Got a Beef?

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 11 DM

Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Re: Got a Beef?

Post by Khazar Stoneblood »

Not a "moan", but a suggestion.

Do you think it would be beneficial in the "travel" maps to add the ability to increase the likelihood of encounter spawning? Perhaps tied to the "track" mode you can toggle on and off (or even skill checks in some way).

Here's the thought. My PC is moving through the wilderness with his bow ready, searching for signs of game to stalk. I think it would be cool if by doing that, I'd actually get more encounter spawns.

Now granted, I'm looking for a deer or other wildlife spawn, and perhaps survival or nature-lore checks would make that more likely, but the point is the character is SEARCHING for an encounter, not just travelling and possibly being blind sided by an encounter or trying to move without being detected to avoid an encounter.

A basic thought: Stealth = encounters less likely. Track = encounters more likely (this would override stealth). Not sure if that's reasonable or not. Seems like it might just be a slight mod to the existing encounter generation script (assuming the "mode" is a sort of boolean flag you can check).

Or, if something like this is already happening, let me know. Perhaps I shouldn't be stealthed while hunting?
Current PC: I'm not tellin'. They die when I put their names here.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Khazar,
There isn't anything fancier going on with the encounters other than a check being made on your position every XX seconds. I suppose it would be possible to increase the likelihood depending on your Mode but there are problems;
1) Bounty rewards are based on the average number of creatures of type X you can encounter in a given time (rather than CR) and increasing the encounter chance would throw that out.
2) I would be accused of encouraging spawn farming.
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Teric neDhalir wrote:Khazar,
There isn't anything fancier going on with the encounters other than a check being made on your position every XX seconds. I suppose it would be possible to increase the likelihood depending on your Mode but there are problems;
1) Bounty rewards are based on the average number of creatures of type X you can encounter in a given time (rather than CR) and increasing the encounter chance would throw that out.
2) I would be accused of encouraging spawn farming.
Okay, sensible enough.

Just sort of funny when you spend time trying to hunt and then after walking for what seems like a long period you get an encounter and it's... a rat (as Tralyn and Kip had a few days ago).
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

A question:

Does WHL have a clothing/shield/armor and weapon customization merchant similar to BG? If not can it be added?

Thanks.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I don't think there is one in.

In the past, I think it was possible to go to BG quarantine, DM spawn the customization merchant, modify your appearance, return to server. Not sure if this is kosher, or even possible still.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Since WHL and BG are contiguous, players can simply walk to BG and use the BG customizer. However, since my main PC is on BG I cannot do so and imagine others are in the same boat. If customizers are not slated to be added to WHL can players get a pass to travel to BG SOLELY for the use of the customizers there? In other words, no statics, no hunting, no RP, just an OOC journey to use what is essentially an OOC tool. Could even PM HDM of both servers to let them know when this will be done?

I am sure people will complain about permitting this but it seems fair especially if the customizers are not available on WHL because it is assumed players can easily travel to BG.

Admin?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

How popular is the customizer? I can ask Teric about adding it in. In fact, I think we may even have him in the DM creator menu already. Not sure about scripts involved, etc. There is a small chance we have everything in place but that he isn't spawning in anywhere. Will try to get some answers from Teric this week.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

HEEGZ wrote:How popular is the customizer? I can ask Teric about adding it in. In fact, I think we may even have him in the DM creator menu already. Not sure about scripts involved, etc. There is a small chance we have everything in place but that he isn't spawning in anywhere. Will try to get some answers from Teric this week.
In my experience, extremely popular. Think it is fairly easy to import into the mod.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

[edit]
It looks like it is already in WHL. If someone wants to try it out to see if it works catch me on IRC or in game.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Boersekyr Bridge could use a couple "interior" tents. It's mostly temporary structures, but the desire to move conversations "inside" seems pretty frequent and the Bridge seems to be the recent defaul PC hub.

Additionally, some KEMO benches, logs, and other "rustic" outdoor seating options fireside would be welcomed too.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

dergon darkhelm wrote:Boersekyr Bridge could use a couple "interior" tents. It's mostly temporary structures, but the desire to move conversations "inside" seems pretty frequent and the Bridge seems to be the recent defaul PC hub.

Additionally, some KEMO benches, logs, and other "rustic" outdoor seating options fireside would be welcomed too.
Noted.
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Not sure it's a WHL thing or if it's from the new ACR thing that got released... but VFX weapons don't seem to be getting linked to an actual weapon anymore. Before, when you drew your sword it would disappear from your back/waist. Doesn't seem to do that anymore. Not a big deal, just a FYI.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

"Wight" touch attack seems to have effect beyond physical damage.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

dergon darkhelm wrote:"Wight" touch attack seems to have effect beyond physical damage.
It is known! :twisted:

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

dergon darkhelm wrote:"Wight" touch attack seems to have effect beyond physical damage.

Ugh --- catastrophic typo. This should read:

"Wight" touch attack seems to have NO effect beyond physical damage.