A Sketchbook of Potential Adventure

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: A Sketchbook of Potential Adventure

Post by Zelknolf »

Swift wrote:Bring on more sketches!
Look upon my sig and find hope, for the current project will demand a matching sketch, as its brothers did before it!
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

sel_hunt_hung.jpg
sel_hunt_hung.jpg (103.17 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Spoiler:
A Well-Used Journal wrote:Hammer 1, 1381

It seems the people here are beginning to forget my mistakes past. A couple have that look in their eyes, the one that says I'm still just getting a second chance. Can't say that I've gotten more popular anyway.

I've just gotten better at fighting-- just as much a killer, but the ones that we want to die are the ones who die.

Seems this drew the Knight Commander's attention; he sent me to follow up on some issues with werewolves down by Beregost. He probably means that he doesn't think the sunbathers can handle it. Found someone who would sell me a silver blade and went south.

Hammer 3, 1381

A damn goose chase, running about trying to figure out where one bloody werewolf was. Sonuvabitch ate a horse and got everyone in a tizzy. Caught the critter, finally, and opened it up. The silver's too soft; it doesn't cut like steel, but the steel doesn't cut at all on these things.

Anyway, Richar was happy, so Ssilintarsk will be happy.

Hammer 5, 1381

Ambushed on the road; probably the werewolf's dog wanting a bit of me. And it got a bit, and so I'm again in a bed talking to the foreign girl. Arosi is her name.

She's way too damn patient for the likes of me.

Hammer 14, 1381

Been days of fighting without real rest-- been sleeping in the doublet, in case I need to hang steel off of it again. And I have. Dogs in the hills; man-dogs on the roads; the big ones are called "worgs" they say-- sons of bitches are at least twenty stone. Never had a man fight me like that.

They're sending me back to Gullykin once I'm recovered. Looks like everyone bordering the Sharp Teeth is getting some of this hell.

Hammer 20, 1381

Was raiders in Gullykin. Couple score of them, but armed with clubs and hides, another werewolf at their head. I probably should've bought silver arrows, could've softened it before it got claws on me, and now I'm sleeping off a handful of wolfsbane. Awful business-- like it set my guts on fire and everything's running away from it, but better than being a wolf.

Hammer 21, 1381

Magic got me on my feet faster this time; the hin told me that they were missing a girl. Wasn't going to make this the kobolds again. Went after her. These raiders are sadistic shits, though; they didn't want to kill me straight away. Sent me through this awful cave of steam and arrows and patterned lights; drops and wet walls wouldn't let me backtrack if I wanted. Was more than a bit woozy before I figured the lights out, and then there was a werewolf at the end, probably planning on finishing me off once they were all done gawking at me suffering.

Then the shits tried to give me gold instead of the girl. I was tempted... sorely... sorely tempted to just gut as many of them as I could before I collapsed. But the girl was there and alive. I took her and hobbled back to Gullykin, somehow managed to not be seen by a wyvern on the way. Or maybe it just wasn't hungry.

Probably not the last we'll see of these cusses, but they lost more than we did, and that was the last gripe the commander heard. Get to feel heroic now, and have a real sleep.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Badass
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Enjoying the drawrings :)
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Spoiler:
A Well-Used Journal wrote:1 Elesias, 1381

An odd request from the knight commander today. Seems that he's heard of a foreigner-- someone from the Gulthmere, but not a wemic. I guess that sounds possible, but Nobanion's men aren't going to be much suited for the Sword Coast. Too many men writing "business" large on a banner and meaning "pimp," "slaver," or both. Gods know why he came here, but I'm to find him, and let him know where to find friends.

6 Elesias, 1381

The rumors assure me that I'm looking for a human, redheaded with a beard tailored to make him seem a lion. With as quickly as this man moves, I have a hard time believing that he only has two legs. Sounds from the folk in Gullykin that he's urgently looking for something, or someone, but they say he's looking in the woods, so "someone" is probably already dead.

10 Elesias, 1381

I'm starting to wonder why this man needs my help. He must be made of fire and steel to run through the Cloakwood and the Sharp Teeth and keep in one piece, but he leaves deep footprints, and his tidy ex-campsites are easier to spot than the fairy circles. The one he left in this cave, though, is different. Not cleaned up proper, like he was attacked, but I found some of his notes. It's "someone," and he's looking for a ruined inn.

17 Elesias, 1381

Through the ruined inn and through the Sharp Teeth to find him half-dead and beaten by ogres, but the ogres were the whole way dead, so I suppose that speaks well for the man's ability. He calls himself Leonard, true to the description-- we managed to get out of the Sharp Teeth with only fighting a couple wolves, and werewolves followed us back to Ruqel. Some were willing to fight. One-- the biggest one I've seen, likely an ogre itself-- kept its distance.

Maybe it's scared of me. That suits me fine.

18 Elesias, 1381

My journey has changed to one of seeking Leonard's family. I didn't ask what he was doing bringing the lot of them to the coast-- three children, and a wife, all gone missing. He's out searching too, but at least knows where to return, and the wolves who tailed him are too dead to try that any more.

27 Elesias, 1381

A bloody mess trying to reunite this family-- just as I wrote a month ago. The Sword Coast is all slavers and pimps calling themselves businessmen, and they scattered the family immediately. It's a miracle the whole coast doesn't starve; the only thing they seem to produce is exploitation and casual neglect.

28 Elesias, 1381

Leonard's family decided to just return home; their experience with Amn and Baldur's Gate was plenty, I guess-- but bringing them back to the Gulthmere means taking them up the Chionthar, so I ride ahead to scare off any more werewolves. Hopefully don't have to fight the big one in the process, but it's still been watching me. I catch sight of it sometimes, but probably not every time.

3 Eleint, 1381

Pirates made an attempt on our ship at sea, and then pirates in fashionable hats made an attempt on our ship at docks. Hard fighting and absurd bureaucratic hoops, but we're on our way again. The family is haggard, by the looks; it's been especially hard on the boy. He can't be more than six years; the girls at least look like they've made it to their teens, or neat it. From here, it's just a matter of keeping the ship safe while we tow it upriver, though one questions how long the wolves will follow us.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I do not see this ending well for the adventurer.

Cool drawing.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Rumple C wrote:I do not see this ending well for the adventurer.
In testing, it didn't. First time the test toon died and I had to redo a fight several times to make sure the first one was bad dice and/or tactics, and not bad encounter design.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

For a moment there I thought it was my wereboar hill giant... Too small though. Looks good...
Hey, if I get to play BG, I'll give it a go :P
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Yeah, this is CR 5 (where I think that lycanthrope giants start at CR 10ish?). Don't want to include too many spoilers, 'course, so I'll leave it at the usual set of promises-- I ran it with a character of the level of the quest to verify that it can be done, but it nearly killed that character many times and actually killed her once. So if your fun comes from driving a character to its absolute limits, bring a level 5 and solo it or bring two level 4s and fear for your fictional lives together or die having fun (I figure that if "immortality" was your goal, "driving a character to its absolute limits" wouldn't be). If you need to not feel death's icy breath on you while playing, bring a few friends or wait until you're a couple levels over. Or both, whatevs. I hear of folk in double-digit levels playing these quests and having a good time; I've enjoyed herding ducklings through the plots m'self, and they seemed to have a good time out of the lot too.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Very cool. I have to say your drawings inspire me to return to my own feeble attempts at art. Since my laptop died last year in the move, I have not really been into photography. I need to figure out where my drawing pencils are though. I moved them for safekeeping and, well, out of sight out of mind is a thing. Keep posting, I enjoy them alot and steal motivation for myself. 8)
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

I haven't checked in here in a while. Nice to see new (for me) drawings, I like them a lot!
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana