Letters Home

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Letters Home

Post by orangetree »

To: Mrs Littleknight, Lowhill, Moonshaes

Dear Mother,

I hope this letter holds you in good health. I am always thinking of you in these stressful days.

I have tried my best to live amongst the human town of Baldur's gate but I am sorry to say it does not go well. I am baffled by the way humans speak to each other. Perhaps the strangest thing is how to actually start a conversation. There wasn't any pretence required at home as we are a naturally pleasant folk, but humans tend to start with an expression of neutrality. Rarely do I see a smile, or a willingness to engage with one of my height. Certainly not amongst adventuring folk anyway.

I am at most treated with disdain by these giants and something to be taken advantage of at worse. My hand of friendship is often spurned for reasons known only to them. They have no interest in my abilities as a healer or my company as a person. I even offered to teach a... strange fate woman my skills as a healer, in the hopes it would kindle something in her. Alas, she simply took to drink and showed the same disinterest.

I wish I knew why this was the case, mom. I think you sugar coated a bit that I got on well with everyone, alas it doesn't look like I can make friends here.

Humans place a great deal of emphasis on what one has to offer. Thus when they see me, I appear to offer very little. I believe it is because my skills are simply not sufficient for their needs. They often get into terribly bloodied situations, and they place greater faith upon the blessed of Selune. I admit, you would be awestruck if you saw her. I hope I could learn something from her, but it is doubtful she even knows I exist.

Naturally I have tried to continue professing the name of our goddess as the clerics wished of me in this journey, but I have yet to find a path to work in Her name. Though I know one will surly show itself eventually, my faith is being tested.

Life is very cruel and dark here. I am distressed by the amount of hatred upon the hin and I hope to make a friend some day though it has been a very long time now by my standards. Alas I will always wonder if they like me for my skills, or me as a person even if I did meet someone to engage with or even battle evil. I did manage to strike up a good conversation with one human, and – suffice to say and between the lines, he said I was simply not that interesting, not particularly pleasant, although I was... different? Something like that. I took the criticism... reasonably well.

Enclosed is a doll I bought at the market place here, please give it to Keri.

Sora Littleknight.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Letters Home

Post by Ithildur »

:)
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

To: Mrs Littleknight, Lowhill, Moonshaes

Dear Mother,

Oh, it's been a more interesting week then usual. First of all, I have met a curious elf by name of Aglaril. I don't know what it was that struck me about him. I suppose his eyes held a curious presence and I decided... I must duel this elf. I must show every ounce of my skill to him. My face fell, when he explained he was a bladesinger. I don't know a lot about such people, but he decided to forgo armor and used some very impressive skills that made me wonder what I must do to reach such a league.

I knew I had to be quick, and I managed a very subtle glance upon his brow, though he deflected it quickly. He adapted to the pattern of my skills with ease. I landed but three.. maybe four blows on him, over the course of our entire sparring. I believe those in the temple of Helm were starting to take notice of our sword-dance.

On it went, and I was tired yet this elf carried not a sweat upon his brow. I was tired, and had to call on some of Yondalla's power to aid me... just to keep up. He complemented me that I was able to strike him at all... clearly it was more then he expected, though I don't know if I can call it surprise. (Mind you... I think he just might have been surprised!) I think I defended the pride of the hin people in our sparring match, and hope we might cross our skills again.

I decided to patrol the docks, and had a curious encounter. These human men suddenly came out of nowhere, and demanded all my gold. Clearly they thought I was a 'little girl'... I think intuition was with me, for I already had my short blade. I dispensed swift justice on these men. They will never harm a 'little girl' again, Praise Yondalla. I also slew a half dozen goblins today while scouting the forest.

I encountered that really 'strange faithed' girl. I'm not sure what she wants. Have you ever heard of this philosophy called 'the way'? I'm not sure of this religion, but it sounds really faithless or possibly a falsefaith. I've asked her if she prays, and she talks of 'using' the gods... in my judgement, she's probably going to end up in the wall with that attitude. I know she's not kin, so I shouldn't be bothered by it... but her faithless nature is so very repugnant to me. At least non-believers tend to admit their faults.

I find her all the time drinking herself to 'purge' herself of memories. Apparently this is a ritual of her tribe (Did uncle Berry do the same thing before his wife snapped him out of it?) I find the whole thing very depressing to watch. She has time though to criticise me for being happy in my role of killing murderers and goblins. Oh- and she's also worried of the elven people fragmenting and warring on each other... can you believe that? The elven people killing eachother... in a war, just like 'humans'. I've just found out she hopes to teach children... I am concerned.

