A Stoney problem(formerlyThe Cursed)

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

A Stoney problem(formerlyThe Cursed)

Post by Ithildur »

Ah, endless starlight glistening above in the night sky's open canopy... the salty scent and soothing sound of the ocean below... cool, quiet breeze rustling through branches... the sweet scent and steady breath of a young maiden fair yet strong, sleeping in her tent nearby... most of all, the presence of the blessed waters of the Moonwell... should have been a peaceful, even enjoyable watch these past days and nights...

But there was something else... another presence nearby, of a thing... and yet more than a thing... and the pain, the throbbing pain... the images and twisted memories, nightmarish and torturous. Seldarine, how long?

((This thread is being started to hopefully organize/summarize/coordinate efforts towards dealing with the plot on MS based on/around the friday night sessions. I think organization and collaboration is generally a good idea barring things like characters in conflict actually working to undermine each others' efforts and such... which I'm pretty sure isn't happening (tensions/dislikes between a couple of PCs notwithstanding, so far hasn't reached that point anyway)... yet!

I wish I had time and energy these days to write out long IC posts like in days of yore (good memories) but it's just not feasible atm, so for my part at least there will be some mix of IC and ooc, or IC communication written out in 'shorthand' form oocly. If this is objectionable to anyone (especially the DM) please let me know, but I generally think some ooc communication/semi tabletop style is better than none at all, especially since our current game usually doesn't seem well suited to feature a deep level of character/faction conflict like in the past (at least overtly; kudos if there's secretive stuff going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of). I suspect with current numbers/level of activity that this holds largely true for other folks as well, so I'm hoping this is helpful.))

((Summary of current events Aglaril would disclose to those who come and visit him and Caine where they're camped out - Aglaril would also fill Caine in on the below))

- dangerous undead warriors are stirring in/around macsheean ruins; when defeated in battle, they crumble into dust and reform later - they seem to be lead by some kind of red mist-entity; a local druidess named Mortacia suspects the mist is a vampire (or vampire-ish thing) without it's body possibly
-from interviewing the priest of kelemvor at macsheean and the druidess, some of the undead warriors seem to once have been 'Blood Warriors' from the days when the Beast roamed the isles; others (they seem to wear cloaks) may have once been guardians in the ruined temple of Myrkul in the ruins.

- exploration of passage below the ruins led to discovery of secret chambers; a chamber (only accessible via portal, the portal is 2 way and blocks access to undead) holding dozens of coffins was found. one coffin was broken; one was forced open by PCs and a black stone found inside taken. The coffin had ancient runes covering it which was partially deciphered and seemed to say something about a curse.
-black stone seems to be causing severe headaches, messing with people's memories/dreams, making animals violent when nearby; dirt or bags of holding do not block it's effects.

-group returned to the passages below the ruins via a different entrance point, discovered what may be the red mist's lair, was set upon while unprepared by much tougher cloaked undead warriors, had to retreat

-druidess is not happy the stone has been brought to her wood and is affecting plants and animals; the spot where it currently rests it's clear that the vegetation around it is dead/dying; moonwell seems to provide some relief from effects of the stone but druidess fears it will taint the moonwell eventually.

Questions/problems facing the group:

immediate issue is the stone; Toby is apparently working on obtaining a lead container to see if the material has any effect on shielding/dampening the stone's effect. In the meantime the druidess expects it to be gone within a few days ((friday's session probably)). Caine, myself, and my familiar are guarding it; Alarm spell has been cast at the spot where it's buried, etc. with only the Moonwell's proximity likely providing sufficient relief to make the watch bearable.

If the lead box fails (which wouldn't surprise me) or is unobtainable, other options are to attempt to destroy it or to return it where it was found. It was hoped that the stone might play some part in either ending the curse or weakening these undead; bringing it back to Macsheean might yield some answers on those fronts as well as allowing us to get it back to someplace where it won't affect living things and would be out of the reach of the undead. However it's also highly risky; having it fall into their hands (or even merely come into proximity) might be precisely what the mist entity wants (but could not obtain because the portal was warded against undead).

There's always the option of seeking to unearth more lore/information about the stone and in general/about vampire-ish mists, but that may take quite a bit of time, which may not be a luxury.

Another way to obtain answers is a return visit to the underground lair; higher risk, but potentially quicker results than traveling around the Isles ((Aglaril does know Teleport which helps)) picking the brains of gods knows how many people - Seldarine these Isles need a Candlekeep or Vault of Sages! If the elite hooded warriors exhibit the same kind of tactics as the lesser ones (consistently swarming less hardy targets), combat could be extremely difficult without relying on invisibility or other tactics - for that matter have we confirmed whether they can see the invisible or not? I intend to find out one way or another, as well as exploring other possible weaknesses. I've a few things in mind that should allow us to deal with one or two groups of such foes, but if there are more or if they reform quickly enough, things could go poorly once more... several - perhaps all of them - seemed to be my match with blade.

