Teric's Tuesday Session

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Teric's Tuesday Session

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Please sign in here if you're planning to come along next Tuesday 2000GMT/2100 UK/2200 Western Europe/1600 Eastern US.

If you've not playing a character that has been to WHL yet please let me know total levels.
causk
Brown Bear

Re: Teric's Tuesday Session

Post by causk »

im game.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

In. Lv1.
(might try to get to 2ed before to complete the concept.)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Iarwain
Brown Bear

Post by Iarwain »

@Dragonspear
Level 4
Forum: Iarwain
GSID: iarwain_benadar
GMT+1
Playing: Mondays and Tuesdays 8pm on MS
Current character: William "Will" Goodbarrel
NWN1 character: Moonshade
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

I'll be there with a level 1 njublet (assuming I get it approved first) :)
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Copper
Kobold Footpad

Post by Copper »

Doing my best to be there too. Taking a lvl 1 completely fresh PC. I hope to bump into some of you before the starting night already!

~ Copper
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Copper wrote:I hope to bump into some of you before the starting night already!
Nice. I might be around sunday/monday.
Iarwain
Brown Bear

Post by Iarwain »

I'll be around today (Monday).
GMT+1
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

Iarwain wrote:I'll be around today (Monday).
Then I will as well, assuming a DM can give me the thumbs up on my über-awesome-ninja-character from baator
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Time clarification for tonight's session.

I will be looking to start at 2100 my time. The UK is currently on Summer Time so that is 2000 GMT. Apologies if that makes it later than you thought, but I'm not planning for more than about 2 hours playing.
TnD

Edit: If you want to know what GMT is click me.

Further Edit: I've amended my sig with a link to GMT time for future scheduling.
Iarwain
Brown Bear

Post by Iarwain »

Interesting start.

Will be fun to see how this rag-tag band of miss-fits will come together and become a cohesive unit :o
GMT+1
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

I've had a request via PM that I try and explain how I see things working and my "style". Rather than blather on forever here are some bullet points.

- Medium to Long term I have a story and situations planned out that I hope will be interesting for everyone. Shorter term I have to work out how to get you involved in that plot without too much of a clumsy hook. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in you taking things off at a tangent if the need arises or for your personal character development.

- Style-wise I'm trying to plan things to include a bit of everything to keep things interesting. My natural inclination is towards the toolset so expect more in the way of custom-made areas than off-the-cuff improv.

- I learnt a lot of simple skills on Tuesday that hopefully means things may be more fluid. Most of the pregnant pauses were due to my shouting "Stop! Stop!" on the wrong chat channel.

- Making custom areas for you means that I have a lot more scope for using the toolset to make things easier. Searches can be handled by the game engine without me prompting you, I can put in skill check triggers to give you useful info, I have a set of blueprints for handling movement skills like climbing and so on.

- I give average xp for the role-play component at the end of a session. End of story. I have the ability to give bonuses as we go along but I propose that you tell me if you think someone in the party has played a scene well and deserves a tap of the wand.

- A question about monetary reward. Would you prefer to have the full money value of your xp at the end of a session? Choice is between having your money and spending it how you want or me banking the unpaid amount and putting more interesting items in chests and the like. If you prefer to spend your own cash then there will be no more haggling over payment, and the reward for an in-game job will be proportional to the session xp.

- I'm open to suggestions and need telling if I'm doing anything that's glaringly n00bish.

- I will look into getting a private forum thread for this group.

So. On to next week. As mentioned above I'm still hatching my dastardly plans so I propose that you continue seeking work as budding adventurers and build your reputation in the area. To that end I'll ask you a question; "Heard any good rumours recently?"

Teric
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I have to say that I've never seen a DM stick to the xp/gp guidelines to the letter.
I'm also not sure that abiding that xp/gp ratio per DM session would put the toons where they need to be by the wealth table.
So you either break one guideline or you break the other.
I think the wealth per level is slightly more important, so sometimes you give large reward in a single adventure (if it makes sense in that case) to get a poor toon up to par with his level.

As far as i'm concerned do as you like. Keep us as poor or as rich as you like.
If you have a rich group, the challenges can be more difficult, if you have a poor one, the other way around.

Its much more important that things would make sense and have a nice touch to them.
In our last example, goblins probably have a few rusty weapons, a few coins, (which can amount to nearly nothing and be ignored lets say) but possibly if we're smart/lucky/get a good search roll can have a nice potion or scroll from a dead wizard, an old book, gems or whatever.

I don't think you should reward gold the same way you reward XP when it doesn't make sense RP wise.
Bottom line, as far as i'm concerned its totally story dependent and totally up to you.
Iarwain
Brown Bear

Post by Iarwain »

What kid said.
GMT+1
Copper
Kobold Footpad

Post by Copper »

Thanks for the info Teric. In regards to the gp/xp ratio, give what fits the situation and the setting. We can only get more immersed and excited for high risk/high reward scenarios!

~Copper