Rugo's Tales and Songs (TSM & BG - mature)

For 18+ stories, poems and other creative art.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Rugo's Tales and Songs (TSM & BG - mature)

Post by johnlewismcleod »

Rugo tells a tale in Rivermoot
by johnlewismcleod on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:38 am

Sitting at the table outside the Angler's Inn in Rivermoot, Rugo launches into a tale for Gaius Hammidi, Marcus Wands, Quin Silverscript, Hashan Pathers, and Garlus Ironbeard. He becomes increasingly animated as he weaves the tale, often leaping onto the tabletop to act out parts. He paused frequently to take pulls at a bottle of rum, and most of his audience found his dialect a bit slurred from drink and were somewhat distracted when he occassionally lost his balance and fell off the table (perform roll of 7 )......

"On the eastern tip o’ the Earthfast Mounterns, sits the ghostburg o’ Stavoren. It be nay two score years past that it were one o’ the great tradin’ ports o’ the Easting Reachs. Its ships plied the Seas o’ Fallen Stars ‘n’ the Moonseas as well an’ brought great wealth to the merchernts ‘oo did live there. But fer the wickedness an’ arrogance o’ a very rich wench, Stavoren migh’ still be welcomin’ Faerun’s great merchernt ships an’ sea farin’ adventurers.

The wench o’ which I be speakin’ were the young widow o’ the wealthy merchernt Vurnus Stavos. Lord Stavos were far an’ away the richest merchernt o’ Stavoren, but this were nay ‘nough fer to please the wench Stavos. She were often heard t’ spake tha’ Lord Stavos’s cap’ns, o’ which me cap’n Red were the most trusted, would be bringin’ more riches home t’ port if we were adventurin’ an’ pillagin’ rather than tradin’ in goods.
She did much enjoy ‘er status as the wealthiest wench in Stavoren. She were forever givin’ parties an’ havin’ feasts an’ wha’ nay fer the other merchernts. She took great pleasures invitin’ ‘er rivals t’ gaze upon the many treasures Lord Stavos an’ his cap’ns had amassed fer her. O’ course human nature bein’ as it be, they tried to mimic her an’ match her possessions wif treasures o’ their own. Ever an’ anon they did succeed, an’ this would cause ‘er nay end o’ foul tempermernt.

At one o’ these gatherin’s wench Stavos did make show o’ a great diamond ring Lord Stavos ‘ad jus’ given her an’ when another wealthy wench did show that she be sportin’ one e’en bigger, the Lady Stavos flew into a rage an’ bade all guests leave at once.
The very next morn Lord Stavos were found dead in his bed from nay cause tha’ could be seen. As nay proof o’ foul magics ‘r poisons could be found his great fleet o’ trading vessels were left in care o’ the wench Stavos, an’ anon the morrow she sent fer me cap’n Red, who were the most rough ‘n’ randy captain o’ the fleet.

“I be ‘avin’ a special task fer ye”, said ‘erself. “I be wishin’ ye to perpare yer ship as quick as ye may. Set sail an’ bring me back, ‘The most precious thing ‘n the world!’ tha’ none may best me e’er again.”

“As yer wish madam”, replied me cap’n, “an’ what’d that be, if yer please?”

“If I were knowin’ that”, spake she wif venom, “I would be havin’ it a’ready! Ye be my most randy cap’n, ‘n a stalwart adept of Umberlee, ye be having many contacts throughou’ these seas. I dinna be caring what be the price, yer just be finding it an’ bringing it back to me. Ye an’ yer crew will be well rewarded fer yer success in this ‘ere endeavour” The cap’n were left a bit befuddled wif this but this wench were as ruthless as any she-devil an’ our ship were ‘ers t’ command so fer t’ sea we made ready.

The next day we commenced our make readies fer the long voyage ahead. News o’ our quest did spread like spray afore the winds an’ by the time our ship were trimmed fer sailin’, a large crowd had gathered at quayside to watch us set out. Great were the imaginin’s as to what we might bring back. “A religious icon!” spake one. “A pearl as big as an egg!” spake another. “Mayhaps a golden treasure chest from the b*tch Queen’s hordes!” spake someone else. None o’ ‘em course ‘ad any idea….an’ nor ‘ad we.

The rich widow were right pleased with all interest being displayed. She were certain that when we did return with ‘the most precious thing in the world’, that it would firmly ensconce her as the supreme wench of the burg.

