Responsible adventuring.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

valn99
Owlbear

Re: Responsible adventuring.

Post by valn99 »

Let's not punish everyone, heh? ;)

I do try to pick up a lot of stuff, but there's junk that's not worth anything. So perhaps not have those in the loot in the first place?
And there's also some loot that's incredibly heavy (looking at you, trollskins!)
NWN1 PC:
Now (2017): Bran, naive servant of Lathander, currently thinking about opening a potion shop.
circa 2000: JenWa, proud mother duck and half-crazed sorceress of Shadowdale.

NW2 PC: Kasil Trueforger, dwarven scholar of Felbarr.

Garlus Ironbeard: [d] I was sure there was a reason we brought you along.
Kevorn Trueforger: [d] I'm da funny one and ye're da smart one.
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Also, from someone who’s spent way too much time reminding like 3 people to lock the damn door only to have the damn door sitting wide open when I log on in, a remains clearing script doesn’t sound bad at all. Unless it clears DM drops and corpses too. If it just cleared remains, 11/10.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

valn99 wrote:Let's not punish everyone, heh? ;)
Remember, the penguin is DM. This is more likely to be incentive!
valn99 wrote:And there's also some loot that's incredibly heavy (looking at you, trollskins!)
YOU TIDY UP YOUR DAMN TROLLSKINS YOU LAZY CLERIC!
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

I do try to pick up a lot of stuff, but there's junk that's not worth anything. So perhaps not have those in the loot in the first place?
And there's also some loot that's incredibly heavy (looking at you, trollskins!)
I hear DF sells Bags of Holding made specifically for Troll Skins.
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

So as someone who has rolled through Yintros with more than 1 PC, and unless he was running for dear life, ALWAYS cleaned up the loot drops I will say that often my inventory was completely full and there were still a lot of drops left behind. I remember times I couldn't even unequip my weapon for lack of inventory space. The same holds true for the Dungeon of the Crypt, where skeletons drop very heavy and huge tower shields, large shields and decrepit weapons that cannot be sold. That being the case, it would actually be IC for an adventurer who knows they can't be sold to leave them behind and just focus on the valuable stuff.

Now, I agree with Ayergo and others who think any rampant PGing coupled with leaving behind a mess of laggy loot drops needs to be addressed player side, but there are other reasons why this may be happening in certain areas. In Yintros, the drops are often just too numerous to haul it all out, even in a group. In Dungeon of the Crypt, many drops are numerous, take up large swaths of inventory, very heavy AND worthless. The only other place I have seen major loot drops being left around is the rat hills which are sometimes littered with tails. I suspect this is caused by higher levels clearing a way to collect ichor or mining in the caves for crafting. They leave the rat tails behind because after a certain level you can't claim bounty for them and they take up valuable inventory space and weight for what they are really after which is ichor and/or ore for crafting. Based on this, I think adding your script to select areas is a good idea Ayergo. The mess may not actually be due to the behavior problem you suspect.

Now, that said, if a high level is blowing through the sewers and leaving behind tons of goblin ears and CLW potions please go ahead and spawn a patrol of ogres on their head. :twisted: Why anyone would do this for the 1 or 2 xp per kill is beyond me, but meh.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Even with a whole lot of loot bags with bellies dropping, you can still pick them up and put into 10 bags, instead of leaving as 100
12.August.2015: Never forget.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Senor T wrote:I will dare voice the sordid opinion that PGing has always been a part of ALFA and always will be as long as it continues to offer things to kill that provide a reward. Players of a game will attempt to maximize reward. Cause it’s a game.*

The issue has always been making it a fair game. Perhaps the xp reward for yintros just needs adjusted to reduce incentive?

If remains didn’t cause lag, would this have become an issue?

*I like RP too, nerds.
Fair point, it would still be an issue I think because farming low level content prevents low level chars from doing it.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Senor T wrote:
Remember, the penguin is DM. This is more likely to be incentive!
valn99 wrote:And there's also some loot that's incredibly heavy (looking at you, trollskins!)
YOU TIDY UP YOUR DAMN TROLLSKINS YOU LAZY CLERIC!

If you are managing to leave thousands of troll skins in your wake you are god-tier.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Senor T wrote:Also, from someone who’s spent way too much time reminding like 3 people to lock the damn door only to have the damn door sitting wide open when I log on in, a remains clearing script doesn’t sound bad at all. Unless it clears DM drops and corpses too. If it just cleared remains, 11/10.

Unfortunately that's the downside. I can't just leave items out for people to find in those areas if I implement it.
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

ayergo wrote:Fair point, it would still be an issue I think because farming low level content prevents low level chars from doing it.
I think yintros is repopulated at a ridiculous rate anyway. But this is also fair. But reducing incentive for certain levels is also as easy as reducing xp given for those levels only.
ayergo wrote:Something about god level for lots of troll skins.
He is a cleric of Lathander. His god would most certainly want his minions picking up after themselves!
ayergo again wrote:whines about not being able to leave loot out for us... wait that’s a good point. I like loot!
I’d go back to reducing xp then. That’s how you broke my dwem habit after all. The joke’s on you though because I’m only 59 xp away from leveling again after multiple months! Ha!

...Yeah, this is not a challenge for you to prevent that.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Senor T wrote:
ayergo wrote:Fair point, it would still be an issue I think because farming low level content prevents low level chars from doing it.
I think yintros is repopulated at a ridiculous rate anyway. But this is also fair. But reducing incentive for certain levels is also as easy as reducing xp given for those levels only.
ayergo wrote:Something about god level for lots of troll skins.
He is a cleric of Lathander. His god would most certainly want his minions picking up after themselves!
ayergo again wrote:whines about not being able to leave loot out for us... wait that’s a good point. I like loot!
I’d go back to reducing xp then. That’s how you broke my dwem habit after all. The joke’s on you though because I’m only 59 xp away from leveling again after multiple months! Ha!

...Yeah, this is not a challenge for you to prevent that.
Yeah, the XP balance thing is tough especially with casual vs. hardcore. If a filthy casual wants to hop in sometime and run yintros I think that's cool, I don't want to shut that out. I already once reduced the cuf-off for XP, but haven't removed the minimum of 1xp yet. I don't want to cut people off from gaining XP at all though from low mobs, otherwise it prevents high level chars from wanting to adventure with lowbies at all or prevent proper rewards for "zerg rush" mobs.

My preferred solution in this case is to have the CR adjust itself and murder the highbies with hell beetles when they show up. :flame:
Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

ayergo wrote: My preferred solution in this case is to have the CR adjust itself and murder the highbies with hell beetles when they show up. :flame:
I like this option!
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Hell beetles. Alright then.

The other issue is lag will still accumulate with drops tho. Maybe a daily scheduled wipe during an off hour so long as no-one’s on? Just a thought. Lag is bad.
valn99
Owlbear

Post by valn99 »

Honestly, with a full plate and tower shield in my equipment, even 1 trollskin is too heavy. :P
NWN1 PC:
Now (2017): Bran, naive servant of Lathander, currently thinking about opening a potion shop.
circa 2000: JenWa, proud mother duck and half-crazed sorceress of Shadowdale.

NW2 PC: Kasil Trueforger, dwarven scholar of Felbarr.

Garlus Ironbeard: [d] I was sure there was a reason we brought you along.
Kevorn Trueforger: [d] I'm da funny one and ye're da smart one.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Spawn Hell Beetle On Enter (Keryn)