Intelligence and After-Action Reports (Discover)

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Re: Intelligence and After-Action Reports (Discover)

Post by StephenUmpf »

The word spreads rapidly through the Isles. Lord Veneshuel has fallen. It shakes the foundations of the realm.

The news usually follows the same pattern among the common ffolk.

“The Lord Veneshuel died in the Nelanther isles.”

“How in the hells did that happen? He was one powerful and noble bastard.”

“He was with a group searching for the artifact that the bloody witches are after. You know the witches that have been stirring up trouble with every friggin tribe of evil creatures in the isles”

An awkward silence, then the question is asked and answered slowly and solemnly,

“What is this artifact?”

“It is rumored to control dragons, but the real question is what ungodly creations did they disturb in digging for it.”

**PLEASE ADD YOUR STORIES HERE, EXP WILL BE REWARDED**

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
- Julies Caesar, Act II, William Shakespeare
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((these aren't exactly 'Intelligence/afteraction reports' I realize btw, though they do present some details of ingame events... at this juncture it doesn't feel IC for Aglaril to be submitting such reports to anyone especially since he's barely interacted with any NPCs at all; however if anyone feels they don't belong in this thread I'm happy to move them elsewhere))

Struggling with paradox, balancing apparent contradictions, reconciling two disparate elements that at least on the surface did not go together... this was hardly new to Aglaril. In fact, it was in many ways his entire life now: a Bladesinger who blended martial prowess and the Arts arcana, an Elven protector who for the past year (though but a blink of time to an Elf) had spent his time more with N'Tel'Quessir than with his own kin.

However, his present circumstances while in the Moonshaes were taking things to another level, and the death of Drake only served to highlight this. Life in the Realms could be harsh, and there was little time nor indeed reason to mourn the passing of creatures whose entire existence was one of twisted testimony and servitude to evil and darkness: the orcs, goblinoids, the Drow, the many abberations and vile undead he had crossed paths with. But the likes of humans... they always made things more complicated did they not, even the less noble among them?

Aglaril knew the warnings, the rumors, the reports, many vague and obscure, some contradicting the others... Drake was not an unknown figure among certain circles, even aside from his status of nobility in the Isles.

Nobility... the Elf mused briefly.

Regardless, in the split second's moment of choice, he had not hesitated to turn back before the rest of the group had a chance to regroup, to return to the chamber and attempt to get him out to safety. The lighting was poor, the pale countenance could very well have been the result of exposure to the poisonous cloud (the fool! Why did he linger in that place?) that Fumir had just dealt with, or whatever it was that had laid him low so quickly; with his meager skills in such things, Aglaril could not be entirely certain that the prone man was even alive - but still he had not hesitated.

Or had he?

By the time he somersaulted past the skeletons and reached the fallen man, precious seconds had passed; he recalled how it had felt like time itself had slowed, and remembered how leaden his steps felt, remembered fumir's twin blades flashing. He remembered grabbing the prone Drake, and immediately glancing about, ready to utter the incantation that would take them out... but to where? The rest of the group had fallen back to regroup further down the corridor, somewhere past the corner - but he thought for a moment that he could hear Thais' distinct steps rushing forward... where was she? He had cast a spell of seeing to help him keep track of her; had it been dispelled, or was he imagining what he heard?

Precious seconds... Aglaril made up his mind, and took them through: himself, Fumir, and Drake. He had aimed for what seemed like a sound fallback point: the chamber around the corner. It was enough distance that the skeletons could not bother them for a few moments, yet the rest of the group would be close by. Syllables of arcane power quickly uttered, and instantly they were on the other side. As often with casting such forms of teleportation it took a moment for Aglaril to recover from the jaunt, and precious more seconds passed by even as Fumir scrambled to open a vial.

It was then they both realized Drake was no longer breathing.

Aglaril found himself surprised by the twinge of regret that passed through him, even now, at the memory.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

The following letter is posted at the entrances to most merchants in the Port of Skaug. As the adventurers walk through the town, they are given side eyed glances and hear the townsfolk whispering.
Dear Fine Citizens of the Port of Skaug:

I will make this brief as I can, but regardless of my brevity, I will not yield on this point, the adventurers claiming to be out for your best interest are truly villains.

Here are a few of the true names of these scoundrels:
Balkr, the forked tongued preacher
Tha’is, the dancer of lies
Zyrus, the blue fish butcher
Furmir, the fraud of frauds
Aglaril, the self-righteous self-grandiose selfish-elf
Aseel, the twister of truth

The facts are these. I have employed sailors of this town. I have paid them handsomely. They have done nothing under my employ against this town or that in anyway could be construed as an act of aggression. In spite of this, these adventurers have cut them down and made orphans of their children and widows of their wives.

One of these attacks occurred within the walls of the Port. In this particular grievous and unprovoked affair, these adventurers at the end of good faith negotiations but yet still under the protection of that same negotiations attacked your sailors under my pay. They then proceeded to kill and maim all that stood to protect me from their evil intentions.

I am not asking from you any undue favors; I am asking from you to turn your back to them and no longer provide them service in your establishments.

They are truly villains.

Sincerely,

A Collector of Wonders

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
- Julies Caesar, Act II, William Shakespeare
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Aglaril pauses to look over one of the letters. A shadow passes over his face for a brief moment as a single golden brow arches. Quickly however, his expression turns to one of mild amusement as he enters the establishment.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt