Campaign: Ascension

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

DarkHin
Dungeon Master

Campaign: Ascension

Post by DarkHin »

Let's use this thread for discussing matters relating to the campaign. The scheduling thread can then be used solely for coordinating game sessions. For starters, here is a list of players and the characters they will be playing:

-Mikalya, Aasimar, Barbarian
-Castano, Duergar, Wizard
-Ithildur, Drow, Rogue(/Wizard)
-Peter_Abelard, Svirfneblin, Rogue
-thinkpig, Ranger

Campaign night is Wed starting at 8pm PST.
If you want to join the campaign, PM DarkHin or HEEGZ
Playing extraordinary PCs is strongly encouraged.

Please submit your bios ASAP!
DM on WHL
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: Campaign: Ascension

Post by HEEGZ »

Some new information about the campaign for you guys. As a plot device for why all of you are together at the start, please collaborate on an adventuring company or group that you are all a member of for the first campaign session. We will have an initial session, and after that you may do as you please as you respond to the plot that unfolds. You may need to slightly alter your PC concept to fit into this paradigm. You are not bound to it necessarily, but it will be our initial plot hook to kick things off.

If you all don't feel like creating and naming an adventuring company DarkHin and I will do so for you, and have a rough idea already. We will kick things off in Soubar, which is our campaign hub for starters, and then things can adapt as the campaign progresses. Also, we were thinking of a NPC for the adventuring company leader, unless one of you wants to step in as a leader. It is hard for us to predict what this might look like since we only know specifics about the two Aasimar PCs so far.
DarkHin
Dungeon Master

Post by DarkHin »

In order to be successful and enjoy the campaign to its fullest you will need a party covering the classic D&D roles: fighter, cleric, arcanist, and rogue.

As far as I know there is no rogue, which is something I strongly encourage you to consider when crafting your PCs.

BTW, Vendrin's bard doesn't count as a rogue. He's one of those sexy lier types, not built for scouting, trap finding nor lock picking.
DM on WHL
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I consider a cleric to be pretty important as well...

Might get by without one though.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Pretty sure Peters pc is a Svirf rogue.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

"Halfling", "tracker" (please note earlier disclaimer about me seeing very little game time, at best only half the sessions)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Joos
Frost Giant

Post by Joos »

Greetings fellows, I understand this is where the cool kids hang out, so I reckoned I'd barge in and stink up the place.

Will be writing a bio this weekend and submit. Good times coming again!

Edit: Will probably just be rolling up a plain vanilla elven rogue, or a human Cleric, depending on the needs of the party. Prolly some prime element god, like Kossuth or Garyx (if the DM is ok with that).
Fire Genasi cleric of Kossuth sounds pretty cool. Or a genasi of one of the other three elemental deities.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Since we have to come together as an "Adventuring Company" I am fine with going with what HEEGZ and DarkHin have come up with. Though I am doubt Faith would actually believe we are an "Adventuring Company", but rather mercenaries/sell-swords/cut-throats, the name "Adventuring Company" has a nice ring to it that puts our marks at ease ... :twisted:
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
DarkHin
Dungeon Master

Post by DarkHin »

Joos wrote:Greetings fellows, I understand this is where the cool kids hang out, so I reckoned I'd barge in and stink up the place.

Will be writing a bio this weekend and submit. Good times coming again!

Edit: Will probably just be rolling up a plain vanilla elven rogue, or a human Cleric, depending on the needs of the party. Prolly some prime element god, like Kossuth or Garyx (if the DM is ok with that).
Hey Joos, glad to have your stink. Either character is fine, but I prostrate myself before you in supplication, humbly requesting that you play an ECL race. On my wish list is more Genasi (even if it means two fire Genasi). Tiefling would be bad ass as well.

I'm excited about the idea of having a follower of an Elemental God or a Garyxan.

If you are worried about the ECL hit, don't. HEEGZ and I wish to see the part advance together, at more or less the same rate.
DM on WHL
DarkHin
Dungeon Master

Post by DarkHin »

I haven't heard from Darkmystic at all so I'm moving him to uncertain.
DM on WHL
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Jealous.
So jealous.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
DarkHin
Dungeon Master

Post by DarkHin »

I just want to say that I'm very impressed with the creative bios submitted thus, as well as what I've heard about the impending bios. Your characters are all unique, and eschew fantasy clichés. I was initially disappointed that some players decided not to play non-standard races, but the characters they've contrived are certainly "exceptional," i.e. idiosyncratic, and have greatly contributed to my vision of a Campaign with a group of, well, weirdo PCs.

So, thank you everybody for your creative efforts.
DM on WHL
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

HEEGZ wrote:Some new information about the campaign for you guys. As a plot device for why all of you are together at the start, please collaborate on an adventuring company or group that you are all a member of for the first campaign session. We will have an initial session, and after that you may do as you please as you respond to the plot that unfolds. You may need to slightly alter your PC concept to fit into this paradigm. You are not bound to it necessarily, but it will be our initial plot hook to kick things off.

If you all don't feel like creating and naming an adventuring company DarkHin and I will do so for you, and have a rough idea already. We will kick things off in Soubar, which is our campaign hub for starters, and then things can adapt as the campaign progresses. Also, we were thinking of a NPC for the adventuring company leader, unless one of you wants to step in as a leader. It is hard for us to predict what this might look like since we only know specifics about the two Aasimar PCs so far.
I mean no disrespect or insult with what I'm about to say.

I'm... less than thrilled about us starting off as an adventuring/mercenary band before the campaign has even started. We have a rather disparate crew, with nothing to tie us together in common cause, so if we just start the game off with all the pcs already working together and signed up, that seems like cheating to me. It removes a lot of the tension of an evil game, and since the pcs would have already been working together they would all have a basic understanding of each other's capabilities and backstory, thus removing a need to rp the discovery of all that, something I think would greatly detract from the enjoyment of it all.

If I may make a suggestion, create a patron for us, and tie us all together with that Patron offering something as a payoff to each of the pcs that they truly desire, even if it was the vaguest hint or just the smallest step. (i.e. for my pc, knowledge/artifact that would let me strike a blow at Ilmater or his followers, and if other players don't know what their pcs might want besides power/gold/etc then shame, shame on you.) That will make us work together and then either grant that desire at the end of it all, or snatch it away after the group has built up some trust and camaraderie and we can be united in our hatred of the former patron who betrayed us/robbed us of our promised reward.

We may end up working as a mercenary band, but to just start off in one formed pre-game seems cliche.
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

I've submitted a rather quickly cobbled bio for a Drow Rogue (rogue/wizard, just found out 2 days ago I can play an ECL race), and left things with him being present in Soubar looking for some suitable others to work with in order to further his ends; so nothing's set in stone, but it's easy enough to make it work either way.

I do think Vendrin makes a good point that it may not be fun to have a completely preformed ready to go adventuring party before session 1/any RP ever happens; the ideal I guess would be a number of folks meet up and RP ingame before the first official session, so that the first session doesn't take 6 hours of posturing and circling one another sniffing butts before trying to decide 'ok, we can work together... I think...'. :) Because there's a good chance that's what will happen if 8-10 evil PCs who don't know each other meet for the first time.

Is there such a thing as speed dating for evil PCs in FR? 1-800-IAM-EVUL? An EVIL Personals website?

Also, did we settle on a day/timeslot?
Last edited by Ithildur on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Well the offer was made for you guys to form an IC reason to all be in Soubar and start the campaign together. We now have... four days until we start. I've not finished creating the grouping idea, and it's open still. I agree with the patron idea, and that was the point of the adventuring company idea. Some call to arms, hiring, or whatever that has brought you all together. Open to suggestions and the clock is ticking.
Ithildur wrote:Also, did we settle on a day/timeslot?
Yes. It's in the scheduling thread. Basically, starting around 8pm PST on Wednesday nights.