The moon turned more than dozen times as we plied the Sea o’ Fallen Stars from port to port. And ever as we went the tale o’ our searching’s did sail afore us until as we did fight the’ currents o’ the river Lis a great horned serpent rose from the swells afore us with a trident in it’s scaly claws , “Ye have been a staunch and randy jack and always gave me Queen her due Cap’n Red. For yer faithful service the b*tch Queen does offer ye this boon”, the wyrm did hiss, “When ye reach the mouth of the river Lis, wey anchor and look ye to the eastern shore. Ye will see a great gnarled oak atop a fingered crag pointing due west toward the burg o’ Elmwood. This be a shrine o’ Jannath. Take this offering and place it at the foot o’ the tree and yer quest will at last be o’er” The beast then did draw from the water sack rove fast wif a golden rope. “Dinna ye open this sack afore ye make yer offering and spake nay of whence it came to ye”. Wif that the beast did drop the sack upon the poop deck at me cap’n’s feet and fell back to the depths.

As we all be knowing Umberlee be nay friend o’ the Earthmother we did suspect there were mischief afoot, and we all knew well the b*tch Queen be fond of vengefulness.

Many a jack did urge Cap’n Red t' open the sack an' see what were in it, but the cap'n stood fast, "It be nay wise t' trifle wif gods, lads, we be havin' nay choice but do as we be bid do".

So we did tack on upriver and rove fast as we were told. Cap’n Red, meself and the boson climbed that crag and laid the sack to rest afore the oak. In a swirling mist a nymph did appear, “Whae boon ask ye of the Earthmother?” spake the nymph.

“Me mistress wishes me to bring her the most precious thing in the world”, spake Cap’n Jack as bold as ye please, “Will ye tell me where to find it?”

The nymph did survey our randy crew fer sometime afore she spake, “Return to yer ship as it does now lie within her hold, take this gift to yer mistress for there is nothing more precious in the world”. With that she did vanish even as she dad come.

As we rowed to our ship we did see that she sat heavy in the water. When we looked in the hold we saw it was full, so we weighed anchor and came about for home.

It had been fifteen months since we’d set out, but as we entered the harbour we could as a crowd gathering as if none had forgot our quest.

The rich wench swept down to the quayside to meet cap’n Red as we rove fast to dockside. “Madam, I have done as ye asked. I visited many lands, met ‘n’ spoke with kings and high counselors. Many were the suggestions ‘n’ much advice did I receive. But none o’ it convincing’ so on we did sail. Then I met with the Earthmother’s chosen and she did truly give me the most precious thing in the world to bring to ye!’

“Well, and where be it then?” her eyes were fierce with greed.

“It be in me good ships hold, madam” spake me cap’n, “a gift from the Earthmother herself”

“Bring it forth at once”, spake wench Stavoren, “I wish to see it”

“I will be needing a great many sacks and some time, madam”, said the captain. “It be a cargo of wheat.”

“Wheat? Ye have brought me a cargo of wheat? Do ye dare to mock me, Cap’n?” She nearly choked with rage.

“Nay madam, what could be more precious than wheat? Without bread, half the world would starve!”

The wench heard one or two sniggers of laughter from the people in the crowd. “And this wheat be mine, a gift from the Earthmother, to do with as I will?” she said quietly.

“Of course madam, even as I said”, spake cap’n Red.

“Then pour it into the sea!” she said.

“Pour it into the sea?” The captain couldn’t believe his ears. “This be a gift from a god and there be enough grain here to feed all the poor in the province. Why nay give it them, if ye dinna want it – after all, we may all be poor one day!”

“I poor? How dare ye!” She pulled the diamond ring from her finger. “This ring will return to me hand afore I am ever poor!” She turned ‘n’ threw the ring far out into the harbour. “Now do as I say” she continued, “Pour me wheat into the sea or I’ll be taking me ship from ye and giving it to a cap’n of worth!”

The captain himself was now angry, “Cast off!” he shouted, ‘n’ the crowd watched as we slipped dock ‘n’ sailed to the mouth of the harbour. We all did know we were trapped between two gods as we dropped anchor ‘n’ set about shoveling the grain overboard, but such be the fates of seafarers since time began. Even as we finished tossing the last grain overboard, the great wyrm rose to starb’rd and spake, “Ye have fouled me mistress’s waters wif Jannath’s filth, by Umberlee’s word never again will this ship rove to dockside nor any who stand upon her decks ever disembark. Ye will ply the seas without respite until the day ye kneel before my queen in her depths and beg forgiveness”. Cursed as this we set out to sea never to return. That were our penance fer trifling with the gods. But the spiteful wench had been cursed as well we learned from one of her ships sent to pursue us. Her boson told us the tale that nay two days after we set to sea, keen to show that she was still the richest wench in Stavos, sent out invitations to all her wealthy rivals to attend a feast at her palace. The day of the banquet arrived ‘n’ all were seated. A silver salver were placed afore the rich wench ‘n’ the cover removed to reveal a roasted sea bass. She picked up a knife to cut into the fish ‘n’ as she sliced through the meat, the knife struck something solid. She cut the fish open, gasped ‘n’ turned white as death, for there, laid in the flesh o’ the fish was her diamond ring. The one that she had hurled into the sea four days earlier!

