Mod 2.0 Bug Thread

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, NWN1 - WD DM

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Re: Mod 2.0 Bug Thread

Post by ImStrokerAce »

In Pugor's pawnshop in area 3Z does not have a dialogue.. He just stands there ignoring me; how rude!

Previously reported, it never had a dialogue.
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Mick wrote:The orcs in the Sword Mountains are now giving no XP at all for some PCs. Ragnar was the only one to get any for a couple of them...and he was unconscious on the ground when they were killed.

Is there an old ALFA script of diminishing xp returns that was implemented to prevent farming that could be in play here? If so, I think we should give serious thought to taking it out. They are too dangerous to be worth nothing, methinks.
Could be, but I suspect more likely that cr is just not set right. Don't have a schedule to rework these spawns but if any are on the road report and I will remove them.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Just had a very fun (and scary) trek with Hijo.

Megaspawns are the norm in the rat hills. We caught one of at least a dozen and spent a lot of spells and healing to get through that. Then we caught another which forced us, injured, to flee the wrong direction into goblin territory.

Once in goblin lands it didn't get any easier. We caught a not-quite-megaspawn of goblins atop the hill. The encounter was difficult and quite realistic in many ways. There were steath goblins sneak-attacking. There were shaman with quite a lot of spell power .... and shaman healing one another. There were disarming attacks (which were sadly successful both on Hijo and Tragnar and nearly cost us our lives ;) ).

Issue 1 .... the goblins "speak" in the dialogue box something a (parphrase) "cause due to script error".

Issue 2 .... neither PC received any experience for any of the goblins in a very challenging encounter. (Same thing for the orcs in the Sword moutnains btw)

Issue 3: The respawn rate was quick.... we had to fight 4 or 5 then very quickly, before we had killed all of the first set, another spawed on top of us.

---

We had to camp out for a number of hours at that point in order for Tragnar to rest up and get some spells...

One the way out we caught not only the rat mega-spawn that we had fled in the first place but then yet another pile that spawned right on top us.

We made it out alive ... and the whole thing made for some great play and RP .... just giving a heads up :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

What areas?
What is a "megaspawn"?
Sounds like some script problems.
Disarm attacks normal, the goblin MO is to incapacitate you before killing.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

dergon darkhelm wrote:
Issue 3: The respawn rate was quick.... we had to fight 4 or 5 then very quickly, before we had killed all of the first set, another spawed on top of us.
)
Are you sure they spawned on top of you and weren't sneaking up on you? I programmed them to use stealth. Oh, and also they particularly hate dwarves. :)
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

ayergo wrote:
dergon darkhelm wrote:
)
Are you sure they spawned on top of you and weren't sneaking up on you? I programmed them to use stealth. Oh, and also they particularly hate dwarves. :)

Maybe .... but if so they waited for like 20 rounds before deciding to attack.

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

I'll add my cents in here to try and clear up (or confuse) the matter :-)
The 'Megaspawns' from what I can tell is a double or triple sized version of the normal spawn numbers. 4-6 dires, 6-10 normal and 2-3 Ashrats. They also have a nasty habit of appearing all around you after you've patrolled through the area once. It's all cool if that's intentional, but it is rather deadly. The area that this happened in was by the across bridge by the sewer access cave, and below the Ratman cave.
The Goblins did seem to like attacking Tragnar more, so your script for that works quite well :-) It 'could' have been that the Goblins were sneaking up, I just usually see them when they are stealthed and this time did not. (ps: nice touch with the disarms, That was scary enough so I re-mapped my quickbar!)
If it is at all important: I remember it as "clause due to script error"
In any fashion, it was a scary good time where we were both doubting our ability to get out of there alive :-)
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Glad you had fun with it and thanks for the report! I think I found the area, the area with the tower in it and the bridge?
Yeah, some old spawn points that included some of rick's old spawns but mostly my gobbos. On that note, was disarm gobbo armed with a whip/shield and kind of grey-ish or was he green and wearing armor (goblin elite)?

I think a fair chance that the gobbos took a while to get to you, as they walked/snuck from the other side of the map when they heard their bretheren's call to arms. I'll continue to monitor it though and see. As stated previously, an individual goblin is not difficult but they will use group tactics to incapacitate you and slowly wear you down. :) That being said, there shouldn't have been goblins there in the first place and I'll remove them for the next rev.

Rat respawn/megaspawn has continued to be a problem, I have some ideas and I'll try to push a "fix" in about 12 hours or so and you can let me know if it is better. I think the "double spawns" are actually to do with the RNG. For some of the spawn points about 1/4 of the time they'll spawn just one or two rats for each iteration. I've tried to even it out to make it more predictable and add in more chances for the marsupials (higher HPs). I might try and also add some loot containers in the rat hills since my blackwell tests have been mostly successful.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Oh, and yeah gobbo rewards are still being worked on. Sorry for the no XP!
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

I think a fair chance that the gobbos took a while to get to you, as they walked/snuck from the other side of the map when they heard their bretheren's call to arms.
That totally makes sense .... fits the distribution of attack more than a respawn or us simply not having seen them the whole time.

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

ayergo wrote: On that note, was disarm gobbo armed with a whip/shield and kind of grey-ish or was he green and wearing armor (goblin elite)?
It was kinda hard to tell what armor he/she (who can tell with Goblins!) had on due to the barkskin that the sneaky little bastard cast :-) There was a whip involved though .
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

ImStrokerAce wrote:
ayergo wrote: On that note, was disarm gobbo armed with a whip/shield and kind of grey-ish or was he green and wearing armor (goblin elite)?
It was kinda hard to tell what armor he/she (who can tell with Goblins!) had on due to the barkskin that the sneaky little bastard cast :-)
Aha! That tells me what I need to know, thanks! Yes, that is the goblin "Beastmaster" tank. Actually a shaman/druid with a whip and shield there to soak up your attacks and disarm the fighters while the dogs use knockdown on the mages. Not much attack or damage but a good distraction. I've been modeling my goblins after different goblin deities that they follow.
Khurgorbaeyag
Game background
Title(s) The Overseer
Home plane Infernal Battlefield of Acheron
Power level Lesser
Alignment Lawful Evil
Portfolio Slavery, oppression, morale
Design details
In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, Khurgorbaeyag is the goblin deity of Slavery, Oppression, and Morale. He acts as a trusted lieutenant of Maglubiyet though he secretly harbors a desire to rule the goblin pantheon himself. His symbol is a whip with red and yellow stripes.

Khurgorbaeyag's shamans and priests are strictly regimented. They strive to capture foes in combat rather than kill them in order to acquire more slaves for their tribe.

Priests of Khurgorbaeyag wear red scale mail and war helmets. They carry whips, which is their god's holy symbol. The wolf is considered by Khurgorbaeyag's priests to be a holy animal and they often keep them as pets.

Ritual public torture is known as "instruction" among the followers of Khurgorbaeyag, as it is intended to instruct slaves as to their proper place in the world. Joint ceremonies involving both goblins and bugbears are not uncommon.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

All of that is really cool and realistic (as fantasy goes) and your efforts there are much appreciated.

But I will be honest...knowing that I could wade into something like that or a wad of orcs, use all of my healing or other resources, maybe die, and get zero XP makes me very leery of going out and doing anything, even in a large group. I'm having great fun on server and with the gang, but it can all end in one encounter and then we are left with going back to farming enough rats to get up to 3rd level.

Please fix the reward system?
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Mick wrote:All of that is really cool and realistic (as fantasy goes) and your efforts there are much appreciated.

But I will be honest...knowing that I could wade into something like that or a wad of orcs, use all of my healing or other resources, maybe die, and get zero XP makes me very leery of going out and doing anything, even in a large group. I'm having great fun on server and with the gang, but it can all end in one encounter and then we are left with going back to farming enough rats to get up to 3rd level.

Please fix the reward system?
Agree 100%, it is why I put the warning on the goblins when pushing the update. I had to choose between pushing partial gobbo update and fixing shark rats. I had hoped my warning about them would be enough but some popped up in unexpected places.

I can remove odd spawns short term. 3.0 release will take care of goblin rewards. For now avoid!
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

My original post for reference. It still seems pretty accurate:
ayergo wrote:The goblins in the sewers are rumored to be more organized and patrolling in areas using trained dogs.

((Part of my work for the 3.0 release, including AI are in place. I haven't adjusted rewards and other issues yet though. While the goblins don't hit hard they will ambush, incapacitate, and murder you.))
Why aren't rewards fixed? I tried to push a server wide update to XP that is more friendly, you've probably seen it in play on the rats. The issue is that if the CR for a creature is set too low you won't get any XP no matter what system you use. That means I have to identify each creature in the scripts for the area, manually go in, and adjust its CR. A long process!