Raven's college days.

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Raven's college days.

Post by orangetree »

Much thought has been done.

Thaumagery

Necromancy

Elementalists

Wizards

Sorcery.

All these are but words. Words of power. Words that force one into a race of grandeur and transcendence amongst others that use the same words in the same circles. If indeed there can be such a word that would tell me who I am, what is my purpose, and what is the nature of the very magic I hold... I would not need to learn anything further.

For if there is one such word, it would be... somewhere along the lines of: And so it begins.

The story...yes, it's always about the story. A beginning, a middle, an end. A life lived, a life ended... and I see graves so many graves of the fallen magi in silverymoon. Those who were lucky enough to be brought back to a final rest. Merely a sample of the fate that awaits us all.

I wear the robes of black, for I am preoccupied of Death. The hin do not have an easy relationship with Him, and I am no exception to that rule. It saddens me to have seen so many of my kin killing others like it was playday. Yet as mages Death is what we deal, to others and ultimately to ourselves. So I have sought ways of observing the world, through the eyes of Darkness.

I see nothing... I feel the cold. The wind that blows into my soul, and I fly as I might with my name-sake... Raven.

The weapon is the mind, the mind is the tool... but what does this mean to the weave, for those who use it as either? is it tool, or is it weapon? The easy answer is to follow what has been already written... to follow the path of others, the tried and tested system that grants one a chance to achieve a status of Arch-mage... or any form of recognition in the Arts. For it is only with recognition that one can truly serve, and feel better about oneself, ones standing and place in the world...

...right?

Though I am Somone to Yondalla, as well. For my attempts to mix with the dirty and deranged nearly lost my head. The values they hold on the cheapness of life, distressing. I am far too civilised for such wretchlings, and too ignorant for the mediocrity of this aristocracy that is the Lady's College.

Oh wobbles.

So, I need a project. Yes, that will sooth me.

Something to tire me away and it has to be something impossible otherwise I will get bored. So here is what I consider: The magic of Sorcerery is not quite the same as wizardry... and indeed, I think the hint of it lies in the weapons we use. For we are skilled in more actual weapons then a wizard... we achieve a peak of power at a younger age... and it is foolish to try and emulate a wizard- learn yes, but our paths are ours... they may see our ways as the lesser path, and our lack of intelligence as a burden at most... but that is not so! For we exist that must mean something...

To which I now present my project. I will investigate, a ritual... one that summons not man, beast, demon or angel... or any of the things one would normally associate with a summon. Much like a mage summons a familiar, I believe one can summon other things that are aspects of one-self. A weapon, specific in some way to the summoner. The magic flows and creates the item, it will instil a greater focus and magic- as unique as the form...

For within sorcerery lies the power of imagination... I see something within me, that I must make. If magic is as a tool.. then I am the anvil and must not ever, break.

- - -
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Re: Raven's college days.

Post by Twin Axes »

Interesting!
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

I really like reading about whats going on with Raven. Boz has been so busy asking for help with his "issue" he never stopped to ask how she was doing. Boz is heartless I tell ya!
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Encouragement is appreciated thanks.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

It's not very good and I really only spent a few hours on it, but I wanted to give it a shot. Here's Raven and Boz hopefully working on some magic at the Lady's College.

Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

Cute! He's a chunky guy, that Boz. I like it when you work with shading.
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Thanks. I used a rather bad pencil I think to get enough shades so I had to improvise patterns.
kiyoti
Frost Giant

Post by kiyoti »

Love it! First PC in a picture! Lets work some magic shall we?
PC
Bozwell "The Dragonheart" of Clan Blackstone, Explorer, Scholar, Knight Draconis

Gamespy: BigDaddyBones
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

nice work, love it OT 8)
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I have been obsessing with my studies.

Obsessively obsessive.

The Idea of the Weapon in my hand, continues to elude me. (As does that standard evocation class.)

When I was trapped in the classroom with the undead, I underwent several examinations of my condition as a living, breathing feeling halfling. Even if none out there wish to feel that which I know, and the darkness that exists in every shadow.

Yes, I think I know something. Secrets of the universe are within my grasp, and I can feel a fire so hot it burns cold. I can see things that should not be, flesh that is twisting and growing govern only by the inverse improbability of mortal existance. The living made of dead and the dead that can come to life. For now I know the truth. The inecapable truth. A fact of magic, in as few as there are any facts within our realm of obscure rules.

...magic cheats.

Yes. It breaks the rules. The rules governing magic are filled with 'unless' or 'if's and 'buts'. We spend so much time focusing on what spells are possible we do not look into truely creative arts. We know the rules, we know what rules can be bent and if strong enough, broken. This is the world we live in. I am part of the system, and yet outisde of it all. For I am a sorcerer, and a natural born of natural magic. None can touch the core of my being, for it is mine and mine alone. Mystra's body is the weave, but it is no more then the Earth god's that allow us to reap what we sow.

But enough. Yes the next truth I know has required a daunting task. I must seek out that magic, a magic known surly by the elves. I seek the power of communication by heart... an art lost and yet there are stories of hin with such powers. Stories passed down from long ago before the great war. What is the nature of such power? What would it mean to open my heart and let them hear my crazy thoughts, so naked would I be to their eyes.

Would they revel in fear, cowered by the glory that I am.. or laugh and step upon me, for mine might be a tiny soul. Who do I trust to attempt a heart to heart spell with? Can it even be done?

But more importantly... what would I see in them?

Yes, I must seek this out! I will find the one I can speak to without words. I will find the one. Perhaps the link to the familiar is the key. If they hold a familiar, as I do, a similar bond may exist as equals. Can such a thing be.

I will continue to examine the books, and evade the worst indignity that this existance can throw upon me.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I have been examining the force that exists within every spell and encantation. The raw energy which feeds upon equations turning thought into matter. My analysis has lead me into a unique and very interesting field of magic, though my skills in magery are not sufficient to write the 'numbers' for this. However I can feel it. Tugging upon the weave, like a hand might touch sandpaper...

I have no name to describe this energy, but I will call it the 'corruption.'

Corruption sounds like such a dirty word, when described. Indeed, this force is known intimately, to those who study Necromancy. It is here where it is most obvious. Current theory exists that this is due to the use of negative life energy, and the incompatible nature when used by a mortal harbouring positive life energy to continue their vitality and existence.

I have submitted a proposal, that this current thinking is inaccurate. For we have observed that even spells where negative energy is not employed, some 'corruption' does take place after extended use of the school of necromancy. Therefore, there must be something inherent to the school that causes these issues. I propose that each of the schools may have a corruptive influence, perhaps those not observed so easily. This could explain why the higher members of the facilities are so 'unhelpful'...

Necromancy

Slowly take on features of the undead. Eyes sunken, may turn yellow. Difficulty in digestion of foods. Pale skin. These effects are generally temporary, except with extended use. This is quite a well known form of corruption. Anyone can tell a necromancer, when they see one.

Abjuration

Spells of protection. Wall based magics that can dismiss as well on contact. This is a curious corruption indeed as it plays on the psychology of the individual. They became more conservative in their thoughts. Paranoia can set in, as I observe many students do seem more guarded on their notes. They give little emotion, as they tend to see this as the expression of soul. Ultimately, such beings might become golem-like in their thinking. Living soldiers of magic.

Conjuration

Conjurers are certainly interesting. They bring things from other worlds. Sounds so simple, does it not? Yet no, there is more to this if one delves a bit deeper. Complicated indeed, and very hard to actually quantify what their psychology can end up as. For these are people that 'create', even if temporarily. In some ways they may develop a god-complex... but in the end, they are simply wonders of the material continuum. They bring something to where it is needed. They can suffer a lack of confidence, for they ask others do to all the work for them and do little themselves.. If a god works through people, then perhaps this is true to the conjurer. I suspect they become so very lazy in the end.

Divination

I find this group... interesting, if a little unsettling the more I examine them. Those who consider the time line as absolute must beware these individuals. For fate is never fate with them. On closer inspection, I see aspects of 'day dreaming' amongst my fellow students. What do they see, in those dreams? Perhaps they see their eventual death... and how does one come to terms with such a knowledge? On a sub-conscious level, I suspect they know a great many things as the spells they employ take hold and let them see the worlds that never were, or might someday be. Alien knowledge may start seeping into them, of things that could never ever be... and yet, there it is. Within their minds.

I shall continue to have a look at the rest of the schools, I wonder if the faculty knows of these issues amongst the schools.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Though in my heart I am one with an interest in keeping life sacred, as is true to the worship of the mother goddess, there are times I feel a despondent persistent and troublesome thought. It is like the screeching sound of nails upon chalkboard. The scream of what is heard of amongst the noise of children. Why do they delight in that sound?

Oh Yes, I know the interest of the macabre. The dark, the desires of untamed, beautifully haunting aspects of the condition we call 'life'. How precious we feel it is, and yet... I see thousands, and thousands of lives in this city. Each person with their own story, their own unfinished tale... and yet, therein lies the greatest of truths. For each life must end, and that which is termed with the beautiful words... 'Epilogue'.

It could almost sound like Eulogy, a supposedly sacrosanct word in an ending we all must endure and face in the final night. Through screams, blood and tears, the aching pain of the stilled heart, the sight of animals birds and beasts that will rip, shred and eat every bone in one's body until it lay bare and naked just as it was when one is born...

This is sacred?

The circle of life, such is what is termed. Oh how joyous we feel to see loved ones passed on. Oh how noble their character, and demands of their charges and responsibilities. Lament as we must, for these men and women died for us and society. For kings and queens, for duty and honour, for friends and family, for... their own selfish needs. So noble!

Though there is no life, if there is nothing one can do to live. Held fast, by the chains of fate, as that arm grapples you to stick a knife in your back- or worse. Make you wait, and ask... shall it be slow, or fast? For pride is surly taken away. Dignity of life removed, as the young die young.

Life has no meaning!

Life is what you make of it I am told. With a clay I must mould it, shape it, form it from nothing. Yet nothing is all the clay is, I have nothing to shape and no world to create even unto myself. I have only the art of my magic shaped from the experiences of my life and an ethic imparted by the countless senseless deaths of a war the hin wish no part of. Humans and their wars... their gods that know nothing but primal basal instincts of when Humans lived in caves. For we have stories of humans when they lived in squallier, no better then orcs. Perhaps humans are orcs that wear clothes after all.

Why am I so bitter today? Why am I feeling so much 'rage'. For this is the anniversary... a day I wish I could forget. Moving on...

I am saddened by the realisation that, a corpse that animates itself is probably doing exactly the same that we do as living people. We walk and drudge on in our daily duties, how are we not zombies? Slaves to society, of wants and needs, gold and power, seeking the warmth that comes from fire, and the comfort of a loved one... just as the undead seek the living, for that same comfort and will tear it out of you if they can. Does one honestly think the living wouldn't act the same?

Is there nothing one can do, to achieve a state of dignified immortality? To let go of all the pleasures and desires that come with it... Oh how I could see the benefits. To never have to think again. To be bestial in nature. For a beast by it's very nature can never commit an act of evil. It might be slain perhaps, but that is only because it is confronted out of a basic need of defense. An attack born for a desire of food.

There Be Dragons, within such thoughts indeed.

How I hate this world sometimes. People, just... so many people. Wanting, yearning, desiring. Yes, even myself. I am not above that. I can not be, for I live without living. I feel so much hate that I will die leaving a 'beautiful' corpse behind. Yet I will fight... I will keep fighting.

What is dignity, in death... what is power if it can not ever be used. What is a woman without destiny, to be alone forever in an uncaring, unfeeling world.

A world so big, it makes me feel smaller then I really... am.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

My first thesis to the Lady's college is an indepth analysis of the basic spells... I don't know how I will be graded on it. I need to travel to Rivermoot now anyway on an errend, so hopefully I can finish it off later.

- - -

An analysis on the use of magic in times of War.

By the Sorceress Raven.

When does a mage use magic? Mystra teaches that the more power you have, the less you need use. Efficiency is expected. I have therefore taken this extra-curricular work to examine in great detail, each spell of the 'cantrip' circle and its applications in the world.

Under what circumstances is it permissible to change the aspects of fundamental reality we find ourselves in. Yes, that is what every spell does. Something that should not be, suddenly is. The law of the world is sundered by the presence of a mage, and even more so by the more powerful and of course those closest to mystra Who in theory can access the very weave in ways that change the fundamentals of the fundamentals. I will not concern myself of this, rather to just examine the Body of Mystra, as She is...

With careful meditation, a sorcerer can work towards a particular spell they desire... but if they do not, then it will find itself manifest in other ways. Perhaps by their particular personality, randomness.. or even the circumstances of birth. Often why a spell manifests is completely unexplained. A talent, a wish.. a desire... all these things tend to play a part. But of course there is no absolute rule.

There are in general, three basic circumstances to life, one may desire to cast a spell. Each must be examined, as the road of sorcery demands a 'fussy' personality... so few can be cast off hand, and yet even more can be cast with the use of scrolls. Careful thought and consideration must be balanced with the wild and raw imagination of this brand of magic, if one is to succeed in the world.

1) Battle. This in turn comes in three distinct phases. (1a) Pre-battle, (1b) In-Battle, and 1(1c) Post-battle. Many a mage will find themselves in this situation. By far, many spells must be considered under these circumstances for it is true, that we hold very little battle prowess in our bodies. Yet our magic can easily become our downfall.

2) Civic circumstances. I consider this all the non-battle applications of magic. Perhaps one is doing their civic duty to aid in a manner that is not at all life-threatening. That does not mean a situation can not become life threatening. It is not often one might use such a spell...

3) Enjoyment. A mage needs to have a little fun with their power, do they not? All spells have an enjoyment factor to them, but very few spell are intended for 'pure' enjoyment. Yet one can derive great satisfaction from these spells, and in turn develop a healthy mindset to magic. Do not dismiss 'play'... as pointless... the playful can so often be powerful.

Not all magic users are equal and it is not easy to find a definition of 'average'. I will be using as a template, the highly trained spellguard as a 'typical' value of what the best can achieve, in the use of such spells.

The Cantrips

The charms

Resistance. This spell provides a very small protection against accidents, poisons, and illness and enhances one's state of mind. It is more a charm, then anything else when the effects are scrutinised. In reality, it's very unlikely to shield one from harm. It will last approximately 5 minutes only, give or take a few minutes.

1a) Useless. Under pre-battle conditions, the spell does not last long enough.

1b) Unlikely to be useful. There are very opponents that would attack in such a manner. If used such spells tend to be quite powerful, and this spell has maybe a 1% chance of being useful under those conditions. You would be better off running then to rely on this.

1c) Possible. If a person fell ill, and the spell was timed right it 'could' provide a small help. These are very specific circumstances and require an element of luck.

2) Under civic circumstances, one can use the spell to provide a mediocre semblance of a change in fortunes, to another. For a time, anyway. However since it does not last long, it succumbs to the same issues as battle conditions.

3) This spell is useful for meditation in a personal sense. However a well trained mind can do fine without it. In theory one can use it to enter a drinking contest, but it will only put you ahead a few months of building a tolerance, and only to within your own personal limits.

Summary: Resistance is a well meaning cantrip. The analysis shows it is quite useless except under very specific circumstances, and even then the effect is limited if not ultimately useless. A spell for when there is little hope to try anything else at most, or to provide a sense of awe for the masses.

The battle spells: Acid Splash and ray of Frost.

These spells are grouped together. Despite their different schools their effect is intended to do just one thing: Hurt, harm, or otherwise damage someone or something physically.

1a) Not applicable.
1b) Extremely useful – see battle notes.
1c) Not Applicable

2) Some modest civic use of these spells. The ability to form a small acid that dissolves, or even ice can have a variety of applications. It is noted that the citizens of silverymoon find the ice spell distinctly useful.

3) It must be said, these spells certainly 'can' be enjoyable. I enjoy a little ice in my drink for one. Making objects melt have some entertainment value.

Let us perform an in-depth battle analysis of the conditions in 1b:

A mage's first port of call is to consider the deployment of magic when faced with an opponent. This might not always be a good idea. (In fact it generally isn't.) They are akin to a blade in their actions when deployed to cause harm. To be without these, is to being on the field with no weapon. However this is a weapon that has very limited strikes. This is where a sorcerer can excel. for we do not prepare such spells and can do them until we exhaust ourselves. The stamina limit still applies though as even the greatest will tire. I have attempted to research exactly how much harm one can do with a single attack, and I regret to find that even a dagger can out-do these spells in terms of damage.

Because a dagger can do more damage, we will now add a comparison of a dagger to the basic attack spells.

We must consider what is the likelihood of an average mage, actually being able to hurt their opponent if this is the desire? In order to cause harm, one must actually form a careful line of sight to the target, and deploy the spell with sufficient time anticipating any movements Similar to how one must do the same with a dagger to find a weakness.

We must therefore consider the opponent as well. Against armoured foes, these spells can connect 50% of the time (ish). Generally, armoured folk will succumb more quickly to these spells then to an actual blade. (Unless they have very special protective magics themselves.)

We have therefore established that the spell can 'connect' better then a blade against armoured foes. But what of those that have no armor at all?... This depends a great deal on the skills of the foe. Very quickly, the usefulness of the magic starts to fail in comparison to just sticking a dagger in their back if they are insanely fast. (a dagger has the potential for a great deal of damage if one is fortunate. The same is not true for magic).

The spells have a major weakness that can not be addressed: Both are born from the elements, and therefore can be easily blocked by magics of divine and arcane ability. Any that know to face a mage will have protection of this nature as standard. Their usefulness is thus further diminished as one must also get fairly close to the opponent in order to use these spells and there is no guarantee that it will hit the opponent. Whatever damage you think you can cause, half it immediately, and assume the opponent will be able to get to you twice as fast.

Overall summery:

The attack spells are fun to have, but ultimately useless. One must gauge the circumstances of their deployment. The damage they do is very minor, although this magic is cheap. They are decent as a support spells when in a group in particular when facing a single opponent that has tough armor and can make a small difference in those circumstances where arrows would struggle. It will not kill anyone on it's own besides the very small and weak. Despite the weaknesses This is one of those spells that every mage worth their salt has if not for the very least, target practice. I must hasten to add that if mages work together they can accumulate in damage. If a number of mages cast one of these spells on a single unprotected individual, death is not impossible.

Against protected opponents, this spell is useless. Either run, or get your dagger out (or better yet, a decent sling or crossbow) Otherwise, run. A crossbow or sling is always going to be superior if a shield is in play. That is perhaps the most important aspect in the use of these spells: Gauge the protection of the opponent.

There is of course, one small advantage that should be addressed: Unlike a weapon, this can not be disarmed from your arsenal. (Unless of course, you are a wizard- guard your spellbook with your life)

The sensory spells:

Detect Poison:

1) Not applicable in any battle conditions. The range is too small to be of use even to find poison slime-cubes.

2) There are some civic applications of the spell. It will work out quickly if a person has been poisoned for instance, or if there is suspicion on a drink or food when someone has become ill and allow for prompt treatment. One can determine if a trap has a poisoned dart in it, or if there is a trap about.. five feet near you.

3) I can not see this spell as enjoyable. To use it harbours suspicion. Frankly, one must ask oneself, what company are you keeping that you need to use such a spell?

Conclusions:

A spell for the extraordinarily paranoid. Fear will probably kill you before anyone actually poisons you. If you are that worried something is poisonous, get someone else to eat it first. A scroll spell for very specific circumstances, and little else.

Detect Magic

The special ocular eyes of magic can last for about 5 minutes... but has a reasonable range.

1a) Some value. Under pre-battle conditions, one can use the spell to detect magical auras. However, the time limit is an issue. It does not help to know a person is wielding a magic sword unless you are attempting to gauge the strength of an opponent or are seeking that very sword.

1b) none. Why are you going to look for magic while your life is at risk? Get back to the fight or run! (Unless you are trying to find a portal to run to, of course.)

1c) Some value. As the pre-battle conditions, but beware the time limit. Perhaps it will help you avoid magical beasts.

2) Very valuable. Under civic circumstances, one can get a general idea of the magical auras around a place. It will help you detect valuable items, especially in places where you would not expect it. Use it for shopping, I found a lovely pair of shoes this way (I just couldn't afford it.)

3) This magic is highly enjoyable. Who would not wish to see the auras of magic? It makes one feel closer to the raw weave and of course, who can disagree with seeing things few get to see? This spell is also quite safe. An overwhelming aura of magic will not hurt you though I'm told it can be a bit of a shock...

Summary:

This spell will only be in effect on magic within your own location. If there is a portal where powerful magic is going on in the other side, you will not detect it despite only being a step away from it. You will of course, detect the portal. This has important consideration for scrying scenarios. It is a very valuable spell to have. If you are a true mage, you need to be the eyes of magic... keep this spell for it is going to help you very often.

Read Magic

1) Not Applicable in any battle situation.

2) Possibly the best cantrip of the civil spells. This will help you identify scrolls if little else, and will save a huge amount of gold. It will let you read magic that is otherwise unreadable. It is used as a gateway by other mages to vast stores of knowledge, not fit for the mundane.

3) As with the other detection spells, this is enjoyable. To know things that were unknown... to read and understand something that others have not... but beware, for certain words harbour madness. (but then, isn't a little madness also fun?)

To be continued.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Today's experiment I call 'the Value of Life'

I explore the connection between the value of life, and survivability. I am testing the theory that things that have greater value, tend to be those who survive. This is also connected to 'life potential'. Essentially, those who have the most directions they can take in life, offer greater value. However this is offset by the belief that they can actually achieve those ends.

Our testing conditions will be: Summoned Wolf, vs Giant Rats.

It is well known that a single wolf can kill a human being, and even a number of starting adventurers. I suspect even an injured wolf, would kill possibly three of them but this might be the upper limit. Therefore we will assert the condition that one wolf, is worth three commoners, give or take by the life survivability proportionality to life worth equation.

A wolf is summoned, and made to fight against five giant rats. The rats quickly surround the canine, and it hows in pain. Clearly their bite might be causing a poison. I am inspecting the wolf under invisible conditions, trying not to get involved in the battle. I am observing the battle and approximating the time it takes for death to occur. From my best guess, it took twenty seconds for the wolf to die. In total, it managed to kill two rats in this time taking ten seconds each. A second wolf is summoned, and a similar result occurs taking thirty seconds to kill two more rats, before dying.

From the experiment, the following can be established.

The value of a single wolf is approximately two rats.

Five rats are about ten wolves.

When extrapolated to the value of a commoner, it is found that a commoner is equivalent to a rat and therefore, two commoners can kill the summoned wolf. This is about half a starting adventurer's worth.

A disappointing set of results, but a valuable learning experience. The summon wolf spell is good for a distraction. If it is to be used in an attack it must be augmented with magic, or will be worthless.

I now pick up the rat pieces, and consider what further experiments I can do.