Worse were to follow. After a few weeks, the wheat we had tossed into the harbour took root and began to grow on the sea-bed where it had fallen. Umberlee strove to cover it with sand, but it just grew taller. Within tenday a sandbank, held fast by the wheat stock, had sealed off the harbour. But the Earthmother were displeased as well, for the wheat bore nay grain.
Stavos’ fleets were now landlocked, and without trade the port city of Stavos died in poverty and despair.

Me Cap'n and me mates were forced to ply the seas without repite for two score years, doing good for any we did meet, until our once stout ship did come apart from wind, wave, and worm. I dinna be knowing why Umberlee allowed me to float from her bossom to shore, or if I ever will be having her leave to return to the sea. As best I know all me mates be in her cold embrace."

*nearly all of Rugo's tales and songs are adapted versions of traditional folk tales and songs*
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Re: Rugo's Tales and Songs (may contain mature)

Rugo sings at Rivermoot gates
by johnlewismcleod on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:45 am

Rugo sang this song twice at Rivermoot gates for too many to list (log rotator still on blink ). The first rendering was a bit off, perhaps because it was the first performance (Perform roll of 10), but the second try was quite entertaining (perform roll of 23).

The call went out, “the Marsherl wants action”
“The Bugger be back an’ ‘e wants satirsfaction!”
We fell out o’ the pub where Myrtirl doth rule,
And sallied we forth, six jacks an’ a fool

We mounted the sciff, all six o’ able jacks,
Then the call went ou’, “where be Roderlac?”
We looked ‘bouts fer our fool, bu’ e could nay be found,
until we smelled turnips, an’ knew ‘e be yet ‘round

We crossed the river, and made haste fer the cave,
From whence issued forth a stench like a grave,
“Pay nay heed”, said Hashan, “we’ve duty to fulfill”
“Tarry nay”, spake Corio, “I needs get back t’ me swill!”

We burst into the depth’s, and there waited the bugger,
“Dinna harm ‘im”, spake Marcus, “’e looks like me mother!”
‘e towered o’er our host, like the mast amidships,
wif tusks like long swords, wif serrated tips!”

The beast snarled an’ fangs like daggers ‘e gnashed,
‘e stamped ‘is clawed feet, an’ from ‘is arse burst a blast
‘is foul stench wafted o’er us, we retched an’ moaned.
When Garreth declared, “’e smells like our gnome!”

We let fly a volley o’ arrows an’ bullets.
The beast roared wif rage an’ foul epithets.
‘e charged us ‘opin’ t’ scatter our ranks,
bu’ our crew stood firm, swords flashed, shields clanked

We cut ‘im asunder, his guts covered the floor,
Then Penlorin called ou’, “’ere comes a host more!”
Foul undead were upon us, an’ dire seemed our plight,
When Finden stepped forth, like a beacon o’ light!

We rallied an’ repulsed tha’ unnatural horde,
Then we charged into ‘em wif mace, axe, an’ sword!
Dry bones we shattered in a deafenin’ din
Rotten flesh we spattered from floor t’ ceilin’

Victroy were ours, an’ ne’er a randier crew,
‘as served our hin marsherl, an’ imposed ‘is curfew.
A toast t’ Hashan, Corio, Pen, an’ Kane,
To Marcus, Rodlac, an’ Finden Esclain!

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Re: Rugo's Tales and Songs (may contain mature)

Rugo sings in the Silverymoon theatre
by johnlewismcleod on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Rugo performed this song for Ashton Lanneseph, Finellen Bucklebar, and Tesselle Amplecrown and the various assembled NPC's in the Silverymoon theatre (perform roll of 21). Throughout the performance Rugo acted out many of the parts as he sung with great animation:

Birds flitted an’ chirped glad tidin’s in the boughs o’er archin’,
Then fell hush as b’low drawn blades began glintin’
Click, clack, shraaack…spake the blades as steel flashed an’ struck
Wif raucous squawkin’ birds leapt wif panicked beatin’

Stripped bare to loin cloth Finden pressed the attack,
In chain Janus turned foil an’ dirk, then struck quickly back
In martial dance the two stepped lively about,
‘till fierce blows struck home, an’ Janus collapsed

“Hold!” spake Hashan, “let felled stand and draw breath!”
Now ye migh’ be wonderin’ why in armour ‘e were dressed,
but as it were, when bout began both were so disrobed
But Faust’s wee soldier 'd nay stay hid when battle pressed

Bein’ a genterlmern proper, Esclain o’ Faust did insist
“Pray don yer armours lest wee jack come t’ mischief.
I would nay deprive a tart ‘er frolick, ‘r yer folk an heir
by mischance o’ errant blow, ‘r near parry missed”

By an’ anon, wif pained gasp Finden buckled
From ‘pon his back, ‘e looked up and did chuckle,
Janus’ blade ‘ad found a gap an’ struck home
“One apiece!” boomed Hashan, “an’ one more to settle!”

Once more they closed wif flashin’ an’ ringin’ steel,
awash in sweat, they gripped hilts slipp’ry as eels.
Wif labored breath, they sought to test each’s mettle,
Until at last, the victor’s blow Finden did deal

“Though heroic the fight, the set be Esclain’s,
now which o’ ye will stand 'gainst the Watch Blade?”
“I’ll call it”, spake Janus as ‘e nursed ‘is wounds.
Steppin' for'ard spake Finden, “may me strength nay forsake”

Hashan shed ‘eavy armours, an’ drew ‘is curved sword
Finden drew breath an’ made ready fer Faust t’ give word.
“’ave at!”, spake Janus, an’ the sergernt charged ‘is foe
Finden grudgin’ gave way t’ Hashan’s fierce press for’ard

Afore a gale o’ blows, Finden stepped e’er ligh’ly,
An’ each crushin’ thrust met wif able parry
But against such a storm, nay one migh’ stand long,
An’ by an’ anon Hashan nobbed ‘im most ‘eavy

Janus rushed for’ard t’ see if Finden were dead,
‘e lay sprawled on the ground wif a dent in ‘is head
“I dinna mean t’ kill ‘im”, gasped Hashan short o' breath,
“me blade could nay touch ‘im, so I used hilt instead!”

It did seem Finden were done as ‘e lay prone,
Smellin’ salts did nay muster bu’ a wee feeble moan,
Bu’ jus’ then did approach a sight o’ womanly grace,
An’ ‘e leapt t’ ‘is feet like a dog after a bone!

It were the Amplecrown , drawn by clatter of arms
As she looked ‘pon them, methinks her loins warmed,
“If ye lot wish to test mettle, ye’ve nay done it yet,
joust wif me an’ ye’ll find yer manhood short shorn

Hashan an’ Janus quick did cover an’ step back a pace,
Bu’ uncowed Finden stepped up wif genterlmernly grace
“I’ll pick up yer gauntlet, m’lady o’ Torm, wif due respect,
I’ll show ye ‘ow rapier an’ dirk o’rcome shield an’ mace”

Fer all ‘er comely radiance, m’lady were nay wastrel,
Wif shield an’ mace she were elegarnt an’ graceferl ,
Bu’ ‘though ‘er golden hair did shine brigh’ly as ‘er armours,
In time blades o’ercame ‘er , an’ t' ground she were felled

Now all three did crowd ‘round the prim fallen lass,
Each vied the others protestaterns t’ surpass,
“Arise, m’lady!” each insisted in turn,
“ Foul be it fer dirt t’ besmirch such an arse!”

After finishing his verse Rugo was pleased by the general reception of it, until Tess said something about his song being good, but his choice of words being poor. Rugo seemed a bit crestfallen until she departed the theatre, but soon recovered and seemed quite pleased with himself.

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Re: Rugo's Tales and Songs (TSM server - mature)

Rugo sang this in Quervaar in an attempt to quell a vengeful crowd with the support of Dimetree and Dawn Shiningeye (perform roll of 15):

When the dark squalls come in on swift seas.....
an' the beacon’s ligh' be dimmed.....
rally yer 'opes an' gather yer kin.....
fer the dawn will come yet again.......
Heave ho! me hearties, rove tigh' the sails!
our ship canna be turned by gale!
Stand firm, me hearties.....rove tigh' the sail!
ne'er be hope extinguished if strength prevails!

Though pitch doth pop an’ masts groan wif strain…..
An’ Moonmaiden’s ligh’ hidden…
Ne’er despair, lads, t’ hope hold fast….
The Mornin’laird will come again....
Heave ho! Me hearties, rove tigh’ the sails!
Our ship will ne’er be turned by gale!
Stand fast, me hearties….against travail!
We’ll ride ou’ this storm an’ then drown in ale!

Although his voice was only a bit above average (probably due to the long run immediately preceding) it seemed to help.

