Captain's Log - Jackman Hull

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Captain's Log - Jackman Hull

Post by Cleasor »

Captain’s Log – Eighteen Tarsakh, Year of the Secret. Ship’s Captain Jackman Hull reporting. After many days ‘o hard labor, the caravel is ready fer sea. ‘Er hull ‘been scraped ‘o barnacles, ‘er deck ‘been scrubbed and a few lines and sheets ‘been replaced. ‘Er sails are in good order. ‘Er stores are full. All I need now is to christen ‘er and find me a reliable crew. I’ve decided to call ‘er The Maidenhead. Me mates gathered at the docks and we uncorked bottles of vintage ale. With prayers to appease The Bitch Queen while at sea, plead for the favors of The Princess of Passion while in port, and request the fortunes of the Lady 'o Luck, we drank and smashed ‘em against her bow. May she always have fair winds and followin’ seas. ‘Er maiden voyage was a sunrise cruise just off of Waterdeep. It was a beautiful mornin' with clear skies and calm seas. Our prayers were heard that day! We tossed coin over the rail fer the Bitch, and cast our gaze on the horizon. There we spied a mermaid bein' chased by lizardmen! Keryn fell off to port while Marisha and Zylai'a hauled in the sheets to tighten the sails. As we approached, the mermaid jumped aboard with 'er chasers right behind. We were boarded on our maiden voyage! Arryn, Kalo and Gus made short work of the lizardmen on deck. We 'eard some rumblin' below and headed down into the hold. More creatures of the sea had made their way in! It was a tight and confusing battle where a few 'o us took some lumps but we slew or chased them from the ship. Kalindra the mermaid was grateful but warned us of the lizardmen's threat off the coast. With a warm (and a little slimy) kiss and embrace, she slipped o'er the rail and was gone.

We sailed back into port and me sang the followin’ song to inspire the crew:

One, two, three and a courter
I’ve got a date with the Magistrar’s daughter
One, two, three and a rhyme
I told ‘em I’d have ‘er home by nine

Even though she looks a child
Man, oh man that girl is wild
But that Magistrar, he’s a sucker!
He don’t know I’m gonna *deliberate pause* kiss ‘er

Three months later and all was well
But four months later she began to swell
9 months later and out ‘e came
A baby sailor bearin’ me name!

Magistrar said with a big ‘o grin, be a good daddy or you be in prison again.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Captain's Log - Jackman Hull

Post by Cleasor »

Captain’s Log – Four Mirtul, Year of the Secret. Ship’s Captain Jackman Hull reporting. Me on a reconnaissance voyage to determine our newest enemy’s numbers. It’s a clear day but me don’t get the Maidenhead ready fer sail until noon. I use the aft sail to slip ‘er from the docks, raise the main once clear, and steer to port to make course fer the South Sea Wall. Me take 7 gold coins from me purse and toss ‘em over the rail for the Bitch. I pray to keep the weather and ‘er minions at bay. But the number 7 is fer me Lady ‘o Luck! May ‘er Fortune shine upon this voyage. Approaching the first set of fortifications ((Area 4P)), me spy a fair amount of movement in the inner harbor off the wall in the marshes. A gentle fog has rolled in and me able to slip inside and use ‘er fer cover. I can make out lizardmen and yuan-ti! They appear to be diggin’. Can hear their scrapin’ and scratchin’ out ‘ere! Me sail west ((Area 4X)) and see much the same with activity and movement. But the fog isn’t as clear and can’t risk getting’ closer. Me make fer Smuggler’s Bane Tower ((Area 4C)) where it looks clear of any serpents. The guards are out ‘n about and wave their greetin’ as the Maidenhead slips out ‘o the harbor. Me jibe to the starboard and bring the west wind across the port rail. It’s a fine wind fer sailin’ north and sail along the coast. I start to notice more lizards on the shore ((Area 2W)). It’s too late and they notice me ship! A lizardman swims over and boards ‘er! Me hold ‘im to the main deck while me fight from above. He’s a tough fighter but the Lady is with me. A swift parry, duck and several cutlass thrusts and the bugger is sprawled dead on me deck. Me leap back up the stairs to the helm and get control of the ship. Me continue sailin’ north and see more ‘o ‘em. Some even in the water and usin’ it as cover. The buggers are comfortable and use the water with ease. Can’t figure out what else they are up to, however. There’s small movement along the remainder of the coast until the West Gate. The gate seems clear fer now with the normal traffic. The sun is settin’ in the west so it’s time to come about and make fer the harbor. Won’t see nothin’ on shore at night but the lights ‘o the city. But will keep me hidden from the buggers as me sail south. It’s a fair and fine sail back into the docks.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Captain's Log - Jackman Hull

Post by Cleasor »

Captain's Log - Summer Solstice, Year of the Secret. Was time to leave Waterdeep fer some days as Sandra Tesper's house guards were huntin' fer me. Decided to slip the Maidenhead out of 'er dock just before midnight and sailed 'er to the battle sight with dem lizards. Launched the dingy and rowed onto shore near the sea wall. Me found the bush and the disturbed dirt nearby. An hour 'o diggin' uncovered the chest. Me hauled it up with ropes and levers, then slid it back to the dingy and then back to me ship. A quiet sail back to south ward. Once docked, me had a better look at the chest. Fortunately was not locked and opened easily. Inside was a stash of contraband. Now was time to discuss this with Doxon.