The space yet left

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Rumple C
Bard

The space yet left

Post by Rumple C »

*Artwork by Michael Whelan
Last edited by Rumple C on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Rumple C
Bard

Re: The space yet left

Post by Rumple C »

Today I spent an hour regarding the shapes I can make by connecting the tip of my pointing digit to my thumb. I could make a trapezoid, an approximate circle, but never quite a square. Oh finger and thumb, why do you vex me so?

When I join finger to thumb
And close the loop
No one can see
The space yet left
Hidden betwixt digit and digit
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I know there is still space between my finger and thumb, even though they are touching. This seems counter intuitive, but some truths cannot be denied. The more that I squeeze them together, the more I am convinced that there is something keeping them apart. For some reason, I am reminded of a man I once met.

Douay
Greeted me once
And took my arm in his
With spring tides
Departed
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I think i've told you this before but you should sit your ass down and force yourself to write a book.
I love reading you.
Everything about it, from the choice of words, formulation of sentences, the atmosphere and themes.
There's always that elusive feeling of depth to anything you write, a feeling that there is a lot more not being told.
You're a talented fella. It's wasteful that there are other mooks out there who write rubbish and you're not doing it.

However, as i'm a lazy bastard I compliantly understand if that is holding you back.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

kid wrote:However, as i'm a lazy bastard I compliantly understand if that is holding you back.
It's like you have seen into my soul.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

It was my sisters wedding today. It was pleasant. I could not stop pressing my thumb and finger together under the table, nor could I stop myself from looking at them every few moments. I am convinced that if I do this long enough, I will find what it is that is keeping them apart. My childhood sweetheart, Marianne, became quite upset with me for ignoring her. I told her that my hose were itching, and my codpiece ill adjusted. I could not bear her thinking I am deranged.

A
Lie
Spoke
Provides
Sanctuary
Temporarily
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

She thinks I am deranged. How can I convey to her, what I do not -yet- understand myself? Not only Marianne, but my sister, servants, and neighbors. It is time that I withdraw from this life until I figure this out. Gods willing, I shall not be apart from those I love, long.

There is no greater pain
No greater indignity
Than the wounds
That I inflict
Selfishly
Upon
me
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I have locked myself away in the east wing, and sent away all servants bar Herm. I only see him once in the morn, when he brings a fresh pot, and meals for the day. My waking hours are consumed with trying to understand the change I am feeling within myself, and recording the process, in case something awful befalls me. As always, my thoughts are with Marianne.

Removed from
worlds of men
Caged memory
in freed minds
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I have become plagued by terrible headaches. For a day and a night now, my temples have been pulsing in time with my heart. Searching for the space between my digits only makes it worse. I am beginning to fear for my health.

Breaking
Within
Broken
Without
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I have not slept in three days, and am beginning to see things that cannot be real. When i sit here at the desk the letters and words of poetry I have written swim along and around the parchment, re-arranging themselves into patterns I cannot explain, not describe. Slapping my face to restore awareness sends them scurrying back to their places, but only for a moment. My headache has grown worse. If I do not sleep tonight or have no respite from this ghastly pain in the morning, I will have Herm summon a herbalist.

I dare not write any poetry this eve. For fear it will have run away come daybreak.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

The tincture of the poppy sent me into a dreadful reverie. With false pity in his eyes, Herm reminded me that I have not bathed, nor shaven for a week. I reminded him that he is replaceable. Upon finishing the tincture, the headaches began anew. When Herm leaves for the market, I shall bar the door against his return. I can no longer trust the man. How could I not have seen his disloyalty after the last two score years?

Always
Alone
Am
I