Responsible adventuring.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

Rumple C
Bard

Responsible adventuring.

Post by Rumple C »

Remember that time you got a lot of lag?

It could be because of loot bags left by messy adventuring.

Loose loot bags leave lag!

So, please be a responsible adventurer and clean up after yourself. Even if you don't want those 100 rusty short swords, please pick them up and consolidate it all into -1- loot bag rather than 100.

Same with rat corpses, puddles of ichor, fire beetle bellies and the like. Proper housekeeping saves lives!
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Re: Responsible adventuring.

Post by Rick7475 »

For the environmentally conscious adventurer, I think the Lords of Waterdeep should provide trash barrels in the deepest dungeons and sewers!!!
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Rick7475 wrote:For the environmentally conscious adventurer, I think the Lords of Waterdeep should provide trash barrels in the deepest dungeons and sewers!!!
This is a great idea. Would not even have to be a barrel item. Could label a hole in the floor for it or something. Great place to dispose of a body too.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

The only time I leave loot around is when my inventory is full or I am encumbered. A simple chest here or there in dungeons that is not trapped or locked and is empty can deal with this issue.

Bags of Holding would be nice too =D
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Leaving a few things here and there isn't a problem and the server can handle it.

The real issue is people who repeatedly hit the same area over and over, running through and not picking up anything. While there are indeed technical issues I can implement to solve this, it appears to be more of a people problem to me and I would rather not encourage this behavior.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

Bags of Holding for sale in Daggerford, I heard there were some at Black Helm Tower ...
Gaia_Nostra
Brown Bear

Post by Gaia_Nostra »

On another server, somewhere back in time, there was a customization to the DMFI tool that let the players "build a campfire". A neat little side effect was that the fire was actually a container. You could drop any unwanted items into the fire. When you selected the option to "extinguish the campfire" anything within the container was removed from game. It was like having a portable trash can with you at all times.

I assume this was some custom content pulled from the vault, but I haven't been able to find it myself. Is that something we could find (or create) and implement?
If the enemy is an ass and a fool and a rating
coxcomb, is it meet, think you, that we should also,
look you, be an ass and a fool and a prating
coxcomb? in your own conscience, now?

Former Characters:
(Silverymoon): Q’arq Olafstenza Fry
(Waterdeep/Daggerford): Angus Porter, Cleric of Torm (aka the Slipshod Sergeant)
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Gaia_Nostra wrote:On another server, somewhere back in time, there was a customization to the DMFI tool that let the players "build a campfire". A neat little side effect was that the fire was actually a container. You could drop any unwanted items into the fire. When you selected the option to "extinguish the campfire" anything within the container was removed from game. It was like having a portable trash can with you at all times.

I assume this was some custom content pulled from the vault, but I haven't been able to find it myself. Is that something we could find (or create) and implement?
We have this for NWN2, but I don't recall seeing it for NWN1.
Talk less. Listen more.

ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Gaia_Nostra wrote:On another server, somewhere back in time, there was a customization to the DMFI tool that let the players "build a campfire". A neat little side effect was that the fire was actually a container. You could drop any unwanted items into the fire. When you selected the option to "extinguish the campfire" anything within the container was removed from game. It was like having a portable trash can with you at all times.

I have one better, I just have a script that on exit will go and clean things off the ground. I put it in for Yintros and can add it elsewhere if needed, but it occurred to me "Why am I doing this?"

This issue is NOT technical. Leaving a few items isn't an issue. Swapping your spare shield for that +1 club you found isn't going to crash the server.

The problem is that some players have taken a strategy of repeatedly farming a single low level area, sprinting through as fast as possible slaying everything and not bothering to even pick up anything afterwards. Especially for low level content you quickly have thousands and thousands of items on the ground, which for some reason occupies more memory than anything else in game.

This problem is entirely behavioral. ALFA has never been about sprinting through the same area over and over to maximize gains, and I realized that any technical solution I implemented would only encourage this behavior. Clearly if someone can't even be bothered to pick up healing potions off fallen foes then they won't be making campfires to dump stuff in to. Rather than trying to lower rewards or make auto cleaning scripts I have decided its better to correct the player actions in this case.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

ayergo wrote:
This problem is entirely behavioral. ALFA has never been about sprinting through the same area over and over to maximize gains, and I realized that any technical solution I implemented would only encourage this behavior. Clearly if someone can't even be bothered to pick up healing potions off fallen foes then they won't be making campfires to dump stuff in to. Rather than trying to lower rewards or make auto cleaning scripts I have decided its better to correct the player actions in this case.
Good on ya. I welcome this.
Talk less. Listen more.

Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

ayergo wrote:This problem is entirely behavioral. ALFA has never been about sprinting through the same area over and over to maximize gains, and I realized that any technical solution I implemented would only encourage this behavior. Clearly if someone can't even be bothered to pick up healing potions off fallen foes then they won't be making campfires to dump stuff in to. Rather than trying to lower rewards or make auto cleaning scripts I have decided its better to correct the player actions in this case.

I agree :)

I do believe TLR has the DMFI tool that you could build campfires back in the day.. I seem to remember to but it may be old age causing me to get confused.
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

I will dare voice the sordid opinion that PGing has always been a part of ALFA and always will be as long as it continues to offer things to kill that provide a reward. Players of a game will attempt to maximize reward. Cause it’s a game.*

The issue has always been making it a fair game. Perhaps the xp reward for yintros just needs adjusted to reduce incentive?

If remains didn’t cause lag, would this have become an issue?

*I like RP too, nerds.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Gaia_Nostra
Brown Bear

Post by Gaia_Nostra »

Senor T wrote:The issue has always been making it a fair game. Perhaps the xp reward for yintros just needs adjusted to reduce incentive?
I know....you start getting negative XP at a certain level.
If the enemy is an ass and a fool and a rating
coxcomb, is it meet, think you, that we should also,
look you, be an ass and a fool and a prating
coxcomb? in your own conscience, now?

Former Characters:
(Silverymoon): Q’arq Olafstenza Fry
(Waterdeep/Daggerford): Angus Porter, Cleric of Torm (aka the Slipshod Sergeant)
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Or perhaps a nice garbage can / lava hole that excess rubbish can be tossed into by those not wishing to pack out their garbage
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

-20 XP per loot bag left when you exit a dungeon?
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's