Sweetbread

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
joshmad75
Shambling Zombie

Sweetbread

Post by joshmad75 »

The coals of the brick oven cast a broad orange glow upon the kitchen. Gwennie busied at the table lit by flickering lamplight. Crockery and ingredients were laid about, the lady hin's hands pinched and scooped and weighed. Flour, eggs, dark sugar, goat's milk, baker's dust, raisins. Four loaves in all. One for herself, one for the Warrens' market, and two for her bigfolk friends in the Safehaven Inn. Adventurers both, Juan the diviner and Korsan the.. vermin killer? More to him than that, she knew. The elf was strong and generous. The half-orc honest and true.

"I've made unlikely friends." She mused, pulling the stopper from a tiny jar of cinnamon. She had imagined finding friends with other hin in the Adventurer's Quarter, but those she did encounter glanced at her kit, spoke traditional greetings, then hurried about their city business.

"Calamity upon the Warrens. You will be tested." She brooded, lifting the vial of vanilla to her nose before turning several drops into each batch of dough. The diviner interpreted the card she chose. The Warrens were hers to lead, in cooperation with the few gnomish priests present and rumored to be present. She officiated weddings, taught school, and hosted Safeday feasts for the community. "Now am I more a sentinel?" Two loaves done and now two into the oven. The sweet aroma of fresh raisin sweetbread filled the room.

" 'Better to be a soldier in the kitchen than a cook in a battle.' Was that the old saying?" She was a better baker than warrior she knew. "Mother help me."
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Sweetbread

Post by jmecha »

Well done.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

*claps*

I will rain down thunderous applause calling for an encore if this means you are back in game after your sabbatical, Josh! :D
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Post by Akivaria »

I haven't seen Gwennie in forever. Thought you might have quit the server.

Good stuff!
"This is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

Current PC: Alora Tuffet-Hopper, foul-mouthed and irreverent bard