Loot Splitting - Dungeon Kill Points

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

oldgrayrogue
Retired

Re: Loot Splitting - Dungeon Kill Points

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Wild Wombat wrote: *I only posted because I am compelled to take the opposite position of OGR. This is PvP, after all. And he is a Yankees fan.
My crowning glory achievement since coming to play on WD was Kiir rolling a 3 on a D20 to beat Murgen's 2 for a pretty nifty ammy loot reward. PWND!

One other thing to consider on this topic, and I tend to agree with Rumple here, is that there really is no shortage of really nice loot coming our way from adventuring, whether by loot note or mob drops. Last night we raided the Crypt of Chauntea and picked up like 3 +2 weapons, and 4-5 +1 weapons in loot drops, and that was before the loot note. I LOVE that adventuring brings the possibility of positive returns on both WD and DF. My point is there is plenty of nice loot coming our way, and in time I think everyone gets theirs.
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Peter_Abelard »

Nice! Way to venture, adventurers! :D
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Post by Akivaria »

People should roll d20 for loot. That is fair and impartial, and it shouldn't matter if someone thinks an item is meant for them. Nothing is stopping you from making an offer, and nor is anything stopping the DM from rewarding said item directly.
"This is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

Current PC: Alora Tuffet-Hopper, foul-mouthed and irreverent bard
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Dice are fair and impartial, but not balanced. Random and arbitrary by nature.

Nor does DKP preclude the best loot going to who can use it best. It just balances picks over time. And it accounts for the quality of those picks.

It would take more time. Yes, it will take more time to resolve a problem you may not be having but others are.

It is OOC. Sort of. Who’s to say such accounting couldn’t be done IC? All we’re doing is tracking things in a spreadsheet. Besides, we do OOC stuff that influences the game every time we send a tell.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Peter_Abelard »

If I have one loot wish, it’s that everyone gets the experience of having a piece of gear that helps typify and expand their character, like Thor’s hammer, or Cap’s shield, or Arryn’s Lucille. As a character development tool, such an item is gold, aside from its particular brand of combat kick assness.
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Peter_Abelard wrote:If I have one loot wish, it’s that everyone gets the experience of having a piece of gear that helps typify and expand their character, like Thor’s hammer, or Cap’s shield, or Arryn’s Lucille. As a character development tool, such an item is gold, aside from its particular brand of combat kick assness.
Well, Kalo has his sword ... Lora could hardly contain her ecstasy at the sight of it.
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Skipping most of the thread as it seems to have devolved into a WOW discussion (sorry, want to log in somewhere soon). This was *almost* more frustrating than frequent bugs, tech deaths and our complete lack of documentation.... OOC, we're supposed to be a community. IC you might be a greedy thief, but OOC I hope we all realize some of us can't last 18 hours in a single session, but would still like to get some loot IC. Seems pretty obvious we need a meta system to handle a meta problem? My experience is largely that loot splitting after a long crawl is an IC thing, and only those that can last get to have a voice #smh

Arelith had a really weird (to me at first) system where a toon with the capacity (STR and inventory space) just collected everything. Rogues would frequently trap/unlock/search, then step back to let the mage ID, then the Barb would pick it all up. Once in town, we'd discuss anything too nice to sell, someone would merch it all, and (even if their toon was to dumb) do the math to hand everyone their fair share. Yes, you could RP a *slight of hand* to try to sneak something. I'm sure some folk lied OOC. At the end of the day, it made it all feel much more like PnP - looting a dungeon, heading back to town, enjoying your spoils.

While all that usually happened real time, frequently somebody needed to drop either during, or right at the end of the adventure. Whomever had the loot, just kept a note and got it to them next login. This is a bigger issue on a server where gold has weight, but not really that hard.

I'm suggesting we treat loot splitting as the meta problem it is. If you want to RP sneaking an item out of a chest, fine. If you want to RP being the aggressive bully that demands more than your share fine. But do so when folk are online and fresh, not at 3 AM after they logged.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Fionn wrote: Arelith had a really weird (to me at first) system where a toon with the capacity (STR and inventory space) just collected everything. Rogues would frequently trap/unlock/search, then step back to let the mage ID, then the Barb would pick it all up. Once in town, we'd discuss anything too nice to sell, someone would merch it all, and (even if their toon was to dumb) do the math to hand everyone their fair share. Yes, you could RP a *slight of hand* to try to sneak something. I'm sure some folk lied OOC. At the end of the day, it made it all feel much more like PnP - looting a dungeon, heading back to town, enjoying your spoils.
Sounds pretty much like how Lafter/Mashan ran things. ONE PC picked things up until that PC ran out of ENC or inventory space. It worked pretty well once a certain Half-Orc was out of the picture so that the spoils were split evenly (or so it seemed to me).

I would be fine if somebody like Mr. T simply took over the doling out of loot, including items to the PCs he felt deserved it. I loath the random method and think there should be rational thought applied, even if it is Meta. Even if PCs / players that had to drop out half way through the adventure due to RL got a share.

Oh and hello Fionn.
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Wild Wombat wrote:
Fionn wrote:Oh and hello Fionn.
Hey yourself WW :)
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /