Fishmen Plan

The Crew of the Queen Robyn is a player group operating on The Moonshaes, with plot centered on seafaring intrigue in the service of Queen Alicia Kendrick. The premise of the campaign is that all of the player characters are privateers, and joining the campaign involves being recruited to serve on The Queen Robyn.

Moderators: Zelknolf, FoamBats4All

Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Re: Fishmen Plan

Post by Xanthea »

Okay. After scouting around, Nioniel announces that there isn't a suitable harbour in the general area, with complete confidence that no one else will have better luck finding one than she did.

Need something else.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Got it. Dump chum in water. Attract sharks. Wait for fish men sign, then start trawling with big net. Even if nothing else, we'll have sharks for lunch, dinner, breakfast, and elevensies.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

So where do we figure out what to do next?
Is here a good place?
Zelk, could you give us the a quick summary on information we have?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I knew you were going to do that!
But if I asked I meant a bit more than that. :) (Assuming that's alright with you)
So... I'll try and be specific and hope I don't forget anything.
Anything I ask is by what the cap' can tell us (and maybe by what our socially skilled party member have a chance to learn if that's okay with you)

Crew number? Possible experience? Did they have plenty of sea battles, etc.
What sort of ship is the Black Scale? What defenses is it likely to have?
How far into sea are we likely to encounter it if we choose that route
and are there any "safe" ports to run to if things go south?
Who commonly stays on the ship on an overnight stay? A ship usually leaves guards? Is it common to have people try and break in, what should we commonly expect in that regard. (Again, cap's estimation... Chales would have no idea).

... Im sure there are other important variables for guesstimation, but that's all I have in this late hour. :)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The type of ship was confirmed and the size of the crew was estimated during play (a caravel and 20, respectively). You don't know the rest.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Alright then I do whatever Vug tells me.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The Hin Raven cobsiders the situation. "If I may suggest, we do not have to tip our hand since neither of us know what the other has... We could simply demand an 'inspection' of their goods perhaps because of tax concerns... such an approach might yield more light into the situation, without losing our only possible lead."
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Okay... Likely over thinking but, Chales would dismiss Raven's suggestion, saying, that as we were told, that is unlikely to happen. Especially not on Oman's. So...

He would suggest we stay here, wait for the ship, then try to see if they sell their cargo here, and what cargo might it be.
Then if possible try and chat the crew up and see what's their next location, or maybe sneak in to the ship and check their logs to see what's the next destination.
Hopefully next destination would be a friendlier place and there we would have better chances to try and interrogate, search the ship, or whatever.

However that would be long and less fun than fighting stuff, so that's okay too.
If we go with that than with protection from arrows and a faster ship we might have a good chance to avoid boarding till we've thinned them out sufficiently.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The thought was to confront them at Sea, away from the guards. You rather wait for them at port?

Raven shrugs at being dismissed, and goes back to meditating.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The captain would note that the only law outside of sight of land is the law you can enforce yourself; if nobody can see what's happening, nearly anything can happen to a ship and have it be dismissed as "the ship was lost at sea." This is a lot of why pirates are so hard to stop, and why the queen's navy includes loosely-managed ships like the Queen Robyn.

So catching them at sea and asking for an inspection without displaying martial superiority is unlikely to go smoothly.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Bribing some of the cargo handlers at the port to talk of the Scale's cargo shouldn't be that hard...

Bahatur would suggest to observe the ship and the crew, as inconspicuously as possible. What kind of cargo gets loaded / offloaded? Maybe listen in on the crew at their favorite "port relaxation" hole. Try to get an idea on what kind of people and in what kind of trade they are. Keep the Robyn on close enough alert to scramble after the Scale if they depart.

We are strangers in the port, and thus cannot casually observe closely and be inconspicuous. If the need/opportunity arises, Bahatur would play the part of an Amnian adventurer/trader in search of exotics. He would try to chat up some of the Scale's crew (not what he presumes officers), playing on their presumed greed. He would pretend to be buying exotics with little regard to origin. The kind of items they say they have, or they might "procure", could give insight into what are they up to.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

"Given we are out gunned at sea, and out numbered at port... I don't think we should engage them at this point," Raven said reluctantly. "Unless one of you can ask the rat's on the ship what's going on."
causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

" If you arent willing to take risks, you shouldnt be braving the waves on the slight innovation over an hollowed out tree that is called a sailing ship. Im happy to chance a hostile encounter, if they are guilty of collaboration with the saghuain theyll fight anyways and the problem of outfighting them is only postponed. Im not sure we will be able to finess what we wish to know about their ties out of them just by observing their actions in port. But i could be persuaded of the merits of taking action only after the black scale left irons keeps port. "
Darius leans back, listening to what the others have to say.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Raven Arches an eyebrow... takes a coin with the symbol of Tymora on it and flips the coin on her hand, then covers it. "Hmm..."