Shield of Yondalla

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
joshmad75
Shambling Zombie

Shield of Yondalla

Post by joshmad75 »

He stared at the shield. Shadows cast by candlelight flickered across the image carved and painted on its face. A great goat's horn displayed as a container of bounty was intricately worked into the hardwood of the shield. The opening of the golden horn overflowed with apples, corn, daffodils, and white lilies. The ancient symbol of Yondalla, creator of the halflings.

He had seen this shield before. As a young man, in a painting back home in Gullykin. The scene on the canvas showed the chargers of a hin battle team, mounted on great black war dogs, armed with slings that shot bullets of silver. Leading the charge against goblin foes were several paladins, known as the Shields of Yondalla, and on their arms was the very shield that lay before him.

It is your shield. Be one. Defend, protect. Be generous.

A tenday ago, the shield appeared in his pack. No explanation. Now, Tegrin reverently straps it to his left forearm.

"Lord Arvoreen, guide my thoughts that my will be as strong and pure as silver flame. May my steps be always wary and my eyes be always vigilant. May my blade and words be true. For now and always, until the Black Hound guides my soul to Green Fields, to rest once again with my wife in Mount Celestia."

He spoke those halfling words solemnly as they came to him and when he opened his eyes, he knew he now bore the responsibility of paladinhood.
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Shield of Yondalla

Post by Peter_Abelard »

Very nice Josh thanks for posting!
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor
valn99
Owlbear

Re: Shield of Yondalla

Post by valn99 »

:)
Very cool
NWN1 PC:
Now (2017): Bran, naive servant of Lathander, currently thinking about opening a potion shop.
circa 2000: JenWa, proud mother duck and half-crazed sorceress of Shadowdale.

NW2 PC: Kasil Trueforger, dwarven scholar of Felbarr.

Garlus Ironbeard: [d] I was sure there was a reason we brought you along.
Kevorn Trueforger: [d] I'm da funny one and ye're da smart one.