Adventurer's Guild Information for members

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

jmecha
Illithid

Re: Adventurer's Guild Information for members

Post by jmecha »

*Vale once more gathers the guild and announces the following.*

Mistress Gardner's research suggest the Ice Demon that turned several adventurers to Ice.....may in truth be an Ice Devil. Her research continues, her though is a copy of what she has uncovered so far. I ask each of you read this completely before passing it along and ask any questions you may have.

*Vale then passes out a piece of parchment with the following*
Wynna wrote:

ICE DEVIL

Gelugoth <- Devil <- Fiend <- Outsider

“Ice devils are insectoid creatures of pure ice and evil which hail from the 8th layer of the Nine Hells, which is one away from as bad as it gets,” says a quote attributed by Erpalio to the sage Bowgentle. In “Gentleman Scholar,” Erpalio quotes from one of Bowgentle’s early works, a travelogue entitled “Bad, Worst, Worster, Worstest.” [N.B. the Bowgentle work in question is held in the third sub-basement of the Vault of Sages in Bowgentle’s birth city of Silverymoon. When last viewed (by the author of this tract), the tome was in the Non-Magical but Valuable Heirloom Locker, its binding visibly singed but intact, and a splatter of some ancient brown stain left obscuring what is the earliest known instance of Bowgentle’s signature personal rune. The author of this tract did not have enough seniority to access the key to the VHL without a requisition signed by her superior, Brother Calwern, or the Keeper himself, and apologizes to her current employer for not knowing it would be important in her future and submitting paperwork for such a requisition.]

Ice Devils may stand 12 feet tall and weigh 700 pounds.

Ice Devils speak a wide range of languages of power, including but not limited to: Draconic, Infernal and Celestial. [Auran?] There are reports of mind-to-mind telepathic speech. [Did Aglorus not mention psionic powers? Related?]

Ice Devils have no difficulty seeing any distance without light, and are on record as not needing to “see” at all, being able to find their way in the fashion of the blind: by touch, sound, and a nearly anti-supernal sense of location.

Combat:
The short entry for this section should be, by rights: Do Not Engage!

As this is written for a company of adventurers, a more descriptive entry is required, prefaced with a warning. An Ice Devil is a senior inhabitant of the Hells, touring our plane on some business of its superior. The Hells have a bureaucracy second only to the infrastructure of scholastic organizations, and like middle level librarians with an inflated view of their intelligence and an eye to advancing through the ranks, Ice Devils will rip those beneath them limb from limb with claw and spear.

Melee:
Rather than librarians, these are the strategists and military commanders of the Hells, and physically vicious fighters. Personal accounts speak of jaws that bite, tails that deliver a bludgeoning blow, and the weapon in the form of a magical spear that deals numbing, slowing, cold-based injuries.

Magic
They are also spellcasters of great power. Not surprisingly, their focus is on spells of any circle that have to do with cold. The Lady’s College of the Conclave of Silverymoon trains its elementalists in certain spells that they call variously, “Cone of Cold,” “Ice Storm,” and “Walls of Ice.” There, they teach that these and other meteorological attacks may be countered by means of arcane protections, but some circles hold that it is more sensible to counter arcane magics with the mightier divine. Some circles have experienced some deities granting some divine Protection from Energy of either hot or cold persuasion without needing to call on the fickle Weave.

Their Defenses:
In addition to the damages that they cause, Ice Devils are reputedly immune or resistant to much that the standard opponent -- or victim -- may throw at them. According to accounts gathered from many sources, no fire, cold or poison has any effect on them. Acid causes limited damage. Blows from weapons that would fell another creature seem to injure them much less.

And now the Good News:
But they do bleed. And they do die. At least according to a fragment apparently torn from the journal of a cook of some icy regiment of soldiers, who reported:

“A gelugon named Vreesar led an attempt to conquer Toril from a portal in the Great Glacier. He was stopped by a Harper ranger named Martine and a former paladin named Vilheim.”

[N.B. I find the mention of portals extremely coincidental. Unfortunately, the fragment gives no hint as to how Ser Vilheim managed to defeat Vreesar. I have been unable to find anything further on the noble paladin and his seemingly musical squire, or even the order to which Ser Vilheim belongs, and it may be a dead end.]

Combat Codicile:
What is known about the death of Gelugons, and any Devil, is that should they actually be slain mainly on this plane, they dissolve into a poisonous slime here, but are reconstituted back on their Hellish plane of origin 99 years later in the same form they died in, free to return and wreak vengeance on the descendants of those who slew them.

Potentially Important but Uncorroborated Fragments from Less Authoritative or Unattributed Sources:

“In combat, a gelugon prefers to let its minions engage foes in melee so that it can hang back and appraise the foe’s tactics, strengths, and weaknesses. The ice devil supports its minions with its spells…”

“It is said that each ice devil—known as gelugons among the ranks of devilkind—bears within its chest a stolen, frozen mortal heart, which allows it to make decisions free of all emotion.”

“The first page declares the book's title and contains the holy symbol of Auril—a six-pointed snowflake outlined in white on a gray lozenge. The next thirteen pages describe basic rites, rituals, and services of the church of Auril, most of which, good-aligned individuals would find abhorrent. Here was also found the proper phrases to use when summoning a para-elemental from the Plane of Ice.”

[N.B. The last quote was Erpalio again. The book thus described by that great sage was not named nor attributed, but the description is rather precise to be second-hand, which suggests a line of research. I find it interesting, and again coincidental, in its mention of Auril and elemental summonings from the Plane of Ice.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Standing before the Memorial Stone, Vale Clearwaters addresses the Guild Members*

"Recently the Forge Master of the Warrens, Gwafiner worked to create a means of combating the Cult of Kringus. The Cult of Kringus learned of his efforts and moved to put an end to him and his creation. A combined effort between member of this Guild and the Lhuvendhead Trading Company intervened to save Gawfinder's life, and his creation which was gifted to Sarenna to be wielded against the Cult of Kringus."

"The Weapon....is actually a Lute of sorts empowered with lighting. The Lute was inspired by a design that originated with Gwafiner's Uncle, Fender Caster of the Stratos."

"In other news Smokey of the Lhuvendhead Trading Company and our own Asher Vontio were attacked recently by a gang of vampires within the City Sewers. It is not Known if this was an isolated incident or the first signs of the rising of a new threat."

"Dare and Beware....each and everyone of you.
Endure, and Grow Stronger men."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

* Vale announced to the various Members and Retainers of the Adventurer's Guild*

Know that our own Aglorus and Keryn of the Lhuvendhead Trading Company have worked together to create a potion capable of protecting those who imbibe from the falling victim to Petrefication. The potion requires combining the regenerative powers of Werewolves with the stability of Stoneskin to prevent the form of the user from being capable of being transmuted to Stone or Ice.

Know that while under the form stabilizing influence of such a potion.....the protections provided by Stone Skin are unavailable to the user. This is due to the same stabilizing influences of the potion that protects against petrefication.....also preventing the beneficial magics of Stone Skin from functioning.

Now that we have a method of protecting ourselves from the petrefication powers of the Ice Demons......we require the means of making such. Potions of Stone Skin and the Eyes of Werewolves are required. I ask all of you to work towards acquiring Scalander Tails and Werewolf eyes in the days and Rides to come.

Know that the Scalander of Blue Alley are protected behind layers if deadly traps, and the Scalander of the Citdal of the Bloody Hand are protected behind layers of Ogres, Trolls, Minotaurs, and Living Magic......I ask all of you use your training and education to thoroughly prepare and organize before seeking such. As the late Doctor Luther Von Mufflebop taught us...Preperation isbthebkey to success.

The gathering of Werewolf eyes is no smaller task. The Malarites of the Westwood hunt, move, and defend themselves in dangerous packs made up of Worgs with howls capable of turning the Mettle of men into mindless urges of primal fear, Wererats with low cunning honed for the exploiting the exposed flesh and vitals of combatants who do not focus upon them to the exclusion of other threats. Werecats of extraordinary predatory grace and claws for tending. Wereboars of extraordinary fortitude and brawn, capable of shrugging off most attacks and laying even experinced Warriors helplessly upon their backs. Such are the threats that werewolves can be found beside.

I once more all of you to band together to both Dare and Beware....we have Endured much and more this Winter, and by Enduring we have grown Stronger. We though must maintain or vigilance and not yet lower our guard.....The season has not yet changed, and it may not until we have survived the last of the Frost Maiden's trials, defeat the Kringus of Yule Tide...and prove ourselves champions worthy of a change in the weather.
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

quick note scribbled to Vale, kept with Vana

Trin Stonemender, Aglorus and I did venture into the sewers to find a goblin to question. A brief skirmish occured. Aglorus used magic to cause an elite member of the slimy goblin tribe to fall into deep slumber. With prepared rope in hand I tied the goblin to Aglorus's Behemoth construct's maul. The threat of the Behemoth's maul being activated caused the goblin named "Skurt" great distress. In the end Skurt did provide much needed information from our intense interrogation tactics! The information gleaned was this : The bloodsuckers are invading the sewers through the City of the Dead. That was all the creature knew and upon undesired advice I let the vermin go scamper off free.

- Laird Briarbush.

p.s. Expect me track down Skurt and place his head in the Snookery. Here is a drawn picture of him, in case you run into him in your journeys.
DM whana-be
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Picture is epic icing on the cake.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Vale assembles the Guild and any allies that care to join them and shares the following.*

"I do not Know what is the Source of this Spell Freeze."

"Based upon the lessons learned from the previous two Spell Freezes and the Trident, I though have a theory."

"Previously the Trident that had power over Water was used to induce the Spell Freeze from both the Upper Sewers and the Lower Sewers."

"Both times the Trident was submerged within water that then had an effect upon the regional weather and the Weave."

"Waterdeep's Sewer System is built upon the remains of the Dwarven ruins of those who came before."

"The Dwarves designed their city to harness the existing magical energy flows through the region, and the Lower Sewers follow these same energy streams, creating nodes of power where the streams intersect eachother at the Cess Pool intersections."

"I Suspect the servants of the Furies are using the Tide Pod to now control the Water of the Lower Sewers, since the Trident has been lost to them."

"The Question I ask all of you..."

"How does controlling the water of the sewers effect the regional weather and create a Spell Freeze as we have experienced?"

"If we can discover this....we may then find a means of preventing future Spell Plagues regardless of how many wonderous items the Furies may produce to grant themselves control over the water."
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

Clarianna found this talk of an older Dwarven city beneath the streets of Waterdeep fascinating. She would have thought Elves, from the regional influences. But Dwarves made more sense, really. What better to lay the footings of a human city on than the solid, unmoving bedrock of Dwarf-hewn stone. She approved.

And her thoughts had darted off down another research rabbit hole.

She'd missed most of what he'd said, but Vale was asking a question of all assembled, regarding weather patterns. Her thought was that Auril, being a goddess of winter, and winter being so much composed of frozen water, made an excellent correlation, but the demon was in the details. Hopefully not literally. Except, perhaps, there was a literary lead on matters of bringing down wintry weather arcanely.

Uncertain both of her new standing and her footing in such arcane matters, she held her peace and merely found a piece of paper and quill.

Note to self: Check at Serpentil's for Auril's book.
Enjoy the game
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Standing before the Memorial Stone, Vale addresses the assembled members of the Adventurer's Guild*

"Know that the third Spell Freeze has ended.....and the servants of the Furies have the means to create another."

"A combined effort of our own and the Company set out at first to seek the guidance of Khelban Blackstaff, only to be turned away because he had fallen gravely ill. In response to this a team moved to return to the Lower Sewers to make an effort to remove the Source of the Spell Freeze from beneath his tower."

"I abandoned said team to seek to gather Cornelius and Mistress Gardner to bolster our ranks. I found them within Serpentil Books & Folios where a fragment of fabled The Codicil of White was made available. Know that Jannaxil Serpentil upon selling us the fragment, demanded two hundred and fifty dragons a month to keep the transaction discreet. Should he not receive his payments, he has threatened to let the followers of the Frostmaiden know we have a fragment of their holy text. I have paid for the next two months of silence so that concern need not weigh over us immediately."

"After a brief studying of the fragment of the text we learned the following."

"The Ice Demons we have been combating are vulnerable to the power of lighting.

"The Demon Kringus is a potent demon with incredible powers of frost capable of slowing and or halting the flow of anything nearby."

"Having learned this, we raced to join those who set out for the lower sewers."

"Upon reuniting with the others within the lower sewers we drew back our assault effort to regroup and make use of our newly acquired lore. During our withdraw it was noted by members of the team that never before had they witnessed the canal waters flowing as rapidly or as clearly as they were."

"Sarenna lead us to New Olmann where she and Mistress Gardner discussed the Spell Freeze and the lore of the Codicil of White with a man named Thann who appeared extremely well versed in a variety of matters. Through the course of the conversation it was suspected that Servants of the Furies were using the Tide Pod to draw water to Kringus who then infused the waters with cold potent enough to spread Kringus's influence where it then flowed....effectively enlarging the area in which the Demon could slow and halt the flow of things.....such as the flow of Magic between us and the Weave."

"We then set out for the Plumber's Guild to see if we may find a means to hampering the waters that carried Kringus's influence. There we found representative Turnstone who denied there being maps or records that might show or document how the flood gates and systems of controls within the sewers maybe used to redirect waters."

*Vale visibly hesitates for a moment, before then resuming his announcement with no change in tone or matter of fact demeanor.*

"It was then then I noticed the Aboleth slime leaking from Goodman Turnstone's ear, and beat him unconsciousness."
"While some of us worked to see if there was anything that could be done to free Goodman Stoneturner from continued enthrallment tot he Aboleth, Kal discovered that upon Turnstone's desk were the records, diagrams, and maps we had came searching for."

"It was Kal who studied them and determined that for sometime Goodman Turnstone had been using the City's Money to open all the flood gates required to maximize the flow of the sewage system, and determined which gates would require closing to hamper and halt the cold waters of Kringus from spreading the reach of the Spell Freeze across the Region."

"Now....."

"Know that in time Jannaxil Serpentil's extortion efforts will be tended to.....for no though he is a distraction best paid to remain silent."

"Know that Stoneturner of the Plumber's Guild was discreetly taken to the Font of Knowledge and released.....I do not Know if he remains enthralled or not. What I do Know is that if he has been freed, then another of the Guld will be targeted to resume the Aboleth's Work within the Plumber's Guild."

"The Servants of the Furies have the means to once more induce the Spell Freeze so long as the Demon Kringus of Yule Tide remains."

"Know that with Kringus being the true source of the Spell Freeze.....when we face the Demon we will do so under the effects of such a Spell Freeze."

"I ask all of you to make preparations for the fight to come."
Last edited by jmecha on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

* Vale Addresses the Members of the Adventurer's Guild*

"Know that member's of the Waterdeep Watch came to the Guild House to arrest me, and bring me before the Magister on assault charges."

"While the Watch Members were present.....the Guild House was attacked by Frozen Ice Elementals and a Yeti."

"Some of the Watch escaped, and several were slain during the fighting."

"I then in the company of Nipsy Peanut Esquire and Majordomo Laird Briarbush presented myself to the Magister of South Gate."

"I confessed to having assaulted Turnstone of the Plumber's Guild. The Magister ruled a Fine was to be paid."

"Once that was settled......we explained to the Magister what had become of the Watchmen who had come to arrest me."

"Upon returning to the Guild House with the Magister, it was ruled that until a formal trial maybe arranged I was to be stripped of my weapons and placed under House Arrest with a strict curfew. I am not to be outside the Guild between the Hours of Sunset and Sunrise."

*he looks over the gathered*

"Know that this is an inconvenience that I can Endure.....I ask all of you not to allow this to distract you from the preparations that need to be made to confront the Demon Kringus of Yule Tide."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Vale stood between the Memorial Stone and the Members of the Guild gathered upon the gleaming tiles of the Lanceboard.*

"Know that Apprentice Tymor Sarifali has fallen to the deadly constructs of Blue Alley. He was there as part of an effort to see regents gathered for the potions of Form Stablization we are working to create for our effort against the Demon Kringus of Yuletide."

*Vale visably hesitates for a moment before he continues with a tone of sincerity and disappointment.*

"Tymora Sarifali was willing and eager to aid in the effort....he though was not properly prepared. I take responsiblity for such."

"I did not take the time to insure he was prepared to escape and evade the dangers we encountered. I did not insure he carried a potion of invisibility or other means of escape as I should have."

"Remember the lessons of Doctor Luther Von Mufflebop..."

"Preparation is the key to success."

*Vale them looks over the faces of those gathered.*

"We have worked to prepare to see the Demon Kringus of Yuletide returned to the Abyss from which it came. I now ask each of you to use these final hours to insure yourself prepared. See to your packing list, arms and armor...see the tools of your trade made fast and ready....Steel your Minds each and everyone of you....for soon our mettle is to be tested and our form shall be honed against the likes of which none of us have seen."

"Prepare to Dare and Beware.....together we will Endure, and by Enduring we will grow Stonger."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*A haggard looking Vale stands before the Adventurer's Guild and speaks with audible fatigue in his voice.*

Know that the Demon Kringus of Yule Tide was slain.

Some of you gave your lives in this effort....
Know that you have my sincere thanks for your sacrifice, and regardless if the People of this region come to Know what you have done for them or not....what you have done, has saved uncounted lives.

What you have seen....
What you have experinced...
What you have sacrficed...

I do not have words to give it proper context or meaning.
I can only say Thank You to each of you.

*Vale visably hesitates for a long moment before he continues*

Traditionally the Melting...the Time of Flowers...and Summertide are times of renewal and rebirth....

I ask all of you to embrace such traditions for you have earned them, and I believe such rejuvenation for the best...for all of us.

We Dared...
We Endured...

Now rest and recover, this is all I ask of you.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Vale stands between the Memorial Stone and the Remaining Members of the Adventurer's Guild*

I am here to inform you that Apprentice Clarianna Gardner, is now Journeyman Clarianna Gardner.

*Vale waits for a moment then continues.*

Know also....Master of Arcane Aglorus Stamaraster....has decided to leave the Adventurer's Guild to further his educational pursuits....elsewhere.

*Vale looks over the faces of the gather then steps down and begins walking to retire to his chambers."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Standing before the Memorial Stone with his bow upon his back and his blade at his side, Vale Clearwaters addresses the members of the Adventurer's Guild*

"Know that I have been declared Innocent of the Murder charges that were leveled against me. I am no longer subject to the restrictions of curfew."

"Know that the Magister's ruling of Innocent was due to the actions taken by Nipsy Peanut Esquire....he has proven himself most capable in legal matters and in the fight against the Cult of Kringus. We though maybe losing his most valued services as a retainer."

"After Nipsy's actions revealed corruption within the ranks of the City Watch....the Magister offered Nipsy a position within the Watch from which Nipsy's keen eye and critical mind may further be of service to the City."

"Regardless if Nipsy Peanut Esquire takes this offered position with the City Watch or remains eligible as a retainer of this Guild....I would ask all of you to recgonize him as a most capable ally in the effort to serve the People of this City."
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Standing before the assembled members of the Adventurer's Guild of Waterdeep, Vale Clearwaters makes an announcement*

Wren Bluefeather has been accepted among us an an Apprentice.

I ask each of you work to provide her the education she will need to survive.
Work with her and see her trained to come to Know the Rat Hills.

Remember well when you were new to this City of Splendors and the lessons you learned and the challenges you yourself faced.
Take care to be a guide to her as she navigates her own.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

*Vale stands before the gathered and announces clearly to members of the Adventurer's Guild.*

Know that Trin Stonemender has been elevated to Journeyman.

*Vale then respectfully inclines his head to those before him and steps away.*