Beware

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Duck One
Orc Champion

Beware

Post by Duck One »

The following is pinned to the announcement board inside the guild hall of the Adventurer’s Guild, a hand-written notice signed by Hudol Rhyfelwr, Blademaster of the guild.

“Though I have been there many times before, I will be curtailing further trips into the Waterdeep sewers. As most of you know, there are reasons to want to go down there, not the least of which is the prospect of rescuing children from the clutches of the goblins which call it home. While many of those reasons still exist, there are plenty of other places around the city where good can be done without the undue risks I personally experienced last week. What follows is a cautionary tale for your consideration.

Having spent a fair bit of time down in the sewers, I had the notion of creating a map which illustrates the layout of the sewers for the benefit of guild members. The goal was to hopefully provide information to give members that may help them, perhaps even reduce their risks to some degree, with emphasis on good navigation to points of access and egress. However, knowing that certain areas are known to have rust monsters in them, I planned to use only mundane gear in an effort to prevent the loss of more valuable enchanted items I normally might use.

Alas, the plan was met with tragic results. Although I had changed my sword, shield, armor, and helmet with suitable alternatives, my very first encounter exposed the futility of such measures. I was accompanied by journeyman Ryld and Kal of the Lhuvendhead Trading Company, and I shared with them my goal and special preparations I had made. The very first bridge we encountered had two rust monsters on it. Knowing my exposed gear was expendable, I chose to engage the creatures in an effort to save my two comrades from loss of gear.

Alas, the creatures could not only strip away the gear I was wearing and using, by also were able to reach into my pack with their tentacles. In addition to all the gear I wore outwardly, the creatures destroyed the prized enchanted sword Legerdemain which was stored within my pack, my hand crafted helmet created by Ivar within my pack, and my Ring of the Crusader which was beneath my gloves on my right hand. Their magical enchantments seemed to offer no protection from the corrosive touch of the creatures.

The items lost were treasured not just for the benefit they afforded me, but more importantly the special meaning they had for me. The lore of the blade, taken from the vampire Queen Vansa, was of particular importance. The personal attention Ivar put into my helmet made it unique to me. All three of these items, though valuable, had more significance given their history prior to their use and now the added personal history as they have served me.

Be it known that any gear composed of metal that you carry with you within the sewers is vulnerable to a similar risk no matter the strength of the enchantment nor how hard it may be to access. While I understand that there are worthwhile causes within the sewers to support, there are many more in other locations that don’t carry that dramatic added risk. I therefore will be foregoing any trips into the sewers that don’t have a compelling need, and I urge you give it similar consideration.

Yours in service,

Blademaster Hudol Rhyfelwr”
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Re: Beware

Post by Akivaria »

((Ouch.))
"This is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

Current PC: Alora Tuffet-Hopper, foul-mouthed and irreverent bard
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

I nearly cried when I saw that happen. Ouch is right.

-Bill
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Post by Akivaria »

wvincenti wrote:I nearly cried when I saw that happen. Ouch is right.

-Bill
I feel bad anytime someone loses gear in ALFA. Stuff's hard to replace here.

oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

//OOC The worst part is that Rust Monsters eat Leather armor too///
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

The real worst part is the goblins who can now keep stealing babies because pc fear losing gear.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Post by Akivaria »

Rumple C wrote:The real worst part is the goblins who can now keep stealing babies because pc fear losing gear.
Meh. It's Waterdeep.

There are always more babies.

Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

They aren’t real babies. Just pretend babies. *really eats a pretend baby*
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I wonder how much sentimental value the babies have?
12.August.2015: Never forget.