Colin Powell endorses Obama

This is a forum for all off topic posts.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Post by dergon darkhelm »

So will he be Secretary of State or Defense?

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/10 ... ses-obama/
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
MorbidKate
Dungeon Master

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Post by MorbidKate »

dergon darkhelm wrote:So will he be Secretary of State or Defense?
Besides the fact Powell is a moderate Republican he's rep got torched when he sold his soul in front of the UN on behalf of Bush. I always liked Powell (until then) but suspect he won't be approached for any cabinet positions no matter who wins in November. Besides, he way late to the endorsement party.
"We had gone in search of the American dream. It had been a lame f*ckaround. A waste of time. There was no point in looking back. F*ck no, not today thank you kindly. My heart was filled with joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger. A man on the move... and just sick enough to be totally confident." -- Raoul Duke.
Mulu
Mental Welfare Queen

Post by Mulu »

Hmm, Obama's a slam dunk? Okay, I'll endorse him now.

Then again what might have pushed him over the edge is all the overt racism and hate mongering in the past few weeks by McCain and the GOP, which really no longer deserves the "G."
Neverwinter Connections Dungeon Master since 2002! :D
Click for the best roleplaying!

On NWVault by me:
X-INV, X-COM, War of the Worlds, Lantan University.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Mulu wrote:Then again what might have pushed him over the edge is all the overt racism and hate mongering in the past few weeks by McCain and the GOP, which really no longer deserves the "G."
I think you're continuing to perpetuate falsehoods. What hate mongering and racism has McCain engaged in?
Vaelahr
Owlbear

Post by Vaelahr »

Yes, Mulu. What are you on about now?

As for Powell... I'm sure as a former soldier he'll love seeing our military turned back into a Meals on Wheels program for Africa, and the resulting retreat when one of our SF gets dragged through the streets by khat-junkies. :evil:
Mulu
Mental Welfare Queen

Post by Mulu »

Oh please, it's been headline news for two weeks now.

On NWVault by me:
MorbidKate
Dungeon Master

Post by MorbidKate »

Vaelahr wrote:As for Powell... I'm sure as a former soldier he'll love seeing our military turned back into a Meals on Wheels program for Africa, and the resulting retreat when one of our SF gets dragged through the streets by khat-junkies. :evil:
I don't suppose you've given a single thought to the hundreds of billions of dollars in military equipment that already needs to be replaced thanks to Bush? Even with drastic military spending cuts that are coming (minus SF programs) no matter who's in the Whitehouse it's going to take the US at least a decade to build itself back up again.

Kate
"We had gone in search of the American dream. It had been a lame f*ckaround. A waste of time. There was no point in looking back. F*ck no, not today thank you kindly. My heart was filled with joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger. A man on the move... and just sick enough to be totally confident." -- Raoul Duke.
Vaelahr
Owlbear

Post by Vaelahr »

Yes, Kate. War's expensive.
MorbidKate
Dungeon Master

Post by MorbidKate »

Vaelahr wrote:Yes, Kate. War's expensive.
No shit Sherlock
Vaelahr
Owlbear

Post by Vaelahr »

Then why remind me, toots?
MorbidKate
Dungeon Master

Post by MorbidKate »

Vaelahr wrote:Then why remind me, toots?
Because you don't seem well informed. Sorry, I'll try to be less sympathetic next time ;)

Kate
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

Vaelahr wrote:Yes, Kate. War's expensive.
Especially an unnecessary one.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
MorbidKate
Dungeon Master

Post by MorbidKate »

Mayhem wrote:Especially an unnecessary one.
Oh Snap! :shock:
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

Post by dergon darkhelm »

MorbidKate wrote: Besides the fact Powell is a moderate Republican he's rep got torched when he sold his soul in front of the UN on behalf of Bush. I always liked Powell (until then) but suspect he won't be approached for any cabinet positions no matter who wins in November. Besides, he way late to the endorsement party.
Looks like the Times agrees with you.
Powell is unlikely to return to the cabinet after the mauling he received over the Iraq war, but could serve as a special envoy abroad. He is regularly consulted by Obama on foreign policy and military matters, and said last year: “I always keep my eyes open and my ears open to requests for service.”

I'm no political insider but still..... I think the American people were pretty fast to absolve Powell for the war and heap it all on Bush. The guy's got a 80%+ favorable rating. I personally would love to see him as an "across the aisle" pick in an Obama cabinet.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Mulu
Mental Welfare Queen

Post by Mulu »

Obama has clearly stated he'd take Powell in a formal role, basically it's up to Powell.

If you haven't actually watched the video of his endorsement, you should. I love the part where he said even if Obama was Muslim it shouldn't matter. Funny how right-wing Christians think the First Amendment only applies to them. The guy was a class act from start to finish, and man are the right-wingers frothing at the mouth over his endorsement. Fortunately most folks are finding it to be important even this late in the game.
Politico wrote:Norman J. Ornstein, Resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute:
My first instinct was that the endorsement should have come earlier, when Obama was not so far ahead. but I was wrong. The hardest task in a presidential campaign for a non-incumbent is closing the sale. A Powell endorsement now is a huge step to close that sale, to make Obama seem even safer and more attractive as a president.

Samuel J. Brannen, Deputy Dir., CSIS International Security Program:
This was a careful revolution. On Meet the Press, Powell underlined the need to turn power over to a new generation. In my opinion that was the basis of his decision. He comes from one of the few professions that really understands the importance of building a next generation of leaders and of changing command when the current strategy isn't working. He has judged Obama ready to be a Commander in Chief and believes there is a need to change not the Party in the White House, but the generation.

Akram Baker (guest), Organizational Development Consultant:
Gen. Powell's endorsement of Sen. Obama's candidacy was probably the most eloquent, truthful, and credible statement for an Obama presidency to date. His systematic (yet somehow wistful) dress-down of the right-wing of his own party, in addition to his sagely take on the positive ripple effects that such a presidency would have on the entire world, reached levels of heartfelt sophistication sorely missed in this campaign season. One very remarkable point he made which has so far been skipped over by the press (as far as I can see), is his answer to the false accusations that Obama is Muslim. When he said, "the right answer (to those claims) would be 'so what if he was a Muslim?'" is not only spot on, but is something which needs to be heard much more often in this great country of ours. True icing on the proverbial cake.

On NWVault by me: