Excerpts of a bard's life

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Excerpts of a bard's life

Post by orangetree »

I recall that day so well...

"Cammie? Please come here- hm? What happened to your veil dear?"

... I walked in quietly, brushing my robes. I really didn't want to tell her what happened. "... I slipped." The veil was slightly ripped, my horns protruding out of it.

She sighed and brought me over to her while sitting down on her bed. She took the veil exposing my red hair, and lightly ran her fingers. "Hm, your blemishes continue to grow even faster then your hair young lady," she said sadly. "However, I am sure our Lady Firehair will hide such things in time."

I nodded meekly, though it felt like she was saying that more to comfort herself then to help me. I had known I was different from the others for some time. The way people looked at me... I tried to not let it get the best of me. People were so odd at times. I focused on the nice things on where I was. It was pleasent and warm here, if a bit crampt. The temple didn't offer a lot of space, though at least it was never dusty or damp. Sunites were very particular about that.

"It's a letter from Waterdeep," My mother whispered in hushed excitement. She was dressed elegantly in the flowing robes of a priestess of Sune. Not that she could actually call forth the goddess's powers.. but she served her all the same. Part of me always wondered why she bothered, but said it was a matter of faith. Personally, I thought it was so she had somewhere to live... so we all had somewhere.

"What wonderful news!" She said as I approached. "He's been accepted into the Tyrian Knights!" She continued to read. "The vision came and it was clear. His heart is pure... Oh my Adam! I'm so proud."

I smiled a bit happy too. "I havn't seen him since your birthday." My mother's birthday tended to be relaxed affairs with just me, my brother and sister- sometimes a few others. Though I often wondered why he never came to mine.. why didn't anyone ever come to mine...

"Oh my! The choir is invited to sing at the Acceptance Ceremony!" She gasped holding the letter tightly.

"Really? I've never seen waterdeep!" I was now very excited. I could see my brother!

"... Cammie." She spoke softly. "The choir has been invited..."

"Huh? I'm in the choir though."

"Not... officially." she said looking with slightly trembling hands. "Cammie... I love you with all my heart, regardless of the circumstances of your birth. You must understand... that.. this particular place your brother- your half brother has chosen in his life, he desires to fight -all- evil from the face of this world. It's a very sacred order."

"I know... I'm worried about him but-"

My mother then tapped one of my horns. "You must understand why I can not take -you- there. If you go there, even under a disguise you'll be found. I don't know what they would do to you at that point."

"I- but- it says his family too! I could go as his family right?" I couldn't believe this! "You always do this! I've been invited. I'll be good, please! I just want to sing with the others."

My mother shook her head. "If they find out you're his half sister, that could ruin his chances with the order. Please understand child... you just can't attend this. It's not negotiable..."

- - -

It was the day of the ceremony. I was now alone in the temple. Normally I would be singing, but everyone has left. There are a few housekeepers, one of which was assigned to look after me but was more interested in using the moment to put on expensive makeup instead. I fumed a bit, and was bored... restless. When I got like this, it was like I could feel something trying to make me do bad things.

I entered the stage room... the halls were empty, of course. There was nobody here. "The lyrics," I noticed. "This was what they were going to sing for him..." I wondered what time it was. Even if I couldn't be there with them, maybe I could just sing it at the same time? Though how would I even know it was the right time...

I sat down at the stage, waiting for... time to pass. I heard little but the echoes of my hushed tones. I thought of my brother Adam... he... he really hated me when I caused the divorce of our parents. My mother had to choose between him or me... and she chose me in the end. I should be glad, I was often told my father- that is- my mother's husband would have wanted me dead, as did his children. It was after this my half-sieblings became commited towards the fight against evil... evil in all forms.

"It must be about now," I thought. There was no way to know.. maybe there would be a speech? How noble and proud.. how great an opportunity... do you accept.. yeah yeah.... proud traditions of Waterdeep... something something... take the blessed something, and pour it on your somethings... more somethings.... and you're now a knight of Tyr. Purge all that is evil, starting with your half-sister spawn to show your dedication.

I looked at the empty stage. I wasn't often allowed on it. I was behind the stage, singing with them. In a way this was no different... I didn't have the cues from the others and often had to memorise the rise and fall of pitch perfectly.

Thus thinking the moment was now.. well... now-ish, I started to sing.

Oh noble knights of bold,
Fortune glory traditions old,
Though this blade may feel so cold,
Rise as one as legends fortold

Bring the light of Tyr and Just!
His power be in your every thrust
Your family is now in our trust,
We do this all for we must!

When dawn now rise you are a knight
Clad in steel in symbols bright
Proud and strong oh Tyrian
Blessings of the Triads given

Pure of thought and strong of deeds
No taint shall stain nor blood of sin
Drive away the devil and demons
Their sickness will never taint..

The devils will fear... for you show the light
The demons will hate... fight with strength
The devils will deal... Only accept death
The demons will tempt... you will not succumb...

Oh brave Tyrians

Oh brave Tyrians..

Praise Tyr!

I took a breath as I sang them. My eyes were stained with tears... tears... Tyr and tears... irony there maybe. I thought of my brother with his sword now, coming to end my life. I took off my veil and softly cried, alone on the stage. Nobody there...

Nobody heard my song...

and I sang it hours too late anyway.