Raven's Logbook

The Crew of the Queen Robyn is a player group operating on The Moonshaes, with plot centered on seafaring intrigue in the service of Queen Alicia Kendrick. The premise of the campaign is that all of the player characters are privateers, and joining the campaign involves being recruited to serve on The Queen Robyn.

Moderators: Zelknolf, FoamBats4All

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Raven's Logbook

Post by orangetree »

Sea-Log book of Raven.

This is a strange set of circumstances have found myself in. What are my motives? I am but a Raven, seeking gold in the high seas. I have the crown at my side, and fellow buccaneers to sweep the sea of the pirate scum that tormented and enslaved human- and hin alike.

Sister, I think you would have been proud of me. So, let's get on with the log.

Apparently, there has been a very busy fish under the water, that looks like a sea-elf. A female, who wriggled and thrust herself free from our attempt to capture her. Slippery she was, like an eel wrapped up in butter. Perhaps I should have cast a magic spell... but sleep would not affect an elf, and would have harmed my companions. So she evaded us, and returned to freedom.

Swim while you can little fish...

It is in the isle of Snodown we arrived at following our recent and greatest failure to date. A curious place with a rich Amn flavour, to the East of Gwynneth isle. We arrived in the town of Westphal, to speak of the sea-elf's identity and to learn more of her... dealings. Good buisness to be had indeed here. I found our party gathered in the Salty air Tavern. Comfort was to be had here, and I suppose everything for a price. Though I did not find my feet here, and remained silent with tracing steps. Humans here, large and numerous...

It was here that I saw Vug. A half orc, with a face ugly as sin, yet perhaps this is simply the gaze I reflect into his eyes. For I am sin to him. Should I feel shamed that I partly delight in this? The idea that someone could be just so afraid of my humble spark of power... No, these are unforgiving isles for those who may flaunt magic. I know his fear, it is the same fear I hold.

He drank from a mug befitting his size, and was surly to those around him. I draw some comfort that he is my ally. If he would remain so, I would be happy in that.

Ah, Then I see Chales, enjoying the more refined tastes of red wine, as well as Bahatur drinking an amnian stout.

I have had a few cousins from Amn. The hin there thrive as the humans worship coin. Size matters not, only how deep one's pockets run. So I have been told, anyway. There doesn't seem to be a particular rule on what makes humans act a certain way. Like children without guidence.

It would seem Bahatur had been busy. He had spread news of the fish-beasts. Their actions and general motives remain a mystery. An ally of pirates? Random attacks? I know not. Also the sea-elf... who is she? What is her position in all this? An emissary or the chess player? I only know that when we see them, we must kill for they will drag us to the sea if they were inclined. Our attempts to gain more insight into their society... while much was learned, it seemed mostly irrelevant. At least until the right time, anyway. They are but monsters.

I got to talk a little with Bahatur. The poor fellow wanted to know who we worked for. Don't we all? I said ultimately the Queen but... is that a lie? We are all in this for our own selfish desires, are we not? We all want something... and Chales was after gold. The same as me really.

Gods know I'm not the brightest soul in the world. Though spending time with my kin in lowhill... I feel their light sparked something inside me once more. If nothing else, I feel more like myself.. a little more whole. I carry a ring, the light of Lowhill upon my finger.

Chales was assured he would be paid, eventually.

But of course, this depends on our success. We have had nothing but failure as yet. Our attempt to capture a pirate has failed. Our attempt to secure a ship resulted in its destruction of all goods and possessions. Our attempt to capture the sea elf, failed spectacularly.

If I were me, I wouldn't pay me. I'd just have to grab what I can.

Still I hope for the glint of loot and gold. I spoke of the legend of the Queen Robyn... stories always facinated me. Especially a ghost story. I lay awake in my bunk, wondering if I can hear the ghosts... if I could just open my senses to them. Yet their whispers if any, are blind to me.

I really want to know what happened to them.

It would seem we have run into a new companion! A druid by name of Damien. I know little about him, save that he is quite informal, jovial and a healer. I introduces myself to him and hope to learn more as we adventure together. The poor man has suffered a bout of madness and desired to join us. Join in the madness I say, we need to find a cure for it at some point. Might as well be with your fellow mad folk.

So we don't have a lot to go on. However it would seem that Darius was forthcoming and found something in the rumour mill we might as well follow to put an end to these sea-elf attacks.

'A ship named The Black Scale was supposed to be still trading with the fish-folk- oh pardon me 'sahuagin', but left port early supposedly heading to 'iron keep.'

There are short straws and then there's... this.

We are joined by other members of the crew and regroup on the Queen Robyn, and her captain,Yusef. I'm encouraged that he seems to recognise the name of the ship. Maybe it's a step in the right direction.

If we are lucky we'll run into more fish-beasts. We're just like the watch. Or I suppose, Sea-Watch. Maybe by the end of all this, we'll be heroes.

- - -

The captain is no doubt a little annoyed by some demand of payment for services so far. But his face was as smooth as the wrinkled sea, and he offered coin for the capture of these beasts. A reminder that we have yet to succeed in our charges yet.

The Black Scale has done nothing apparantly wrong. So we have to be 'investigative'. No killing, and I had to glance to Vug at this and tried to keep... him calm. Trying to keep a giant calm was nerve wracking. I fear I'm going to have to learn how to swim before someone throws me overboard for being an 'annoying hin.'

The captain says that the Black Scale is known for dubious business, often the kind of activities Northmen would turn a blind eye to. Iron Keep in particular... would protect them. A complication to remember.

So we set sail. I'm on 'rope coiling; duty. Why do we have so much rope to coil? I'm really starting to suspect it's to keep me out of trouble. I hope I can learn some of this sailing art... magic is wonderful, but I don't want to rely on it forever. My hands feel rubbed raw from all this. Hours I spent on it, and my stomach is turning queesy. Still the crew is happy and in good spirits. I stay out of the way though. I fear how crazy humans can get still... I've seen their madness, up close.

Then we hear of a ship... with no colours flying.

This is always how it starts... a ship that refuses any identification is always a threat. Most ships would try to sail away... but we were the Sea-Watch, and this was a war-ship under command of Her Majesty Queen Alicia. This ship will not turn and they know it.

Rule One of the sea... if we can see them, they can see us. Usually. Their reaction is to keep a distance. Clearly hiding something... then the captain calls the charge, as we increase speed to them, like predators on the ocean. I crank up my crossbow as much as I can, and ready to meet the threat... though I am shaking. I can not let weakness slow me down though. My allies have need of magic. I made a quick assessment, but my concern of how Vug looked at me still lingers. I decide to ask first... but only one was willing for me to ward him against arrows.

I perform my wards, to those I think are at most risk.

Vug goes through his 'slapping' game... I suppose it is to help his muscles wake up? In any case, he was suitably aroused to the fight after a good three slaps. Truly the Orc blood has some.. strange desires and this is noteworthy for future study...

The ship eventually closes the distance. It knows it can't get away from us... and I hear the heartbeat of the ship. A steady drum, and it shivered my bones. This was the sound of war... blood, and death. The sea will scream for their souls.

I at first think.. we should demand their surrender, but they choose to shoot with arrows. Their arrows fall into the ocean...and so, the first spoils go to Umberlee. For now she has seen us... and is watching. Watch you Sea hag, just watch...

They used grappling hooks to pull our ships together. Joined we were now, as one. Those Northmen frothed at the mouth. Have they even see me? Do they know... who I am? What I am? I shoot one with my arrow... and by fortune, my bolt cut him through the eye.. and he was down, instantly. They must not have seen me, for they must have thought it was Chales. I see a danger, as the Northmen load an arrow, ready to launch a similar attack on him. The arrow upon Chales looked to strike true on his torso. But not today... for I called upon my power, and in an instant the arrow was deflected. There was perhaps the brieft moment of confusion as we cut them down quickly. We summoned beasts to take out the stronger ones...

Oh how many died...

So now, the ship was ours to inspect. Quarters for ten crew men, dead. There is no sign of who this crew was, or any markings at all. Worse, there was no map. No log book. Nothing to note where this ship had been, or where it was going.

This scum had thrown away any possibility of identification!

We loot what we can. It's ours now given we can not find an owner. I do wonder who the ship will go to.. but prizes like this, tend to go to the Queen anyway. It takes too much gold to maintain a ship and keep her working, so I was not as optimistic as Vug was in keeping her. I did.. giggle inside at the captain's flat 'no' to this.

We are left with questions and no answers. What was this ship's mission? Why did they attack so ferociously? Why did they hide everything before attacking us?

To me, this was a clear case of suicide. They knew they were going to die... but these people had a reason. The others disagree. The other theory is that they wanted to attack us for the 'glory' of it. I wish I knew enough of humans to dismiss this theory, but I know enough that humans are pretty damn crazy.

There is nothing left but to continue to Iron Keep, and to investigate the Black Scale. The unknown ship is taken back to Corwell, where it will go a thorough examination and hopefully returned to it's owners... or sold by the crown.

- - -
We arrive upon Iron keep, the central power of Oman Isle. This is the heart of Northerner's culture. These barbarians... I don't know how their actions can be tolerated. I decided our best bet is to go to the local inn..and I am surprised by how warm and inviting it was inside. I even see fellow hin. I join them, and talk a little about the sea-elves asking if they had seen them in the area. They say no, nothing like that has happened.

Chales sought the ship in the dock, but couldn't find anything.

Darius, as always, seems to have the better luck. He found out quite a bit from the innkeeper.
'
Apparently there was a ship with a 'business' look about it. The Black Scale is known to come by once a month and deal in iron and weapons mostly. It was due to arrive in Iron Keep in three or four days too and are encumbered by the heavy metal from Westphal...

So now, we have our conundrum. How do we face this ship? There are two options... out in the sea, or in port and 'talk' to them civilly- as in... without any jurisdiction. The advantage of the sea is that we can represent a power, but in a port things get a bit more muddy.

If we decide to confront them at sea, we have no proof they are up to anything punishable by the crown. Certainly not for their activities in Westphal. If they are doing anything, it must be done in secret in the middle of the ocean. We also must be absolutely cautious... for these 'traders' may well be prepared. This will not be like those idiots we fought at first...

Attempting to find them at sea is not guaranteed. If they wish to hide, they need not use the designated sea-paths. Though with their slow speed, we have the advantage of time to seek them. The suspicion on them is simply that... suspicion. We need to investigate, not kill...

I certainly hope to write of success in the future. .. and not how we buttered a crew that was misrepresented in rumour alone.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Re: Raven's Logbook

Post by orangetree »

Crossing the bridge...

Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

(Awesome)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I was granted a great boon in treasure by the captain.

He has provided me with a garment, the robe of a battle mage. I have named this garment 'Captain's honour'. I am unsure I can convey my feelings to such a gift. Truth is I always had trouble expressing my feelings. I am of course, excited... nervous... and perhaps even, a dreaded feeling of expectation that comes from such a gift. It is the first time someone has seen something of worth in me. I am not the bumbling witch, but a blood mage of arcane talent. Recognition of this has certainly elevated my self worth.

I am concerned by Vug. I clearly unsettled him, by introducing my familiar. Of course, I related the connection I have to it... a feeling not unlike most who practice the arcane. I have long surmised that the familiar is so much more then what we describe in lore, for only one who has one can understand the profound connection to another.

The animal is innocent... it remains innocent, forever. Thus, With a familiar, part of us always remains innocent. When we die, it is released.

It is an aspect of our soul, that can not be harmed. To use a familiar is to incur terrible risk to one's self. Our heart and spirit is exposed through them. They are not meant to attack, nor even to spy. Though I know many a wizard and mage consider the familiar simply 'another spell' to be used... and even, abused. They are pushed to the physical limits but few take time to appreciate the metaphysical nature, of this wonder. The relationship is to be explored, certainly... but one must never bring harm to the familiar. For it is... me. Inside. My innocence, the child at play... the curious and unbound, animalistic in desire. Oh yes, how I enjoy watching through those eyes. To seek and catch mice, play with my food, and pur contently when I know I am getting, exactly what I desire...

On my journey here, I am awestruck by the beauty of the moonshaes. I have never seen so much of nature. Plants seem to sing as if happy. Even the sea, stretching into the horizon... lovely islands. Yes.

I am pleased to report an actual victory. Our target was unfortunately killed. A shame. A new species to study though, and I must admit I am curious to see what secrets her corpse might have. I wonder if I will get to look at it.

I have also seen that humans are 'very' fluid in who they serve. It is not something that would have occurred to me. I am curious to see if this fluidness extends to their gods, and families too. Dare I say, to my allies? Perhaps I should be wary. Humans (and orc blooded humans) are... unpredictable, even amongst the norms of a society that lives and grows and dies as we do. Still, I do like all the books and writings they leave behind.

I don't know what our next mission is to be. I hope it will be a success. I feel a sense of honour and pride in where I am working, and hope it will continue.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Our latest mission is to investigate a ship of undead. Apparently they are capable of more then shambling on the deck, and might even be communicative. How strange is that? To be and not be is something sure... but to speak with no soul? Every word said is past their dying breath... for there is no breath.

I am curious. Ever since I was locked in the necromancy classroom in the Lady's college, When I undertook the Necromancy exam I have- I must admit, held a certain fascination for things that 'should not be'. That can mean a lot of things. The Alien can be alluring after all. Demons should not be.. devils, made in our image of things that tantalise... I hope not to meet a demon, I have doubts I can resist their charm.

Where was I? Oh yes, the undead. Oh they are monsters... I know that. It is not simply that they should 'not be', but are the antithesis of all life. Lady Ostelle is a most enlightened woman (Provided she has her tea-cakes that is- gods help anyone that took that away from her) I learned from her practicalities and curious insight in the nature of the universe. Indeed my old mistress was herself a necromancer... a skill that terrified me, as much as it awed. Magic affects our lives, and there is something unique about magic that makes us become... something else on a fundamental level of our very life.

I know much of the undead, but I regret I did not prepare enough. I had the typical scrolls. Disrupt undead scrolls, potions of lesser restoration, but I was not prepared for diseases believing our healers could do with that while I took care of the arcane effects.

Sadly, though we repelled the undead, I regret to report to the captain that we were not good at working together and held some concerns. We had a new member, called Vulgar... and there was tension at adding another strong man, to our group. Half orc bloods always seem to seek dominance. Truly it was a fascinating study, to see how two half orcs interact. No doubt they see the worst of the other, and within themselves. Both outcasts, and have very similar personalities.

Halflings have a word for this, though I can not find a translation in the language of common. Bonds that are so frayed they can tighten and become either the noose on one's neck, or one's salvation to be pulled out from a pit of despair. Vulgar promotes the worst aspect in Vug, and Vug in turn seems to see it all as a challenge.

I would love to examine the psychological implications further. However, we have a mission and this is not conductive to our goals.

I am... angered that Vug threw his bottle of grug at me. I protected him from the presence of evil spells. An extraordinarily expensive scroll, and one that I doubt I can replace easily. Does anyone understand I have a budget to consider when throwing magic around? Sorcerery is not a cheap substitute for wizardry, it's expensive! My ward was un-thanked, and all he did was drench me in cheap booze.

I am unsure if I should complain to the captain. I wish to be able to stand on my own feet after all and not be bullied by this brute. If he thinks he can do this to me, what else would he try? Or maybe I should just forget it all, and hope he doesn't humiliate me again? It is not easy being a hin amongst the tall folk, they feel they can do 'anything' to us.

Vug was not even prepared for battle, with no armor and nothing. We are woeful in our attempts to secure the seas from undead and very lucky they didn't out right kill us for our stupidity. The Red Knight would be face palming. We played a game of chess without all the pieces on the board.

I suppose the question is now, where do we go from here? Tensions are high amongst the group, for no real reason. Besides simple personality clashes. The lustre of gold does not seem enough to satisfy pride, and I am at a loss on what I can do to help. The instinct I hold is of course, to ensure we are all in this together. Yet I have been humiliated before all the others. Perhaps my own presence is an indication of an even greater problem...

I look at my enchanted clothes. The captain's Honour... stained by Vug's grug. It is hard not to think he has insulted the captain as well, a man I respect for he does not know the attachment I feel towards this gift. But perhaps that is also a lesson. I should not draw attachment to 'things'... it is perhaps just my own way.

Incidently, I met a lovely woman in corwell. When my work is done on the seas, I think I will enjoy working with her on more civil matters. Perhaps my dream of being a teacher some day, can actually happen on the moonshaes. I can introduce magic to our kin... and Yondalla, might just be proud.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

To our next exploits upon the sea, we gather to fight undead.

I have decided to do a little solo field mission. Yes that's right, a mage on her own, in a field of undead... perhaps it's the salt water I've been drinking. Gods only know what possessed me, but I am supposed to be an expert on the supernatural, and what's more supernatural then the unliving? So yes, this is a field report in order to understand our enemies.

It did not take long to find a suitable subject, standing on the hill road to macsheen. I studied my subject under the guise of invisibility first and all the protective spells I could muster. I then got in close, to examine the specimen ensuring we were alone. It is a zombie, brought to existence through basic necromancy. It's build suggests it was once human. Most undead, tend to be human corpses, since they are the most populated species. There is no hair, and only the basic implements of clothing upon it. It seems unable to sense my presence, yet I do not believe it detects through sight and only a very basic sense of sight in those ghoulish eyes.

Naturally this is quite a fascinating study. I think it is attempting to sense the presence of life. Naturally, life existed everywhere and perhaps I was camouflaged by it more so then my invisibility spell. I kept my distance. I observed it take a few random steps. It is slow and lumbering. No doubt this is a key weakness to a zombie creature.

It is at this point, i decided to test weapons to kill the creature. I was confident I could out run it, if things became dire. Oh goodness, I was not prepared for this... my weapons did very little damage, and my wards failed the instant I attacked. It could now see me, though I retained my other defensive wards. In this state, I am a snow-globe... protected by an iron ring. Unlike warriors, who seem to have rubber underneath their metal. They bounce back.. I go 'cracky.' My attacks however were useless. The bolts I bought specifically to fight undead, did not work. It was then I grew to realise, that a flesh corpse as this was kept together almost like a hardened shell of magic. Bolts, would only do half as much damage, if even that when fired from a crossbow as mine. It matters not if the bolts are made of silver, or even blessed Mithril.

Immediately, i switch to the use of magic missiles. Now this was a more effective strategy. I pounded with every blast I could muster. However it had drawn in close to me, and I got to study it's method of attack. I successfully dodged it, and noted it was not actually that strong in melee... My wards would keep away normal attacks. however, there was a chance it could learn to throw me very hard resulting in injury. Two such attacks would be all that is needed to get my snow globe.

Fortunately, the fight was ended quickly, and I have learned the following:

Alchemical silver is not effective against every undead - only vampires. (Supposedly. I will need to test this out further. Volunteers will be needed.)

Zombies can be cut by swords to penetrate their hide... anything else, will barely harm them.

Further research indicates that enchanted weapons will not get through this hide either, unless this weapon is a blade of some kind.

Clearly, the best weapon I have personally, is magic. However, my personal stamina and capacity of the weave can let me take out only two of these creatures a day with magic alone under ideal situations... in less then ideal, probably only one. That will not be any good to a campaign against an army.

I can not see any way to improve my crossbow as yet mechanically. It's limitations are built in. I am rueful to consider attacking the undead with swords. Though we could achieve a victory, our capacity to heal ourselves is severely weakened. Circumstances demand we examine our tactics, and it is always better to kill at a distance especially if facing an enemy that can cause sickness with close encounters.

However, there is one possibility. The use of Fevored Iron bolts and arrows could be a useful stopgap to kill undead. Each arrow causes a small local fire, and will harm tissue. Though the undead do not feel pain, this damage will penetrate them. I will recommend we stock up on such ammunition on our next meeting.