The untold stories of Raven

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

The untold stories of Raven

Post by orangetree »

*A book in curious red leather...*

"This story is false. It is pure imagination. Obviously, nothing fantastical ever happens in the bubble of silverymoon, and nothing exciting could ever happen to me. My greatest adventures only happen inside my head, for I am a very uninteresting person in the grand scheme of things. Thus, we will ride into my world, where anything can and will be..."

- - -

Living with a witch had it's upsides, and downsides.

You got used to the screams from underneath the basement, where my mistress would torture her old boyfriend back in the western heartlands. I found out what he did eventually, of course. He betrayed the location of fleeing families, to the Thayans. Parents saw their loved ones enslaved, before being killed themselves.

I was livid of course when I found out this man's crime.

“No justice,” My mistress cried. “There can be no justice, for this scum... Death is not enough.”

I watched her for quite some time, as she tore into his flesh like it was butter. She was a student of necromancy and knew ways of keeping this flesh-thing alive, despite even dismemberment. Though in the end, I could not accept this logic and freed the man by setting him ablaze with fire to whatever judgement the gods would give him. (Yes, I granted him his heaven... I'm sure his evil gods would be pleased.) My mistress was right, there was no justice in death.

Oh how my mistress was angry with me. So she sent me to silverymoon. I had learned enough from her. Though in truth, I wonder if it's because she feared she might decide to kill me too. However I think in some ways, she was pleased with me. I had recognised the curse of her own anger, and ended it. It is not normal for halflings to hate for too long, after all. Our emotions are not quite what humans imagine it to be, though they establish us as 'child-like'... we are far more mature then they realise. We simply have a love of play, many forget.

- - -

So here I am, in the Lady's college. I have learned from my new teachers all I could. Few seem interested in getting to know me though. Until I made a friend. The ghost, known in life as Lord Tombwriter. Yes I know this is strange, but I found him in a book. A book many students avoided, just like me... for it was a page on necromancy.

In a way I think we were meant to find each other. This ghost became like a new teacher to me, as he whispered his love and joy at having someone to speak to. I often wondered why he never moved on. He was clearly not an evil ghost, at least as such as they could exist. Silverymoon didn't really allow for that kind of thing. But the apparition was always curious to me, given I seemed to be the only one that saw him.

“Ah Raven,” he said in his curious ghostly voice. He appeared as a shimmering orb to my eyes. “You have grown so well in your magical studies. Tell me, how do you feel about stretching them?”

I glanced at him with curiosity at that. “You mean to join the spellguard? What is there to guard here?”

The ghost shook its 'head'. (At least near as I could tell), “Oh don't be silly my girl. I know you are destined for great things. In another life, you could have been a Queen.”

I looked at him strangely. “Tombwriter, I do adore your belief in me. But it is quite misplaced.”

“Come with me.” the ghost stated as he hovered outside.

So I followed the spirit, to the graveyard at the back. It was here I knew my fate to join those who have been. I call this the 'Grave of the Magi', for so many have died believing that a magic spell could protect them. The greatest asset of any magic user was their legs. I recognise the weakness of magic however. It tantalises us... but that is indeed the truth. 'Tantalise'... for all magic is an illusion as is the power. All magic can be negated, blocked... even running, eventually.

“My grave,” the ghost gestured to a simple stone. “I was once a great power in the Lady's College. I created a room where one's dreams could become reality... do you know what people did with it?”

“I could imagine,” I said to him with a vague look in my eyes. People were quite... well, that's why I stayed away from them.

“Yes... you can imagine. So much for exploring ideas of new worlds. A bed and a partner was all anyone ever wanted. Just touch that rune over there.”

I sighed at that. Don't we all get a little lonely? I did as was asked, and the rune glowed... a key suddenly popped out of it, and emblazed was Lord Tomewriter's seal. “What has this got to do with me?”

“You were so very close to finding my secret room... a crossroad, between the bridge of silverymoon, the palace, and the various seals you might find in the college. You only lacked this key... but I give it to you now.”

“Exciting. So, why not just tell me where it is?” I asked probably with a deadpan look. I did mean it, this was exciting. A secret room in the college that nobody knew of? Who wouldn't find that interesting?

“Because you're a halfling, and you like games, sweet child,” said the ghost.

I had to grin at that. So at least a ghost understood what I liked. “Yeah, alright. What will I find when I get there?”

“I'm not too sure yet,” said Lord Tomewriter. “I am curious myself.”

So I took the key, eager to see if I could decipher the clues that might lead to this special room, from my dead ghost friend.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Re: The untold stories of Raven

Post by orangetree »

“These are your choices, Raven.” the voice said.

I saw the two paths before me. Both moving into the dark, beyond. Both looked like paths that might lead to hell, neither seemed to be a heaven. I shifted my foot back, only to feel a wall at my heel, and even more nothingness.

I looked up and around for the source of the voice. That of a curious sorcerer, in Scarlet Red clothes. His face was a mask of the same colour. I knew him to be a sorcerer like myself though... many knew him. Many feared him, for he was connected to so many of us. Perhaps the shade of a red-dragon, or even the passing thought of one. The mind of a dragon rarely died once it's body left this world. Yet already I was trying to place my own poor subjective views on a being I knew little of. What did it matter?

“It doesn't matter little one. Two paths are before you, and both will kill you.”

I looked again at the world. “How do I die?”

The man in red shrugged. “That path is pointless... and that one is meaningless.”

I looked at the two again. “Does that mean the pointless path has meaning to it, and the meaningless path have a point?”

The man in the red masked stared at me... and it was now that I was drawn to his eyes. Humans always had lovely eyes, when you looked at them closely. This one had curious speckles of copper. Beautiful hues that could almost look like a flower. Pupils that were blue, reminding me of a drop in the ocean. “Both paths are the same, little one” he admitted with a not unkind touch to my shoulder.”

“I can not turn back?” I glanced at the wall.

The being's voice was a little gruff, as it spoke again. “There is no turning back... there is only the choice. This choice now, to make.”

I looked around. Of course, there was always a third option, was there not? That's how it worked in stories... there had to be another way. Another path. Was there something preventing me from thinking 'creatively'? No, this was the Law at work... a law I could not mitigate or subject to my whims and desires. I wanted another way, but it did not make it so. I was doomed, and to take either path was death. Painful, and pointless, meaningless, final... absolute. So what could I do?

“... I do have another choice,” I declared as I stared at my hopeless situation. “I could wake up.”

- - -

I woke up in the library. I had fallen asleep on a pile of books... and there I saw the curious sentence on my book on the legend of Red-Fang, assumed to be the progenitor of many fire magic users. (Certainly not me... I don't feel an affinity for fire. Mine is water.) He gave his magic to the willing, in return for a curse of being slowly burned. I turned a page to see what was written for his next victim. 'I will still be here... when you make your choice.'

Red-Fang certainly had a way with people I thought. I closed the book, and placed it back on the shelf straining a little by the height of it. I knew the secret room of Tomb-writer had to be here somewhere. I had looked all over silverymoon, pouring over the information of the Lady's college. I have a suspicion that the Lady's college and the High Palace are connected, in some way. The connection being the moon-bridge. Could the bridge be the path I seek? Eager to make some headway I decided to camp out at the top of the Lady's college and watch the stars, and the movement of Selune. I had a suspicion an alignment there, will point the way to the secret...
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

This was a confusing place.

It was dark but not cold. Indeed I sensed that there should be light here. Was I not in the college? Or on a ship? I pressed my hands upon my eyes, and realised I had been blinded. My senses informed me this was magical in nature, and likely temporary. I should regain my sight in a few minutes, assuming the spellcaster did not mean permanent harm. I certainly hoped this was not the case.

"Where am I?" I called out.

I could feel a hand on my shoulder. A small hand and I knew it to be a cousin.

"Do not fear Raven. You are amongst friends. Welcome to the Secret Magic Knights of Yondalla." The voice was very chirpy. Young and delightful.

Then I saw light... Golden hues, of a magnificent church upon which I stood in awe. The light poured in from a strange hole above the burrow, that was shaped in glorious circles.It made a pattern on the flow as light was bent in strange ways with glass constructs. I noted that the shape of this burrow was reminiscent of the moon. No doubt a homage to a great many gods of magic. Mystra and Selune in particular... a library to the left, on which the Lord of Knowledge Oghma resided. To the right, a room for warriors to rest and heal. It was little wonder such a place had to be so secret.

There on the pedestal, I saw.. her. A yondallan priestess, clad in robes of gold. Her hair, shimmering with love and understanding. She saw me, as I saw her and my heart felt all a flutter.

"Approach child of Yondalla," She said.

I looked down upon my blackened robes as I stepped forward. My feet felt heavy as they clunked and screeched upon the perfectly smooth soil. I took off my hat, as I knelt before her, the black bangs of my hair in view.

"Sister Raven," smiled the Yondallan cleric. "Please forgive the sudden intrusion of your life. However, you must understand the need for secrets. There are very few halflings of Arcane talent... and you intrigued us."

"What do you wish of me, Priestess" I asked humbly.

"Simply... we think you have the potential, to join our order."

I gulped as those words were said. A priestess of yondalla, had judged me... someone of worth, despite my use of arcane magic? I glanced to the right again and could see many battle mages looking at me eagerly.

"The Yondallan Sisters of Sorcery," said the priestess to the group of mages.

I examined each. They wore robes of numerous colours. I saw the Blue, the Green, the Yellow... what did it all mean? Was I to be the Black amongst their beautiful shades?

The priestess approached me, gesturing my rise to her. "Do you wish to join them, Raven? They perform the deeds of yondalla by arcane magic. You will find a purpose with them, and more so... a place amongst the hin community. You will never be an outcast, and the goddess herself might visit you in your dreams if you are true to the cause. Your life will never be the same... but I believe it will be of value. We have need of you here Raven... we love you greatly, and I know you will love being with us."

I loooked at the priestess. This was... acceptance? "I... I wish to join you." I said sincerely,

Then the priestess nodded with a solemn nod. A book was taken from the pedestal. I tried to look at it, but found it was shielded by numerous wards. The powers in it were strong though... so very strong. A power greater then anything I had ever seen. It felt like it was a mix of both arcane, and divine magic.

"This is the Book of Destiny," said the priestess. "It will determine, if you are to join us."

Suddenly I was forced into a chair. I looked around confused, wondering what was going on. Was this a test? A table had been placed, and a singel candle lit. Prayers were being said... I recognised some of the enchantment, and as the scent of that candle was upon my nose, I knew what it was... and my heart sank. "No..."

"A candle of Truth, Raven." said the priestess sadly. "I said we have to be careful. You can only tell the truth, for the next few minutes. But for your comfort, I promise not to ask your true name... we know your history, and it is not important for this exercise. Speak only the Truth, and all will be revealed. What interests you in magic the most?"

"..Curses," I breathed in and out, shuddering.

The priestess held the book of destiny, as she flipped the pages. She began to read from the pages. "You find a boy, with a ring. He describes how he can not get rid of it. He throws it away, and it always return to his finger. He asks you to help... what is your solution?"

"I... I would ask him to give it to me. For I am interested in such items and would hope to understand it. I would be sure 'not' to wear it, and maybe put it somewhere safe."

The Yondallan priestess turned a page, and seemed to wait. It was as if words were filling the book in response to my answers. "The ring simply returns to him. Your attempts to determine a history to this item fails. You can find nothing at all. What do you do now?"

I looked at the priestess and at the candle. "I... would seek help. Find a.. real wizard who can determine the nature of the curse."

She waits a moment again as she stares at the pages. The priestess looked at me, studying my responses. "The wizard tells you it is a demonic ring but knows of no way to counter the effect of the curse. Time has now passed. The child is starting to show evidence of corruption. A demonic skin is showing on her arm, and shoulder. What do you do now?"

"I... I seek a priest to help. I would take the ring away again and ask for a miracle." i said quickly. What game was this? What test was this? What was going on!

The priestess shook her head as more words started to appear. She turned a page briefly. "The priests tell you that the ring was the result of a pact, made by the child's father. However they can not help further. The solution must come from you Raven... what would you do?"

I look at the candle again. The candle of truth...Was the answer to... kill the child? No! A yondallan cleric would not ask that. Yet... what other options were there? I could find no solution in my mind, nothing that could work. Nothing that would be acceptable to them. "..I admit I don't know if I can do this," said slowly. "But What I would do... if I could... I would place the ring upon me, and ask to be destroyed to save the child. If that doesn't work I- I try to take the ring and melt it in the hotest furnace!" It was true I could 'not' really do it... but... would have liked to?

The priestess pauses and waits. "As this is only for the sake of argument, even if you tried such a thing, the ring simply returns to the child and those around you would not harm you anyway. Your efforts to destroy the ring in a furnace are in vain Raven. What do you do next?"

I place my head on the table, my head shaking. "I... I don't know."

The priestess looked at me sympathetically. "There is an answer, child of yondalla. Focus on the ring... there is a way to save everyone. Without sacrifice, without harming the child, without hurting anyone. It is very simple... but it requires... imagination. Hurry, you only have until the candle runs out."

I shake my head crying as I stare helplessly at the candle. "I don't know! I don't know!" I wail and chant it. My powers themselves flared outward in darkness and hopelessness of the situation. Everything I wanted was here. A place amongst my kin, a future and a life that I would enjoy> A purpose of being! It was all here! All I had to do was solve a riddle... but it was too hard. It was just too hard.

"...Time is up, Raven. I am sorry, but you have failed. You will not become one of us... neither will you see us, again."

- - -

I woke up on the ship of the Queen Robyn. ... Did I have a strange dream? Why do I feel so sweaty... a nightmare.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Every time I slept, I tried to find that place again. That glorious moon shaped hill, upon which the divine was felt so strong. Where I felt that moments of peace, before the rejection. All I could see were walls made of iron, steel, rock, wood, crystal, glass... such strong reflections, where all I saw were images of myself.

To know who the sorceress sisters were, and why they would contact me in the world of dreams... yes I did remember the dream. Though only while I was dreaming. Sometimes I could send a short message to myself in the waking world, and often the waking world would impact my journey. I don't really claim to understand the journey I am on. Spiritual, existential... but while I am here, this is real. Though there are worse things to fear, then death here... the darkness is not simply the absence of light, but the manifestation of the emptiness I feel. The helplessness of the little girl I was, growing in a world of danger.

"Hello!"

I stopped and saw something odd. A little pixie...naked, save for long and lustrous green hair flowing down her form. "...hi," I replied back. "Can you tell me where the sorcerer sisters are?"

"Mmm... nope!" the green haired fairy replied. "You can't be one, you failed their test. That's kinda it. You only get one chance."

I looked at the fairy with disdain. "Where are we anyway." I looked around. A forest? I could hear delicate waters, a stream that descended into a lake... it looked quite homely. I could see no walls here either.

"No idea. It's your weird dream Raven." the pixie smiled dancing upon one of the rocks. I anxiously followed it, my expression a little grim. This place felt... dangerous. I couldn't quite tell why. "Where are the walls?"

"No walls here silly!" The pixie giggled. "All is as it is supposed to be here."

I was annoyed at that for some reason. "Fine.. I'll find the way out myself." I shrugged and started walking.

It didn't look like I would be getting any help from the strange fairy, odd as they are with their playful ways. However, no matter where I went.. I always ended up back at the stone, with the pixie sitting on it. Had she cast some strange spell on me? The fairy would wave at me every time. "..Why do you hold me here?"

"Am not!" the pixie giggled. "Why do you want to leave though?"

"I have things I want to do." I gritted my teeth.

"Why?"

"… I don't know." I sighed slumping my shoulders, falling onto the grass exhausted from all the walking. The fairy quickly sat onto my knee, as I curled up. I shivered, crying wet tears. Immediately the area turned to night, as the wind howled. Suddenly, this place felt a lot less friendly. "I have... to get away from here... something is coming..."

The fairy sighed. "They already came, and went." The fairy approached my face, gently.. and gave a miss, upon my brow. "You're just feeling the emotions of this place cause of your magic. This is the hidden valley... you were going to help protect it, right?"

I looked up at that. "The... hidden valley..." So... it really was populated by fairies? That's why it was hidden? How could such a place exist where outside was all but war, and death... "They... all died here..." I said, as I now took stock of the ruins. Even in the dark, it was like souls had lit the place. I could hear laughing children, and bustling activity of a hin community. So quickly, a rain made of ash fell, as if a nearby volcano exploded. I shivered and shook...

"Control your emotions, Raven." The fairy said.

"I... can't!" I grabbed my head, trying to shut out the images.

The ground shook, as lava poured into the grass. All around me was smoke and fire. Trees withered and died. I could see ghosts, spawned from their rest by necromancy. They were in pain, a pain I had brought them. Unable to live, unable to die... but this paled in comparison to what I had done to nature. The inky darkness smothered me, like a cold blanket. The ice was as a dagger, into my heart. It was chaos... I was responsible. I did this... I am the destroyer of lives, and if I lived long enough, the destroyer of worlds. The fairy looked hurt now, damaged as she was by my power.

"Leave... me!" I pleaded to the fairy. The magic was too strong. I couldn't control it... I was hurting her. I hurt those I was close to, all the time.

"I'm not leaving you sweetie... I never have, and I never will." the fairy said with a smile, even as her hair burnt off in fire. She snuggled close to me. I stood up, against the dark, my instinct throwing up a light spell. Pale as it was, against the darkness... all it let me see, was my own body upon the void.

Then I heard the chanting. The fairy started so sing, listening to the heartbeat of my soul. Her voice was like a key, opening those dark corners of my own voice in hers.

What can you see,
A lonely girl lost in the trees
Why can it be,
that I seem so lonely.

Do you judge me for my looks
Is my heart an open book
Are hins only just cooks
or am I just a crook.

Do you tall folks see a child
And offended if I am not so mild
When I sometimes get riled
It seems I am put on trial.

In this world filled with hate,
and the only interest is to find a mate
Where time makes me late,
and all but one are tied to fate

There is no fate for me as I stand,
Alone in this crescent land,
with just a magic wand in my hand,
Maybe I have reason to be sad.

...But with your company, I am glad.
My companion forever tied by a band
A fairy of light her spells she cast
When I saw you I just wanted to ask..

- - -

As I looked about, all was peaceful again. The fairy was gone... instead, all I saw was my cat familiar. It looked at me strangely. "Where.. is the fairy. Did I imagine it?"Of course the cat didn't say anything.

Then I noticed something strange. My hair had turned blue. I was startled by this, and wondered why the fairy would do that. I rather liked my black hair.

"… you will always be part of the hidden Valley, Raven." I heard the whisper, as I woke up.