Organizing loot distribution

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Organizing loot distribution

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril opened the strange looking, slightly magical bag freshly acquired from the dwarven ruins. Reaching into the bag's opening, the Elf began to draw out various objects, some of them clearly too large to fit into a normal bag of such size...

"Well! Here they are... the various baubles and nice things. I shall describe my findings for you in detail, so incline your ears to me."

A heavy suit of metal armor dropped to the ground with a clang, glinting as it caught the recently returned sunlight...

((We can save time if people would read this thread and sort things out here at least in part/use this as reference.

+1 full plate market value 2650gp

20% magic bag market value 1000gp

Mask of Hiding 900gp market value (?)

Gloves of Dex +1 1000gp

CLW pots x6 total market value 300gp
CMW pot x3 900gp total, 300gp each
1 Bulls Str pot 300gp

gems, tradebars total value probably about 600gp after resale

1 pair of non magical gold earrings, 4 books covering various topics ('Of the Four Major Focuses', 'Of Fighting Corrupted Spirits', 'Fey Feuds', 'Islands of the Sword Coast vol3: Ruathym'): value unknown

Total value accounting for 50% resale of items: 4100gp; split 7 ways, 585gp each

iirc, method used last time:

- whoever gets a nice item that's costly enough (relative to total 'pot') foregoes coin
- unclaimed items are sold and the coin split evenly
- In case of unusually/disproportionately valuable item going to someone, they usually forgo coin AND pay additional coin into the 'pot', standard rate is half of item's market value. i.e. In exchange for 1 person getting a super valuable item, the others get more coin.

-if 2 or more people want the same item, various options might be suggested:
1. handle completely ICly case by case based on PC/party alignment, personality, best interest of entire party, etc.
2. appeal to Tymora: coin flip, card draw, etc
3. pay into the pot for item, effectively bidding for it; item goes to higher 'bidder'. Works best if interested parties are of similar wealth/levels, probably not a good method for current group.
Spoiler:
Note: there is a more mathematically fair standard method as outlined in the PBH - everything found is converted into cash value taking into account approximately 50% buyback rate (in this case the total is about 4100gp, split 7 ways = 585gp each), items claimed count (at 50% value) against a claimer's share. i.e. if Joe takes the gloves of dex, he'd only get 85gp cash since he's taking an item that's worth 500gp to the group if liquidated. If John took the armor (1325 value liquidated), he'd actually need to pay/owe 740gp to the pot, which would then be split among the others (total share of the other 6 would then be 708gp).

We don't seem to use the PHB method too often around here for whatever reason, but do note that the other method heavily favors the one or two people who lucked out and got a very valuable item, and short changes the rest of the party (John would get a nice magic armor without any additional cost while everyone else gets 246gp less each); in campaigns/servers where crafting and useful valuable items are relatively hard to come by, this gulf can be magnified even more.

The 2 obvious candidates for the full plate are Rhone and Aiden. I would vote for Rhone if she doesn't already have magical full plate as Aiden got a nice shiny magic sword last stash; if Rhone doesn't need it I'd say it goes to Aiden.

Aglaril has no interest in any of the items.

some level of response here ICly or OOC would be welcome, so we can speed things up ingame))
Last edited by Ithildur on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Re: Organizing loot distribution

Post by Mick »

Arizma has no interest in any of the items, but would take a potion or two of healing (whichever flavor is left over...the CMWs should probably go to front-line types.) She will take a cut of coin, as usual.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((items handed to Toby; I need to head to bed somewhat early tonight

also the mystery boots of move silently +3... left with Toby, Sai, Arizma, and Aiden ))

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Bu wants it all.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Toby proceeds to visit various shops selling off what he can....

((Is anyone interested in the lesser gloves of dexterity +1 or the mask of hiding +3?, perhaps Lunette? ))
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I would take the mask of hiding, but I'm in serious need of healing and invis potions
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

((What about the bag of holding folks? does anyone want to keep it?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((thanks for selling stuff AK. I was afk all day as expected except for moments i could log into forums/irc via phone))

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Analogkid wrote:((What about the bag of holding folks? does anyone want to keep it?
Yes.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Found during last night's return to the ruins:

Potion/oil of Keen Edge (750gp market value)
Wand of Lessor Vigor (750gp market value)

another potion was found by Arizma I believe?

Wand is usable only by Rhone or Bu (whoever is around the most I suppose), oil probably is best used by a rapier or kukri user (Toby or Sai, Toby I think regularly preps Keen Edge so probably Sai). If no one is interested in the oil it'll sell for approximately 375gp.

No one seems to have expressed interest in the bag aside from Bu?

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

May I suggest selling the keen edge potion and buying some healing consumables, being as we seem to need those all-to-often :-) Perhaps using it towards another healing wand for someone?
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

If Sai doesn't want the oil, then I suppose it's getting sold, unless toby or someone else wants it (can't imagine arizma or bu being interested; maybe ... balkr?)

A small ooc request... Aglaril turned down/ignored Arizma's asking about chipping in coin for the Stone to Flesh (1650gp) scroll, but after further thought I'd like to ask if a couple of PCs whom it would be IC for to do so would offer to chip in a bit for 2 reasons: 1. so that the un-petrifying of the dwarf can be more a party effort and 2. at the rate things have been going, Aglaril's going to be broke eventually; his expenditures have been modest (Remove Curse scrolls, the stone to flesh, one expensive potion, quartz box, scrying mirror, various miscellaneous scrolls) for a high lvl, but his income has been that of a low/mid level, so overall, it's been a steady net loss so far.

He's also planning on making a number of donations soon to gain favor with the Queen and other reasons, at which point he will end up near broke. :oops: :lol:

At which point he might start looking for a dragon's lair to rob, or some other desperate measure. :hic:

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

The potion Arizma found was a Potion of Haste/Speed.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

I generally have keen edge prepared so I don't need the oil.

Lunette ended up taking the bag today, so Toby has some more gold to give out to the party. This was on top of the mask already promised to her.

As for pitching in some gold,Toby has some he can spare for helping the dwarf,but we likely need to talk about doing something that will earn us some coin very soon, not just hope for the best when we do our good works.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((The two potions are both useful combat potions, though the short duration (usually 5 rounds) of the haste potion make it a bit of a toss up (can be handy for a small group without other escape means running away). 50 RL Minutes of Keen for a kukri/rapier/scimitar is usually quite useful, though given the pace of our sessions it's probably not going to cover more than 2-3 battles even inside a dungeon. Does anyone want either potion? If not that's 750gp divided 5-6 ways.

I'd imagine whether Balkr gets a cut at this point will be up for debate among various PCs.

Aglaril would say he earned a fair share... surprisingly enough ))