Chapbook of a Wizard

Member created stories, poems, & other creative work.
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Chapbook of a Wizard

Post by talonbreak »

This is my OOC bio and beginning history.

Name: Samuel Kirkson
Race: Human
Born: DR 1361
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 180lbs
Eyes: Green
Skin color: Pale White
Hair: Black
Facial Hair Style: Beard
Nationality: Halruaa
Deity: Red Knight
Initial Alignment: Lawful Good
Classes: Wizard; Cleric
Prestige class goal: Mystic Theurge http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClass ... heurge.htm: a combination of arcane and divine casting.
Hobbies: Calligraphy, Hunting, Games of Strategy
Habits: Always tries to stay dry and clean
Languages: Common, Halruaan, Draconic, Elvish, Hin
Weapon of Choice: Longsword
Family: Father Teslo Kirkson (wizard); Mother Sarah Kirkson (expert); Older Sister Wendy Kirkson (wizard); Younger Brother Benjamin Kirkson (adept)

Possible Plot-Hook Ideas and Misc Facts:
Intrigued by the Shades and his ancient Netherese ties.
Believes creating an undead binds that person's soul and denies them an afterlife.
Dislikes/fears heights and being bound.

History:
Samuel comes from a long line of wizards. Currently his family is lead by his great great uncle Zalathorm Kirkson. Samuel has never met his distant relative, nor does he have any favor due to his relation but his family name is always being scrutinized due to Zalathorm being the current Netyarch.

At a young age Samuel was tested and found with a mind for magic. He grew up under strict discipline and very high expectations. To ease this routine, Samuel often went out into the country and hunted game with his Mother Sarah. He grew up with a touch of wanderlust and a respect for the outdoors.

When Samuel turned twelve he was taken to Halarahh to begin more serious tutorship. Samuel passed his apprenticeship with marks but not as high as his Father Teslo desired. As when he was younger, Samuel looked for ways to evade this pressure but not directly rebel. He begin playing games of strategy and met his mentor Devon Malton Paladin of the Red Knight. Devon took Samuel under his wing and schooled him in the teachings of the Red Knight. Samuel had to give his primary energies to wizardry but made the time to become a lay priest.

When Samuel turned eighteen he completed his apprenticeship and was accepted as a wizard. He longed to finish his studies as a lay priest and become vested as a full priest. He discussed with his family his future path and with some debate decided to take up adventuring. His Father allowed this but demanded he must keep up correspondence and only marry who the family chose. Samuel immediately booked passage on a Flying ship and headed north to Waterdeep.
Last edited by talonbreak on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
Fror Ironstar~ eaten by a Dire Boar at Friendly Arms Inn
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Re: Chapbook of a Wizard

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

It has been to long since I wrote my thoughts down. I will start from the beginning as much has happened.

I remember my Father's words "if you are to leave and become an adventure, I have these conditions: I will choose your bride. You may not become indentured into anther's service with out my leave. You must continue your wizardly studies." Simple commands I agreed too but they have been pressed several times already.

I booked passage with my second cousin Flynn's airship and rode to Waterdeep the city of Splendors. The ride was uneventful besides a drunken gnome jumping off. I must say the city lives up to its name. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people crammed into it's walls. The airship brought very little notice. It's like these people have seen everything and nothing surprises them. I bid Flynn goodbye and he wished me well. Some how I got on a caravan and was taken to a place called the Heartlands. There I found a legendary bridge, a Red Wizards Enclave and a traveling minstrel named Wolf.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I remember getting my head on straight a little and walking a few days to the coast. Their is a decent road system in these lands. I arrived at a large city called "the Gate". Seams many people prefer the vernacular to more formal tongues. I hope in my travels I do not pick up on this bad habit. I spend a lot of time finding work but am surprised I have met few adventures as they are called. I assume there are a lot about but I can not seem to make friends.

I have heard there is a large Wizard school in the north and I booked passage to go find it. I arrived in some port called Corwell and was attacked by several highway men as I walked the lands. I was able to sleep them all. I tied them up to question them but one of then head butted me and escaped. Close call for both of us depending on your point of view. I eventually found my way north and arrived at a walled town named Rivermoot.

Rivermoot had a lot of work but again I met few adventures. I tried to be more outgoing like that Wolf fellow but I have had little luck. I made my way north and to my surprise found a temple to the Red Knight. I train as a lay priest for quite some time back home but here I had freedom to take my vows. I soon completed a few tasks they offered and was given my vestments as a priest. Was rather excited for me as this was why I left home in the first place. Father wish me to not split my time and to focus as a wizard should. I ventured north to Silverymoon and found the College I sought.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

Silverymoon reminded me a lot of home. Magic was everywhere, the bridge is a fine feat I must say. I enrolled in school, what surprised me was most classes had variable attendance. Professors are available upon a set schedule but you could attend when you wished. I could travel and attend when I wanted! Quite splendid. I finished a few classes quickly but was stumbled by the basic Divination class. The instructor gives no instructions and expects you to finish it. I felt he must be my Fathers long lost twin. After some discussion with him he said to go get another copy of the class instruction but never said were to go. Typical. I will discuss this with the Dean one day.

After completing a mad dash of classes I needed a break. I remembered that bard Wolf and took a ship to Waterdeep. Waterdeep lost its shine this trip, I met a barbarian that was bullying everyone. I stood up to him and he almost took me out with one punch... There was this different looking gnome that seamed to stand up to this bully too. Until he drew a magical sword on us. Man wrong day to me us. The gnome vanished and I ran. Proud day but as the Red Knight teaches "Strategy not Pride"
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I arrived a few days later in the Heartlands and found Wolf again. He knew a ranger named Delia. She really knows the land. Wolf asked her to go find some undisturbed ruins to explore. She had a few places for us to possible search. Now that is something I came north to do! We ended up traveling with two interesting people: a hin wizard and a Kelemvor Priest. The hin was after coin and wanted orc heads. Not sure what the priest wanted. Delia ended up leading us to a spot several orc tribes fought it out at. We had a few wolves to talk with but got over a dozen heads. Delia really impressed me, knowing the land was a strategy I had to learn. She agreed to teak me dependent if I could learn.

I then went to Baldur's Gate again. Did some more work. On the way to Gullykin I met a rather powerful priest named Bu. He told me about his faith and the near by ruins. Warned me not to cast magic there as it was cursed. As we were standing about a hin ran up and said a dragon robbed him! A dragon? Bu turned into a panther and we went to investigate.

Sure enough a green dragon was upon the roadway eating the hin's horse. Bu went and addressed the dragon. It did not go well, the dragon demanded tribute or it would kill us all. Bu out of his own kindness gave it his magical ring. That seamed to appease it and it flew off.

Learned two things that night, Bu is quite the fellow and Dragons are not to be trifled with.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I have continued helping Wolf in the Heartlands. We performed a bit or two, well he performed and I cast cantrips to augment his good work. It was a great success and the bridge folk liked it. We earned a few coins and a little fame that day.

Later that week, rumors of orcs attacking caravans increased. i was shooting the bull with Wolf again and a huge plum of smoke appeared close to the Bridge. We debated on investigating and decided to go check that night.

We arrived at the Zent camp outside of town and it was a piece of carnage. Zents and orcs bodies laid everywhere. Most half cook as the brush fire consumed them. I creeped up close and noticed that the orcs bodies were stiff. Bodies that fresh shouldnt be like that. Wolf crept up too and he confirmed, the orcs were drug there and made to look like a raid. I started tracking the area and discovered giant footprints. We heard drums in the distance and I quickly cast detect magic to loot the camp. What a find! Eighty platinum and magic full plate. Sadly the plate wore the markings of Bane.

Wolf said he was going to go hide out as a local noble wanted his head or some such. It was a find night alright!
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I have been traveling a lot, must say I am almost use to being on a boat so long. At least I have time to pen scrolls and study my spell book. Oh I did find a smith in Hillsedge that would remove the banite symbols on my plate. Will take two tendays to complete. I plan on blessing the armor and soaking it in holy water once ready to claim it. I will also of course tint it red.

Baldur's Gate has been about the same. Have not seen Bu since the Dragon. I did make a friend of sorts named Mossin. He is a cleric of an air god. Rough and tough but he saved my life when a bunch of banites jumped me. Reminds me of Dalia a bit. He also is a good tracker. Between them both training me, I may make a good woodsman.

I went north to Silverymoon again. Made my way to the College and completed some more classes. Divination continues to plague me... I have begun looking into the way of the Mystic. Something I read about. Mystic Theurge is the proper name. There are some that find balance between their faith and spellbook. Able to blend the two. That is something I wish to go after. I will start asking around if any know of such.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I found myself in the Heartlands again... But I heard that the northern keep has fallen to some mad noble and that... Wolf has been captured... I quickly tried to gather more information but no one would talk. Chaos has descended on that land and I am at a loss on what to do. I left their without purpose and sadness for the fate of my friend. The little I did learn is that he was killed and quartered... Who would do such?

I went to the Gate and put my mind to work. Oh I had my new armor now. Bright Red and it really stands out. Not to mention it stops a lot of blades reaching my skin! I met wit Mossin some and the Constable named Drake. Nice fellow that one. I was walking a patrol in the cloakwood and then an emissary from the Red Knight appeared!!!

The emissary said my deeds were noticed and I was chosen to complete a work. The spawn of darkness were threatening the lands and I must meet with others to route this evil. I was given a new name "The Red Rook" and the emissary gave me a mastered sword to help me... I was told to arise and go to the Beregost temple and meet others. I quickly ask a question to the emissary, What did the spawn loath? He answered deeds of honor.

I stood there in awe a few moments it seemed. I gathered my wits and went to the Lathanderite Temple. When I arrived the high priest was there. Three others also came and I discovered they all had similar callings. The high Priest said he had a vision.

A skeletal scale held a red rook and blazing sword in each opposed pan, with silver eyes above looking down.

This dreams seamed to describe the four called. We discussed history of the Bhaal spawn and devised a way of meeting. One of our member needed something attached to the spawn and I suggested gathering water from the Bridge in the Heartlands. We broke company and I left for the bridge.

A ten day later I returned and gave the water to our company to legend lore. I await more news.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*Written in Halruaan*

I have waiting for a while with no further news and I decided to wander a bit. I went back to Silverymoon and studied some more. I made some progress with Transmutation and Abjuration. I wandered a bit and found Luke again. We went to the Silverwoods and discovered the patrols have been called off for now. What am I going to do with this unsigned piece of paper? We both went into the woods to scout some. Luke quickly smelled a stench and we discovered a dwarven body. The lad had been killed by who knows what. The tracks around him were rained out and I could not tell. When we searched the body I discovered a small rune. I quickly recognized it as a ward key of some sort. Must have been missed by who ever killed him. I dug a hole and buried the dwarf. Small comfort I could add but it is the least I can do. We continued on and scouted most of the woods. Lots of hungry rats and kobolds.

We returned to town and I continued my studies.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I am growing frustrated with my Divination Professor. DO I need innate mystical powers to discern what to do in the Basic class?? NO clue or instructions and he expects me to solve his riddle... I tried to find the Dean but discovered he was killed a few years back... A College without a Dean? Who pays these professors? Perhaps I should apply.

I left and went to the Moon Shaes. I ran into that Deep gnome again and he knew of work in Skaug. Some undead were choking up the crypts there. I ran into Mossin and a few others. We went down and fought wave after wave of skeletons and zombies. Occasionally running into something a bit more dangerous. We found a secret door and explored it. At the end of the hall was some sort of undead necromancer. We killed all its minions but could not hurt the thing. Rerin used a scroll of some sort and managed to at least cut into it. Mossin called for us all to retreat and we did so. We got out safety and split the little spoils we found. I insisted we return but they would have nothing to do with it. I was able to get out of Rerin what spell he used and discovered the undead thing could be hurt by magical means.

Next day I studied my spells and went back to Corwell. I found a lass named Kalix and enlisted her to come back tot he crypts. I enspelled myself and prepared several magic missiles. I confronted the "Lich" as people were now whispering about and quickly ended it. Kalix was a bit surprised how easily it went down and we looted the rest of the crypt together. Quite a find I must say. Wish my earlier companions stuck around. I do not think the thing we fought was a lich. Perhaps a spell stiched undead. As it could cast a few spells but never bantered with us as powerful arrogant things often do.

Wish so much success under my belt I decided to look into some other work. Bug Bears were distressing Ironkeep. I took a boat ride and landed. I searched high and low to no avail. All I found was a collapsed cave. I returned to Corwell and enlisted aid of several adventures. We returned and cleared out the rubble. Inside the crypts had not been disturbed for some time. Defiantly not what we were looking for. We explored it and killed some undead. Then a small floating skeletal figure approached us. It complained we had ruined it's experiment and demanded we give back what we found. I was unsure what it was and talked to it a while. I discovered it was indeed a lich of some sort and I believe it was a gnome when it was alive. It wish to trade spells, until one of my companions rush and hit it with his sword to little effect. Well it id...

Out of Game: Rain drops scatter on the page.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

Well had to find some cover. Guess I should not write out in the open like that again.

So the gnome lich thing got anger but I calmed it down some. I got it to start bragging about its power and we quickly discovered it was not everything it claimed to be. We all charged it and a good fight began. Well a frustrating fight was its hide resisted almost all our attacks. I used all my healing on it but still it fought. One of our number then ran out the cave... Must say I hate that. Someone throw some acid on it and it finally dropped. We searched the cave but could not find its lair. We at least discovered his worn personal effects and left.

I got a little emberessed soon after. Some of the Adventures started talking about me and how I have stood up to two lichs. I do not know what to do with such recognition. Little did I know more recognition was brewing for me.

I wanted to get out of the spot light so I went back north. In Silvery Moon I discovered Silver Knight Commander Alya Ironbeard wanted words with me. I was quite nervous and wonder what crime I had committed. I responded to the summons and discovered she was very proud of me?! My actions treating that dwarf fairly had won her some respect. She wanted the rune ward I found and I quickly gave it to her. She asked what reward I wanted and I said duty is its own reward. She didn't completely accept that and I mentioned I would like to meet a dwarven crafter perchance as I wanted to acquire a mithril shield. She said that was easy enough to arrange and gave me a letter to give to the Marshall of Rivermoot. She said in the next moon or so we would go north.

I was happy to get a chance to shine a bit and show my heart. I mean if I was the dwarfs, I would want such a valuable ward key returned. The Commander said it could access the deeper secret places of the Citadell as I assumed. To me this is simple. treat people the way you wish to be treated. If I lost something so precious, I would want it returned.

That was a really pleasant day for me I must say.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I went back to the Isles. Met an interesting Mercenary named Zyrus. He was asking around about the Bug Bears too. He disturbs me a bit. He seams to have honor but will take any job regardless of consequences. I soon found this was not completely true. We were approached by some drunk saying he say a mist turn into a man. We investigated and his tale was true. A vampire wizard was sneaking into Corwell and doing some business. To me it seamed it has a specific goal, it wanted to acquire an item. Zyrus said it was just out looking to lure us some were alone and charm or turn us. We did follow it outside the walls and it offered us coin and magic. Zyrus demanded it tell us who we would be working for and the feral vampire refused. He then left. I tried to get it to talk more to reveal its goals but it tried to dominate my mind, so I expedited my retreat and quickly caught up to Zyrus.

To many undead lately...

I did try and contact the Dwarves at High Home. Figured if I was going to a sister city of there they would want perhaps mail sent or some such. The dwarves had nothing to do with me. I actually insulted them inadvertently and quickly excused myself. Perhaps once I am more trusted at the Citadel of Felsbarr other dwarves will accept me?
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I went back to Silverymoon, the boat Captains know me by name now. My red armor does stand out a bit I have found. When I were my robes, people assume I am a Red Wizard of Thay. Ha!

