Today I had bacon

This is a forum for all off topic posts.
kid
Dungeon Master

Re: Today I had bacon

Post by kid »

ImStrokerAce wrote:I for one wish Rumble good fortune in making folks care about applying nutritional knowledge on a consistent basis.
May you have better luck than I have sir!
He can try and lure them into his boring sessions with the promise of bacon.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

The old bait and switch
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

<Rumple_C>: are you telling me you don't eat farmed meat?
No, Rumple, I am not telling you that. Im telling you that you, and everyone else, shouldnt be eating farmed salmon. The nasty, nasty pens in estuaries in which they are raised spread disease and parasites to wild, native salmonids and are responsible for declines ranging as to the near demise of fish runs and stocks in their immediate vicinitys.

Thats a pet cause of mine (we all have one!) as Im an avid salmon angler, as you well know.

Now, that aside...

Here you are harping on the benefits of folks applying proper nutritional knowledge to their eating habits while you are eating some of the most disgusting 'meat' on the market.

For starters:

1. Real salmon isnt naturally that orange color. The farms pump food dyes into the fish feed to try to make them look more like actual salmon flesh which is a nice, deep salmon pink.

The flesh of these farmed fish would be pale white without all this dye.

Next time you are in a market, compare the color of that farmed salmon to the color of wild (if its available).

2. These fish are fed cat food. And not even cat food, its mostly by product; you know, the shit that you dont even want to feed to your pet. "You are what you eat", right?

3. Those fat lines in the meat? Yeah, a real salmon has NO WHERE near that much fat.

4. These pens are pumped full of pesticides to combat sea lice infestations.

5. These fish are pumped full of antibiotics to combat disease -- they waters around the pens are absolute cesspools of pollution and disease.

6. Most of these 'salmon' dont even look like salmon. Seriously, they are frankenfish looking abominations.

I could on...

So, there you have it. In a time where 'organic' and 'antibiotic-free' and 'humanely raised' and etc etc etc is all the rage, its mind boggling people still eat this shit, and it is absolute shit.

But anyway, do, or eat, whatever makes you happy, be it unhealthy bacon or dyed, antibiotic-filled, pesticide-covered 'salmon'.

Ha.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Oh right, and you can Google all this stuff.

For instance,
David Suzuki Foundation: In January 2001, BBC News produced a program "Warnings from the Wild, The Price of Salmon." The program cited a pilot study conducted by Dr. Easton with the David Suzuki Foundation. The study found that farmed salmon and the feed they were given appeared to have a much higher level of contamination with respect to PCBs, organo-chlorine pesticides, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers than did wild salmon. It concluded contamination in farm fish comes seems to from the feed.

EWG Report: In July 2003, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) released a report stating that farmed salmon purchased in the United States contain the highest level of PCBs in the food supply system. In the report, EWG reported that farmed salmon have 16 times the PCBs found in wild salmon, 4 times the levels in beef, and 3.4 times the levels in other seafood. EWG recommends that consumers choose wild instead of farmed salmon, and they should eat an 8 oz serving of farmed salmon no more than once a month.

Science Journal: In January 2004, the journal Science warned that farmed salmon contain 10 times more toxins (PCBs, dioxin, etc.) than wild salmon. The study recommends that farmed salmon should be eaten only once a month, or perhaps only every two months, as they pose cancer risks to the human beings.
http://www.healthcastle.com/farmed-salmon.shtml

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA324437

Just a couple links that popped up.

Also,

If youre interested.

And yes, of course there is disagreement out there. So you can make your own (hopefully informed) decisions on the matter.

Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Ha ha.
To truly whet your appetite, I can’t skip the added ingredients you’ll get with a farmed fillet: dioxins, PCBs, fire retardants (those da-n things are everywhere, aren’t they???), pesticides (especially for sea lice), antibiotics, copper sulfate (to take care of algae on the nets), and – oh yeah – canthaxanthin (a dye associated with retinal damage used to make gray farmed fish various shades of “wild” pink).
Many assessments have found fewer omega-3s per ounce in farmed salmon compared with wild salmon, but we know the farmed stuff also comes with a hefty (not healthy) wallop of other fats including omega-6s. We then deal with the problem that the omega-6s and omega-3s compete for the same receptors in our bodies. Consequently, the “net” omega-3 gain will always be less than what you’ll get with a wild serving. Here’s a nifty chart that compares the fat content of some popular wild versus farmed fish varieties (including salmon) from this PDF.

And because the farmed fish are fattier, you’ll get less protein per serving as well.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/salmon-f ... m-vs-wild/

Sorry, I cant help myself here...

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

As a broad statement carnivores (like salmon) are bad for farming.

You also wouldn't want to farm lions or such; you'd get a lot of the same problems (like the waste and parasites). Also why the only kinds of fish farms that don't provoke some special rage deal with sea critters that are well-adapted to living in mud, convert nutrition to mass relatively well, and eat basically anything (like catfish).

And now we have come full circle, for this is also how I would describe pigs.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Yeah, catfish...

Its just a shame they taste like mud, both from the store and when wild caught (save when caught during the colder months when their meat tastes a little better, to me anyway...).

Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

The bestest tasting freshwater fish is perch, both of the white and yellow variety, followed closely by walleye.

But little beats a good perch fry. Or cooked any way, really. Such white, sweet, flakey, meaty, did I mention sweet?, goodness. Mmm hmm. Making me want to go catch some perch this weekend...

Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Wait...

Oh man, I just realized Im headed down the shore this weekend. Might be looking at some floundering, but if not then definitely some croaker fishing (and cooking), which to be quite honest is just as delish!

Thanks, Rumple, thanks for putting me back on the right track of living a healthy life!

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Yeah... can't treat catfish like salmon. It's pretty awful-- though I did learn how to do a good catfish fry in the couple years I lived in the south (and it, indeed, involves spicing and breading the catfish, such that you're more getting the weight and the texture than the flavor from the fish).

Though if we're to talk about what sorts of things that humans can make a habit of? We'd probably have to kill 9 in 10 of us to go back to animal hide butt flaps and getting everywhere on foot. "What can we farm without murdering our grandchildren?" is a not-hypothetical question in our world.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Zelknolf wrote:Though if we're to talk about what sorts of things that humans can make a habit of? We'd probably have to kill 9 in 10 of us to go back to animal hide butt flaps and getting everywhere on foot. "What can we farm without murdering our grandchildren?" is a not-hypothetical question in our world.
Yes, of course. Gotta farm to feed the masses.

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Who needs masses?
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

kid wrote:Who needs masses?
Says the guy living in a major US city...

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I don't see your point. I didn't build that city or fed them masses.

I say cut off the food supplies and let's see who survives.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Everyone says it, even if it isnt true, but Ill say it anyway...

Id be fine.