Fate point system

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

SCI-kick
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Fate point system

Post by SCI-kick »

Just for the record , I didn’t start this thread because a have any problem with the current system, Kalo has had several raises because of his rather aggressive nature. I’ve always taken the choice to raise if it’s there, mainly because of the time investment it takes to reach his level.

I was just curious for future reference if there was any actual rules with death , or if it’s completely arbitrary and decided on a case by case basis, which is fine by me as well.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Now I'm gonna have a hot take. My PC Adam Payne was rezzed twice. Third time the option was given to take a rezz if he converted to Ohgma. He declined, stayed dead. I was fine with that. But if other high level PCs can just buy a rezz whenever they die no strings attached, that can end up causing hard feelings. I'm not saying anyone needs to adopt my play style or standards, just that even a somewhat ad hoc system can be administered fairly. I think it is being handled fairly by the DMs BTW. And I lost three PCs to single failed death magic save rolls, all at max HP if memory serves. Adventuring is, and should be, as dangerous as it is lucrative.

And selling your soul to Demons/Devils for a rezz should be a thing. Kthxbye.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

oldgrayrogue wrote: And selling your soul to Demons/Devils for a rezz should be a thing. Kthxbye.
For the record, I am all about these sorts of deals. Taking applications! That said, such deals are not going to be growing on trees nor should they be entered lightly.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Two points:

1) Available rezzes give the DMs space to create more challenging encounters. This version of ALFA is WAY more challenging than old ALFA. I like that. I also like that if you get murdered via rando stupidness that is otherwise IC--as has happened at least twice to me... and probably to all of us--that you can generally opt to take a rez or not. Soloing excluded, cause you earned that shit.

2)
oldgrayrogue wrote:But if other high level PCs can just buy a rezz whenever they die no strings attached, that can end up causing hard feelings. I'm not saying anyone needs to adopt my play style or standards, just that even a somewhat ad hoc system can be administered fairly. I think it is being handled fairly by the DMs BTW.
If I'm reading this correctly, OGR, it sounds like you're saying that things are currently fair, but you're worried they might become unfair? The "hard feelings" part threw me a bit. It sounds like there's mixed feelings and like something doesn't quite feel fair to you as current, but I might be reading into things too much. My impression of your play style was that you enjoyed bringing up toons to lvl9 enough that it was worthwhile to opt out of rezzes. I could be wrong though.

More than anything, I don't want people to have hard feelings because of how I'm choosing to play my own toon. It's complicated though, because it's a PC-driven game, and all our toons affect each other, so there's some give and take. But indeed, if things don't feel fair, then that's an issue. I just think that's worth exploring in other ways.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Anyone with suggestions for changing the death system is welcome to tool something up. Until then, thread locked.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind