The same thing we do every (ten)day... plot to SAVE THE ISLES (planning thread)

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: The same thing we do every (ten)day... plot to SAVE THE ISLES (planning thread)

Post by Ithildur »

Mick wrote:We did meet with Blackstaff briefly and he refused to take possession of the stones. He suggested that they needed to be unmade and so our goal was to learn how this might be accomplished, in addition to finding the stones
Not surprising... but he didn't have any info or advise about them at all? What a njub.

- a second hand account about the duel between Blackstaff and Myrkul on top of the tower . . . .

and the man had nothing to say/offer? Must've been a clone... :)

Code: Select all

One of 12 Stones of Discord , created in <date> for Crown Horns
What's supposed to be in the <date> field there? Or did the book not reveal that info?

Planningwise, it's looking like things are shaping up towards Crocs for this weekend as everyone seems to be on Alaron south of Callydiir? I need to have Aglaril visit the Lewyrr about the crocs so that can tie in nicely potentially. In light of all the recent info that's been brought back to light, we may soon need to revisit places like Macsheean (we only visited one spot there last week), possibly some of the cleared ruins/dungeons, as well as looking at newer spots like Oman or Moray.
Last edited by Ithildur on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Re: The same thing we do every (ten)day... plot to SAVE THE ISLES (planning thread)

Post by Mick »

I will have to rely on what has been previously posted from last year. My memory obviously lacks detail pertaining to those events.

I do remember Arizma being surprised at his indifference. I remember me being OOCly not surprised at the lack of help from him.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

I'm mostly kidding, totally not surprised, other than the purported battle between him and Myrkul - that should've triggered something if Myrkul was mentioned in the conversation I should think.

Doppleganger, obviously

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

Ithildur wrote:Planningwise, it's looking like things are shaping up towards Crocs for this weekend as everyone seems to be on Alaron south of Callydiir? I need to have Aglaril visit the Lewyrr about the crocs so that can tie in nicely potentially. In light of all the recent info that's been brought back to light, we may soon need to revisit places like Macsheean (we only visited one spot there last week), possibly some of the cleared ruins/dungeons, as well as looking at newer spots like Oman or Moray.
With new information coming to light, and old information jogging memories, the characters need to make sure that all of their allies are focused and ready for what's ahead.

In other words, if there is a quest or mission that has been subconsciously at the back of a character's mind, it puts everyone else at risk - who knows if they will pay attention at a critical moment, or if the thoughts blind their vision as they try to ignore it? Deal with the sub-plots that seemingly were never wrapped up for real-life issues, then move on with a refreshed vigor of no regrets. I would suggest...

1. MacSheean Ruins or Lewyrr Dire Crocodiles
2. Whichever from #1 is not chosen
3. Any other PC plots that folks may not believe are linked (chances are high that there's a link or information)
4. Oman Island or Moray Island (Oman has high tensions, showing signs of potential bad dreams. Moray had storms go dark out of nowhere)
5. Whichever from #4 that is not chosen
6. At this point, all the things we weren't fully aware of, or however time progressed in those five weeks, our characters should (hopefully) have a better understanding and possibly may be on the closer end of wrapping up a two year plot!

Then again, I said I'm not a leader and I said I wouldn't suggest things anymore, so :wall:
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Magile wrote:
With new information coming to light, and old information jogging memories, the characters need to make sure that all of their allies are focused and ready for what's ahead.

In other words, if there is a quest or mission that has been subconsciously at the back of a character's mind, it puts everyone else at risk - who knows if they will pay attention at a critical moment, or if the thoughts blind their vision as they try to ignore it? Deal with the sub-plots that seemingly were never wrapped up for real-life issues, then move on with a refreshed vigor of no regrets...
I am not completely sure what you are concerned about, but I should clarify something about many of those unfinished subquests. In most instances, it was not as simple as them not being wrapped up for RL issues. The confounding issue now, which newcomers may look on as simply sloppy questing or whatever, is that when the stones were recovered from areas where there were storms, the storms cleared and the fauna in the area more or less returned to their normal level of activity/threat. For example, the mutant crocs were attributed to a stone that we claimed and neutralized. Additionally, the headaches that universally have come with being in proximity to the stones resolved once we got them neutralized.

