July Gaming and Updates!

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

oldgrayrogue
Retired

Re: July Gaming and Updates!

Post by oldgrayrogue »

I may not be on until like 8:30 ET

As far as ideas Kiir really wants to try to find Arryn's corpse or avenge him. Don't think we can do that without Keryn, so . . . .

1. Kiir has discovered a new path to a waterfall behind the ruins in the Southern woods occupied by the cultists. He believes this new path may lead to a cultist base similar to the cave they just scouted near Daggerford. Given the number of cultists Kiir has seen in both areas, and their absence from the roads surrounding those areas, Kiir suspects there may be some kind of magic portal linking the two (or more) cultist base camps. Lt. Silverblade in Daggerford was asking about such a portal which corroborated his suspicion. Anyway, Kiir wants to put together a force to raid the South woods again, follow the new waterfall path and kill all the cultists they find. KTHXBYE :twisted:

2. Go with Bran and Keryn's idea, whatever it may be.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

oldgrayrogue wrote:I may not be on until like 8:30 ET

As far as ideas Kiir really wants to try to find Arryn's corpse or avenge him. Don't think we can do that without Keryn, so . . . .

1. Kiir has discovered a new path to a waterfall behind the ruins in the Southern woods occupied by the cultists. He believes this new path may lead to a cultist base similar to the cave they just scouted near Daggerford. Given the number of cultists Kiir has seen in both areas, and their absence from the roads surrounding those areas, Kiir suspects there may be some kind of magic portal linking the two (or more) cultist base camps. Lt. Silverblade in Daggerford was asking about such a portal which corroborated his suspicion. Anyway, Kiir wants to put together a force to raid the South woods again, follow the new waterfall path and kill all the cultists they find. KTHXBYE :twisted:
That one you don't need me for, and in fact there's a loot note there if you pull it off!
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

I'm kinda shot for ideas. Been there, done that. I'll be on and we will see what happens.

However (and this is not addressed to you Ayergo, but for general consumption), it should be no surprise, since I have said this several times: my preference for DM led events has been and will always be for a mix of intrigue and combat. There can be too much of either. I seem to be in the minority on this and I understand that. But being in the minority does not mean that I can't lobby for what I like.

If I have ruffled feathers by saying the above, sorry. I won't bring it up again now that I have said it.
Retired NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

NWN2 (Failed Experiment): Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

From 8pm eastern till 9pm, I will be unavailable due to a prior engagement. If I can catch up with all of you I will, if not sorry I missed out.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I am not sure it is a question of intrigue vs combat. Both can be done without a dm. There is a lot of both happening in WD sans DM, though players have their own ratios that make them happy.

It is more a question of how can we cooperate with the DM to try and advance the plot? How can we best utilize the precious time when DM and players mass gather?

Sometimes beating the shit out of the right enemy in the right place at the right time will advance the plot. Other times it might be using words or skills.

The trap can be that prolonged intrigue does not always keep all players engaged if their skillset is redundant or irrelevant. If only 1 or 2 players can stand in the spotlight (for a long period of time) and make things happen, then that is probably better off done in a session set up with the DM away from the main game night.

For best use of DM session time players need to figure out what they want to do in advance and let the pingoo know. That way we get in as much intrigue and not intrigue as possible.

I'd even suggest more sharing of info during the week, in game and over the forums. That way the first hour isn't spent repeating the same info to each new PC who walks in the door asking what is going on.

2 coppers worth
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Just to add onto that ww. All combat and nothing else is not my ideal session either. Ideally we just want to make sure that whatever we do will advance the plot, rather than retread failed paths.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
valn99
Owlbear

Post by valn99 »

All right, Bran will follow through on the vision he received after performing Divination.
In association with a cleric of Umberlee, Bran will venture into the first level of Umberlee's Cache to retrieve a stolen sacred shell from the lizards.
Lizards are breeding there.
So expect strong opposition.
The cleric will provide water breathing potions.
Think carefully what armor you want to wear, those armor penalty to speed while in water are unforgiving, unless you have a very high swim score!
Freedom of movements seems to work well, but has a very short duration (1turn/level).

Let's meet in SH tonight, if you are interested.
NWN1 PC:
Now (2017): Bran, naive servant of Lathander, currently thinking about opening a potion shop.
circa 2000: JenWa, proud mother duck and half-crazed sorceress of Shadowdale.

NW2 PC: Kasil Trueforger, dwarven scholar of Felbarr.

Garlus Ironbeard: [d] I was sure there was a reason we brought you along.
Kevorn Trueforger: [d] I'm da funny one and ye're da smart one.
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

valn99 wrote: Think carefully what armor you want to wear, those armor penalty to speed while in water are unforgiving, unless you have a very high swim score!
Freedom of movements seems to work well, but has a very short duration (1turn/level).
Swim is a skill? What?

Its not listed on the NWN1 wiki or in my manuals, so I am completely clueless. Where can I find swim and the penalties from armor.

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Totally agree with Rumple on the intrigue combat mix and best use of DM time.

Kiir is up for Bran's Lizard egg hunt -- no armor check penalties for him!

WW Swim skill is based on STR check I believe and does not require training. If you click on the skill in your player tab it might give you the armor DC's etc.
valn99
Owlbear

Post by valn99 »

Penalty from armor for swimming should be the Armor check penalty (listed on your armor and shield).
High STRENGTH should help.
Resulting score is factured in how much your PC's speed is reduced.
For example, naked Bran's speed is reduced by 54%. While wearing full plate, it's at 87%. So you can imagine I wouldn't use a towershield. ;)
Swim also helps you hold your breath longer.
NWN1 PC:
Now (2017): Bran, naive servant of Lathander, currently thinking about opening a potion shop.
circa 2000: JenWa, proud mother duck and half-crazed sorceress of Shadowdale.

NW2 PC: Kasil Trueforger, dwarven scholar of Felbarr.

Garlus Ironbeard: [d] I was sure there was a reason we brought you along.
Kevorn Trueforger: [d] I'm da funny one and ye're da smart one.
Stormbringer
Owlbear

Post by Stormbringer »

I have to bail tonight.. started with back spasms and now progressed to the flu.
And I already had new PC in mind.
Current PC:
Former PC's
Saman Barb/Sorcerer
Kal Rogue/Ranger of Selune
Aiden Ketter Priest of Kelemvor
Kree (ubber not smart Barb)
Past PC: Jena Steel | Hamar Marrion (Marcus)and many other dead PC's
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Charlie don't surf...

... and Murgen don't swim.

I *think* that even Faerun Dwarves have an aversion to water and Murgen had never seen the ocean until he got to Waterdeep. I am not saying that he won't go, but this is a big ask of him!

Twilighteyes
Dire Badger

Post by Twilighteyes »

Wow - a Clash reference!! Awesome.

But I thought dorfs had, like, negative buoyancy, sink like a stone.

Maybe Murgen can fight the catfish and the crabs. You know, the bottom feeders.
Currently playing - nobody
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

Wild Wombat wrote:I'm kinda shot for ideas. Been there, done that. I'll be on and we will see what happens.

However (and this is not addressed to you Ayergo, but for general consumption), it should be no surprise, since I have said this several times: my preference for DM led events has been and will always be for a mix of intrigue and combat. There can be too much of either. I seem to be in the minority on this and I understand that. But being in the minority does not mean that I can't lobby for what I like.

If I have ruffled feathers by saying the above, sorry. I won't bring it up again now that I have said it.
I agree with WW. I would prefer to see DM'd sessions challenging us with the skills we have chosen.
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson
Cleasor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Cleasor »

valn99 wrote:All right, Bran will follow through on the vision he received after performing Divination.
In association with a cleric of Umberlee, Bran will venture into the first level of Umberlee's Cache to retrieve a stolen sacred shell from the lizards.
Lizards are breeding there.
So expect strong opposition.
The cleric will provide water breathing potions.
Think carefully what armor you want to wear, those armor penalty to speed while in water are unforgiving, unless you have a very high swim score!

Let's meet in SH tonight, if you are interested.
Jack has a very good Swim skill level
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience." Vilhjalmur Stefansson