Elven Faction Meeting

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Elven Faction Meeting

Post by Cleasor »

OOC: I'm seeking player interest in forming an Elven faction. The DMs and builders have spent time and effort on the Elven Enclave within Westwood and I'd like to see this area come to life. I will initially take the lead but in doing so, my desire is to establish this faction with an IC purpose. To organize a group of characters for a common goal, one which contributes to an Elven, good-aligned culture. I'm not interested in running a hostel. I'm not interested in divisive drama.

To that end, I would like to host an in-game "council" to discuss the formation of the faction. It will take place within the Elven Enclave. Magolir will give some background information on why the faction is being established, and its purpose. Then those who want to join will remain and discuss our first steps.

So please respond if you are interested in the event, and in what time zone you reside. I'll then pick a date/time which allows players from different time zones to participate.

A final "thank you" to all the DMs and builders who continue to put in a tremendous amount of time to make Waterdeep a great gaming experience.

Cheers, Cleasor
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
jmecha
Illithid

Re: Elven Faction Meeting

Post by jmecha »

I am interested in participating with my Elven character Arilis Silverwind, 3rd Rate Battle Poet. That being said my current focus as a player is on establishing the House of Heroes as a real Faction so my participation in elven events maybe limited until Klaxxan inevitably dies ugly. Whatever day or time is decided upon for the meeting I will do my best to make it.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
epetrow
Dire Badger

Post by epetrow »

Sulrath would obviously be interested. I am Eastern US time zone. Let me know when.
Current NWN1 PCs: Cyrus Thelvair, Castien Miracaryn, Yargrim Goldbrew.

"Bring out your dead!"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

CST. Might be interested if EE height scaling is enabled. Otherwise the loathsome shame of staring at a bunch of Greyhawk elves is too much to bear.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
epetrow
Dire Badger

Post by epetrow »

But Cleasor plays the only Male elf.

"Bring out your dead!"
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

I have a jolly elf ex-librarian who would happily join y'all
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Ethbaal
Dire Badger

Post by Ethbaal »

Lhoris will attend this meeting for the benefit of elves, unless explicitly forbidden.. and if the timings line up.
Holy_Ronin
Goblin Scout

Post by Holy_Ronin »

I finally found the Flintstone tech. Nawie will be at said meeting of the Pointy Ear Tribe. To discuss the NAAEP (National Association for the Advancement of Elven People)
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

Honest question(s):
  1. How important is it to know/be able to ad lib in Elven phrases/language like I often see individuals do in RP? One of the barriers to Elven RP has always been those little quirks, hence why the majority have been Wild Elves who are very far gone.
  2. Are you searching for characters that already exist, or are you willing to accept fresh PCs?
  3. For the Elven Enclave, are there some classes you feel are lacking that you may encourage someone who is a fresh PC to make?
Thanks in advance
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Magile wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am
Honest question(s):
  1. How important is it to know/be able to ad lib in Elven phrases/language like I often see individuals do in RP? One of the barriers to Elven RP has always been those little quirks, hence why the majority have been Wild Elves who are very far gone.
  2. Are you searching for characters that already exist, or are you willing to accept fresh PCs?
  3. For the Elven Enclave, are there some classes you feel are lacking that you may encourage someone who is a fresh PC to make?
Thanks in advance
Mags,
1. This use of Elven phrases is not important to me. In fact, I'm the canon offender as I prefer Tolkien elves and I use Sindarin phrases.
2. We're interested in any Elven characters, new or existing. However, I'd like them committed to this faction rather than spliting time with others. Roll a toon, come to the meeting. If you don't care for the Purpose, then you don't have to join.
3. We lack a wizard. I think we're heavy on ranger/rogue shooty types, though I understand why. For skill sets, we need a brewer. But feel free to play anything you like.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Cleasor wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am
3. We lack a wizard.
My elf is a wizard!
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
epetrow
Dire Badger

Post by epetrow »

My elf is a fighter / ranger more melee than missile. He is concentrating on weapon crafting and I know some others that are on Armor crafting so I would say a brewer is needed (plus we already have things that can be brewed.)

"Bring out your dead!"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Talamir is a Fighter/Wizard (i.e. a Real Original Red Box Elf [TM]) but most likely going to be much, much more Ftr than Wizzie, pretty tanky as far as AC but not HPs.

I'm willing to endure the crafting thing since it pretty much sounds like it's a requisite for not being irrelevant on WD.

Language, etc: personally I've long ago stopped looking for a 'standard' as far as RPing elven languages in NWN - it's nice if someone does it for extra flavor but I don't have the energy to get my pantaloons tied in a bunch over it.

Other elven lore: imho it's something that should be fun and enjoyable, but not require encyclopedic knowledge. For a RP environment I think it makes sense to think of it as similar to clerics; if you're going to RP a cleric have some basic lore regarding your god, church, etc. If you're RPing an elf, you probably don't want to be best friends with Malarites and probably know the members of the Seldarine and such. I doubt anyone will be shamed for not knowing all of the Elven houses in Evermeet by heart or what Corellon's favorite baked goods are (secret hint below)...

Spoiler:

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Lol. Thank you everyone for responding.

Ithildur, my original idea for Magolir was the original D&D fighter/magic-user (It wasn't a split class). Cool you're trying it.

Some of these characters already belong to another Faction. I would ask players to consider whether belonging to multiple factions would detract from the Elven Faction's goal. Again, the point of the meeting is to hear the Faction's purpose then decide if you want to join and be an active member. It's not to just get a key to the cool Elven digs.

I'd like to target Saturday, 11 July, at 8:00 am mountain standard time, for our Elven Faction Meeting. That will allow Ethbaal to participate on a Saturday night and any Europeans to participate too. If you're on the West Coast USA, grab your tripple frappochino and join us.

Sorry if I don't know your PC's name, but so far, we have attending:
Magolir (Cleasor)
Sulrath (Epetrow)
Thoron (OGR)
Lhoris (Ethbaal)
(Magile)
(Paazin)
Talamir (Ithildur)
Nawie (Holy Ronin)
Arilis maybe? (JMecha)
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

For possible inspiration:

https://www.deviantart.com/phasai/gallery

What it is: there's a rather impressive collection of fan compiled pdf books based on FR dates, history, etc. that's drawn from canon sourcebooks, alongside some stuff that the author(s) made up (like individual magic items, some rather well done songs/poetry).

Aryvandaar is rather comprehensive (231 pages) ... in fact probably too comprehensive - much of the details are probably not generally available to a non scholarly elf of WD's timeline without IC reason so go easy on this stuff! - but still food for thought/flavor/insight into Realms specific Elven culture and history.
Ardeep may be of special interest for info on the Elven empire that covered territory that Waterdeep currently is in.