Arianna did leave the options to return to some of those ruins open, but, in almost every instance, we were provided some information that led to a more pressing next step that took priority over any desire to return to the last set of ruins to complete an exploration. The best example of this was when we found out that the stones may have negative effects on the developing young of pregnant individuals within their reach. This was particularly relevant because the Queen was pregnant at the time, which automatically focused our attention closer to Callidyrr and disaster with the twins was subsequently averted.

Now, the absence of some key PCs (my own included) did occur for a variety of reasons, of which RL business was certainly one. As I have pointed out, this has allowed the flow of the campaign to lose its momentum in some ways, but I think we have a rekindling that will hopefully see this through to completion or all of our spectacular deaths, whichever comes first.

For my part, returning to the temple of Ishtar/Isis was only on my radar as some remote thing to be done after the current campaign was completed. We can return there if we think it will be useful. There are some portals below the temple that lead to caves that some drow were using for transit. We did not investigate much further there because we lacked firepower to battle a bunch of drow (a couple of folks had dropped out at that point) and our attention was focused on the Queen's unborn children.

I am happy to backtrack to any area that we think will be useful at this point. The fact that the stones have to be augmented with silver to affect the weather means that they could be anywhere. The absence of headaches after we claimed the other stones still puzzles me.
What's supposed to be in the <date> field there? Or did the book not reveal that info?
I will have to check with Arri, but I don't think a date was provided.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

edit: Explained.
Last edited by Magile on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

the <date> is left blank because I could not find the 'DATE" that Myrkul was killed to lock in that date with timeline wise you can figure that date is a few months prior to that happening
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

So, somewhere around 1358, which is... x years ago... and... gah! I am NOT up on my FR/alfa lore anymore *goes to google stuff*

Magile, you're fine, terrific, for bringing up suggestions and attempting to infuse direction to the group (definitely needed, and no small feat). I'd really encourage you to not take Mick's post or my posts as shooting your thoughts down, just offering different perspectives/explanations and possible alternatives.

We all have different styles of processing discussions/group planning; I tend to favor early input from differing points of view and seeing them get directed towards a focused direction eventually (as long as things do coalesce eventually - if things just keep getting bogged down then not so much) so I tend to assume people are ok with that as well. Slightly different story while during a DM/group session, as this generally isn't the best use of time then.

This approach also happens to work I think with Aglaril's very average CHA and allows opportunity for others to step up and lead/contribute without having to be be super high levels.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

The take on Aglaril's conundrum is a fair one; his role/duty as well as promises he made personally to the Lewyrr of Alaron mean he needs to check in on them. Due to a combination of what Mick described but mostly RL eventually taking me out of the picture, I never got to have Aglaril return to check in on the Lewyrr. The end result seems to be that any unresolved trouble (mutant crocs and their true cause) in the area was completely unknown to everyone for over a year until the newer group started to run into them. Speaking purely ICly, it's a huge oversight on Aglaril's part (although he has a somewhat valid basis/higher priority for suddenly disappearing when the player is gone in RL) and I'd expect consequences.

I've been pushing off a visit to the Lewyrr (along with a laundry list of things that he should have been doing these past weeks, purely ICly) largely for ooc reasons. However if the group is in Alaron and keen to look into the croc situation, that does work well in terms of direction for the session this weekend and fits neatly into resolving Ag's situation.

So! Barring major unexpected turn of events during the week (what's the old motto from ALFA1 SD folks? Expect the unexpected?), looks like that's shaping up as the plan for the weekend. I've been hesitant to post too much in terms of direction for various reasons (besides Aglaril's CHA, I'm also not in game nearly as much as other folks during the week), opting for more information/suggestions whenever possible, but this seems like a good time... especially since Zova's player apparently rarely posts! ;)

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Hey all. Wanted to apologise for not making it to this one. I've been ill with a bad cold all week and I guess my will power couldn't override my bodies demands. Nobody to blame but myself and cursed mortal failings.

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and I'm green with envy. I'll make the next one and set 2 alarm clocks this time from now on.

When is the next event?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Next session scheduled with Ari is Sunday the 22nd, no need to apologize for being sick.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=52066

There's some wrapup/followup to last night that maybe can happen before then... We have an unexpected 'bundle' we picked up last night, reporting to the Lewyrr (possible rewards?), and possibly loot distribution (i've no idea what was picked up other than the 2 items Aglaril found with an extended search, will post in loot thread).

