, and such was inherently Good and could not be changed. Vale heard it said that where Evil existed it was born from the confusion and misunderstanding of Man living against the grain of his Nature.

Vale wanted to believe that all People had the Potential to be Good. Vale accepted that he Knew that all People had the Potential to be Good. Vale though did not believe all People were inherently Good by virtue of a divinely granted unchangeable Nature....not only did he not believe it, Vale sincerely doubted such a claim.

Aglorus suggested the Nature of a Man was What constitutes him and his beliefs, morals and ethics.

Vale was inclined to agree with him, though now in reflection, perhaps the Nature of Man was not those things that may influence his choices, but simply the ability to make a Choice.

Could it be the very Nature of Man was the ability to choose?

Would that make, that which can change the Nature of Man, anything that influenced those Choices?

Vale did not Know.
There was much and more Vale did not Know, and some days it appeared the more he learned the less he Knew.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

It was clear that the conversation they would share was more then a brief exchange made in passing and Vale lead her inside the Guild Hall. He took it as a small blessing that she followed without protest. Previously she had stated there was no need to speak any where other then the street, and Mistress Gardnier had a history of fighting hard to maintain the illusions she wrapped about herself. The truth of the matter was there were Vampires actively threatening both of them, she was frightened, and he had no interest in taking needless risks to protect her unneeded mask. Once inside She began.

"Where was I? Oh, yes. Finding a humble nature."

The smile that the sight of Bran had previously planted upon her face began to fade as she continued.

"Words can divide, as I said, but they can also heal. I use them daily to do just that, calling on the power of Oghma to experience a wound in the moment, and channel life flow to what must be done. I know that this is something that I could have expressed better, in past."

She had in the past claimed to be a knowledgeable and capable practitioner of Medicine. Faith healing and Medicine were not the same. She knew it, He knew it, and they both knew that this was the closest she would come to admitting or apologizing for deceiving Vale. If she would simply refocus the efforts she makes to present herself as honest and rational, and instead use them to be honest and rational, there would be alot less conflict between them. That though was not something he believed she could hear him say without the conversation devolving into another of her misguided self righteous furies of indignation. So Vale simply remained silent and listening.

"I have found my peace with Aglorus, and others."

No you have not Clarianna. You may have exchanged words that ended in a friendly appearing manner, but until you are honest with yourself and discard the pretense you wrap yourself in like a cloak of protection, you will never know peace.

"I....would like to find that with you, as well. You were one of the first people I met upon coming to Waterdeep, and that is one reason to do so. But...more to the point, I cannot countenance division that can be healed."

Countenance? With a small shake of his head he asked Clarianna her meaning and confessed he did not understand.

"Hmmm....Can Not Countenance Division....that can be healed? I do not understand your meaning."

She was perhaps not expecting the questioned and briefly continued on until her mind realized he had interupted the words she had already prepared.

"I suspect you do not realize that your words were hurtful that day we met, and struck me as crude. I suspect I do not realize what you had been through, as those days seemed fraught with events that I find even now hard to arrange in order in my mind... Oh. I am sorry. I don't mean to run over your question with my own words.

Vale shrugged with indifference to the offense and the apology. He was not offended, no apology was needed. All he wanted was to understand.

"Not countenance a division I can heal.... perhaps that is too self-important. Again. Maybe I can't heal it alone. But I can offer to. "

Seeing that she reused the word he was confused about in an identical manner, he decided to ignore it and continue along with what he did understand her intent to be. With his right hand open and flat he slowly gestured between them and asked.

"You want to.....see the rift between....you and I mended?"

She replied with more words then she needed, in an effort to dress her desire for alliance for practical reasons in drapery a lost friendship that never existed.

"It is possible that you and I are too different to ever find friendship again, or even ease in each other's company, but I would like to be allies once more."

He wanted to shake his head and correct her, but instead simply nodded along slow to let Clarianna know he acknowledged her.

" I respect you as a leader and a warrior, Vale. I have seen you fight evil and know that we share at least an opposition to things that would harm lives and innocents."

Perhaps she did respect him as a leader? She had been formal with him when he was the Guild Leader, though even then she wielded formality like it was a weapon, she used it to put upon false airs of respect while not once actually doing anything other then what her whims desired. Perhaps what she meant was she would prefer to have him between herself and danger? He had made several efforts to lead her and always she rebuked him. Without much excitement or hope he thought to ask her an honest question to see if perhaps she would answer such in turn.

"Would you share with me.....how this rift came to be?"

Vale watched her knit her brow. Was it because she was conflicted? Was she struggling with herself to be honest? Perhaps she might speak true.

" I can't answer that."

It was for the best he did not get his hopes up, she refused to admit to him the truth, perhaps not even to herself. Instead she prattled on about everything but the truth.

"There were times I felt that your words were cutting, deliberately so. There were times I felt your words were strangely....interested in my relationship with Adam."

Vale watched as her eyes wavered, as if the uncertain was going to perhaps break her resolve to maintain her illusions of righteousness. No....the lie was to deeply invested in, and she refused to stop further investing in the nonsense of it, and with her chin lifted and her features determined she continued.

"Then when you and Nipsy stopped by, I was hurt by your insults."

Vale slowly and simply nodded in an effort to urge her along.

"Whether or not you meant them as such, that is how I experienced them."

Vale nodded once more as Clarianna folded her hands in front of herself like a proper and upright lady of culture and learning. Vale took the display to imply it was perhaps his turn to speak of the possibilities of developing a right proper friendship in which the pair of them may sit in high back chairs sipping tea and discussing tomes they had read but did not understand in words large enough to hide the lies within. He though was not interested, and instead asked if she would be willing to hear him say what he would.

"Would you allow me a few moments of your time to share....words expressing to you my perspective.....even though they might be unenjoyable or even....insulting to yourself?"

Vale watched her wince with the anticipation of the blow to come, and sigh with defeat in knowing she had asked for such herself. Clarianna though then did agree politely to the terms he had set forth.

"Yes, of course."

He made a careful effort to be as clear, he wanted to be as honest with her as he was being with himself. She was his greatest failure as the Leader of the Adventurer's Guild. Her arrival summoned the teachings of the Fifth Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon to his mind. In her he found inspiration to be the best leader he could be, and inspire within her to be all that she could be, and in time pass the proverbial torch so she may do the same for others and the Guild.

The Power of One
"Zerthimon was the first to know the way of freedom. Yet it was not he that first came to know the way of rebellion."

"The knowing of rebellion came to the warrior-queen Gith, one of the People. She had served the illithids upon many of the False Worlds as a soldier, and she had come to know war and carried it in her heart. She had come to know how others might be organized to subjugate others. She knew the paths of power, and she knew the art of taking from the conquerors the weapons by which they could be defeated. Her mind was focused, and both her will and her blade were as one."

"The turning in which Zerthimon came to know Gith, Zerthimon ceased to know himself. Her words were as fires lit in the hearts of all who heard her. In hearing her words, he wished to *know* war. He knew not what afflicted him, but he knew he wished to join his blade to Gith. He wished to give his hate expression and share his pain with the illithid."

"Gith was one of the People, but her knowing of herself was greater than any Zerthimon had ever encountered. She knew the ways of flesh, she knew the illithids and in knowing herself, she was to know how to defeat them in battle. The strength of her knowing was so great, that all those that walked her path came to know themselves."

"Gith was but one. Her strength was such that it caused others to know their strength. And Zerthimon laid his steel at her feet."

"I....I do not Know what you truly want.....I can not see into your Mind and Heart......I though from my perspective saw within you the potential to in time become the leader of this Adventurer's Guild....I saw in you the potential to elevate this establishment, which in turn elevates others to new heights of education, understanding, and prowess.......because of this......perhaps I was to strict with you....or perhaps to lax?"

As Clarinna wringed her folded hands and uncertainty developed in her eyes, Vale continued.

" It appeared to myself that you made a very sincere effort to deny the obvious truth I saw in your potential......you appear to have invested in actively thwarting it......at first you would not join the Guild.....Then when you did....you refused to be trained or educated by it's staff and senior members....instead insisting your lover more then capable and your preferred choice of a mentor and instructor."

Clarinna's lips mad a thin hard line.

" I may....be mistake though I do recall you either implied or out right stated that he could run this establishment or any other as well or better then anyone else. What I saw in you......I still see......you have the potential........I though feel I failed you in not aiding in helping see that potential manifest......That and myself recently having to question that which I belief have believed true.....I lost my patience with your self deceptions, and your walls of pretense and priority.......I came to you seeking help......and I needed it."

He had been seeking a surgeon, he had wanted someone to give him a through medical examine and he had told her such, and she had offered her aid.

"Now I did come to you for help you were not qualified to provide.....misunderstanding that......though......What insults I have hurled your way......Know that those were intended as intentionally aimed buckets of cold water to wake you from your sleep walking."

"Is it my responsibility to try and get you to pull your well pinned head from your bottom forge? No it is not......I though had....have to much respect for you to not have made the effort....politely at first, and eventually with cruel barbs. I maybe wrong.....history has proven I am more then capable of it......I though suspect what rift exists between us has less to do with what crude words I have used, and more with you not wanting admit I might be right."

"You are not my enemy Clarianna Gardner.....never have been."

With her arms crossed and the fury plain to see upon her face, Vale gestured to her that it was her turn to reply, and she did.