I am still seeking a cookpot for the lovely woman in Gullykin. It might take some time, it's a harder task then I thought. I hope you will write back mother, just write to the Blade and Stars of the Gate

Lots of Love,

Sora Littleknight
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Dear mother,

Life at the gate is a daily struggle for survival. I have gained enough coin for myself though with mail delivery and occasionally relieving the Goblins or Kobolds of their ill gains. I know it isn't exactly a knightly duty, but it is all I have at the moment. I still hope to make my family proud.

Humans live in curious dwellings, and it is not at all like the moonshaes. The druids back home know how to focus human will, but here I see what it does without focus in a strange deranged madness of order. I see a marshalled mess of wood and stone, some carved to shine and others hidden in darkness. A mosaic of the worst of humanity, cobbled with their best artisans as if, they are ashamed. Ashamed to show their wish to have more, to be more. The only thing of value is how quickly, and how well you can draw blood.

I often feel like I am living in a colony of pirates and at the bottom of the pile. The smell of my greenness is to be avoided at all costs by the local adventurers. the pessimist in my thinks it is because they judge me unworthy.. the optimist in me, that they fear guilt from my 'inevitable' death. I try to find something of the good on this continent. Friendships, love of family, art, something that would give meaning to this world. However my attempts don't seem to be yielding fruit as yet. I offered a prayer to Yondalla, asking her to send an adventuring hin my way that perhaps we might share in noble goals and companionship.

… my prayers were indeed answered, by a dead brother on the road. I performed the rituals as needed, and performed a funeral. His name was Weaver. I regret that there was no interest in the send of for him, but I offered my prayers and well wishes to him. I am unsure what to do with his items. The the living goes the spoils, according to the pirate code of this land... I'm not a pirate though. I have given the gold and items to charity instead, approximately two hundred and fifty gold coins.

An elven lady, by name of Nioniel offered to clear the roads to at least offer some action for Weaver's send off. We killed a few creatures in the forest, but saw no sign of the original orcs. She seems competent, though enigmatic. She offered very little of herself in conversation but is content to hear my ramblings. I'm not sure what wisdom can offer such a situation. The only thing I have been able to learn, is that she thinks I'm 'cute' and.. that's about it.

I have attempted to offer my hand in friendship. The elven lass said that we will not know if we can be friends with her or not until a year trial period.

An entire year...

I suppose this is standard fare though. In some ways, I am glad there is a defined structure to forming friendships in this world. I have to prove my worth to them before I am permitted any kind of association. That's normal, isn't it? I am just a ghost in this world of tall folk, a child in their eyes. I think they want me to accept, I can't help them in their efforts, even as a healer. They have plenty of healers, ones that won't die to a possible fireball.

I was given a lovely cloak by the human Horatio. Apparently he was concerned I might get cold. I regret I know very little about him though. He often likes to tell me I'm completely wrong whenever I have a conversation though. I'm getting used to that.

Toby is a strange human. He seems heavily involved in a lot of actions for the Good and Just, but has recently taken to drinking himself to the point of illness. I don't really know what he's dealing with, only that whatever pain he's dealing with it is very personal... and there is nothing I can do. I offered him a few words I've heard priests say, but I'm not that good at the whole 'healing of heart'. I should probably just stick to bodies. It makes me uncomfortable to see him like this, but I will pray he finds some kind of resolution.

I encountered the 'possible' false-faith, Calil. (Honestly, I have not made up my mind on it mother.) I was on a mission in search of a missing man from Beregost. For a woman of her nature, she seems to have done really well in her life. Land used as a garden, friends in high places... I find myself asking, who am I to really judge her? Indeed, who am I to judge anyone?. She offered to help me find this man... I was reluctant knowing her possible nature, but perhaps it would be a chance to work her out a little. She spent most of the mission telling me how ill suited I was at a search mission, as I could not even perceive her semi-naked body in the forest. I told her to put some clothes on, no doubt this was considered an insult- though I was just trying to be professional.

As you can see mother, the hearts of people here are cruel. I am not even sure what to pray for as I feel my faith and patience tested. The adventurers here see me as just a gob-cutter, not even a goblin slayer.

