Scribblings of a Halfling Spell Maven

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Scribblings of a Halfling Spell Maven

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

This first, is a letter left for her sister as she left the Ace of Wands on her way to the mainland for a tenday purchasing journey for supplies. Two pages, both held in a vellum binder, and ascribed on pages too fine for a simple note.
Samilla;

My beloved and most frustrating little sister. You know you are dear to me, and trusted more than anyone else in my life. I asked you to come stay with me in the capital because I saw in you the same thing I felt at your age, a need to see larger things.

Cade and Eldon have their work with uncle Tad at the brewery, and our twin flowers are too young to even think of asking mama to let leave home. I know, it sounds like you are the only one left, but that is not where I am taking this explanation. I mean, I love you all, but you are my Sammi. You are the one that I took into my confidences, you are the one I trust. If anything happens to me, I want you to have the shop. It’s been your home for a few years now, you have been my apprentice in the business long enough, junior partner.

You have been keeping the books, dealing with artisans and orders and all. You have proven you know what you are a capable partner. I regularly travel to the mainland for supplies in my work, the specialty work that I trained to accomplish. However; the work you do every day is what kept a roof over our heads when I was waylaid for more than a year. With this letter, as proof, if anything happens to me where I don’t come back or am proven to be expired, the Ace of Wands is yours.

I would suggest renting out the workshop if such things come to pass, or selling outright. The only thing I would absolutely ask that you not do, is attempt to follow my wandering feet around the world or into danger.

-- Isabelladonna Rosemyrtle Sproutleaf --
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Re: Scribblings of a Halfling Spell Maven

Below is the second letter, an official document, set with a seal, and signed with an arcane mark as well as a standard signature.
To Representatives of the Crown;

See this document set in my own hand as declaration of my will and intent; Samilla Analise Sproutleaf is hereby set into record as the primary heir of all property and holdings of my person, and my business registered in the city of Caer Callidyrr named in licenses as ‘The Ace of Wands, Emporium of Magical Accouterments’.

Samilla Analise Sproutleaf, blood of my blood, nearest kin, my sister younger by 27 seasons, is named as my partner, and representative in my absence for all concerns of the above stated licensed business. My confidence and trust lay in her judgement when my own is not available for consult. I Isabelladonna Rosemyrtle Sproutleaf also register miss Samilla as my apprentice to the arts, documents to this effect sent to the Circle of Mages.

By my hand,
-- Isabelladonna Rosemyrtle Sproutleaf --
Licensed by the Crown,
Registered by the Circle in the kingdom of the Moonshaes,
Registered among the Watchful Order of Waterdeep,
Graduate of the Lady’s College of Magic, SIlverymoon.

OOC Note; Samilla would have in the workshop a copy of Bellie’s full spellbook. However, at this time, she has only been taught cantrips and the most basic of ascribing skills. Would not be the equivalent of a level 1 wizard yet.
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

A book bound of paper, in leather cover marked with an arcane mark matching the symbol of the Ace of Wands signage. Otherwise, apparently blank but for an invisible arcane mark of Bel upon the cover. An arcane mark, that of the wizard Isabelladonna. Inside the cover, a short note:
If found, please convey to Ace of Wands Emporium of Magical Accoutrements, Caer Callidyrr, the capital city of the Moonshaes Kingdom. A reward of 25 gold crowns will be granted if shipped, and standard shipping fees may be deferred to the establishment. Hand delivered with news of the writer will be rewarded with 100 gold crowns.
-- Isabelladonna Rosemyrtle Sproutleaf, Proprietor --

P1
My dear Samilla;

I understand that the letters left for you when I went away on this most recent trip to gather supplies in Waterdeep are likely confusing you. First, is to let you know that I value your contribution to our livelihood. Sincerely, I could not keep the store without you. The second, is to see that you are able to claim what is yours, should something happen to me.

I have not been the best big sister. I am sure there has never been any doubt that I love you dear Sammi, though I have also many times in your life pushed you away and told you that you are a nuisance. Understand, there is no one I would trust more than you, and because of this, I write this journal for you.

First and foremost, this might be the only entry. And if that is the case, my sincerest apologies dear sister. For it is my fondest wish now, to impart to you my stories so that you may know not only the girl for whom you poured cider in the hair was commonplace, but also the woman and the wizard I am now.

I was inspired to make sure you were taken care for; as I was recently taken into confidence of those who fight for the Queen, and the lands of the Earth Mother. These are a group of individuals who like me, are not all perfect or pristine heroes of legend. These are not storybook heroes, of whom the bards will sing for generations. These are real people, with real pasts and many varied reasons for aiding our troubled lands.

I will tell you of them as I tell you of me, for I have met some of them in my past as I was becoming me. Others, I have only just met, or only just really been made aware of whom they really are in this world. I am certain you took notice of the red haired woman in the shop the other day, Camellia they say her name is.. And yes dear sister, she did have horns atop her head.

Camellia was introduced to me briefly while we were meeting as a group, and her theories on our problems were spoken of.. It was so many faces and voices, all the while the child in the other room had most of my attention. I did not realize she was any different until she revealed herself in our shop, in full view and in your presence. She forced you to deal with that knowledge as much as any of us. I have nothing but respect for the aplomb with which you dealt with such a surprising revelation. I do not expect for you to trust the girl, as I am uncertain if I do without the others. I however do not have any choice but to accept her as a companion, as I have accepted my small part in the outcomes of the battle of wills taking part in our homeland. I am a tool of the Earthmother, and will be as sharp and useful as I may make myself.