There may possibly be 2-3 dungeons in the area from past sessions that might be explorable even without a DM on (will check with Ari first).

Lots to talk about/plan for...

Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will NOT make the 22nd. In fact I will not be available on a weekend until Sunday, November 5. Then I will have Saturday November 11 and Sunday November 12 ... and then I won't have any weekends until December. I don't think I am really going to be able to meaningfully participate in the campaign. :(
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

It's midweek... there's obviously stuff been going on with the aftermath of last week's session and the mystery hatchling, who seems to have become the focal point of efforts so far (understandably).

Aglaril suggested a visit to a druid grove with a moonwell with the child.

There may also a relatively quick and painless test to attempt: cast a number of different Sleep type of spells on her, and observe reaction. If she does fall asleep, give her a haircut while asleep, examine scalp. If she does not fall asleep, that may possibly be telling in of itself (depending to some extent on how Ari rules casters' awareness of saving throws made/spells resisted/spell immunity).

However Aglaril will not strongly push for getting every answer sorted immediately concerning the hatchling; if anything he comes across as oddly ambivalent or conflicted about the whole thing, and eventually would say the group needs to move on and focus on other leads unless something new or critical comes up concerning the hatchling.

Other possible leads that have been brought up recently that might best suit a group effort:

1. Retracing earlier steps: return to Macsheean, possibly other ruins that were cleared before
2. More recent leads: Oman/Moray
3. personal plot follow through (Arizma? I don't know the details of this - may tie into #1)
4. the love stone? (lack any details on this)

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

With the idea of her being some dark godspawn being on the table, Mal does not want her brought to some significant magic well.

We know the powers we're working against, currently, corrupt natural lands (see also: epic dire crocs, storms, etc). Bringing the child, if she's not actually a Good Guy(tm), to the heart of such a thing might cause more harm than good. Better to ask the druids to make a house call.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Camellia presents an old poem. "I found this in the Lodge.. the writings... might be pertinent to our current situation. I am uncertain... however, I will attempt to carefully analyse the words:

The Mother's land a soggy curse

"Difficult to be certain, however this might refer to the Macsheen ruins? However it might also refer to a swampy environment, tainted by evil. I know not of such a place. Or it could refer to the general idea of the stones causing great rains to fall"

by muted magic most perverse

"A spell with no words perhaps? This is a strong reference to the stones, which seem to act without any actual words being spoken or incantation. Perverse is also a curious word to use, with its relation to sin implying something unholy. "

after rain returns . . . . the sun
When three waters bloody run

"This seems to be providing a time, and a location. Possibly some 'event' happens with the cycle of water. However we encounter a contradiction in our line of thought. 'After rain returns' implies there was no rain before.. so how can a land be 'soggy'? This could imply that the water encountered does not come from rain... a marshland perhaps? Some kind of Bog? Something that has three tributaries joining together... "

Beasts of teeth and leather skin

"Reptiles perhaps? "

guard the key to destroy within

"A fortress clearly. Some kind of fortress in the middle of the Bog..."

]bound without lid, key or hinge

"This... unsettles me. Perhaps it means the next stone exist somewhere outside our normal reality or way of thinking. When is a box not a box? "

purest grace will chaos . .astringe

"Astringe has an awful lot of meanings...to draw together? Pure grace, could mean one of love? Love brings chaos... Love is a powerful emotion... but it feels out of place. Perhaps it is a warning? Those who have great capacity for love will only bring chaos? or will they hold back chaos? It's extremely vague, I can not be certain what it means."

Summary:

"The Giant's fortress fits the general location... but not the 'leather skin' part. However the bog there is quite large, and its the only 'soggy' area I know of that fits with being perpetually wet. There is a cursed moonpool there too. Perhaps we need to be there at a particular time when the sun comes out? Or perhaps.. it refers to a 'blood ritual' upon those tainted waters... if this is the case, then I am at a loss. There is simply no way we can access a stone that requires us to further taint the Goddess Land."
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

The Mother's land a soggy curse
by muted magic most perverse
after rain returns . . . . the sun
When three waters bloody run
Beasts of teeth and leather skin
guard the key to destroy within
bound without lid, key or hinge
purest grace will chaos . .astringe

Aglaril upon hearing of the poem would become even more pensive than before if the child-hatchling comes up in conversation or is close by.

Planning-wise he'd (reluctantly) seem more open to suggestions that involve focusing on her.