" You are insufferable in your arrogance, Vale Clearwaters. That you would think to judge me, without knowing of my past. It is as hard to bear as my judging you for not living up to my expectations. The propriety you speak of? It was hard won, from a childhood in the mud and filth of a woman who bore me between the roots of a tree and went back out to whore herself. "

Clarinna's chest began to heave as her breath quickened and her rage flared.

" The insults you believe are tutelary? I heard them daily, directed at her and at me, from a man ....a man I do not care to recall. That you would come in and insult me ... It was reminiscent of days I have worked very hard to rise from. It was perhaps worse that you were and are someone I respect. My employer and one I looked up to I do wish to be allies, for allies are what we need these days. And I will aid you in any way I can, in pursuit of Vansa or anything evil But do not speak to me of teaching me a lesson, when what that means to me is very different than what you no doubt intended."

She crossed her arms in a defensive gesture as if to imply Vale could not hurt her. It was likely true he could not hurt her worse then she was hurting herself with her inability to let go of the pains of her past or the false pretenses she wore as ineffective armor against them. Then with the zeal of a true thoughtless believer she spoke the word favored by all those short sighted and quick to swear an oath.

"that is all I have to say on that subject. Ever."

Vale looked her over. He made a study of the emotional wreckage that stood before him, of the woman who would lash out at him because it was easier then daring to look inside herself.

" If you will accept my aid, I gladly offer it."

With that she slowly regained her composure, the color slowly fading from her cheeks. Vale was curious what about his words had her so aghast.

"What insult was it that I have spoken or made happen that has you so riled? I suspect there is.....a very serious misunderstanding between you and I..... I would have that cleared......because otherwise I suspect even an alliance maybe difficult to maintain."

With a visable expression of disbelief she lashed out once more.

"You have called me stupid and a coward. You just now reiterated talking points that cast me in a poor light. If you cannot hear yourself, then there is no sense in my repeating them."

Clarianna was right, there was no sense in beating a dead horse, if she would not admit to herself that she had behaved in a cowardly manner, made some poor life choices, and had even spoken mistruths to make herself appear more knowledgeable and capable then she was, then that lie was her burden to bare by choice. Still though, he would not apologize for being honest with her.

"Clarianna Gardner........what I have said, I have shared because I believe it to be true.......I suspect you have been working against yourself.....and if you were to cease such you have the a greater potential then most others. If that.....is truly so offensive......I would only suggest you make an effort to ask yourself why such is so. I will take my leave unless you have something more to say or share."

Once more she insisted upon lashing out at him, instead of daring to think through what he had shared and perhaps dare and beware with a moment of honest introspection.

"That you think yourself qualified to adjudge such things about me, or anybody, says that we will never be friends. I am sorry for that. I will however, fight for the things we both believe in.... And I know that any group opposing Vansa is the stronger for you being part of it. I will not try for the last word. I am sorry, again, to have interrupted you."

In that all he heard was that she was willing to abandon any pretense of friendship with him so long as he was willing to help her fight the battles she wanted the fight. The battle against obvious evils that when won, made it easier to excuse the quality of person you were, because compared to them you are not so bad. Then in traditional Mistress Gardener fashion, she offered the curtsy of the last word to him as a means of elevating herself to some imagination station of civility that was as meaningless as it was nonexistent.

"Clarianna Gardner......it does not require some special insight that only I possess to see the things I claim to see......the only thing unique about my perspective.....is that I am more interested in being honest with you then I am being your friend..... Because.....I Respect you as a person."

"You have never been my enemy Clarianna Gardner.....may you Dare and Beware, both here and there."

With a small gesture indicating the head and the heart, he left her to wrestle her own demons, real and imagined. Vale had his own questions to answer, his own truths to find. He was in no position to inspire her to greatness, despite having lite a fire in her heart.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Thoughts of the pronouncement of two skies had eaten away at edges of his mind for Rides, and Vale turned to face them.

Sixth Circle of Zerthimon the Pronouncement of Two Skies

Upon the Blasted Plains, Zerthimon told Gith there cannot be two skies. In the wake of his words, came war.

So it came to pass that the People had achieved victory over their illithid masters. They knew freedom. Yet before the green fires had died from the battlefield, Gith spoke of continuing the war. Many, still filled with the bloodlust in their hearts, agreed with her. She spoke of not merely defeating the illithids, but destroying all illithids across the Planes. After the illithids had been exterminated, they would bring war to all other races they encountered.

In Gith's heart, fires raged. She lived in war, and in war, she knew herself. All that her eyes saw, she wanted to conquer.

Zerthimon spoke the beginnings of that which was against Gith's will. He spoke that the People already knew freedom. Now they should know themselves again and mend the damage that had been done to the People. Behind his words were many other hearts of the People who were weary of the war against the illithid.

Know that Gith's heart was not Zerthimon's heart on this matter. She said that the war would continue. The illithid would be destroyed. Their flesh would be no more. Then the People would claim the False Worlds as their own. Gith told Zerthimon that they would be under the same sky in this matter. The words were like bared steel.