- Bel -
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Very nice VS. I find it interesting that the day after you travel to WD with Layla you post your last will & testament. It wasn't THAT bad ... lol
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

((Thank you for the mention VS, it was very kind of you))
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Mikayla wrote:Very nice VS. I find it interesting that the day after you travel to WD with Layla you post your last will & testament. It wasn't THAT bad ... lol
Funny, but actually, the document was being written in response to having a Tiefling in store, after seeing the real dangers before us. A godchild/avatar, giant dire monsters, and the stone knocking on my skull. Bel is worried that she may not survive all this, and wishes to ensure her sister is not left in a lurch, again.

She feels guilty about disappearing, she has just returned. She would prefer if something like this happened again, that she come home to find her sister as owner, or shop sold and sister owning a nice little house than seeing the business shuttered and sister working as a tavern cook or something.

Timing was coincidental, though the journal entry does have a little do to with the boat ride, as it would have been written during that trip.
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

P2
My dear Samilla

Years ago, when you were but 11, a man named Zuul, his family and other adventurers had come to our home. Caer Corwell was host to them, but they visited Lowhill and you met them. They went to Sam and Sami’s shop to buy supplies, where he and I met. Zuul was not the first boy I kissed, but he was the first one I wanted to keep kissing. He was so different than anyone in Lowhill.

Zuul is the one that taught me first about real Magic. He gave me a real spellbook. Just like the ones we prepare and sell upon our shelves. He helped me to understand my first simple spells, and eventually more. I am sure you remember all those things I left in our room; those many magical like drawings and runes I was practicing for years as a girl, the cheap broken pieces of sea glass, the necklaces of sand rolled shells, the little twigs etched with ridiculous characters that I thought were wands. Zuul taught me that I did have talent, that it wasn’t me that was a failure, it was all those things I had bought as magical supplies from those charlatans. He taught me the first cantrips that I taught you; to read magic, to detect magic, and the fun one too, prestidigitation.

When the first time in decades, word came that raiders flying purple sails were attacking the south of the Gwyneth, his family had come to help us. They were not of Lowhill, but they were halflings, Hin he called us. He said all Hin, are kin. He gave me the courage to stand up and do something more. Just like now, years later when there is another group of raiders with those damned purple sails. I could have loved Zuul entirely, and my heart ached like it had never before when he left me. I do not think that Zuul loved me. He saw potential, a student, and maybe more.

Mama and Papa always said I was fearless, they were not wrong, but they were not correct either. I had many fears, falling, skinning my knee or breaking an arm just wasn’t one of them. Ever since I was capsized in that rowboat in Corwell harbor, I had been deathly afraid of the ocean, and things able to eat me in one gulp. Even still, Zuul encouraged me to send away application for admittance to a magic school across the ocean, because the council of mages wouldn’t have me as a student. I received a response sent with magic at the end of summer, while Zuul was still here. He was proud of me and encouraging. Partly due to my fear, I was prepared to stay with him, and let him teach me. He saw it was out of affection for him, and fear of the unknown. He encouraged me to go to the marches and Silverymoon, so I could be taught the greater mysteries that I could not here. I was resistant, out of fear of the unknown. Even though I had been traveling the islands for two years, I had never been truly away

Zuul and his company took me among their number for a few adventures very exciting, details not important. What was important, was they both helped me to overcome my fear of the sea, though not completely, and taught me there were real things to be frightened of in this world. Then word came that there was attacks nearby, not even a day’s journey. A friend captured or perhaps dead. He told me to go pack my things for the Gem, so that as soon as we returned that we would be off for the gem. I was to join his company, his family, and go fight the raiders. I was not .. no, I was afraid, but with Zuul, I could be brave. So I did as he bid. Only, when I got back to the square in Corwell where we were rallying, he and his had already left hours before to go against the raiders.

I went as far as Koart, and waited within the walls. It was Koart we were to be defending after all, I thought he would be there. They had given chase to them, and gone into domain not fit for the living. As such, most of them fell. Only the elf Sol, and an Zuul remained to come back to Caer Koart and tell them they were relatively safe. The raiders had captured Zuul’s kin, those that survived. He gathered what supplies he could, and then made himself invisible. He went back to rescue them or die with them. Which, in the end he did. I like to remember him as brave, but dear Sammi, my friend Zuul had lost his mind to grief. He did not love me more than he did any one of his kin. He was so pained he would rather than have died with them, than lived with me.

I knew then that I loved him for this as well; he manipulated me so that I would not face the same dangers as he, because he knew I was not yet ready to do so. His last wish for me, was that I go to the Gem, and learn real magic. I would know what I could, and could not do, be brave and not foolish. I would know that I was valued for potential, and sacrificed for, so that I might meet it.

I teach you Sammi, not because I want you to be a great magician, or to be a defender of our people. I teach you because you are my kin, I love you, and I would not have anyone take you for a fool. I teach you because you are capable, and should make your own decisions. You are smart, wiser than me, and so beloved.

- Bel -