The winged one, Teressa did have words of wisdom to share with me. I confessed I wanted to be like her, even if... it wasn't that likely. She said I should be patient, and stick to things at my competence. I should stick to the small problems I might encounter, and learn from them. Her words are wise and relevant.. I do have a tendency to over reach, to prove to myself and to the gods the value of my soul. I just... wish I could be competent enough to do the things expected of me. I feel our people need a hero... I'm just not sure how I can achieve that though, fighting rats and running away from powerful goblins. How can I do all these things the temple expects of me, in such a dangerous world?

Sorry for the dreary letter mother. I hope things are going well at home though. The only thing I have going for me (often reminded) Is that I am still alive even if I am a failure.

I will prey for a sign... I need to know what I need to do now.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Dear Mother,

Life continues to be hard on the main continent. I deliver the mail, and try to help out with a vermin problem in a place called Requel. It's not a a big job, but I get some decent coin out of it.

I faced my first major crisis, with an army of blue scaled kobolds on the main roads. I know you want me to tell you I managed to fight them off... maintaining the honour of the Littleknight line and all. I have to be honest. I'm sorry to say, that they were too quick for me to attack, even with the blessings of the Goddess. I have never seen anything like it. They chattered with a terrible shrill upon their lizard tongues and moved as a nebulous cloud. They weaved and ducked every blade and bolt I threw. The hero Aglaril, managed to fend them off, and from what I'm told has even parleyed with their draconic master Himself. Truly he is one of the greatest warriors I have ever seen and an inspiration to many.

It seems a force is being gathered to kill the dragon amongst the elites lead by Aglaril. Being who I am, I wanted to try and find some way to be useful even if I'm as green as they come. Alas, my inexperience shows and I can not formulate any real plan to confront or.. even evade such a beast. My thoughts to take common families to the Selune temple was surmised as unworkable and more dangerous then just staying put. I guess it is true. People need to feel they are doing something though, as much as I want to feel I'm helping.

I have tried to offer my services. There must be something even I can do... but I missed the meeting. Not out of cowardice, I swear. Maybe I am getting in the way of the experts, I sense their patience has worn thin with me.

There is honestly not a lot I can do, but wait and see. I hope they succeed, though... part of me wishes, I could have seen the dragon too. The survivors will no doubt he considered great heroes. Assuming, any of them survive. If they fail, I suppose we'll have to work out a more mundane solution. You told me once that you escaped a dragon attack.. can you tell me how? Honestly?

I've shifted my attention to other possible areas to apply my energy to. There is a tournament in the heartlands I was looking into. By strange coincidence, there was a man seeking allies who would do well in the tournament, or would face a dragon. I attempted a little knuckle fighting with the elf, Calil to see if I can last at least ten seconds in this tournament without... demeaning our people.

I regret that my skills with the sword do not translate well to fisticuffs. If I entered this tournament, I would just be an embarrassment to our people. It would continue the narration that we are just.. 'a joke' to the humans. As a result, I can not possibly enter it. Maybe another hin can do it and show what we're made of... but it can't be me. I thanked the elf for the education (yes, she pummelled me without a sweat in little time) It was then thought that maybe I can heal participants but to be honest... why would I heal a people that have no respect for us? All in all, I make a poor ally. For either dragon hunting, or... a more insidious Enemy. I want to help but.. wanting isn't enough.

I seem to be developing a bit of a loosing streak of late. Still, the mail is being delivered on time and I focus on the task I am given with diligence. If you have any advice mom, please write back. Try not to worry about the dragon, it's being handled by experts and I promise I wont try to involve myself in it again. I will just pray for their success.

Lots of Love,

Sora
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Dear Mother,

It was very kind for Lady Teressa to let me speak to you directly. I am glad you are well, and relieved. It seems mail from you is having trouble reaching the main continent, but I hope my messages still get through.

I have taken your advice to heart, and will try to be more open to possibilities. I suppose I have been a bit ill prepared for the realities of what I face on this world. Enclosed is my best picture, of the elf Aglaril fighting the Kobolds. I know it is not of high quality, neither does it convey his quickness... (and I think I made his hair too long) but it was certainly inspirational. After much debate, I will go to the dreaded heartlands and inspect this strange 'Kind of Ring' that the humans have made. I know it is a particularly dangerous place, and I will be on my guard.

Lots of Love,

Sora.
Attachments
elf kobold.jpg
elf kobold.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 2868 times