From Zerthimon came the Pronouncement of Two Skies. In the wake of his words came war.

The thrill of combat had always been a indulgence he had made an effort to not lose himself to. Vale had structured himself and his life to live apart from the other temptations of the flesh. He did not imbibe strong drink, or partake of delicious meals, he did not take his rest in the comforts of a bed. In doing so he lived untempted by spirits, gluttony, and sloth. Vale did not seek out physical intimacy, and in it's absence he was not tempted to fulfill such urges. He made an effort to live in a practical and frugal manner, wealth and comforts were never much of a temptation.

The rush of battle though, that which made the heart race, and the mind focus keen, that was a temptation that he knew well, for often violence was present in his life. Vale knew of no means or method of being a defender of the people against those that would threaten them, that were without violence.

Violence, combat, and battle he knew well and applied where he believed they were needed to stop the efforts of threats to people and it would be dishonest to claim he did not enjoy such. The thrill of battle was one of the strongest emotions of the flesh, and it was one Vale struggled against with regularity.

It was an almost ever present temptation. In battle he made a sincere effort to not give into blood lust, to not over extend and become mindless to the thrill of combat. Outside of such he made an effort to not always and immediately resort to violence as a means of settling disputes and disagreements.

For years Vale had believed, he had Known, the Pronouncement of Two Skies was Zerthimon's effort to see the First People not lose themselves to the blood lust of endless war, and effort to see them safeguarded against the greed that is bred from an insatiable desire for conquest.

Now he no longer Knew what he believed or Knew.

After being confronted with word that Zerthimon was a servant of the Illithid who made the Pronouncement of Two Skies to divide the First People and allow the illithid to escape, and having been informed he himself had Known such to be true....Vale was at a loss.

It was as if his life was a Lance Board colored Black and White. He had moved across it carefully and methodical keeping his feet to the white for he had Known to tread within the Black would cause needless harm and suffering to others. Here he stood in the center of the board, no longer knowing the difference between the two choices, no longer being able to tell which was black or white, no longer able to know which step might be a boon or a burden to himself and others. The conflict within him to make sense of it was paralyzing to the point there existed the temptation to abandon the effort to understand and simply advance ignorant and uncaring.

The length and width of the Lanceboard though were the same dimensions of his lifetime, and the consequences of his foot falls could effect farther then his limited perception and beyond his capacity for understanding. It was his responsablity to Know, and he did not know how to.

This conflict of doubt and his sense of responsibility are what crippled him to paralysis. How could he advance unaware of which steps to take or which direction to take them in?

He was lost. The compass of the Unbroken Circles maybe a lie. He had no Map to follow. To simple choose a direction was reckless, to remain stationary was to dwell in doubt, and in time harvest the madness of stagnation.

He did not know where he had been, and he did not know where he was going.

Vale made an effort to strip away all of the questions he could not answer, and focus on what he did Know.
Last edited by jmecha on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

Vale knew there was much and more he did not know.

He did not know his own past.
He did not know his future.

He did not know if Zerthimon was an agent of the Illithid.
He did not know what to make of the Unbroken Circles.

What he did Know though was that if you stripped away yesterday, and tomorrow, if you ignored the lessons of others and focused solely upon yourself, there one could find something.

You could determine who you are right here and now, and by doing so you may have one perch of stablity in the otherwise every changing chaos of existence.

Kneeling upon the hardwood floor with his eyes closed, Vale worked to ignore the sounds of the city and focus inward.

Who am I?

Vale Clearwaters.

Is that the truth?

I do not know.

Who are you?

I am who I am.

What does that mean?

Regardless of the years remembered or forgotten, regardless of names used here or there, I am who I am now, in this moment.

What is it you would do with who you are?

I would help those I could, where I can.
I would seek oppertunities to learn and grow.

Why these things?

Doing so gives me a sense of fulfillment.
Aiding others, provides a meaningful challenge to my life.
Self improvement, knowledge, power, such allows me to do more for others then otherwise.

Why do you feel this need for fulfillment and meaning, has your life been lived so blandly that existence itself is not reward enough for you?

Is not each breath enough?
Is not the smell of the flowers reason enough to be?
Is not the sun upon your face reward enough for you?

Why have you lived your life hiding from it's pleasures and rewards?

Has living without song and dance, without love and warmth, has living without a life of your own to enjoy, made the lives of others more meaningful to you then your own?

I do not know.

Have all of your heroics, gesturing and posturing been nothing more then an effort to protect yourself from living a full and meaningful life?

Is self sacrifice for others even a sacrfice, or an indulgence, if the truth is you have nothing to lose and living your life for others is the only sense of meaningful reward in your otherwise bland and featureless existence?

Vale exhaled with audible defeat and slowly rose to his feet.