Today I had bacon

This is a forum for all off topic posts.
kid
Dungeon Master

Today I had bacon

Post by kid »

For the first time.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Re: Today I had bacon

Post by johnlewismcleod »

It's the candy of meats.

You'd prolly be better off if you'd never tried it :lol:
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Yeah, I didn't quite get what I'm supposed to do with it.
It's not a meal...

But it was tasty... Candy of meats. I like that one. :)
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

It's overrated and unhealthy.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

kid wrote:Yeah, I didn't quite get what I'm supposed to do with it.
As this is the Internet, I'm obligated to tell you that bacon is best at everything, and is absolutely every meal!

... in practice, though, bacon has a strong flavor and a lot of fat in it, so people tend to use it over here in the real world for one of a few things--
-- to keep another part of a dish moist when it would normally dry out (a less-fatty steak might be wrapped in bacon and then seared, for instance)
-- to serve as the primary flavor among otherwise-less-flavorful ingredients (like in the BLT sandwich, or on an egg sandwich, or if you don't know what parts of the cow your cheeseburger is made of)
-- to add weight to savory dishes that are meant to feel filling (like making a bacon gravy, which can be poured over basically any starch to turn it into a meal).
-- as a side dish (often as a generic 'breakfast meat' -- a couple strips of bacon beside pancakes or eggs and toast).
-- as a generic source of fat (e.g. bacon mayonnaise is a thing, though the logistics are pretty rough; either it's fake stuff, in which case just add bacon bits to your dish and skip the overpriced jar, or it's real stuff that you've probably made yourself and once it's refrigerated it turns into a brick)

Though, of course, it's fatty, it's salty, it's smokey, it browns nicely, and it's made of pig. As long as you don't burn it, you can put bacon in basically anything edible and have it be good.
Rumple C wrote:It's overrated
Agreed
Rumple C wrote: and unhealthy.
Eh... unless there's new research I missed, this probably isn't true. Of course, the fad books that say "eat nothing but bacon and sit on the couch watching Netflix! You'll get six pack abs!" are also bullshit. So, yeah.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Bacon , eggs and toast at least 4 times a week for breakfast . . . yummm
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/por ... cts/2208/2

Energy dense due to fat content (daily energy surpluses stored as fat, see awareness and moderation below)
Relatively high in saturated fat (Raises bad cholesterol, decreases good cholesterol)
High in sodium (raises blood pressure, scarring blood vessels - a double whammy in combination with the raise in blood cholesterol which deposits plaque onto these roughened surfaces)

But, to be fair if eaten -in moderation- in the absence of any other -potentially- unhealthy food, one might not suffer any ill effects... but most people don't eat with moderation or awareness (until it's too late).

The figures in the link above are for the raw version, cooking method (frying etc) can make it even "worse".
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

You only live once, Rump.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Rumple C wrote:http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/por ... cts/2208/2

Energy dense due to fat content (daily energy surpluses stored as fat, see awareness and moderation below)
Relatively high in saturated fat (Raises bad cholesterol, decreases good cholesterol)
High in sodium (raises blood pressure, scarring blood vessels - a double whammy in combination with the raise in blood cholesterol which deposits plaque onto these roughened surfaces)

But, to be fair if eaten -in moderation- in the absence of any other -potentially- unhealthy food, one might not suffer any ill effects... but most people don't eat with moderation or awareness (until it's too late).

The figures in the link above are for the raw version, cooking method (frying etc) can make it even "worse".
These numbers are true, of course; more recent research casts doubt on the claimed effects on the general population. Folk hopefully have a good-enough relationship with their doctors that they, say, know if cutting refined sugar doesn't get their cholesterol under control, if they have the mutation that makes sodium screw their blood pressure, or if certain energy sources screw with their guts. Which I guess is summarized with "Don't take health advice from internet people. There's so much shit that could be special that it probably is for you in at least one of those ways."
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Heero - I only live once, but plan to do so as long as possible.

Zelknolf - I'm just parroting nutritional best practise. I don't really expect anyone to listen, stop eating unhealthily, or putting objects up places where they don't belong. People are self destructive.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

I would like to hear more about kid's loss of bacon virginity. Couple slices, a sandwich, crumbled into a salad or what? Was it in secret or in front of god and everyone?
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Stax (no idea if network of small cafe in Chicago).

Scrambled, toast hash browns and two slices of bacon.

Which is why I didn't really know what to do with it.

It didn't really fit in with any other part of the meal. So i munched on it as is...
Was good. Zelk was informative though, so perhaps when I get settled in my own flat i'll try out some ideas.

We have some pork in Isreal (it's semi regulated...) but it's certainly not a habbit and Bacon is not a "thing".
I could have found it before I suppose, if I looked for it specifically.

Anyways, it was good. Very good. But as is... (Just a couple of slices) I am still uncertain where it fits in that meal.
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

I always find that if you want good bacon; go to a deli / butcher. I have a few favorites in my area that I will hit up once every few weeks. p.s :Ze German around these parts makes the best bacon that Ive had, all they use for curing is simple salt and not too much of that. I might be biased though; I have been going there for 35 years : -)
I've tried numerous times to make my own that even has a slight resemblance to theirs and fall short everytime. Damnit... now I want some bacon!
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

ImStrokerAce wrote:I always find that if you want good bacon; go to a deli / butcher. I have a few favorites in my area that I will hit up once every few weeks. p.s :Ze German around these parts makes the best bacon that Ive had, all they use for curing is simple salt and not too much of that. I might be biased though; I have been going there for 35 years : -)
I've tried numerous times to make my own that even has a slight resemblance to theirs and fall short everytime. Damnit... now I want some bacon!

I grow my own
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Rumple C wrote:Heero - I only live once, but plan to do so as long as possible.

Zelknolf - I'm just parroting nutritional best practise. I don't really expect anyone to listen, stop eating unhealthily, or putting objects up places where they don't belong. People are self destructive.

Yeah, but without bacon, are you living? is it worth it?
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg