Pillars of eternity

This is a forum for all off topic posts.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Pillars of eternity

Post by Ithildur »

Rumple C wrote:Played and finished. Cool story, I guess. One grievance. Missed a fair bit of side-content in the third act by responding to the sense of urgency the game creates. Side-quests ignored in favor of pursuit of the BBEG.

I'd have to say I prefer the scope and pacing of BG1, the companions and banter of BG2, and the story/mechanics of POE. If only they could combine all three.

I'm a hard one to please, it seems.
I wonder if the sense of urgency is really enforced by ingame consequences. One of my pet peeves about bg2 was the completely false sense of urgency through chapters 2 and 3; no matter how quickly you get to Brynlaw Imoen is still screwed; you may as well take 6 months to get there, absolutely no difference.

POE sounds/looks like a fun game regardless; I go into RPG's with pretty low expectations as far as story/plot stuff. The only RPG I've ever seen that satisfied me in that sense was Betrayal at Krondor, which was put together while working closely with an actual published and successful novelist.

BG1 was better than most; agreed about companions/banter of bg2 being good... never finished Planescape: Torment, didn't seem to be my cup of tea, at least back then. I've been told MOTB has a pretty good storyline if you can deal with high lvl 3.5ish gameplay, but never finished that either alas.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Can't beat the gold box games, really.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but .. just started playing PoE. Its intriguing, but mostly I started playing it because the reviews are kinda off the hook for this thing. Is it really that good? I am few hours into it, playing a rogue, and so far its .... ok. The plot/story so far is not bad, and I like the concept of the reputation system but I haven't really seen its effects yet. As a rogue, almost everyone else in my party is does more damage/more healing/more whatever - kinda feel like my rogue is just tagging along, but then, so it goes with rogues. The real question is whether or not its worth playing out to the end?

P.S. I am sooooo NOT happy about whatever happened to the boards that caused my avatar to disappear (I don't even own the computer that I made that avatar on anymore) and my title etc. Now my title says Player Admin, which is nice and respectful and all, but I am the fucking Valsharess of ALFA ... dammit. Had that title for a decade. Hmmph. And that avatar. I get that ALFA needs to move on, survive, etc., but it should do so while catering to my whims! Hmmph. ;)
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I can't help you with the image issue. I've had to fix mine a couple times now. I too lost my original image, which I had made in photoshop, with a transparent background... Now I have this lesser image with the white box background, and no longer have photoshop around to fix the image. Bleh.

At least we still have some good roleplay opportunities. Come back to us. :twisted:
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

HEEGZ:
At least we still have some good roleplay opportunities. Come back to us.

I know you do. The best RP I've ever had was here in ALFA. My problem is that I work a rotating schedule now. This week my days off were Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. Next week, my days off will be Monday/Tues/Weds and the week after it will be Tues/Weds/Thurs and the week after that it will be Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat and so forth. So, any fixed campaign night and I am pretty much guaranteed to miss at least half the nights. Makes me sad.

On the plus side, I am (once again) using the names, personalities and relationships of a bunch of ALFA PCs as NPCs in my current table top game. Chances are good that if I (Layla) ever met your PC in-game in BG or TSM, a facsimile of your PC is now an NPC in my pen-n-paper Dark Heresy game. All the Vilquari, Justin Black, the Calishite Crew, the Draconis crew, Horatio, all the others at the Sword in BG, y'all NPCs in my DH game now. I needed personalities and relationships to make this big conglomeration of mercenaries and cutthroats seem real, and, well, ALFAns and their PCs are me fav role-players, so y'all are guest stars in my pen-n-paper game again. Thank you!

P.S./EDIT: Thank you for fixing my title!!! Muwhahahaha!
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

YW. Also, I'm not running any campaigns now. Mostly just doing some fun PW-y character development plots on TSM. Feel free to join or not as your schedule permits. Cya!
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I also find it hard to get to the end of -any- PC game these days. All feels like I've been there/done that before. PoE is -ok-. I ended up liking the rules/system/setting more than the plot. Some of the NPC's are fun. Its worth sticking through to draw out their personalities/story.

Durance especially. He is probably one of the most intiguingly well thought out npc's ive come across in any game. Elder, aloth, and grieving mother also well done.

Others not so much.

Could be a hard slog with a rogue. Will need a lot of micro management with all the combat. Squishy. As always. I think I played a evil paladin? The horrible ruthless mercenary kind.

Themed in well with the shit that goes down.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

OK is right.

Im in the same boat as Rumple -- can barely finish games (when I do find the motivation to play) these days, RPGs especially. I didnt finish this game, tho I did, kindve, enjoy playing and may pick back up again in the future. Cant quite put my finger on it, there is sortve a 'been there, done that' feel, I think, despite some alright characters such as Durance, as Rumple mentioned.

Dunno what it is.

On another note, one of my fishing buddies (literally the only one that plays any sortve confuser games) bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday back in July and told me I had to play it. Well, I did and I defeated it just today. Quite good, not so much for the button mashing combat and such but the story, quests, and characters kept me really engaged, better than anything in a really long time. I even somehow lucked out and apparently got the 'good' ending. Ive since read up on the other possiblities, and I guess not really luck but more common sense? I enjoyed it, is the point.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Bought this. Played for 1hr. Haven't looked at it again.

You guys and RP with real people behind chars have ruined all games except sport, maybe one Bf/cod type game and ALFA. I hope an MMO with strong RP community and a non-grind focus comes along that I like if nwn2 isn't 'replaced'
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Dorn wrote:I hope an MMO with strong RP community and a non-grind focus comes along that I like if nwn2 isn't 'replaced'
Very unlikely to happen.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

Dorn:
You guys and RP with real people behind chars have ruined all games ...
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. The best gaming experiences I've had have been when deeply involved in ALFA stories - Muse's TFN/Lonelywood game, Vendrin's War-of-the-Spider-Queen Campaign, and Ronan's Vilquari campaign. They all had a story, and were deeply engaging. The problem is finding those campaigns and getting involved. In the Lonelywood and Underdark games my PC was centrally involved, but in the Vilquari game I was a supporting actress at best. Regardless, they were all great. But they are kind of rare now, especially given my schedule.

Generally, without a regularly scheduled campaign/DM to play in/with, you either get tavern RP, which is fun for awhile because all our PCs have various relationships, but it gets old and needs some new events every now and then. And straight up dungeon crawls are OK, they yield XPeez and lootz, but there is no story. Neither really satisfies on its own. I am really a narrative type player I guess - I am in it for the drama (I know, no surprise there) and the story. Without those two things, it all falls kind of flat for me.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Mikayla wrote: I am in it for the drama (I know, no surprise there)
No. No suprise. :lol:
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)