In the final analysis regardless, force of blade and spell will not be sufficient; we need answers... what the mist is, what it seeks, what the black stone is and what is to be done with it, and more. If/when we return to the lair it probably will be to seek answers not necessarily for a final confrontation, relying on magical means for a quick exit.

Also, some have speculated whether the stone could be a soul gem but such things for the time being lie beyond my own lore...
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: The Moonwell, the Maiden, and the Stone

Post by Arianna »

CLARIFICATION
- dangerous undead warriors are stirring in/around macsheean ruins; when defeated in battle, they dissolve into (gas? mist?) and reform later - they seem to be lead by some kind of red mist-entity; a local druidess named Mortacia suspects the mist is a vampire (or vampire-ish thing) without it's body possibly
The bodies quickly rot away and turn to dust which blows away on the wind, seeming to reform later
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

As each day passes, those staying near the stone , find that their dreams become more and more vivid and disturbing on a personal level, The weather is atrocious, and the ring of vegetation die off is becoming larger. The blessings of the Moonwell that seem to blanket the mind like a soothing balm seem to lessen each day. Those in regular close proximity to the stone find themselves becoming increasingly irritable with others.

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((Any responses, questions, input from other folks involved? either ic or ooc? If nothing else it'd be good to have at least some preliminary thoughts re: what to do/where to go by the time the session starts friday night))

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

It had been hours since he had climbed up the rough-hewn path that lead up the mountainside; the stones scraping under his feet, willing to toss the less focused climber off to their fate. It was a path that most avoided, but called out like a sirens song to a select few.
There he sat; eyes gazing forward, his low prayer barely audible over the whistling that the shrine produced. It gave Kalas a sense of detached humor whenever he looked upon the simple stone seat and the paired pillars whistling their song. After all; how many would look at this and see it's true importance as one of the Rider's monuments?
The time trickled by as he attempted to ask his choosen Patron for guidence about the stone. It had been his first such attempt to do so, and it didnt sit well with him. Shaundakul was a God that instilled self-reliance on his followers; asking him to tilt the scale in ones favor over-much seemed to ring of timidity. It did seem that desperation can overcome pride and a host of other emotions.
He focused on the images of destroying the stone in his mind , waiting for some sense of divine direction that he could understand. Next; he brought forth images of them returning the Stone to its former resting place, waiting again for a sign that he could make sense of. ( Need some dice rolls here )
Clammering back down the rocky trail, he made his way back to the sunken-eyed group that guarded the source of their malcontent...
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Toby and Kalas made their way to the camp that Caine and Aglaril had set up, yet even as they made their way...a dull pain and agitation began to gnaw at them. Seeing how the stone had affected the two, Toby and Kalas simply informed them that they had brought the lead lined box that Toby had previously promised to bring and allowed them to continue to anxious rest.

The pain and headache though....it was terrible....so...Toby and Kalas drank of the well to sooth their minds, then they could turn to their agreed upon plan. They soon began to dig up the ground where the cursed black stone was buried, eventually finding it.

"Hells the pain in my head is terrible" so Toby thought, as he ran off to get another drink from the moonwell which seemed to calm him. Kalas soon followed suit.

Both soon returned to the now exposed stone and as they had agreed...would try to remove the curse upon....Toby through the use of his arcane knowledge...and Kalas through his Gods favor...both coordinated to cast upon the stone at the same time....

All they felt was a bolt of pain at the same time!

The attempt to remove the curse had failed...

Toby was forced to deal with the matter best he could...

he magically placed the stone inside a lead lined box, then closed it....then again..magically placed the box inside another lead lined box.

He and Kalas were able to notice that the power that the stone had seemed to weaken upon them...they again buried the stone within the boxes and knew it was only temporary solution, but for now it seemed the the power of the stone was weakened.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Well, so much for that attempt," Aglaril gave a small, somewhat resigned snort, before rubbing his temples one last time out of irritation more than actual pain, which did seem to have decreased. "So the lead seems to have some effect at least... better than none. I doubt we have the means to create a vault of lead with ten foot thick walls."

"Any other ideas besides the ones discussed already? I can use a spell of Polymorph of course to shapeshift into something like an umberhulk that can bury the box much deeper underground, but with our luck eventually that'll probably result in an infestation of subterranean creatures like ankhegs or actual umberhulks driven mad and creating new problems... I'm sure the Druidess would just LOVE that."

"I can teleport four others besides myself to someplace like Caer Callydiir if we aim to do more fact finding the safe way," Aglaril paused, then added drily. "I'm reasonably confident I won't teleport us into a rock as long as I'm familiar with the place - though I can't guarantee you might not need a bag for catching the contents of your stomach upon arrival."

"Speaking of such things, there's always the option of returning to the underground passage we explored last time for answers, possibly with the stone inside the box with us, and using short or long distance teleportation to get us out of trouble if need be. We can attempt to see if the stone has any effect on the cloaked ones or perhaps even the red mist itself, which might yield answers... but the risks are high for multiple reasons as stated already. We would have the benefit of going in better knowing the level of danger this time, though a straight up fight with groups of the elite ones will still result in a bloodbath for most."

"I cannot help but wonder if we missed some relevant details from the day we explored the chambers that led to the portal... it may be too late, but a trip back to that side might have some merit. There's also the tomes and such discovered that night which Toby has on his person; maybe those hold some answers we haven't yet considered."

"So, what say you?"

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

Kalas rubbed his temples with a wince after the attempt to rid the stone of whatever curse was on it.
"Nine bloody Hells, who's idea was that?" he muttered as he took a seat around the campfire.
"Got a few ideas that been driftin' through my mind..." He looked to all that were assembled (you know who you are )
"First off; been thinkin' of tryin ta talk with that corpse we found near that portal thingee." "Best come up with some good questions fer him though."
"Second; might try'n talk ta one of them hooded bastards." "Normally deaders aint got anything ta say, but these aint no normal deaders.."
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

The day after reburying the stone inside the boxes finds you better refreshed and less ready to throttle your companions, the weather is still erratic and the die off of vegetation while slowed greatly, is still measurable even if only in inches rather than feet now. Only vague dreams bothered your sleep this past night.

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"First off; been thinkin' of tryin ta talk with that corpse we found near that portal thingee." "Best come up with some good questions fer him though."
"If the corpse is still there, I think attempting to get more information out of it is definitely a worthwhile attempt."

((suggestion: for those that have to prepare spells I'd recommend prepping for interrogation/info gathering vs combat to start off the session, i.e. skill checks, wisdom/int/cha boosts, teleport, speak with dead, etc. When we decide to go back to the ruins we can request for a DM rest and reprepping of spells; it'll mean a day passes in character but I think a 1 day delay is worth it if it means we get information that might make a big difference.

The key is where we choose to go for fact gathering at the onset; Aglaril can prep 2 teleports at the start of session for a single instant travel to/from location x on the Isles. To do this again will require rest/another day's delay.

Doesn't anyone else have access to Scry? Aglaril currently doesn't have access to a scrying mirror of his own on the Moonshaes, but he has received permission from the Queen to use a mirror in her laboratory when pursuing leads for a plot that AK was running last year; not sure if that's an option at this point/entirely up to DM obviously))
Last edited by Ithildur on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

*through this ordeal Caine has remained resolved to guard the rock and keep this area safe from attackers. Her face has been shadowed as she goes about the mundane tasks of camping. Her annoyance has been taken out while dragging up driftwood and splitting logs for the fire. Whenever possible she would walk along the beach and forage for food, finding clams, crabs, and even fishing. Watching the proceedings she heard mention of visiting Calidyrr.*

"I'll go to Calidyrr if needed. We can see if the Queen will hear us and maybe consult the Council of Mages. We could also speak with the Chaunteans at the temple there, even bring the gem for them to examine now that we have it contained?"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"How many questions can we ask Mr. Stiffly if we find that he's still there? Aside from the obligatory 'What is your favorite color?' 'So what's it like being a corpse?' types of queries, I think a fair opener (assuming that the answers from a corpse will be rather less than comprehensive) would be:

'What were you doing when you died?' - or perhaps more simply, 'Why are you here?'

Aglaril nods to Caine.

"Callydiir seems to be an obvious default choice as far as research, with the most options as far as resources and knowledgeable people."

Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Having gone to Callidyrr to do research with mixed results . . . the party returned once more to the ruins armed with a little more information.
Toby cast a remove curse on one of the Cloaked figures and it had the effect of turning it to bones rather then dust it seemed to stop and smile as it died.
Kalas cast a speak with dead upon the desiccated corpse. Asking first "What do you know of the black stones in the coffins through the portal?" The corpse answered in a dry raspy whisper " one stone in coffins,sow discord". Asking second "How were ya controlling the hooded ones was the next one?" to which the corpse answered "How is the curse broken?". The final question "How is the curse broken?" yielded the answer " Remove it" as the spell expired . . . . .
The group then returned to the crypt accessible via the portal and placed the stone back in the coffin it was removed from, placing the lid upon it, though they had no means by which to seal it again. All but Aglaril returned to Kingsbay, Aglaril chose to stay at the Temple of Kelemvor to pursue other thoughts

*Those who retired to the Inn afterwards overheard the locals saying the last few days had been good fishing and were hopeful the salmon would run again.............

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

(Thanks for the summary Arri; highlights the sense of ongoing narrative, that stories involving player characters continue in ALFA - as well as giving us a chance to recap)

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Lunette quietly observed. She heard of course of these events. She saw the box, felt and endured the pain as they slid it back into place. She was only there as a commoner. A citizen of Low Hill and thus just thought an evil thing was best destroyed. Still, inexperienced and not at all knowing of what was best in these circumstances she offered her assistance with locks, traps, scouting ... Activating magical devices or well, wherever she could be useful. Not that it was noticed. She idly slipped a few gold coins from a corpse they killed, wasn't as if the others needed it. Though in the end, she was there as an observer. At least nobody died this time...

"So what did you do..." She glanced up at the stars as if it was a question from her god. "I was there. But that's okay. So are the stars..."