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Rugo, unkempt and reeking of rum, sang this song for Dawn Shiningeye, Sioril Davis, and Rion. As he neared completion he was briefly interrupted by something Rion evidently said, at which point all could see him brandishing a belaying and threatening Rion over something few could hear, but that sent the drunken hin into a brief rage. Dispite the interuption and his obvious drunken state his voice rang out well (perform roll 21).

Hashan's dead, the rum young jack,
Sergernt be a’ the gates!
The sergernt's gone, ne’er t’ come back;
Aye, aye, aye, Sergernt’s a’ the gates.

They dug ‘is grave wif a silver spade,
The shroud of finest silk were made;

They lowered ‘im wif a golden chain,
All eyes besot wif more than rain;

‘e were a ‘elmite bold and true,
A rum young watch blade fer ‘is crew;

O’ able mate, ‘e were the best,
But now he's gone an’ be at rest;

Ne’er mutirnous part did ‘e partake
Nor duty shirk nor mate forsake

‘e now lies low in earthen bed,
Our hearts be sore, our eyes be red;

‘e's rove t’ dock an’ furled his sail,
Nay danger now from rock or gale;

‘arken’s ‘e the Doomguide’s call,
So sing ‘is dirge, now one an’ all;

After he finished he was seem to take a long pull at his bottle, then tossed the empty aside carelessly and staggered off for the Angler's Inn.

* adapted from a traditional shanty *

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Rugo sang this song in a quiet, hushed voice to Dimetree, Vonlyr, and Dar’il around a guttering campfire in the mountains above Rivermoot. He seemed shaken during and after the song, which didn’t seem so much a performance as a recitation. As he finished he reflexively fished a bottle of rum from his pack, but after a word from Dar’il put the bottle back away without drinking.

Ages past .... streams fast....
flowed ‘neath the earth.....
Nether realms gave them birth......
Cold clear waters....cisterns daughters.....
Dance we merrily, dance.
Dance we merrily, splash.
Dance we merrily pour out your power ...
‘neath the earth......
Came the dark, doused the spark....
fled from the home, seas to roam ….
like the foam ne'er to rest.....
Dance we merrily, dance.
Dance we merrily, splash.
Dance we merrily, pour out your power....
gone from earth.....
Still these days, come what may….
calls the pool …
Splashing down, underground….
again to rule….
Some day, soon day, so say we.....
Dance we merrily, dance…
Dance we merrily, splash…
Dance we merrily, pour out your power…
Once again rebirth....
in our home.....

*this beautiful verse is the handiwork of Wynna, our illustrious goddess of creation and destruction*

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Splendid verse. Compliments to the author and the teller. :D
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Rugo sang this song under this disapproving eye of Hrafen Jye at Forth Peak as the party of Rathalan Whitsword, Lemuel Ogdenstorm, Corio D’Sarte, and Annia Marshald set out toward Settlestone:

Our gear be iced, our fingers numb....
Go down ye blood red roses, go down....
And it's blood underfoot round Setterlstone....
Heave and down red roses, slip down....

It be deep wifin we've got to go.....
Go down ye blood red roses, go down.....
Against headwinds, mire, and snow.....

Sir Whitesword leads and sets our task....
In Helms glory he'll nay doubt bask....

The Vigilernt Master bade us forward....
Cap'n Lemuerl wields his flaming sword....

Marcurs Wands be young but he be brave....
His magics nay doubt, our lives will save.....

And Corio of the long lost ear....
Has rove in too and shows nay fear....

And comely Annia did try her best….
To outrun the gobbers who ripped her dress….

Dawn Shiningeye gave strength to me….
I pray Lathander turn nay from thee….
Heave and down red roses, slip down.....

Oh it's one more turn and that will do....
Fer we're the bullies what must get through....
Heave and down red roses, slip down.....
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Deep within the Star Tower ruins Rugo sang this song as he writhed in the grasp of Lemuel Ogdenstorm and Corio D'Sarte. Rugo eyes were rolled back as he cried out the verse in a fit of madness, as Rathalan Whitsword and Marcus Wands laboured before a huge rune encrusted statue:

O bury me nay in the deep dark sea,
The words came low and mournfully,
From the pallid lips of a youth who lay,
On his fo’c’sle berth at the wan of day,
He had fevered and bled till Doomguide’s call,
The aid o’ a priest could nay more forestall
Now in his dreams his loved home seemed nigh
As we gathered ‘round to watch him die.

O bury me nay in the deep dark sea,
Where the billowing shroud will swell o'er me,
Where nay light will pierce the dark cold wave,
Ne’er Dawnlaird’s beam t’ touch me grave,
It matters nay, so I were oftern told
Where the body lay once the heart be cold,
Yet grant, O grant this boon to me,
O bury me nay in the deep dark sea.

Aye in fancy I've attended the well known words,
The free wild winds and the songs of the birds,
I have thought of home, of cot, and of bower,
Of lassies I caressed in youthful hour,
I ‘ad e’en hoped to be laid when I died,
In the graveyard there on the green hill side,
By the home of me father me grave should be,

Let me death slumbers be where me mother's prayer,
An’ me sister's tear may be mingled there,
It will be sweet ere me heart's throb be o'er
T’ know when its fountain shall gush no more,
That those so fiercely yearned fer will come,
An’ ‘pon me tomb will set flowers an’ rum,
Let me lie where me loved ones be near me,

And there be another 'oo's tears will be shed
Fer him 'oo lay deep in an ocean bed,
In hours it doth pain me to think o’ now,
She hath twined me locks an’ caressed this brow.
In the hair she hath wreathed shall sea serpent hiss
An’ the brow she hath pressed shall the cold wave kiss!
For the sake o’ that fair lass ‘oo waiteth for me,

She hath dwelt in me dreams… ‘is voice failed there,
Bu’ they gave nay heed to ‘is dying prayer,
They ‘ave lowered him low o'er schooner’s side,
Above him hath closed the dark cold tide,
Where to dip the light wings the sea bird rests,
And the Bitch Queen dance o'er the ocean crest,
Where the billows bound and the winds sport free,
They have buried him there in the deep dark sea.

* adapted from traditional verse *
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

A much better adaptation than mine! Lovely work, sir. (In my defense, it's much harder to compose extemporaneously when DMing four than when DMing one. Google was my friend last night. The dance we merrily song, though, was at least original.) Keep up the wonderful work. I feel that lyrics and poetry add a wonderful dimension to the game.
Enjoy the game
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

I vote that much bonus XP's are in order for JLM. Give him my due if need be. I find myself looking forward more and more to Rugo's next song. You improve the game for all of us. Please continue. =)
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

The orb of the sun rippled above the surface of the swells as it carried him down. He tried to struggle in its grasp as the piercing pain of trying to hold his breath became too much, but his limbs seemed paralyzed. His mind spun in a vortex as he gave in and sucked the brine deep into his lungs. It burned going in, it burned going out as he retched helplessly for air that was not there….would never be there again.

The irresistible grasp of terror and despair grip his very soul he the orb continued to grow ever dimmer, and the salt water continued to burn unabated as his gasping lungs sucked it in, then out, then in again with instinctual persistence that can never reconcile itself with hopelessness.

It will burn and never be satisfied but by air forevermore, he knew. And forevermore there will be no air, he knew as well. Torture it is, and will remain, forevermore. His eyes pressed burning from their sockets in strain to keep sight of the fading orb of the sun as he was carried ever deeper. Paralysis and rigid, gripping terror unrelenting spiked in and though his soul, as they would forevermore.

He tried to turn his head that he might see his captor, but couldn’t do more than turn his eyes enough to see the small horns wreathed in sweeping mane of white hair with black stripe through the middle set loose unbounded by gravity beneath the sea. He could not see the face, but what did it matter? The destination was he same, whether it devil, daemon, nymph, or worm, his lot was to suffer and not deprive her of the pleasure his suffering gave her.

“Submit…..just submit and the suffering may lessen. It will nay, she will nay allow it. Even as Cap’n Red would nay….but now he be there, be he nay? With all the rest, he must be…at her feet, writhing and gasping in agony even as I be”, he thought.

The imagery of recollection slammed into his mind as if it must to compete with the terror and pain already gripping him….they had just thrown the male captives overboard as the weresharks had finished with the dead. They plunged screaming to their gods now, as they knew pleading for mercy from the crew of the Black Lass was useless. The water worm swept in close now, excited by the live sacrifice as it always was, snatching and snapping at them as they writhed in the red gore fouled water alongside. He was trying to sing inspiration as they had at the females held back for pleasure. His voice faltered with the effort of trying to avoid the plaintive gazes of the women as they were ravaged.

Borg snapped the neck of his female and tossed her overboard, then enraged looked up at Cap’n Red on the poop deck, “Why you keep that maggot, Cap’n? He no sing good!”

His voice froze in his lungs as the Captain turned and looked down at him, “Why indeed, Borg?...Ye may eat ‘im if ye can catch ‘im.”

He looked up at Borg, blood dripping from his tusks even as Borg turned to look down at him. He saw the gleeful malice creep into Borg’s eyes as his slow orc brain grasped what the Captain had said.

He lurched at young Rugo even as Rugo dove between and through his legs. As Rugo ran about the maindeck, dodging and scurrying up, over, down, and around in fleet and utter terror one after another of the crew left off their captives and joined the chase….

Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Awesome :)
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

He woke with a shattering start, shards of black memories scattering away from his mind like crystalline waves of a stone bursting through water. He lay prone in a darkened room as the dim lit but lovely face of the human female leaned close over him. He felt her warm breath on his face as she spoke something to him; with a desperate heave he drew a deep breath. It was air, warm sweet air, rich with the scent of the woman above him.

“Be this trickery, “ he croaked, “ ‘OO be ye?”

“I am Shannon, Rugo….don’t you remember?” she asked. Her voice didn’t hiss, or reveal any sign of daemonkin, it sounded sincere, even…kind.

He blinked and felt about beneath him; woolen cloth and sticky shreds of cloth. He looked down at himself. He was clothed in shredded bloody rags, but otherwise uninjured. There was a mirror, a wash basin, it appeared very much like…..something…..but what?

“Where be they, wench? “, he asked, “Trouble yerself nay wif deception….travail and sufferin’ be too oftern visited ‘pon me fer trickery t’ bring ye any reward.”

She looked at him for a moment, then said, “They are undone. They were defective and I destroyed them. I brought you here to the Inn and healed you. Don’t you remember what happened in the crypt?”

That was it! This WAS the room in the Angler’s Inn he so often rested in….in….Rivermoot! Realization that he was alive and saved by this beautiful human female washed over him in a warm torrent. And she WAS beautiful. Dark-haired and smooth limbed, and….he lept to his feet and fell to his knees. He kissed her feet. “I know nay ‘ow ye saved me, lady, bu’ I be e’er in yer debt. I owe ye me life an’ soul and be yers t’ command.”

When he looked up her expression had changed. Gone was the look of kindness, replaced with a smug expression of conquest. “Yes….you are mine,” she said, “Now come, we must retrieve our gear.”

She turned for the door and opened it. Torchlight spilled into the room and he rose and followed reveling in knowledge that he was saved yet again. His limbs didn’t function well and he staggered down the stairs behind her, but he was alive. He could draw breath, and as the warm light of the Angler’s Inn great room, opened before he shuffled forward wide-eyed wonder.

“Rugo!”, came a voice from behind him. He turned and saw a noble looking elf and an exquisite looking human female in blue armour. He blinked as he struggled to attach names to the faces.

“Come here….now.”, said the elf with a voice of command. Not cruel, not malicious….but as if he expected to be obeyed. Rugo blinked up at him for a moment, and then it came back him. It was Vonlyr from Evermeet and Wavemistress Ingriss. Vonlyr was a rum mate, but his soaring hopes of redemption guttered out as recollection of Ingriss fell upon him like an icy cloak. He began to shake uncontrollably as he approached.

“Me laird, I were saved, “ he rambled on uncontrollably as he felt Ingris’s piercing gaze boring into the back of his head, “they came fer me again….and I were saved…she pulled me from their grasp….I were spared..”

Vonlyr pressed some coins into his hand, “Clean yourself up, Rugo, you are a discredit in such condition”. The kindness of the gesture hardly scittered across Rugo’s iced skin like a rock tossed onto frozen water.
“Who has done this?”, Ingriss demanded Ingriss. Her voice fractured his frozen soul like a hammer. He could only look toward Shannon and stammer as the realization was driven home that there was no succor for him, only the trickery of of glimmering hope dashed. He was unworthy of succor. He deserved his fate, and his fate was to pay endlessly for his misdeeds, punctuated periodically with rekindled spirit, just enough to make the torture more painful.

He tried to protest as the wavemistress chastised Shannon for her interference, but his voice was frozen in his throat. Only when Ingriss pulled her halberd from her back and was about to chop Shannon’s lovely body into pieces did Rugo manage to move.

He staggered forward and fell between them at Ingriss’ feet, “Spare her, Wavemistress, I beg ye”.

Tears of despair streamed down his face, “I beg ye…spare ‘er. I submit. I will take the lash in ‘er stead. I submit….I submit.”
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

He followed her up the stairs, his legs straining sullenly with the effort. She gave the human some coin and he opened the gate for them. He followed into the room.

As she closed the door behind, the warmth of the torchlight was cut off, leaving the room dim lit by candles. “Wash yourself”, she said, and pointed at the washbasin.

With trembling fingers he pulled the shredded, bloody remains of his undergarments off and dropped them, then stepped up to the basin and began to wipe away the caked and drying blood. He could see her in the mirror behind him, her piercing eyes flashing malice. He finished and waited for the lash. Will she allow me restraint, or will I have to muster the strength to stand and receive?

He knew better than to run, or too beg for mercy. He stood with both hands on the basin and waited.
“What happened?” she asked, “And who was that wretched creature you were so willing to sacrifice yourself for?” He looked up into the mirror at her image standing behind him. He couldn’t tell if she was toying with him, or really didn’t know. Why was it so difficult to discern reality from vision? Had the daemons taken part of his mind with them?

He stared at her image and tried to collect his wits, he knew she was after something, but what? Her face began to ripple from the effort of his attempt to muster his wits. What was it she said? His arms gripping the basin progressed from a tremble to a violent shaking as the mirror turned liquid and enveloped him…
He clung to her soft, warm thigh in the dim light beneath her skirts. His quaking fear began to subside as he breathed in the fecund scent of safety and comfort. Then his heart lept again into his throat as the overloud sound of a crashing fist struck the door. He knew who it was, and what he had come for.

“You hide maggot in there?” boomed Borg’s voice through light plank door. “You open and give!”

He felt Flora shift as she turned toward the door, and her hand pressed through the rolling silk of her skirts to bend back one of his fingers. He loosened his grip as he realized he was gripping her thigh too tightly. “ Why bosun, is that you?” Her voice was languid and the question unhurried and relaxed. “Open the door, dear man, that I may better hear you”. Rugo strained to resist digging his fingers once again into Flora’s thigh, as the door opened.
He heard the heavy boots of the half-orc cause the cabin deck to groan with each step as he entered. “Where be maggot? Cap’n Red give him to me. Where be?” Borg’s guttural voice, unturned to close spaces, assaulted Rugo’s ears like a blow.

“Good bosun, do you see him about?” Flora’s voice was sweet and soothing, “I’ve nay seen him this eve, perhaps he’s in the galley?”

“Borg nay be stupid”. The air fluttering wetly into Borg’s nostrils as his sniffed about for his scent. “You nay trick Borg. Me look”. Rugo nearly jumped as he heard Borg stomp up to a chest and fling the lip open with a bang.

“Why, Borg”, Flora cooed as he saw her dagger slip from it’s sheath within her skirts, “How could you think such a thing of me?”. He silently pulled his dagger as well with his heart sinking from his throat to his belly. What chance have we against him with knives, he wondered. Just then he felt Flora stiffen slightly.

“Oh, my”, she said softly, “Just look what I’ve done…I’ve injured myself.”

Rugo heard the chest slam shut and Borg shift in place. “Wha’?”, he said in gruff surprise.

“Just look at my arm, it’s bleeding”, her voice honey sweet. “Tell me, good bosun, doesn’t that wound look as if it was caused by an orc’s tusks?”

Rugo held his breath in the sudden silence that followed. After what seemed an age he heard Borg snarl, “A rahh ohan ‘u, gha!”. His steps pounded to the door and Rugo exhaled as it slammed shut behind him. As Borg’s steps retreated down the hall toward the main deck his fingers fell to his lap beneath Flora’s skirts.

She stepped back, the silk cloth a soft caress as it pulled away across his face, releasing into the room. He turned and looked up at the beautiful auburn haired woman, “Thank ye, mum. I thought ‘e…”, and his words were stopped by the crack of her dagger haft across his head.

“I’m not your mum. No son of mine would be outwitted by a beast like Borg”, she hissed, her eyes glittering with rage.

“Bu’ mum, ‘e…”and the haft swiped at him again, but this time he ducked.

She calmly returned the dagger to her corset, “Listen, my pet, we can no longer pretend, you and I”. Her voice again was calm, but firm and matronly. “I have protected you as best I could, for as long as it served me, but it is time you stand on your own”.

His throat tightened as this pretense between them was finally burst. Tears welled up, but he said nothing.

“You must kill Borg and find your place, or die” Her expression was impassive now, her voice devoid of comfort or support.

“Bu’ ye ‘ave ‘im”, Rugo choked out, “All ye need do is word the cap’n tha’ he burst in an’ bit ye. Show ‘im the marks….”

“No, my pet”, she said, “This is your fight, your time has come. Stand or fall, the choice is yours”.

“But I canna stand against Borg”, he pleaded, “He has felled ogres wif a single stroke, me wee knife canna e’en reach ‘is vitals. Ye ‘ave ‘im, all ye need do…”

“That’s enough!”, He knew this deadly tone, fell silent and stepped back a pace. “I have taught you the ways of he who be not known. Offer alms to our master and prove you are worthy of him. Your time has come. It is wit that must be your knife now.” She settled back onto her couch with feline grace and poise. “Now clean the floor where that beast fouled it and see to my undergarments in the bin.”

He blinked as she turned her attention to a parchment on her pillow.

He was alone now.