Vansa Hunting, Sunday June 2nd

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

jmecha
Illithid

Re: Vansa Hunting, SATURDAY May 18th

Post by jmecha »

30 people in game will not cause bad lag, the evil of lag comes from 10 people parties in the same area. No one needs to avoid logging in to play because of this event.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

edit: Nevermind.
Last edited by Magile on Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

Alfa has doubled in size I believe, maybe a bit more. There might need to be limited slots for adventures due to lag. Perhaps we need another DM to have engaging plots like Mick & Ayergo.
DM whana-be
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Electryc wrote:Alfa has doubled in size I believe, maybe a bit more. There might need to be limited slots for adventures due to lag. Perhaps we need another DM to have engaging plots like Mick & Ayergo.
Don't tease me.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

I think PCs most involved in a plot should see it through. That’s why we’re moving nights for this and that’s why my character isn’t the best choice.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

A certain minimum amount of competence and firepower will be necessary for success in this, but too many folks at once will ensure lagdeaths and a generally miserable time.

That said, I am planning to also have some sort of a related event on Friday night (the 17th) for those who are not or cannot be included in the main assault on Saturday.

In short, there will be some love for all.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Ryld will gracefully bow out if there needs to be room for someone with far more ability to lay the smack down on powerful undead. He'd love to help, but understands the inadequacy of his skills and equipment against much heavier weight classes like vamps and ogres. His arms are also too short to box with the Dread Lag Monster. :eek:

-Bill
Mick wrote:A certain minimum amount of competence and firepower will be necessary for success in this, but too many folks at once will ensure lagdeaths and a generally miserable time.

That said, I am planning to also have some sort of a related event on Friday night (the 17th) for those who are not or cannot be included in the main assault on Saturday.

In short, there will be some love for all.
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Hudol can be there, but only if it fits for a level 5 pally. As such he would want no part of trying to capture Vansa. She is to be destroyed.
Last edited by Duck One on Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Duck One wrote:Hudol can be there, but only if it fits for a level 5 pally
Ryld might be available for other shenanigans that night too. Odds on he's in the same boat; it's the right kind of mission but he's not enough of a heavy hitter to go and not be underfoot.

-Bill
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

<disclaimer>I'm not bitter. I'm happy. I'm a carebear. I love everyone. I'm having fun. I am not trying to justify being included.</disclaimer>
*check disclaimer list over again, nods*

While it makes me cringe at this "list" forming OOC, I am very happy to oblige and stay out since the reality is, I don't think anyone cares about my PC, nor his involvement, as well the very real OOC issue of the lag. I just don't like if a PC walks by and very much "could" participate and IC wants to help, but OOC a crowd thinks he or she is not "in the group that should", that that person can't. And Mick has said anyone is welcome, he's always been awesome and inclusive. I do realise the lag is the big issue here.

Last weekend Lorrin was there, 16 or 17 people in party, and at least that many active things in one room. Pre-RP was great. When combat started, not even 1 enemy even showed up on my screen, I clicked towards the "fight area" and Lorrin froze, every few minutes (literally) I saw maybe one magic missile shoot across the screen, and even after everything was already dead, there was nothing to see even when the lag cleared. So, it would not even work even if all who are dedicated and available did participate - I know that.

Here's hoping others meet up ("Ryld! Watch my back! OPEN FIRE!?"), and we have our own glorious sift through the sewers on the side! yay!

<repeat disclaimer here>
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

In a perfect world, all the players who wanted to participate in any event for which it might make sense for their character would be able to. The game would adapt to any number of players, the challenge would scale for that number, the difficulty would push the highest level of character while not overwhelming the lowest, the DM’s would be able to divide their attention without compromising quality, and the game engine would handle it without issue. But that isn’t the reality.

As players of an imperfect game, we have to compromise. It is no different than the days of the pen-and-paper game when one key player can’t make game night and the plot is magically altered to allow for continuity, and everyone plays along with a wink and a nod. Imperfect solutions for an imperfect game.

May I suggest that the DM nominate the party leader, and that party leader picks those who goes. If Kal is the focal point of the plot, then perhaps he should be the leader. Say that he wants to limit the party size due to concern about the amount of space in the crypt and the noise they will make.

I would love to go, but Hudol may not be the best choice, and that is fine. DM attention is a commodity, and we must all share. If that is the case, I will wish those going good luck and god’s speed…they may need it.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

Mick said he would host a friday night event for those not doing the Saturday Night Vansa hunt. If you're not on the list and on the B Team, Friday Night is for you!
DM whana-be
ravin
Brown Bear

Post by ravin »

Wren and MD will be bowing out of the Saturday evening event for ic reasons
Current PC:Wren Bluefeather
Finnea Chaestina

<Maxcell> as I was saying, nobody steps on a virtual crotch like Ravin
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

For IC reasons Vale is bowing out and some other folks as well. I updated the roster to reflect this. I sincerely hope the Kalrenna plan is a success, because if it is not, the rest of Waterdeep is in for a world of hurt.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Lorrin is not going as stated above. I have no idea why he's on that list, especially at the top of the list. **confused**

If he was going he'd want to certainly kill her, and has said so IC as well. So, those who want her to be captured probably would not even let him accompany them. Plus he's also very smart, and does not think walking into a Vampire Queen's lair is a very smart thing to do regardless.

Please remove Lorrin from that list.

EDIT: Yes, a very earlier post I placed said he'd like to go, before too many issues with the possible lag occurred below my first post. And I thought everyone could go, and thought everyone would go!
"I" would of course like to adventure! But, after the posts later came, I am happy to not go, for the technical issues. Good luck to all who do go!