I had gahered some gifts for the dwarves. Some fine tobac, Fire Ale, Luskien Ale from my homeland and an enchanted steel ingot. I met with the Commander and we sojourned north. Along the way I asked all sorts of question on how to act and what to say. She made it very clear she was sticking her neck out for me. The last person she brought north made a fool of himself and her. The road was empty and we quickly arrived.

The Citadel was a wonderful built lair of death. They had wonderful strategy laying out the entrance. Ballista's covered the roads and guard houses gave appropriate choke points and quick retreats. All of this was even before we reached the front gates! Hazzar to you dwarven lords for your cleverness! The Commander told me how the Giants were attacking of late and how this stratagem had held them off.

We entered the halls and I followed her closely. We moved deep within the Citadel and came to the forges. I was introduced to Master Forger Durnan. The Commander told him what I have done and I turned over the rune and my gifts. The Master Forger was so impressed he said we should talk plainly. I didn't know what to say. I was worried to not insult anyone and honor the Commander. The gave me some dwarven ale and I drank it. Surprisingly it went down smoothly and everyone looked at me impressed. That calmed me down a bit. We all then had a wonderful time discussing this and that. The Master Smith insited I mention any favors I may ask and I mention my desire of Mithril and why. He accepted the request and said he would have to consult with the counsel of dwarves. We ended our visit pleasantly and soon left. Outside the Commander stopped me and said I had done exceedingly well. I had risen above what she expected of me and that was a very hard thing to do. I bowed and was very happy.

She escorted me to the gate and said she had to stay behind. I left and had an uneventful ride down the mountain.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

After such a wonderful trip to the Citadel, I took some time to do some reading in Silverymoon. Beside from Persephone the cleric of Selune, I have heard no mention of Mystic Theurges. After a lot of weird looks from the librarians, I found a book that has some reference to what I sought. Some creatures have innate ability to cast magic. Dragons for one. Red Dragons it seams can cast divine and arcane and it seams certain races of Nagas also have affinity for duel casting like that of Mystic Theurges.

With such a slim reference, I decided to read more about Nagas. This brought me back to the ancient stories of what is called the creator races. I found several books that talked about them. One said their were five races that started on Toril: Sarrukh, Batrachi, Aearee, Fey and Humans. I found another book that said this was untrue that there are only three creator races and Dragons were thrown into the mix. From this I chose to investigate the Sarrukh and did find some lore about Nagas.

The Nagas were created by this older race. There are many different kinds it seams. One I found were called Banelar Nagas. They like Dragons, can cast divine and arcane. The little I could find on them said they worships Bane or Cyric. That is not something I would be willing to peruse so back to square one it seams. I did some more reading and found a Naga called Iridescent Nagas. They are of noble character and seek out lore and beauty. That could be a possibility. All my reading about Nagas mentioned Chult a bit. I recall my Father went there. He had some dealing with a Wild Elf tribe, he did not talk to much about it. He earned their trust, guess that is were he learned their tongue and taught me.

Well Dragons. From my readings most of them can cast of both divine and arcane. Red and Golds have the most ability but from what I gather their spells are not a true blend. I am not sure, the books were to vague.

I went to the librarian and asked for book of famous people. Perhaps I could find someone in the north who was a Mystic Theurge. I was amazed at the volumes of books I was given. Named and dates and names... After what seamed a ride, I did find a name: Corinna Lathankin. She was a famous Vampire hunter who retired to Waterdeep. Well that is a direct start.

I am a bit tired of all the researching. I will rest a few days and then go to Waterdeep.

Out of Game: references I used were Serpent Kingdoms; http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Creator_Races; http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Corinna_Lathankin
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters:
talonbreak
Dire Badger

Post by talonbreak »

*written in Halruaan*

I went to Waterdeep and searched for this Vampire hunter but to no avail. This city is just t big! I went to The Spires of the Morning but I did not get such in the way of answers. No one knew me and I was politely told to move along. i do know the Head priest in Beregost and the squire Caine there. I will go and pay them a visit for a reference.

There and back again! Glad I like traveling.
Current Characters:
Samuel Kirkson

Dead Characters: